Service for decreasing mail volume?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Nuvoletta

Service for decreasing mail volume?

Post by Nuvoletta » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:57 pm

Anyone have any luck with one of those services to decrease mail volume? After years of thinking I could just get off my rear and do it myself (contact each company, get on all the lists, etc), I am ready to admit defeat. I spend so much time sorting through junk mail, including so many credit card offers per week, that I feel like I am trying to ski up an avalanche. Who has the time for all this stuff?

Ideally, the service would also include getting the companies I do business with to stop sending their offers, too, but maybe that's asking too much (examples: extra insurance offers from Costco, extra "convenient checks" from credit card companies, additional solicitations from charities I do support but don't want to hear from throughout the year).

I'm the only one who gets/sorts mail in our house, can you tell? We do have a secured mailbox that I am happy about.

frugaltype

Re: Service for decreasing mail volume?

Post by frugaltype » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:15 pm

All this takes a few months to settle down.

The Direct Marketing Association will get you off a lot of lists.

I call every single catalog company that sends me stuff and say I want to get off their list and they are not to sell or rent my contact information to anyone. Periodically it is necessary to stamp out more of this, as just ordering something online can get your info spread around.

The credit bureaus sell your contact info to various credit card companies and other financial places. Tell them to stop.

If all else fails, a letter to the CEO. This is the only way I got Chase to stop sending me stuff.

Calling the credit card company will stop those checks.

I have sometimes resorted to telling them the person they are sending stuff to is deceased.

I never have managed to get Kohl's to stop, or Verizon. Their ads come from a general address and no one there claims to know where they originate. Letters to the CEOs vanish. Worse, they plasticize their ads, so they litter the country with non-recyclable stuff.

There is a huge difference since I started doing this, 1-3 postal spams a week vs a bunch a day.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Sending a "deceased" message.

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:39 pm

I have sometimes resorted to telling them the person they are sending stuff to is deceased.
Frugaltype:

Be careful. I had a friend who did this. He said it brought him unexpected hassle, especially after it was reported to the credit rating companies. He said it was a mistake even though it gave his friends a good laugh.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

rec7

Post by rec7 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:50 pm

What I did was write on each peace of mail.
Return to sender. Please take me off your mailing list.
The sender then has to pay for the letter to go back. It is a small amount of money but you would be surprised how fast they get the message. I think there was only one or two places I had to do this to twice.
P.S. It also helps the budget at the post office.
Last edited by rec7 on Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:51 pm

We do almost all our charitable donations through a DAF. It makes it easy to give anonymously -- therefore, not solicitation later and your name and address don't get passed along to other organizations.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

frugaltype

Post by frugaltype » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:57 pm

rec7 wrote:I would write on each peace of mail.
Return to sender. Please take me off your mailing list.
The sender then has to pay for the letter to go back. It is a small amount of money but you would be surprised how fast they get the message. I think there was only one or two places I had to do this to twice.
P.S. It also helps the budget at the post office.
I have had no luck with this. I suspect some places, like credit card companies, have processing centers staffed by lower level primates. I sent countless envelopes back to Chase, marked like this and stuffed with their mailings and whatever else I had at hand with no success.

frugaltype

Re: Sending a "deceased" message.

Post by frugaltype » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:58 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Frugaltype:

Be careful. I had a friend who did this. He said it brought him unexpected hassle, especially after it was reported to the credit rating companies. He said it was a mistake even though it gave his friends a good laugh.

Best wishes.
Taylor
I've never done this with a financial place, but thanks for the tip.

gks

Post by gks » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:07 pm

Nuvo,

Mail ordering anything will generate a gazillion catalogs, so if receiving those catalogs is an issue, be careful about mail order. I get a real Sunday newspaper to read with coffee after breakfast, and it goes into a paper bag in the garage for recycling. Since the paper recycling is in my path from the mailbox to the house, adding sales catalogs and advertising flyers is not a big deal.

I dearly love Bass Pro Shops, but if you give them your address at checkout, you will start receiving their sales brochures. I use them as an example of other retailers that ask for addresses and suggest caution.

Since you sound like a Costco customer, get one of their better shredders and use it for anything with bulk postage. If the shredder is one of the more powerful ones, you probably won't even have to open the envelope. Recycle the shredded mail. Eventually the shredder will wear out, hence the Costco replacement option.

Presorted first class may present a problem, but if you recognize the return address, or don't, that mail could go directly to the shredder.

Greg

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:13 pm

Sidney wrote:We do almost all our charitable donations through a DAF. It makes it easy to give anonymously -- therefore, not solicitation later and your name and address don't get passed along to other organizations.
That is a great idea! Just giving even a small amount to many charities gets you on a constant barrage of solicitations for more donations and often telephone calls and emails.

Regarding emails, I have several email addresses I use and (to some degree anyway) try to use different ones for different purposes. Although not 100% successful, it does keep some degree of "order" in my email. One personal email I use, for certain things, has me profiled (not sure how or why) as being of a certain religious affiliation (that I am not). This email gets a lot of solicitations targeting that religious affiliation - charities, political causes or advocacy, as well as "dating services" for those of that affiliation. Another email (again, not sure why) has profiled me (incorrectly as well) as a certain being a member of a certain racial group. Again, I get a ton of email targeting that racial group - charities, political causes and "dating services". What I have learned, though, is that one gets a very different political-type view of lots of things based on religion and race/ethnicity.

davebarnes

This works

Post by davebarnes » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:00 pm

https://www.catalogchoice.org/
Years of personal experience with this.
Very easy to use and it works.
A nerd living in Denver

4stripes

Post by 4stripes » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:25 am

Love CatalogChoice. Other than DMA and that, contact each mailer directly. I have a Google Spreadsheet where I keep track of these so I make sure I don't hear from them again. Can't stand junk mail!

CyberBob

Post by CyberBob » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:04 pm

Nuvoletta wrote:...so many credit card offers...
The FTC has an opt-out service for prescreened offers of credit or insurance. Like you, I used to get credit card offers every week, but I did the opt-out years ago and haven't gotten a single one since.

FTC Opt-Out

Bob