Anyone use the Obi VOIP device?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Browser

Anyone use the Obi VOIP device?

Post by Browser » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:25 am

Am getting one to try out. I'd like to be able to use the device with all the phone lines in an apartment. Has anybody tried this, or know how to do it?
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.

trackermike

Re: Anyone use the Obi VOIP device?

Post by trackermike » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:57 am

Yes, and I love it. We only use the landline sporadically, but it's nice to have my number that rings all of our phones (including cell phones) at once in case someone needs to get a hold of my wife and I. The only thing that has been strange is that when it rings all of our phones, it's not consistent in whose voicemail picks up after 4 rings. Call quality has been good, there have only been a couple of cases where there was a delay/pinging noise in the background and I think this is also when we were using internet/netlix heavily at the same time.

Mike
-- | Mike | | "...no one ever had "I achieved alpha" inscribed on their tombstone." - Larry Swedroe

William4u

Post by William4u » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:35 am

trackermike wrote:Yes, and I love it. We only use the landline sporadically, but it's nice to have my number that rings all of our phones (including cell phones) at once in case someone needs to get a hold of my wife and I. The only thing that has been strange is that when it rings all of our phones, it's not consistent in whose voicemail picks up after 4 rings. Call quality has been good, there have only been a couple of cases where there was a delay/pinging noise in the background and I think this is also when we were using internet/netlix heavily at the same time.

Mike
We had the same issue with voicemail, and there is a good, simple solution. Log into google voice from a PC, click the sprocket in upper right hand corner, select voice settings, click the "Calls" tab, turn call screening to "On". What this does is require that for any forwarding phone (but NOT the Obi phone) you must press "1" to take the call, or it keeps ringing the other phones until it goes to Google Voicemail. For the Obi phone, you just pick up normally without pressing "1".

If no one presses 1 (or picks up the Obi phone), then it always just goes to the Google Voice voicemail. This way, you don't have other voicemails picking up the call, since those voicemails cannot press "1", and so Google Voice is the only voicemail that can pick up a Google Voice call.

Gleevec

Post by Gleevec » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:33 pm

Yes, got one off of amazon. Works fantastic-- even after the Google Hangouts migration of Google Voice.

Hope this doesnt fall victim to Google axe like some of the other services I used to use from them!

Don_Qua

Post by Don_Qua » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:51 pm

We have one and love it, one of the best purchases I've made in recent years. Setup is easier than it seems and once it's up and running it's pretty much set it and forget it. I use it because call quality is much better than on a cell phone and the wife uses it to call friends and relatives in Canada gratis. My cell phone carrier is Sprint so I opted to integrate my cell phone number with Google Voice so now when I get a call both the land line and cell phone ring. The Obihai box will handle 2 phone numbers so the wife can make outgoing calls on her phone number by appending outgoing calls with **2, her incoming calls double ring British style.

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:33 pm

We like Obihai. Got an OBi202 a few months ago and after a successful test drive we recently ported our Verizon landlines. So far there is very little noticeable difference between VOIP and our old POTS landlines. We ported our numbers to Callcentric and we have a Google Voice number to make/receive free phone calls. The monthly cost savings are considerable: we went from $50/month to $6/month for 2 phone #s.

You can use Google Voice for free to test drive your Obihai device. You can also obtain a free incoming phone # from Callcentric (have to pay to have outgoing VOIP service). Make sure you are have thoroughly tested VOIP before porting #s. It can be a PITA.

http://www.callcentric.com/dids/free_phone_number

Also, run a VOIP quality of service test on your internet connection to see if it can support optimal call quality. You don't need to have all green lights to use VOIP, but if QoS is really poor then VOIP may not work well for you.

http://www.voipqualitytest.com/

Is fax important you? Fax machines don't like VOIP. That being said, with some tweaking, my fax machine works fine with both GV and Callcentric.

The one thing I don't like about Obihai is that their tech support is the pits. They pretty much leave you to fend for yourself. Luckily there are a lot of resources online if you are moderately computer savvy.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Browser

Post by Browser » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:27 pm

smackboy - thanks for the helpful info, including the quality test site. I hope I don't have too much hassle with VOIP. One think I want to do is to be able to block outgoing caller ID. Not sure if I can do this with google voice. I think callcentric and other's have this feature. Do you know for sure?

wander

Post by wander » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:49 pm

I have Obihai. It's great thing money can buy. I don't have any problem that I need to call tech support so it 's not a big deal to me.

Browser

Post by Browser » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:59 am

I read that you can plug the Obi into one of your phone jacks, instead of a phone, and then you can use one or more phones that are plugged into other phone jacks in your house. You can't have regular phone service at the same time, just the Obi. Has anyone done this and does it work?

Don_Qua

Post by Don_Qua » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:38 am

Browser wrote:I read that you can plug the Obi into one of your phone jacks, instead of a phone, and then you can use one or more phones that are plugged into other phone jacks in your house. You can't have regular phone service at the same time, just the Obi. Has anyone done this and does it work?
That's how I have mine setup. It lives on one of the joists in my basement, right next to my network switch (you can also plug it into an unused port on your router) out of sight and out of mind. One end of a regular RJ11 cord goes into the Obi where you might plug in a phone and the other end plugs into a phone jack in the basement. The result is that the rest of the phone jacks in the house are now hot and work just fine. We hadn't had a land line from the local telco in years but I doubt that you can share your house phone wiring between an Obi box and a line from your local telco.

Browser

Post by Browser » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:28 pm

Don_Qua wrote:
Browser wrote:I read that you can plug the Obi into one of your phone jacks, instead of a phone, and then you can use one or more phones that are plugged into other phone jacks in your house. You can't have regular phone service at the same time, just the Obi. Has anyone done this and does it work?
That's how I have mine setup. It lives on one of the joists in my basement, right next to my network switch (you can also plug it into an unused port on your router) out of sight and out of mind. One end of a regular RJ11 cord goes into the Obi where you might plug in a phone and the other end plugs into a phone jack in the basement. The result is that the rest of the phone jacks in the house are now hot and work just fine. We hadn't had a land line from the local telco in years but I doubt that you can share your house phone wiring between an Obi box and a line from your local telco.
Thanks. That's good news. I wanted to be able to locate the phone in a different room from where the Obi will be hooked up to a router, so I was hoping to just plug that phone into the available phone jack there and use it as previously with the telco. Sounds like I can do that.

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:41 pm

Yes. Depending what you want, there is an Obihai device for you. Our house is wired for 2 lines. A L1+L2 jack, and a L2 jack. The OBi202 has 2 phone ports Port 1 carries Ph 1+Ph 2, and Port 2 carries Ph 2. The phone wiring in my house is 1 big loop so I just disconnected Verizon from my house at the network interface and connect the OBi202 to any phone jack and voila, all the phone jacks in the house are live.

Note that for the OBi202 the ringer equivalence number (REN) is 5 (maybe for all their devices). This means that it carries enough low voltage to ring up to 5 traditional phone ringer circuits. Not an issue for me because I use mostly cordless phones.

If you don't have house wiring for 2 phone lines (or a 2 line phone) but you want to have VOIP + a POTS phone line I believe the OBi110 can handle that.

With Callcentric you can choose to block outgoing caller ID. Callcentric has some very powerful call routing features that would take a book to fully explain. It can do a lot more than Google Voice can.

I don't believe it's possible to block outgoing caller ID with Google Voice. But depending what you want to achieve, there maybe a workaround. With OBihai your outgoing calls do not have to be placed on the same "phone line" as your incoming calls. In fact they don't even have to be with the same VOIP provider. So what you can do is set up 2 separate GV numbers. Set up one GV number used for outgoing calls only. Call backs on that number never ring through (straight to VM). Only give out your other GV number for people to call you.

Another pitfall of GV is that it doesn't support E911.

BTW, if you want to test Google Voice VOIP, you don't even need OBihai. Just download the free Talkatone app on a wi-fi enabled smartphone.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Browser

Post by Browser » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:17 pm

Thanks for the detailed info. I got the Obi yesterday and have it hooked up and working with GV. Everything seems to be OK so far, and I'm impressed that I haven't fallen into a quagmire getting it working. I don't see anywhere that I have the option of blocking outgoing caller ID on the ObiTalk website, so I guess I'll have to try Callcentric or another VOIP service. I hope it isn't too difficult to get things set up with them. Can I do it online as with GV?

Here's an interesting and bothersome problem I've run into though. I'm trying to get this to work for my elderly mother, and I bought a Uniden phone that has a visual ringer; i.e., a yellow bar on the handset flashes when there's an incoming call. For some reason, the visual ring indicator flashes on and off all the time when I connect to the cable modem router. So does the satellite handset. I've tracked it down and it seems to be caused by the internet connection - when that's unplugged the thing stops flashing. There must be some sort of low freq impulse that comes across the ethernet connector between the router and the Obi. I've tried everything to make this stop, but to no avail. The phone doesn't have an OFF setting for the flasher, so the only way to fix the problem is probably to put tape over the flasher which is a bit tacky and then she won't have the visual ring indicator at all. I wonder if anyone has an idea what else I could try? Weird.

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:56 pm

Browser wrote:I don't see anywhere that I have the option of blocking outgoing caller ID on the ObiTalk website, so I guess I'll have to try Callcentric or another VOIP service. I hope it isn't too difficult to get things set up with them. Can I do it online as with GV?
Caller ID service is handled by the VOIP provider, not the OBi device. That being said if you ask around the OBitalk forum or do a Google search you should find what you need.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/

Everything with Callcentric is handled online. They are also one of the standard VOIP providers on the OBitalk.com website so setup on your OBi device is pretty much automatic. Callcentric tech support is pretty responsive if you run into issues. If you do not need T.38 for fax over VOIP, there are lots of other VOIP providers you can choose from too. But Callcentric's reviews are generally very positive. And if you don't mind being limited to a NY phone #, their Free Phone Number is a good price.

No idea about your mother's visual ringer problem. However, make sure she know how to reset her internet connection. Once in a while my OBi202 will lose the connection and I just have to reset the internet (Comcast) connection and reboot the OBi device. The other thing is make sure her 911 calls work. GV has no E911 capability so another VOIP provider has to be used just for 911 calls (for around $1-2/month). You can check it works by dialing 933 on the phone.

Browser

Post by Browser » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:30 pm

I solved the visual ringer problem if anyone is interested. It's not a problem with the phone but rather with GV. However, in the process I discovered another issue with GV on the Obi. I'd like to disable voicemail on GV, since my mother is used to retrieving caller messages on the phone answering machine. Unfortunately, GV voicemail kicks in and intercepts before the call can go to the answering machine. I've spent a good deal of time online and can't figure any way to disable GV voicemail. I don't believe it can be done. If anyone knows how to do it I'd be grateful for the info.

runner9

Post by runner9 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:35 pm

I'm in the planning stage to ditch our AT&T landline and internet that's now running us $62 a month. We're considering replacing it with internet only from the cable company for $15-$20 a month.

We make 10-20 local calls on our home phone and get about 10 calls a month. We do not want to ditch it completely.

I've been reading about the OBi100. (http://www.amazon.com/OBi100-Telephone- ... 004LO098O/)

This thread has a lot on Google Voice, which I understand will end on May 14.

Any suggestions on what to use instead? I've read some on the CallCentric plans, specifically Personal Unlimited or Pay Per Minute (can't figure out if you can receive on Pay Per Minute?)

Thanks!

Browser

Post by Browser » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:11 pm

runner9 wrote:I'm in the planning stage to ditch our AT&T landline and internet that's now running us $62 a month. We're considering replacing it with internet only from the cable company for $15-$20 a month.

We make 10-20 local calls on our home phone and get about 10 calls a month. We do not want to ditch it completely.

I've been reading about the OBi100. (http://www.amazon.com/OBi100-Telephone- ... 004LO098O/)

This thread has a lot on Google Voice, which I understand will end on May 14.

Any suggestions on what to use instead? I've read some on the CallCentric plans, specifically Personal Unlimited or Pay Per Minute (can't figure out if you can receive on Pay Per Minute?)

Thanks!
I set my mother up with Callcentric and have been very satisfied. Lots of features included and low cost. Customer service has been outstanding in resolving some of my needs.

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:12 pm

We have 2 OBi 202s and use Callcentric and Google Voice. The loss of GV will not be a big deal to us because we only use it for free outgoing calls. To be honest you get what you pay for, although GV quality is OK, it's not as good as Callcentric. GV calls sometimes have poor quality (some jitter, static). Callcentric has had reliably good quality (as long as I have a robust broadband connection from Comcast).

VOIP service doesn't work like regular telephone so it can't be analogized to the old way of a separate incoming and outgoing phone line for each phone number. We subscribe to a separate plan for each incoming DID phone number I want to receive calls on. Then we subscribe to a single outgoing plan for outbound calls you make using Callcentric. After subscribing to the VOIP service, we set up our devices to utilize the incoming and outgoing services. OBihai is just one such device. We can make and receive Callcentric calls on other VOIP telephone adapters, on a smart phone or tablet app (I use Zoiper on Android/iOS), on a softphone program on a PC. As long as there is a channel free we can make multiple simultaneous outgoing calls and be simultaneously receiving calls from multiple devices anywhere in the world. I can also use Callcentric like a long distance calling card and make cheap international calls from any phone.

Last month our Callcentric bill was $12. We have 3 incoming DID phone numbers on Pay Per Call ($1.95/DID/month plus 1.5 cents/minute calls) and Pay Per Minute for all outgoing calls (1.5 cents/minute calls). Our monthly fixed cost is $7.35 (incl $1.5 911 recovery fee). I paid $4.65 for all my inbound and outbound calls across all my lines and devices (310 minutes). For us, as infrequent users, a pay as you go plan made most sense.

If anyone is not sure about VOIP or Callcentric, download a free app on your smartphone, tablet, PC and try it out before investing in an OBihai device.

runner9

Post by runner9 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:47 pm

Thank you for the responses!

Any best guesses on the minimum Mbps needed to make Obi and CallCentric work well?

Also: reading the above reply, I was thinking of porting our current landline number. Does this make sense or am I missing something? We get make 4 calls a week on it and make about 15 local calls a month. If you do pay per minute you must have an incoming number, right? How else would someone call you?

earlyout

Post by earlyout » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:02 pm

runner,

Most of the VOIP service providers like voip.ms, anveo and callcentric allow you to get a new number for your incoming calls. The selection of new numbers is limited so it may be difficult to get a number with the area code you would like. The providers each have different billing schemes for incoming calls which vary from $0 to $10 per month. Some also charge per minute for incoming calls. After you have done some testing and selected a provider, you can port your current land line number to your VOIP service provider. Charges for porting your old number vary from $0 to $30 depending on the whims of the service provider. I have been using an OBi 100 with GV/anveo/voip.ms on a test basis for about 6 months and have had no problems. Voice quality, both outgoing and incoming, has been very good and comparable to my land line. I did not test Callcentric because of its higher prices and did not notice any difference between the different service providers in terms of voice quality. The biggest differences are their online/telephone support and the costs and implementation of various calling features -- 911, voice-mail, call forwarding, etc. I have settled on voip.ms since for my purposes since it functions very similar to my old land line and their charges are very low. I can replace my $36 per month land line for about $2 per month with the OBi and voip.ms.

caklim00

Post by caklim00 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:07 pm

runner9 wrote:Any best guesses on the minimum Mbps needed to make Obi and CallCentric work well?
8kbps down/8kbps up using G.729
64kbps down/64kbps up using G.711

Obi defaults to G.711 so you would need to switch default setting in Expert menu if you want to use G.729. Google only supports G.711.

I've been trying to get my mom to switch from her $50 a month landline to this (I even bought her an OBI) or buy her an OOMA, but she is so resistant to change.

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:46 pm

runner9 wrote:Any best guesses on the minimum Mbps needed to make Obi and CallCentric work well?

Also: reading the above reply, I was thinking of porting our current landline number. Does this make sense or am I missing something? We get make 4 calls a week on it and make about 15 local calls a month. If you do pay per minute you must have an incoming number, right? How else would someone call you?
I've made VOIP calls at 1 Mbps (slow DSL speeds, 3G cell data speeds). But download/upload speeds are just part of it. Quality of Service (QoS) is more important. Any lag or jitter or lost packets will make a 2 way phone call unintelligible. DSL, cable, FiOS, cell data usually works fine. Satellite might give you problems because of signal latency (delays between speaking and hearing). Test your connection using:

http://voipqualitytest.com/

Don't port your landline immediately. Sign up for service and test it before putting in a port order. It can take a few weeks for a landline to properly port, and that assumes that all parties are cooperating. Callcentric gives out Free Phone Number which is great for testing. Test your VOIP phone during periods of peak broadband traffic e.g. while streaming movies in the early evening on weekdays when everybody in your neighborhood gets home and starts going online. Don't don't tell AT&T your're porting your number or cancelling service. The port is initiated by your new VOIP provider and when it goes through, your old AT&T account will be terminated without you having to notify them. Not all providers can port all landline phone numbers. Go to the VOIP provider's website and check under Local Number Portability (LNP) to see if your number can be ported.

Needless to say if you lose power to your router and OBi or if the broadband is out, there is no phone service either. Also, be aware that like any internet device, once in a blue moon the OBihai will unexpectedly go offline e.g. after the router or modem reboots. Power cycling it will usually fix it, but while it is offline, you won't be able to receive or make phone calls. So it's not quite as idiot proof simple to use as a POTS phone.

William4u

Post by William4u » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:39 pm

earlyout wrote:runner,

Most of the VOIP service providers like voip.ms, anveo and callcentric allow you to get a new number for your incoming calls. The selection of new numbers is limited so it may be difficult to get a number with the area code you would like. The providers each have different billing schemes for incoming calls which vary from $0 to $10 per month. Some also charge per minute for incoming calls. After you have done some testing and selected a provider, you can port your current land line number to your VOIP service provider. Charges for porting your old number vary from $0 to $30 depending on the whims of the service provider. I have been using an OBi 100 with GV/anveo/voip.ms on a test basis for about 6 months and have had no problems. Voice quality, both outgoing and incoming, has been very good and comparable to my land line. I did not test Callcentric because of its higher prices and did not notice any difference between the different service providers in terms of voice quality. The biggest differences are their online/telephone support and the costs and implementation of various calling features -- 911, voice-mail, call forwarding, etc. I have settled on voip.ms since for my purposes since it functions very similar to my old land line and their charges are very low. I can replace my $36 per month land line for about $2 per month with the OBi and voip.ms.
I do not understand how voip.ms works, and their website is confusing. What do you get for $2 month? Can you get both incoming and outgoing calls? How does it work? -Thanks.

wander

Post by wander » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:48 pm

William4u wrote: I do not understand how voip.ms works, and their website is confusing. What do you get for $2 month? Can you get both incoming and outgoing calls? How does it work? -Thanks.
I've just finished setting up voip.ms for Obihai. It's not easy but it can be done.

earlyout

Post by earlyout » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:06 pm

I need to correct my monthly cost. Using voip.ms, e911, 200 minutes of outgoing calls, and 100 minutes of incoming calls (DID) are $5.50 / month. Additional calls, in or out, are 1 cent per minute. With voip.ms you make an initial deposit and they just deduct your monthly charges.

How does it work? A simplistic explanation: The Obi device is an analog telephone adapter (ATA). It converts the analog signals from your telephone into digital signals and sends the data out on the internet. The voip service provider, e.g. voip.ms, takes the data from the internet, interprets it and sends it out on the telephone network. If someone calls you, the voip service provider takes that call from the telephone network and sends it to your OBi /telephone via the internet.

To make things less confusing, companies like Vonage and Ooma bundle the service provider with the ATA and sell the bundle to the consumer as a single package. This approach is easier for the consumer to implement but costs more.

Regarding the web site, I'd start with their Wiki and the FAQ. Call the sales telephone number with your questions. They have been very good for explaining things to me.

runner9

Post by runner9 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:19 pm

Am I getting the pricing correct (or close) for voip.ms?

Inbound calls from $0.01 / Toll free: $0.024 (from their home page)

United States 0.01000000 (from rates page, is this for outgoing calls to the US (from US)?)

Guessing all pay something for E911.

We probably have 20 minutes incoming and 25 minutes outgoing a month.

EDIT: from a chat session with voip.ms, Vincent is their rep:
[Vincent] Since it basically is a usage based system, you won't find a page with an estimate as such.
Outgoing calls: http://www.voip.ms/rates.php
Inbound calls: http://www.voip.ms/dids.php
[Vincent] Those are the basic info pages.
[Vincent] E911 is optional and is $1.50 for the initial setup and $1.50 every month.
[Myself] ok, thanks. I see "Monthly Fee: $0.99 to $1.49 " on the inbound link you gave me. So 0.99 to 1.49 plus 1.50 for E911 would be a good guess for a base cost, plus per minute after that?
[Vincent] Yes. You ca count the monthly minimum along with E911 service to be $2.49 plus the usage minutes at 1c a minute (very roughly).
[Vincent] For both inbound and outbound.

Which leads to the questions: yes or no on E911? Only times I've called have been from a cell phone.

earlyout

Post by earlyout » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:10 pm

The numbers look good for inbound (DID) and outbound calling. The base of 2.49 plus the 300 minutes I mentioned above gives my total of $5.50. The nice thing is if you are away or don't use the phone very much, the price goes down.

wander

Post by wander » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:36 am

runner9 wrote:Am I getting the pricing correct (or close) for voip.ms?

Inbound calls from $0.01 / Toll free: $0.024 (from their home page)

United States 0.01000000 (from rates page, is this for outgoing calls to the US (from US)?)

Guessing all pay something for E911.

We probably have 20 minutes incoming and 25 minutes outgoing a month.

EDIT: from a chat session with voip.ms, Vincent is their rep:
[Vincent] Since it basically is a usage based system, you won't find a page with an estimate as such.
Outgoing calls: http://www.voip.ms/rates.php
Inbound calls: http://www.voip.ms/dids.php
[Vincent] Those are the basic info pages.
[Vincent] E911 is optional and is $1.50 for the initial setup and $1.50 every month.
[Myself] ok, thanks. I see "Monthly Fee: $0.99 to $1.49 " on the inbound link you gave me. So 0.99 to 1.49 plus 1.50 for E911 would be a good guess for a base cost, plus per minute after that?
[Vincent] Yes. You ca count the monthly minimum along with E911 service to be $2.49 plus the usage minutes at 1c a minute (very roughly).
[Vincent] For both inbound and outbound.

Which leads to the questions: yes or no on E911? Only times I've called have been from a cell phone.
That's what I am paying. $1.49 before 1 cent per minute calls.

runner9

Post by runner9 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:26 pm

Received Obi 100 yesterday from Amazon. While not easy, and somewhat frustrating, I did get it to work with voip.ms. The chat feature was very helpful, though it took me 3 times to do it. The Wiki is good as well, and would have saved some time if I knew to look there for detailed instructions on hooking it up.

I've made three calls, 2 long distance to the same relative and one 2 a cell phone in our house. 2 of 3 were clear, only the first call, which was long distance, was very distant and hard to hear. We're going to make a few more calls before starting to port our number.

We were at $62 for internet/phone from AT&T. On target to be at $15 plus $6 modem rental from Time Warner Cable, plus a few dollars for voip.ms a month. If that works well pay $60-$70 for a modem on own and then pay less than $20 total a month for Cable and home phone. :D

So far, with not have a DID number and no ability for incoming calls, only outgoing, we're paying a penny a minute and that's it.