Good email program suggestions

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
pkcrafter
Posts: 12580
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:19 pm
Location: CA
Contact:

Good email program suggestions

Post by pkcrafter » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:36 pm

Didn't find much in search, but I'm now using ATT/Yahoo email system and ATT has just "upgraded" it. Since the change we've had many ongoing problems and ATT support has not been useful at all. Now considering a new email program. Any suggestions--Gmail, hotmail, Thunderbird?

Thanks


Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.

user5027
Posts: 765
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:54 pm

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by user5027 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:46 pm

You are comparing apples and oranges. Hotmail and Gmail are both online email services. Thunderbird is a free email application similar to Outlook.

I've used aol, comcast and yahoo all with thunderbird with few issues.
Last edited by user5027 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 7406
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by cheese_breath » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:48 pm

Thunderbird isn't an Email system in the sense you are thinking. It is a client system that runs on your pc and interfaces with a host based Email system. You could install Thunderbird on your pc and link it to your current ATT Email. Your host EMail would still be ATT so your contacts wouldn't see any change, but you would be immune to future ATT user interface changes.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

livesoft
Posts: 60153
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by livesoft » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:48 pm

register.com has ProMail which we have used forever. We pay for it, but it has been superb with respect to always works and very very rarely does spam get through. We do not download to our computers, but keep everything on the web.

I use gmail as a throwaway account.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 15712
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by dm200 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:51 pm

pkcrafter wrote:Didn't find much in search, but I'm now using ATT/Yahoo email system and ATT has just "upgraded" it. Since the change we've had many ongoing problems and ATT support has not been useful at all. Now considering a new email program. Any suggestions--Gmail, hotmail, Thunderbird?

Thanks


Paul
Many web hosting sites/services offer email as part of the hosting package. If you have a website, for example http://www.samplewebsite.com, then you would have email addresses such as joesmith@samplewebsite.com and maryjones@samplewebsite.com. I think that, for an organization, it is nice to have the email address consistent with the website.

Sidney
Posts: 6662
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:06 pm

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by Sidney » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:02 pm

I've been using Thunderbird for about 5 years now. Quite satisfied with it.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

pkcrafter
Posts: 12580
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:19 pm
Location: CA
Contact:

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by pkcrafter » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:32 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I know some programs are online, ATT/Yahoo is, but I guess one of my questions would be is online really better then on computer.

Cheese breath wrote:
Thunderbird isn't an Email system in the sense you are thinking. It is a client system that runs on your pc and interfaces with a host based Email system. You could install Thunderbird on your pc and link it to your current ATT Email. Your host EMail would still be ATT so your contacts wouldn't see any change, but you would be immune to future ATT user interface changes.
ATT is using Yahoo, but I don't suppose that would make any difference, however, I'm not happy with this set up. If I use Thunderbird, would it be independent of Yahoo?

I'll check out all suggestions, thanks. Right now anything that is stable, reliable, and easy sounds good.

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.

User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 7406
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by cheese_breath » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:57 pm

pkcrafter wrote: ATT is using Yahoo, but I don't suppose that would make any difference, however, I'm not happy with this set up. If I use Thunderbird, would it be independent of Yahoo?
Thunderbird doesn't change your host based Email system. It only interfaces with it. So if ATT uses Yahoo, then Thunderbird would not be independent of Yahoo. But what is it about the ATT /Yahoo setup you don't like?
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

User avatar
frugaltype
Posts: 1952
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:07 am

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by frugaltype » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:09 pm

Sidney wrote:I've been using Thunderbird for about 5 years now. Quite satisfied with it.
What he said.

It's not clear to me how yahoo email is involved with your email, but I see someone with yahoo email get their account hacked about once a month. Either I have a lot of clueless friends with bad passwords, or there's something wrong with yahoo's system.

User avatar
Rosebud
Posts: 386
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:31 pm

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by Rosebud » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:14 pm

frugaltype wrote:
Sidney wrote:I've been using Thunderbird for about 5 years now. Quite satisfied with it.
What he said.

It's not clear to me how yahoo email is involved with your email, but I see someone with yahoo email get their account hacked about once a month. Either I have a lot of clueless friends with bad passwords, or there's something wrong with yahoo's system.
I have started to notice recently that most of my spam and otherwise unwanted e-mails seem to come from yahoo accounts.

obgraham
Posts: 1033
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:30 pm

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by obgraham » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:41 pm

I switched to Gmail about 2 years ago, after yahoo and then msn/hotmail.

I like gmail a lot -- I can access it from any computer with web access anywhere in the world. Its file system for emails is very good. Sure, they change stuff every once in a while, and that's annoying, but so do all the others. And I'm sure they're sending all my emails to the Feds, but such is life. I also like that it shows up on my google homepage, and I can keep my 3 gmails readily available.

Much less spam on gmail than on yahoo or hotmail.

User avatar
Sunny Sarkar
Posts: 2417
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:02 am
Location: Flower Mound, TX
Contact:

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by Sunny Sarkar » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:45 pm

My yahoo mail account was hacked - couldn't log in out of the blue one fine day. It wasn't a particularly easy password or anything. My wife's gmail account was also hacked, but we were able to recover it by following gmail's account recovery process.

I worry a lot about my gmail getting hacked - everything is tied to it. I'm using lastpass, 2nd factor authentication, and all that good stuff - so hopefully I'm not the slowest in the herd the predators are after.
"Cost matters". "Stay the course". "Press on, regardless". ― John C. Bogle

MikeRes
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 10:07 pm

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by MikeRes » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:53 pm

pkcrafter wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I know some programs are online, ATT/Yahoo is, but I guess one of my questions would be is online really better then on computer. Paul
Well, this is one time you can have your cake and eat it too.
You can keep your email online (e.g., GMAIL, YAHOO, HOTMAIL/OUTLOOK) and also on your PC at the same time.

If you are a typical user you get your email from your ISP's email servers.
Your email address might be pkcrafter@[your ISP].com.
You email ends up stored on your ISP's email server from which you are able to retrieve it and read it.

I use GMAIL addresses for my email.
I then use GMAIL to forward all my email to my ISP (it's a setting within GMAIL).
I also have an email client on my PC (Eudora, it's similar to Thunderbird) that retrieves all email from my ISP and deletes the email from my ISP's email servers.

It's a bit convoluted, but I end up using GMAIL (which has excellent spam filters) as a permanent storage medium and only keep what I consider really important on my PC.

Using the above, You can now read all current email from either your PC or from GMAIL/YAHOO/OUTLOOK.

Not only can you have your email concurrently available locally and on the web, but at the same time you can also forward it to your smartphone depending on the APP you use (I use K9-email on my android).

You will have to choose which way is "best" for you, but you can have your email where ever you wish.

User avatar
Toons
Posts: 12659
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Hills of Tennessee

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by Toons » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:35 pm

Gmail,the best :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

User avatar
Hexdump
Posts: 1615
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:28 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by Hexdump » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:34 am

+1 on Thunderbird.

That's what I use and I also have ATT. I never did use the ATT web mail.

-1 on Gmail. I use Fastmail instead.
The only thing I have against Gmail is the ability to have folders and sub-folders for organizing the messages that I want to keep. Fastmail has that feature.
Last edited by Hexdump on Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sconie
Posts: 524
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:23 am
Location: Arizona

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by Sconie » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:45 am

+1 on gmail. Have had it for about 4 years and am very pleased with it. Good stuff!
I know that you think you understand what you thought I said, but I don't think you realize that what I said is necessarily what I meant......

pkcrafter
Posts: 12580
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:19 pm
Location: CA
Contact:

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by pkcrafter » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:13 am

Thanks for all the input, very helpful. I'll dig up information on GMaill and Thunderbird, look at the layouts, and choose one of them.



Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.

User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 7406
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by cheese_breath » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:23 am

pkcrafter wrote:Thanks for all the input, very helpful. I'll dig up information on GMaill and Thunderbird, look at the layouts, and choose one of them.
You're still thinking apples and oranges. It's not a matter of choosing one of them. Gmail is the web based Email system. Thunderbird is a pc based client that links to a web based system. You can either use Gmail by itself or and/or link Thunderbird to it.

edit: Without a web based Email system to link it to Thunderbird is worthless. You can link it to your current ATT system, Gmail, or several other web based systems. But by itself it does nothing.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

BerkeleyChris
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:23 am

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by BerkeleyChris » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:35 am

cheese_breath wrote:
pkcrafter wrote:Thanks for all the input, very helpful. I'll dig up information on GMaill and Thunderbird, look at the layouts, and choose one of them.
You're still thinking apples and oranges. It's not a matter of choosing one of them. Gmail is the web based Email system. Thunderbird is a pc based client that links to a web based system. You can either use Gmail by itself or and/or link Thunderbird to it.
Paul, here's an analogy for you. Gmail and Yahoo are like banks. They are account providers with web tools that meet most people's needs. Some bank users need extra tools and have "clients" like Quicken or Mint Desktop that access the accounts. While the desktop clients add a new set of capabilities, they can't replace the basic function of storing your money or your email--only a different way to look at them. I'd recommend you start with gmail and see if you need to add a client, but my guess is that it will easily suit your needs. Good luck! Chris

User avatar
frugaltype
Posts: 1952
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:07 am

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by frugaltype » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:34 pm

BerkeleyChris wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:
pkcrafter wrote:Thanks for all the input, very helpful. I'll dig up information on GMaill and Thunderbird, look at the layouts, and choose one of them.
You're still thinking apples and oranges. It's not a matter of choosing one of them. Gmail is the web based Email system. Thunderbird is a pc based client that links to a web based system. You can either use Gmail by itself or and/or link Thunderbird to it.
Paul, here's an analogy for you. Gmail and Yahoo are like banks. They are account providers with web tools that meet most people's needs. Some bank users need extra tools and have "clients" like Quicken or Mint Desktop that access the accounts. While the desktop clients add a new set of capabilities, they can't replace the basic function of storing your money or your email--only a different way to look at them. I'd recommend you start with gmail and see if you need to add a client, but my guess is that it will easily suit your needs. Good luck! Chris
What I like about thunderbird is (1) my email is on my pc, (2) I have marvelous control over spam filtering since I can customize the filters, (3) I can sort email into folders and subfolders set up as I wish, and (4) the interface doesn't change at someone else's whim.

jebmke
Posts: 7628
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by jebmke » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:38 pm

frugaltype wrote:What I like about thunderbird is (1) my email is on my pc, (2) I have marvelous control over spam filtering since I can customize the filters, (3) I can sort email into folders and subfolders set up as I wish, and (4) the interface doesn't change at someone else's whim.
Also good for providing one interface for multiple email providers. I have two of my own plus one for my TaxAide "practice" -- I get all the emails retrieved by T-Bird into one view.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

tibbitts
Posts: 7405
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by tibbitts » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:58 pm

pkcrafter wrote:Thanks for all the input, very helpful. I'll dig up information on GMaill and Thunderbird, look at the layouts, and choose one of them.



Paul
As has been pointed out, you cannot choose between Gmail and Thunderbird.

However I'd add that you should really purchase a domain name and then either have your domain provider accept mail for that address, or forward it to the provider of your choice. Nobody wants to change email addresses at every provider change. I wish I could do that with my US mail address, but it doesn't work that way.

Paul

ourbrooks
Posts: 1575
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:56 pm

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by ourbrooks » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:06 pm

Yes, you can use Thunderbird to read gmail. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_Gmail_w ... illa_Suite

If you're going "huh," here's the explanation:

There are two parts to at email system:

1. The server holds the email until your view it and it forwards the email you send to other servers. Google, ATT/Yahoo and Microsoft are among the companies which support email servers. Most companies also have email servers.

2. The client shows you the email.

Clients come in two basic flavors:
1. Web based. Gmail, Outlook/hotmail and Att/Yahoo fall into this class. These clients don't put a copy of your mail on your computer. Usually, web based clients default to one server but gmail can be set up to show mail from other servers.

2. Desktop based. These clients use a protocol to get your messages off of the server and on to your personal machine. Windows Livemail and Thunderbird fall into this class. They'll work with any server which supports the POP or IMAP protocols, including gmail, ATT/Yahoo mail and corporate emails.

When you refer to "gmail," you're really referring to two different things, the gmail server, and the gmail web site, which reads from the server.

Spam can be handled either on the server or on the client, or both.

Windows Livemail is a choice to consider since it can handle using multiple servers. This is now for people who have a corporate email account and a personal gmail or hotmail account.

tibbitts
Posts: 7405
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by tibbitts » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:39 pm

Another point is that if you use web-based email, make sure you download a copy your email as a backup at least periodically, in the event your email is lost on the server side.

Similarly, if you choose to download mail to your PC for use with a local client, remember to leave a copy on the server indefinitely, so you'll have a backup of it, and can still view your email from other devices.

Paul

User avatar
Epsilon Delta
Posts: 7263
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:00 pm

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by Epsilon Delta » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:56 pm

frugaltype wrote: What I like about thunderbird is ... (4) the interface doesn't change at someone else's whim.
Apart from the whims of the Thunderbird maintainers. You do have some choice about when you upgrade, but if you stick with an old version too long things start to stop working. I know people who still complain that Ubuntu changed from Evolution to Thunderbird as the default email client.

jchef
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:04 am

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by jchef » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:03 pm

Epsilon Delta wrote:
frugaltype wrote: What I like about thunderbird is ... (4) the interface doesn't change at someone else's whim.
Apart from the whims of the Thunderbird maintainers. You do have some choice about when you upgrade, but if you stick with an old version too long things start to stop working. I know people who still complain that Ubuntu changed from Evolution to Thunderbird as the default email client.
Actually, Mozilla made the decision last year to stop development on Thunderbird. They will still make security fixes, but new development is basically finished.

If a developer not associated with Mozilla writes code to add a new useful feature to Thunderbird, Mozilla will consider adding it to the official release. But besides this possibility, new development is basically done with Thunderbird.

User avatar
Epsilon Delta
Posts: 7263
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:00 pm

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by Epsilon Delta » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:17 pm

jchef wrote:
Epsilon Delta wrote:
frugaltype wrote: What I like about thunderbird is ... (4) the interface doesn't change at someone else's whim.
Apart from the whims of the Thunderbird maintainers. You do have some choice about when you upgrade, but if you stick with an old version too long things start to stop working. I know people who still complain that Ubuntu changed from Evolution to Thunderbird as the default email client.
Actually, Mozilla made the decision last year to stop development on Thunderbird. They will still make security fixes, but new development is basically finished.

If a developer not associated with Mozilla writes code to add a new useful feature to Thunderbird, Mozilla will consider adding it to the official release. But besides this possibility, new development is basically done with Thunderbird.
I did not know that, but for me that would be a good reason not to adopt Thunderbird. If no body is actively maintaining it sooner or later it will stop working. Possibly because the rest of the world changes the email protocols.

User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 7406
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by cheese_breath » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:23 pm

Epsilon Delta wrote:
jchef wrote:
Epsilon Delta wrote:
frugaltype wrote: What I like about thunderbird is ... (4) the interface doesn't change at someone else's whim.
Apart from the whims of the Thunderbird maintainers. You do have some choice about when you upgrade, but if you stick with an old version too long things start to stop working. I know people who still complain that Ubuntu changed from Evolution to Thunderbird as the default email client.
Actually, Mozilla made the decision last year to stop development on Thunderbird. They will still make security fixes, but new development is basically finished.

If a developer not associated with Mozilla writes code to add a new useful feature to Thunderbird, Mozilla will consider adding it to the official release. But besides this possibility, new development is basically done with Thunderbird.
I did not know that, but for me that would be a good reason not to adopt Thunderbird. If no body is actively maintaining it sooner or later it will stop working. Possibly because the rest of the world changes the email protocols.
There are enough Thunderbird users out there that I imagine someone would write a program to convert our Thunderbird mail folders to some other system.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

pkcrafter
Posts: 12580
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:19 pm
Location: CA
Contact:

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by pkcrafter » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:02 am

Thanks for the additional input, but I did understand that Gmail is web based and Tbird is computer based, but Tbird will work with ATT/Yahoo. After all my looking up reviews and from the information here, it seems these two choices are are rated better than others. Tibbitts is correct, I don't want to have to change email addresses again if I can avoid it. I think I'd prefer Tbird, but if it isn't supported, that could eventually be a problem. In the meantime, still having strange problems with ATT/Yahoo email and ATT doesn't seem interested in helping get it fixed.

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.

jchef
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:04 am

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by jchef » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:24 am

The two standard methods for retrieving email to a desktop client, IMAP and POP, were created in the 1980s and last had major updates in the 1990s.

No one can offer a guarantee there won't be a new standard. However, given that many people have stopped using desktop clients and now just use webmail, it seems unlikely there is going to be a strong push to adopt a new standard or make major changes to the current standards.



And again there are no guarantees, but I expect webmail providers will continue to support downloading mail to desktop clients. This is currently the main (only?) method available to make a personal backup of your webmail account. It is also the main method to transfer email if you want to change webmail providers.

User avatar
Cosmo
Posts: 1185
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:46 pm

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by Cosmo » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:14 am

Toons wrote:Gmail,the best :happy
The best thing about gmail (by far) is the capability to "google" or search your mailbox for a specific message, which leverages off of their search engine. This is very important over the long term as your mailbox becomes larger over a period of time. Need to pull up a receipt from that Amazon RAM memory purchase from 2009? No problem, just google your mailbox for "amazon RAM". Of course, if you like email clients, you could still use it with gmail as well.

Cosmo

Cash
Posts: 1258
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:52 am

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by Cash » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:03 pm

Gmail is great, but I haven't used anything else since 2004 (back when you had to get an "invite" to join). Microsoft recently revamped hotmail into outlook.com or something like that. Might be worth checking out. But Gmail does everything that I want. The folder thing was initially annoying, but the tags work sufficiently well. A relatively new feature that vastly improved my e-mail experience is the ability to have all of your unread messages at the top of your inbox. Great for OCD people like me. Also helps me to remember to look at certain e-mails later.

User avatar
Ged
Posts: 3480
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 1:48 pm
Location: Roke

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by Ged » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:39 pm

pkcrafter wrote:Thanks for the additional input, but I did understand that Gmail is web based and Tbird is computer based, but Tbird will work with ATT/Yahoo.
Tbird also works well with GMail. In fact the two are a really much better combo than trying to use a web browser with GMail because formatting messages and adding attachments is easier.

Gleevec
Posts: 265
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:25 am

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by Gleevec » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:52 am

Thunderbird is a great open source email client, but nowadays the web interfaces have gotten so good that you dont necessarily need a desktop client for emails.

If you have a mac, the built-in Mail application is very solid.

In terms of best online email accounts would suggest you look at:
1. Gmail
2. Outlook.com (microsoft's former hotmail)
3. Yahoo.com is apparently about to undergo a major overhaul, havent used it myself though

User avatar
jwblue
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:24 am
Location: Irvine, CA

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by jwblue » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:59 am

Gmail.

A lot of customization options, fast.

Outlook.com is good too.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 17977
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Paul,

Thank you for starting this thread.

Right now, I have an MSN email account that I can access both online and on my home computer using the Microsoft Outlook client. I have recently set up a Gmail account, which I currently use only online. I find it awkward in comparison to Microsoft Outlook and was thinking of getting an email client for Gmail on my home computer. From this discussion, it appears that Thunderbird is the best option. Or there is a better client?

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

ourbrooks
Posts: 1575
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:56 pm

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by ourbrooks » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:22 pm

How about Windows Live Mail? Despite its name, it works with any POP or IMAP server such as Att/Yahoo or a corporate Exchange server.
(In fact, I can't say for sure that it works with Outlook (Microsoft) email. ) For reasons I don't understand, it does a better job of searching messages than gmail.
It also has a customizable spelling corrector and corrects on the fly.

Also, it's pretty clever about managing multiple accounts. If you reply to a message from, say, your corporate account, it sends your reply to the corporate server with your corporate email addess as the reply address. If you reply to one from another of your servers, it oes the same thing relative to the other server.

Dougroseville
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:26 am

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by Dougroseville » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:24 pm

ourbrooks wrote:Windows Livemail is a choice to consider since it can handle using multiple servers. This is now for people who have a corporate email account and a personal gmail or hotmail account.
I agree. If you are on the Windows platform, Windows Live Mail is a free email client that works well with gmail, hotmail, and many other email services (some, possibly Yahoo, may require premium subscriptions to provide POP3 access). Step-by-step configuration information is easy to find on line.

The things I like most about Live Mail are: The ability to access multiple email accounts at once, easy sorting by message size, deleting many messages at once, and the use of folders. There is a limit on the number of email accounts you can configure in Windows Live Mail (I have 4 configured).

Northster
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:30 pm

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by Northster » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:38 pm

One caveat. While my wife has been happy with Thunderbird it was quite a pain transferring to a new computer despite excellent backup. Granted, you don't do this often, but I really think online is the way of the future. Personally I like Google.

User avatar
Epsilon Delta
Posts: 7263
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:00 pm

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by Epsilon Delta » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:14 pm

Northster wrote:Granted, you don't do this often, but I really think online is the way of the future.
Just like it was back in the '80s. Perhaps I'm ranting, but I've worked through about 3 waves of the centralized v. distributed debate and have heard a lot of ***** from evangelists on both sides.

I should add, I've also heard some good stuff from pragmatists on both sides, but they tend to use the appropriate technology to just get the job done instead of banging the shoe on the desk shouting "we will bury you".

Sidney
Posts: 6662
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:06 pm

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by Sidney » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:55 pm

Gleevec wrote: but nowadays the web interfaces have gotten so good that you dont necessarily need a desktop client for emails.
They have gotten better but sometimes having the ability to pull everything down quickly and read later is what I need. Even with my IPOD, I can suck down email off a hot spot and read it at my leisure even when not connected.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

jchef
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:04 am

Re: Good email program suggestions

Post by jchef » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:23 pm

Northster wrote:One caveat. While my wife has been happy with Thunderbird it was quite a pain transferring to a new computer despite excellent backup. Granted, you don't do this often, but I really think online is the way of the future. Personally I like Google.
Was that some time ago?


I had my main hard drive fail on me last year. Once a got a new hard drive, I installed Thuderbird and copied the profile directory from my backup to the new hard drive.

And that was it. All of my email and settings reside in the profile directory and were restored. It was quite easy.

https://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/profiles#

Post Reply