Buying a suit in Chicago.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author

Buying a suit in Chicago.

Post by 64415 »

Hi,

I am in Chicago for the weekend while my wife attends a function. I am interested in buying a higher end suit that is tailored to my dimensions. I am fit and am interested in timeless, classic styles. Any recommendations based on first hand experience are appreciated. I am staying downtown, so would prefer to look in the downtown
area. Thank you.

Regards, Sebastian
Atilla

Re: Buying a suit in Chicago.

Post by Atilla »

Hoo boy do I have a recommendation for you: SuitSupply on North Rush Street. When you say "higher end" you won't find 4-figure prices in the place, but you can walk out with a real nice tailored suit for $500 - $600. The fit is awesome and nice lightweight fine wool fabric.

It's a small place and all they do are men's suits. Service is fantastic.

Have your suit shipped back home and you avoid the exorbitant sales tax of close to 10%. :beer

Go to Suit Supply & get your suit. They tailor in house. Arrange to have it shipped home. Then walk south on Rush St. past the Bentley/Ferrari dealership and grab a Chicago style hot dog and a cocktail at Pippins Tavern just down the street.

SuitSupply is a Dutch company, so their sizing leans toward tall Dutch men. I normally get a 38 Tall and at this place went with a 38 regular - my arms are long and I have a tough time finding sleeves long enough without the rest of the shirt/jacket hanging off me. I'm 6' tall and I exercise and manage to keep my weight under 160. This place will not sell you an ill-fitting suit if you're a guy in shape.

Some of their suit styles are a bit wild - but they have plenty of "timeless" options and you will not be disappointed.

Then swing by Banana Republic on Michigan Avenue and get a couple of their nice slim fit french cuff dress shirts.

I love downtown Chicago and getting an awesome suit on the Gold Coast for not a ton of money - sweet.
Topic Author

Post by 64415 »

Thanks Attila. I ended up going to Balani Custom Clothiers. I splurged on a suit and sport jacket as well as 4 shirts, three ties, and a pair of slacks to go with the sport coat . I don't need nice clothes for work, but when I travel or go out with my wife I want to look nice . I just got tired of wearing poorly fitting suits. I probably should have gone more mid level, but what the heck, I have always wanted to have bespoke clothing. I get the clothes in about three months. I will let you know if I feel it was worth it.

Thanks, Sebastian
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Where are you staying downtown? Complete the look with a pair of shoes at Altman Shoes on Monroe Street. Absolutely the best shoe store I have been to.

Suggestion for a very nice, inexpensive meal...Fox and Obel. It is a high end grocery store with a restaurant. We have always been satisfied.

If you are in the north loop area, go to The Original Pancake House tomorrow morning for a great breakfast. Kinda cool today in the city, isn't it?

Ed
etf

Post by etf »

chicago is home to oxxford clothes, the finest american made suits made. 4 figure price tags are the starting point.
Topic Author

Post by 64415 »

Hi Ed,

We stayed at the Ivy. Very nice, spacious well appointed rooms. Any suggestions on affordable downtown parking for the next trip to Chicago ?

Regards, Sebastian
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

64415 wrote:Hi Ed,

We stayed at the Ivy. Very nice, spacious well appointed rooms. Any suggestions on affordable downtown parking for the next trip to Chicago ?

Regards, Sebastian
I grew up in Chicago and worked downtown when I first got out of the service. I used to park in the Randolph Street parking lot off of Grant Park when I wasn't using public transportation. I'm not sure if the parking lot is still there, but I remember it as being relatively inexpensive.
Gordon
MP173

Post by MP173 »

What is your definition of inexpensive?

Just got to bite the bullet. Grant Park is ok, but most parking will run at least $35 for 24 hrs, perhaps more.

E