Timing Belt Change - Months or Miles if car is old?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Grt2bOutdoors

Timing Belt Change - Months or Miles if car is old?

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:05 am

Trying to confirm what I'm thinking: if you drive an old car from year of production, but mechanically the car is young (read: low mileage), would you go by the years or by miles when changing timing belt/water pump? Manufacturer says miles.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

bottlecap

Re: Timing Belt Change - Months or Miles if car is old?

Post by bottlecap » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:10 am

Probably miles in most places without extreme weather, but you can visually inspect it as well. Are there any small cracks or obvious wear? If so, that is an indication to replace regardless.

JT

beanstock

Post by beanstock » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:13 am

I've read that it should be replaced every 4 years if the car hasn't been driven past the mileage when the belt should be replaced

charley

Post by charley » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:18 am

Is it an interference or non-interference engine? If it's an interference engine and the timing belt breaks, the pistons likely hit the valves and you'll need to rebuild the engine. If it's a non-interference engine and the timing belt breaks, you need a tow truck and a new timing belt. With an interference engine I'd err on the side of caution and replace it.

You don't mention the vehicle, but you can check the engine type by searching for "gates interference engine chart." I'd post a link, but it's a pdf download and I don't know the rules on posting links to downloads.

furwut

Post by furwut » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:25 am

Back when I had a car it was recommended that I do the timing belt on whichever threshold comes first. Since I didn't drive a whole lot it ended up being replaced based on time. Maybe it depends on the design of the engine but I don't know how well a belt can be visually inspected. As I recall some engines can be physically damaged if the belt breaks - if yours is one of them then err on the side of caution.

The water pump was always replaced with the belt.

furwut

Post by furwut » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:34 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Manufacturer says miles.
I think my manufacturer, Honda, gave a miles or time to replace but I could be wrong and maybe it might have been the mechanic looking to increase $$$. The cost to replacing the belt is maddening since its almost all just labor to get to the dang thing.

If you have a non-interference engine as charley points out and you are personally okay with the possibility of a breakdown and tow ( recommend towing insurance coverage ) then following the manufacture mileage based guidance seems reasonable.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:45 am

I elected to replace the timing belt on our 2001 Lexus ES300 after eleven years, even though the car only had 58,000 miles on it. Belts can dry out over such an extended period of time. I would rather be safe than sorry. We will see what happens in the next eleven years as my wife refuses to part with the vehicle.
Tom D.

Steady59

Post by Steady59 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:38 am

My opinion...

The mileage interval recommendation for timing belts is set based upon model and should be religously obeyed. I would not let a timing belt go more than 8 years even if under the mileage limit but that's me. Not worth the risk. Again depending upon model, there are other items that could be/should be replaced "while you are in there", i.e. water pump, seals, etc. Best to do a bit of research or ask someone who knows.

And if you are out of warranty, find a reputable, local indy mechanic. It will be much cheaper than the dealer.

And keep those receipts so that you can prove it was done.

Oilburner

Post by Oilburner » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:10 am

The choice of mileage vs. age is much more important if the engine is an "interference" engine. Meaning that if the timing belt breaks, the pistons will collide with some of the valves that remain open when the camshaft stops turning. This ruins the cylinder head and is in the neighborhood of a couple of thousand dollars to fix. Gates Rubber Company used to have a chart on their web site that lists this by manufacturer/model of car. If it is a non-interference engine, when the timing belt breaks, the engine just quits. No damage is done.

I would not let the timing belt go beyond 10 years in age if it were me, even if the mileage is below replacement interval. Perhaps you could go 12 years if the mileage is really low. Also, what kind of car is this on?

When you replace the timing belt, you should replace everything in the timing belt's path. This includes the belt (obviously), the water pump (if driven by, or behind, requiring removal of) the timing belt, and timing belt tensioner and rollers. I replace the drive belt(s) at the same time and examine the drive belt tensioner too.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:33 pm

For my current car, a Honda Civic, the recommendation is at 100k miles or after no more than 7 years. It is an interference engine, so I didn't play around with the 7 years business even though it's not even hit the first 100k miles after over a decade. I've also visited the enthusiasts forums for my car to find out other time-based recommendations for low mileage Hondas (side note: I think we're a rare bunch, as most Hondas seem to get driven into the ground, but I've always lived within 10 miles of work/school while I've had this car so it doesn't see a lot of road time).

mike143

Post by mike143 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:40 pm

I would personally go by miles. I don't ever remember them ever going by years, at least on a Honda. There is a reason I buy Honda's with timing chains.

Give us a make and model of the vehicle. I have seen post of mechanics trying to quote a timing belt on vehicles with a lifetime chain.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.

dimdum

Post by dimdum » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:50 pm

Mine was recommended for 105k/8 yrs. I end up doing at 80k/10 yrs.
In end years matter as parts wear and tear over time.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:54 pm

On my Honda Fit, wouldn't my maintenance minder tell me if I needed a timing belt change?
Gordon

epictetus

Post by epictetus » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:50 pm

I faced the same decision about a year ago on my 2002 Honda Civic. Only had about 50,000 or so miles but was at that time 10 years old. I went ahead and replaced the timing belt, water pump, etc.

Every since then it has made a noise which I can hear at low speed or at idle when the motor is turning. Not sure if it the pump, a belt, etc. It runs fine. Prior to the replacement it didn't make the noise.

In the future I will plan to buy cars with timing chains.
Focus on what you can control

Topic Author
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:45 pm

Well, I spoke to my mechanic and the car is a Honda which recommends it by miles only (not time) - it's coming due for the change, so I'm going to order the parts and get it done shortly. Thanks for the comments.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:10 pm

mike143 wrote:I would personally go by miles. I don't ever remember them ever going by years, at least on a Honda. There is a reason I buy Honda's with timing chains.

Give us a make and model of the vehicle. I have seen post of mechanics trying to quote a timing belt on vehicles with a lifetime chain.
Saw this from a dealer doing an oil change in my 2006 V6 Toyota 4Runner (the 1GR-FE engine). It has a freaking lifetime chain and the service manual explicit calls out timing belt changes Bly for the V8. Last time they do an oil change on my truck!

mike143

Post by mike143 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:54 am

gkaplan wrote:On my Honda Fit, wouldn't my maintenance minder tell me if I needed a timing belt change?
All Fits had lifetime chains. When I was shopping for vehicles I limited myself to Hondas with lifetime chains which included any Honda Fit, 03+ Accord 4 cylinder models and 2006+ Honda Civics. I ended up with a 04 Accord 4 cylinder.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.

hectorochoa

Post by hectorochoa » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:28 am

[Link removed by admin LadyGeek]

My 2005 Honda Pilot owner's manual says 105,000 miles or 7 years - whichever comes first.

Polaris

Post by Polaris » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:40 pm

hectorochoa wrote:My 2005 Honda Pilot owner's manual says 105,000 miles or 7 years - whichever comes first.
Same with my 2004 Pilot. I waited a bit longer than recommended and had my timing belt & water pump replaced after 9 years with 84k miles. While those parts were OK, the belt tensioner was leaking oil and could have caused me issues if I had waited longer. I also have a 1999 Maxima with a timing chain and like not having to worry about replacing it as part of scheduled maintenance. If only all interference engines followed suit. :(

Reubin

Post by Reubin » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:27 pm

The new 2013 4 cyl Honda Accord has a chain, if anyone's interested.

Billavoider

Post by Billavoider » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:53 pm

My grandfather, who used to work on cars as a hobby years ago, told me to change my timing belt every 5 years or 60K, whichever came first. There are some older cars, such as my '77, which has a chain driven belt, no rubber band type belt, which gets changed only when it breaks...and that is bad news (I've seen that happen in action). One dealership adivsed me that some newer cars have there belts changed every 90K.

I was also told that when a timing belt breaks in an American made cars, the car will shut down until it is repaired. In a foreign car, the car keeps running without the timing belt which will eventually damage the engine.

my name

Post by my name » Thu May 15, 2014 6:10 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:Well, I spoke to my mechanic and the car is a Honda which recommends it by miles only (not time) - it's coming due for the change, so I'm going to order the parts and get it done shortly. Thanks for the comments.
Honda does have a time recommendation. My civic 2002 is 110,000 miles or 7 years. Check your Honda service schedule here: http://owners.honda.com/service-maintenance/minder

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu May 15, 2014 6:15 pm

It would be nice to know when timing belts failed from actual surveys and experiences.

I suspect that belts last quite a lot longer than the manufacturer recommends. I just had one replaced on a 2001 vehicle which I am sure had the original timing belt on it.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Thu May 15, 2014 6:21 pm

I would recommend the Aisin Timing Belt and Water Pump kit. Great price at RockAuto or Amazon.
Truly OEM quality for much less than Honda prices. Some of the other 'good' name kits (ie Gates) use a cheap Chinese water pump. Aisin is Japanese quality (from what I've read, I'll be ordering one and DIYing soon myself).

Oh and 105k / 7 years as the manual says.

(edit) just noticed its an older post - oh well, good info for future people

Ged

Post by Ged » Thu May 15, 2014 6:22 pm

My dealership has been sending me reminders to have the timing belt on my 2006 Corolla changed.

Thing is it has a timing chain. Maybe I should take it in and ask for a refund.

frugalhen

Post by frugalhen » Thu May 15, 2014 6:31 pm

If it is an interference engine, change it with years or miles, whatever comes first.

I had a v6 accord, changed the belt at 7 years, it only had 88k on it. When he changed it the water pump was leaking.

If it is an interference engine, the entire engine health depends on the timing belt. Replace it when manufacturer recommends, or slightly earlier, NEVER later.

Change the belt, water pump and tensioner, preferably oem parts.
"get out and live, you are dead an awfully long time" - Jimmy Demaret

frugalhen

Post by frugalhen » Thu May 15, 2014 6:40 pm

livesoft wrote:It would be nice to know when timing belts failed from actual surveys and experiences.

I suspect that belts last quite a lot longer than the manufacturer recommends. I just had one replaced on a 2001 vehicle which I am sure had the original timing belt on it.
Not correct. Timing belts are almost entirely for interference engines and delaying this will almost always cause catastrophic failure. You change the water pump and tensioner because labor wise, the tech is already there. I replaced my belt and water pump at the 7 year mark at only 88k. 20k miles later, the tensioner froze (I did not know the tech did not replace the tensioner, which was only another $100) and my engine was lost. $4800 replacement.

Most 4 cylinders run on timing chains and rarely need to be replaced. If they do it would likely be well over 200k miles. Timing belts however are a different story.

In general maintenance schedules by manufacturers are right on the money. We tend to believe parts last longer in part because of the 3k mile oil change myth, but parts wear and manufacturers for the most part know when they show fatigue.

By the way, personally, I will never buy a car with a belt again, and I take meticulous care of my cars.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Thu May 15, 2014 7:17 pm

Even if it doesn't have an interference engine, it can be fairly inconvenient to have a timing belt fail. It's one of the things that makes an engine stop completely, and with no warning. It happened to us once. Ever since then, we have felt that it is one of the questions where to ask the question is to answer it.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

wander

Post by wander » Thu May 15, 2014 7:35 pm

It's either or, in your case, you should go by year.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu May 15, 2014 8:28 pm

frugalhen wrote:Not correct.
I have to have some fun with that statement. What's not correct about my post?

Is it:
a) It would not be nice to know …,
b) I actually don't suspect …, or
c) I didn't have a timing belt replaced?

frugalhen

Post by frugalhen » Thu May 15, 2014 8:39 pm

livesoft wrote:
frugalhen wrote:Not correct.
I have to have some fun with that statement. What's not correct about my post?

Is it:
a) It would not be nice to know …,
b) I actually don't suspect …, or
c) I didn't have a timing belt replaced?
Not correct that belts often last longer than manufacurerer recommendations. Some do, of course, but it is playing with fire with your engine and many people suffer pretty bad financial setbacks from assuming their belts will last longer or that they know better than the people who made the car.

Was not meant to offend.

Topic Author
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu May 15, 2014 8:52 pm

surfstar wrote:I would recommend the Aisin Timing Belt and Water Pump kit. Great price at RockAuto or Amazon.
Truly OEM quality for much less than Honda prices. Some of the other 'good' name kits (ie Gates) use a cheap Chinese water pump. Aisin is Japanese quality (from what I've read, I'll be ordering one and DIYing soon myself).

Oh and 105k / 7 years as the manual says.

(edit) just noticed its an older post - oh well, good info for future people
Amazing! My post was resurrected after nearly a year.
For the record, I changed the timing belt, water pump, gaskets, oil seals (all of them) and tensioner at the same time. I changed the transmission fluid and motor oil, too. I used Honda OEM parts from a Honda dealership - Majestic Honda. I have low miles on my car (60K original) but the car is 17 years old - when we took the old timing belt off, it was practically "new" - no real major wearing though it was just starting to "crack/fray" on one side. Even the mechanic said - could have gone another 10k in mileage before changing it. Honda may recommend years, but all of the mechanics including my relatives who are in the business say "miles".

Topic Author
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu May 15, 2014 8:54 pm

wander wrote:It's either or, in your case, you should go by year.
Well, I was off by 12 years then.....

wander

Post by wander » Thu May 15, 2014 9:13 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Well, I was off by 12 years then.....
If you look at rubber hoses on your car, it will be harden or cracking after many years. Timing belt is a form of rubber. It's a safety rule of thumb and it doesn't have to be always exact. I know a guy driving a Lexus 240,000 miles with original timing belt. He doesn't care because his engine is non-interference. He could drive it up to how many more miles. No one knows.
It's your car, your call.

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Thu May 15, 2014 11:34 pm

My Camry said change at 60k, but by that time it was nine years old. I gambled that it would not break, and ended up keeping the car for 16 years and 133k before trading it in.

Ralph

my name

Post by my name » Fri May 16, 2014 4:56 am

I resurrected this post when searching for info that included timing belt. My problem is that I have this to do along with other maintenance items per my car check-up that total about $3500 on a 2002 Honda Civic with 143,000 miles. I am wondering if I should put the money into a new car instead. Another forum said the work is all maintenance that I'd have on any car and most felt they would keep the old car, just get an estimate from a local shop to see if any significant savings from the dealership estimate.

Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al » Fri May 16, 2014 4:58 am

ralph124cf wrote:My Camry said change at 60k, but by that time it was nine years old. I gambled that it would not break, and ended up keeping the car for 16 years and 133k before trading it in.
Let us not confuse a successful outcome with a successful strategy. When a timing belt breaks there is generally no warning. Occasionally, if caused by a bad tensioner or bearing, there might be some noticeable noise to the trained ear. However, usually the belt just snaps. As Nisi points out, even in a non-interference engine can it can be a huge inconvenience, but it can be worse than even that. Let's hope you're not in a middle freeway lane and a tractor trailer isn't following you too closely when it lets go.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Fri May 16, 2014 6:45 am

Keep in mind, it's not just the belt you have to be concerned about. It's all the other components that are due for replacement too.

I've always had to replace timing belts based on time, as we don't drive a whole lot. Thermostats were on their way out every time and throwing a code. One water pump was found to be leaking. If the water pump would have seized, the belt would have instantly snapped, even though the belt wasn't close to worn out.

I always change on schedule, and never had a belt break, and we don't have breakdowns. People that don't follow the schedule have broken timing belts.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri May 16, 2014 6:49 am

I find it mildly amusing that folks who would seem to normally not trust anything a mechanic or financial advisor told them, seem to put lots more faith in timing suggestions for timing belt replacement without any concrete real evidence for such a suggestion. For example, if a manufacturer stated "We have analyzed all reported timing belt failures and have come up with the following evidence …." that would be something.

It is almost like a dentist stating that one needs tooth X-rays every 6 months without any evidence that such a frequency of X-rays is beneficial.

Rattlesnake

Post by Rattlesnake » Fri May 16, 2014 7:08 am

My 2008 timing belt was changed in 2013 at 110K miles....
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69

Toons

Post by Toons » Fri May 16, 2014 7:45 am

I recall owning a 1989 BMW 325I,the belt failed at 2k beyond recommended change frequency.
Every since then I follow manufacturer recommendation,whether it be mileage or years :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Topic Author
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri May 16, 2014 8:39 am

wander wrote:
Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Well, I was off by 12 years then.....
If you look at rubber hoses on your car, it will be harden or cracking after many years. Timing belt is a form of rubber. It's a safety rule of thumb and it doesn't have to be always exact. I know a guy driving a Lexus 240,000 miles with original timing belt. He doesn't care because his engine is non-interference. He could drive it up to how many more miles. No one knows.
It's your car, your call.
It's my understanding that Honda incorporates Kevlar into it's timing belts to give it strength to last many years. I've changed my rubber hoses and drive belts once already and I periodically inspect them for telltale bulges and stripping. If I had a lift or jack stand and the time, I'd do the work myself.

Topic Author
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri May 16, 2014 8:48 am

my name wrote:I resurrected this post when searching for info that included timing belt. My problem is that I have this to do along with other maintenance items per my car check-up that total about $3500 on a 2002 Honda Civic with 143,000 miles. I am wondering if I should put the money into a new car instead. Another forum said the work is all maintenance that I'd have on any car and most felt they would keep the old car, just get an estimate from a local shop to see if any significant savings from the dealership estimate.
I have a '96 Honda Civic - what $3,500 in "regular" maintainance MUST be done per your "car check up"?. Please list out by item what service they will be providing by items changed/replaced/repaired? Not only am I the original owner of my car, but I used to work in a gas station/auto repair shop - the first red flag is that quotation, let me tell you what you should be getting for that price:

New catalytic converter with full exhaust pipe extenstion all the way back to a new muffler.
New transaxle
New control arms
New struts
New shocks
4 new tires including new rotors and brake pads/brake shoes
Spark plugs - 4 new platinum guaranteed to last 100K miles
Air filter
Fuel filter
Transmission oil change
Motor oil change
A full car wash and hand wax with Armor All treatment

Are you completely overhauling your Honda Civic? Something sounds terribly wrong with that quote. Was a paint job thrown into the mix?

Oh! I see now - it was a "Stealership estimate" :oops: :oops:

Topic Author
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri May 16, 2014 8:58 am

ClevrChico wrote:Keep in mind, it's not just the belt you have to be concerned about. It's all the other components that are due for replacement too.

I've always had to replace timing belts based on time, as we don't drive a whole lot. Thermostats were on their way out every time and throwing a code. One water pump was found to be leaking. If the water pump would have seized, the belt would have instantly snapped, even though the belt wasn't close to worn out.

I always change on schedule, and never had a belt break, and we don't have breakdowns. People that don't follow the schedule have broken timing belts.
Here's the funny thing - for the year I own, Honda recommended a timing belt change at 60,000 but a water pump change at 90,000 miles, then another timing belt change at 120,000 miles - the manual goes by miles, not years. That is the manufacturers's recommendation, I only asked about years because I thought 17 years was pushing it even though I wasn't at the mileage limitation yet. Funny, how the manufacturer wanted me to pay a mechanic twice to do the same amount of work to gain access to both the timing belt and water pump. So, I changed the water pump 30K miles earlier than expected and changed the radiator fluid 3 years ahead of time - all OEM equipment.

armeliusc

Post by armeliusc » Fri May 16, 2014 9:01 am

my name wrote:I resurrected this post when searching for info that included timing belt. My problem is that I have this to do along with other maintenance items per my car check-up that total about $3500 on a 2002 Honda Civic with 143,000 miles. I am wondering if I should put the money into a new car instead. Another forum said the work is all maintenance that I'd have on any car and most felt they would keep the old car, just get an estimate from a local shop to see if any significant savings from the dealership estimate.
What kind of "check up" or maintenance items costs $3500 on your Civic with 143000 Miles ? It's hard to imagine, honestly. I have a 2004 Civic with 170000 Miles and I religiously follow all the recommended service in the manual when it is due, and the accumulated total of all my services since 100,000 miles is barely that amount. But this includes replacing wear-and-tear items like a set of Michelin tires (~$500), new brakes $(~200), new rear suspension (~$300, mine started to sag and wouldn't align properly), and of course oil change every 5K.

midareff

Post by midareff » Fri May 16, 2014 9:01 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:Trying to confirm what I'm thinking: if you drive an old car from year of production, but mechanically the car is young (read: low mileage), would you go by the years or by miles when changing timing belt/water pump? Manufacturer says miles.
I would go by the manufacturer's recommendation and assume they had good reason to make that recommendation.

my name

Post by my name » Fri May 16, 2014 9:06 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: I have a '96 Honda Civic - what $3,500 in "regular" maintainance MUST be done per your "car check up"?. Please list. Are you completely overhauling your Honda Civic? Something sounds terribly wrong with that quote. Was a paint job thrown into the mix? Oh! I see now - it was a "Stealership estimate" :oops: :oops:
Example: timing belt 625, major tune-up 430, replace oil pan gasket (says I really do not have to do) 365, 3 new tires 350 and align them 90, and more as listed above.

Oh, did I mention I live in New Jersey? I bet we beat even you in New York. Their labor rate last November was $123, probably $130 now. The local shop I'm checking with has a rate of $90.

killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 » Fri May 16, 2014 9:35 am

People in this thread are also confusing "timing belts" (or chains) to accessory drive belts (serpentine belt).
- A timing belt (or chain) is internal to the engine and keeps the crankshaft in sync with the camshaft(s). If this fails, it could be catastrophic depending on the engine & variables. A timing chain is preferred for that reason. I would highly suggest you stick to the OEM recommendations for replacement.
- OTOH, the accessory drive belt, or serpentine belt - which powers the alternator, power steering, water pump, etc. are much easier to inspect and much cheaper to replace, and won't cause catastrophic damage to the engine if it were to fail (although you would probably get stranded over not replacing a $25 part in a timely manner).

Personally, my time and risk of inconvenience of being stranded is worth way more than changing the $25 serpentine belt a little too soon. If you want to be cheap - fine - but at least inspect the belt for wear periodically.

Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al » Fri May 16, 2014 9:44 am

killjoy2012 wrote:People in this thread are also confusing "timing belts" (or chains) to accessory drive belts (serpentine belt).
Which post confused the two types of belts?

Bustoff

Post by Bustoff » Fri May 16, 2014 9:49 am

With my Honda Accord, the recommendation was 100k miles.
It's a $1700 job vs. a new engine.
Didn't see any advantage by delaying.