Cheap Razors

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Tamahome

Re: Cheap Razors

Post by Tamahome »

jdb wrote:I have a heavy beard and have spilled far too much blood over the years to use just any blades. The thought of using a straight edge and shaving like my father did in the 1950's would make me put the hospital emergency dept into my speed dial. Have tried them all and finally settled on Gillette Mach 3 disposables, only razor that I will buy.
Agreed on the Mach 3. One lasts me a month. That works out to about 30 shaves or:
Abe wrote: You might try the Mach 3 blade. Walmart has them for around $14.00 for a 5 pack which is $2.80 per blade. I used to use them and I got about 30 shaves per blade, a cost of around .10c per shave. While you are at Wally World, pick up a puck of Van Der Hagen shaving soap and apply it with a brush. Try it, you'll like it. :happy
I save a TON of money by using shaving soap (one cake lasts me a year and a half to two years if I am careful). Williams shaving soap works best for me. I save my money on the shaving cream. Also, I am on my third brush in my lifetime. One I used too much. One I lost. This one was a gift from a friend who went to England: an English badger brush. I will weep the day it falls apart. Since I usually get the cake for a buck, I am looking at around $3.00 a month with blade/soap combined. It is worth it for the luxury of not having to pull a cheap razor off of my face (where my skin got sliced into several sections and caught within the razor's blades :shock: ). Yup. I would even double the money to guarantee that experience never comes about again.
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.
Blues

Post by Blues »

Dulocracy wrote:
Leesbro63 wrote:I hit it with the blow dryer as I dry my hair.
Some of us do not have enough hair to use a blow dryer. It seems to migrate to my ears and other locales. :annoyed
I thought the last men to use a blow dryer were the Bee Gees. :twisted:
money

Post by money »

A couple months ago, I switched to a high quality double edged safety razor, made by a British company. It came with 5 sample blades, and I am still on the first one. I only shave about once or twice a week though. I have sensitive skin and never liked shaving, even with a Mach 3 blade. Now I can shave without major razor burn and wasting money on expensive 3+ bladed products.
1Fi1LTvx8KmtotRqcha9mj5h43319mJvjY
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Blues wrote:
Dulocracy wrote:
Leesbro63 wrote:I hit it with the blow dryer as I dry my hair.
Some of us do not have enough hair to use a blow dryer. It seems to migrate to my ears and other locales. :annoyed
I thought the last men to use a blow dryer were the Bee Gees. :twisted:
Stayin' alive, stayin' alive... :twisted:
JandNTN

Post by JandNTN »

Another Dorco fan here. I bought their monthly cheap guy pack or whatever it is called. I like the 4 blade the best as the 6 blade gets clogged a bit. I maybe get 3-4 weeks out of a blade. I don't really count since the price is less than a $1 per.
vv19

Post by vv19 »

FWIW, after using the mach 3 for 5-6 years, I recently switched to old school shaving using a DE razor and I have to say I am very, very satisfied. The shave is much better and it causes way less irritation to my face. I am able to get 10 shaves out of one blade, and one blade is about 30-40 cents. The shave itself is at least 5 times better than what I got from mach 3.
whomever

Post by whomever »

A dollar a month for razor blades? Outrageous! You can get a new straight razor for $10 that will outlast you (probably cheaper at a flea market or something).

(Only half joking. I spend the summers backpacking. I eventually just grew a beard, but prior to that faced the problem of arriving at the trailhead with a week's growth and wanting to shave before going back for another week. Safety razors don't work well when shaving a week's worth of beard in cold water using the car's mirror :-). Straight razors aren't fazed. It's not hard to pick up the knack and, contrary to what you'd think, relatively few people die in shaving accidents before acquiring the knack. Although putting one of those that close to your carotid does make you think, if you've had one cup too much or too little of coffee)
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

One trick that I use on days when I don't want a 5PM shadow: Shave twice. I shave with my GOOD NEWS once as I usually do. Wash off all the shave cream residue and rinse the razor. Then re-lather and shave again. It really works. BTW, the GILETTE FUSION with the $4 blade ALSO required doing this so not getting the closest possible shave was not a function of a cheap razor. I got no better a single shave with the Fusion and did get the same better double shave with Fusion...same results as the 47 cent GOOD NEWS.
bottomfisher

Post by bottomfisher »

http://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ I'm not a member. But their commercial is hillarious and worth the visit to their website
leoc2

Post by leoc2 »

Youtube ... How to hone a blade cartridge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ADaRIqy0Dc
2b + Not(2B) that is the boolean question?
leonard

Post by leonard »

Leesbro63 wrote:One trick that I use on days when I don't want a 5PM shadow: Shave twice. I shave with my GOOD NEWS once as I usually do. Wash off all the shave cream residue and rinse the razor. Then re-lather and shave again. It really works. BTW, the GILETTE FUSION with the $4 blade ALSO required doing this so not getting the closest possible shave was not a function of a cheap razor. I got no better a single shave with the Fusion and did get the same better double shave with Fusion...same results as the 47 cent GOOD NEWS.
Yes. It's a called a 2 pass shave. DE/Wet shavers have always been doing 2 or more passes.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

Probably OT at this time but I purchased an electric razor (Norelco model # 6955XL) recently that was listed at $79.99 for <$17 (tax incl) @ Kohls due to a product sale and a couple of coupons plus a mail in $5 coupon that I have yet to receive a check on.

My 15YO Norelco still is kicking too.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
bottomfisher

Post by bottomfisher »

leoc2 wrote:Youtube ... How to hone a blade cartridge

Interesting idea. I plan to try it next time blade dulls. Has anyone else tried this trick?
Abe

Post by Abe »

bottomfisher wrote:

Interesting idea. I plan to try it next time blade dulls. Has anyone else tried this trick?
Yes, I tried it and it made my blade duller. When I tried this I used a piece of cloth instead of my arm which may be why it didn't work. I think most razor blades have a protective coating on them so you have to be careful and not take it off. The basic idea is to strop the blade as opposed to sharpening. To sharpen a blade, knife, straight razor or whatever, you use a wet stone using a forward motion. Once the blade is sharp, you can strop the blade using a backward motion as shown on the video. The stroping does not sharpen the blade. A sharp edge has very tiny teeth along the edge, sort of like saw teeth, that you cannot see without magnification. With use, these teeth get out of line. Stropping realignes these teeth. Obviously, you can't sharpen a cartridge blade. You can strop a cartridge blade but only on one side, so I don't think it would be very effective.
Slow and steady wins the race.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

livesoft wrote:Gillette razor handles come free in the mail every year. I suppose you have to live in certain ZIP codes to get that kind of marketing.
My post was prescient or Gillette knows about me. I got another free razor handle and a Mach 3 blade in the mail yesterday. I gave it to my son, so it should last about 5 years for him.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
kwan2

Post by kwan2 »

I had always heard that it is Not good to go back and forth between Manual Razors and Electric, something like , 'it takes a few weeks' till your face gets used to the Electric.

Is there any science behind this or can I go back and forth ? I like the convenience of electric, but once in a while, a close shave ...

shmidds wrote:Braun electric razor, morning and evening, followed by a Gillette Fusion. I first hone the Fusion on my forearms 20 times and pat dry it when done. Replace both set of blades every 6-8 months.
“The history of Paris teaches us that beauty is a by-product of danger, that liberty is at best a consequence of neglect, that wisdom is entwined with decay."
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

"Saturday Night Live" has a long tradition of spoofing commercials. You older folks might remember when the first double-blade razor came out. The TV commercials featured an animation of how the second blade followed the first to give you a closer shave. SNL decided that it would be funny to spoof this by creating their own animation of how a triple-bladed razor would be even better. Little did they know what was to come...
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

bottomfisher wrote:

I tried it this weekend and it actually works! I'm amazed :D
windaar

Post by windaar »

leonard wrote:
Leesbro63 wrote:One trick that I use on days when I don't want a 5PM shadow: Shave twice. I shave with my GOOD NEWS once as I usually do. Wash off all the shave cream residue and rinse the razor. Then re-lather and shave again. It really works. BTW, the GILETTE FUSION with the $4 blade ALSO required doing this so not getting the closest possible shave was not a function of a cheap razor. I got no better a single shave with the Fusion and did get the same better double shave with Fusion...same results as the 47 cent GOOD NEWS.
Yes. It's a called a 2 pass shave. DE/Wet shavers have always been doing 2 or more passes.
Yes! A multi-pass shave works best if you know the "map" of your beard (which direction the whiskers grow). Many DE shavers find the most comfortable and smooth shave to result from doing the first pass with the grain, the second pass across the grain, and then hitting problem areas with a 3rd pass against the grain, with a full lather before each pass.
Nobody knows nothing.
leonard

Post by leonard »

windaar wrote:
leonard wrote:
Yes! A multi-pass shave works best if you know the "map" of your beard (which direction the whiskers grow). Many DE shavers find the most comfortable and smooth shave to result from doing the first pass with the grain, the second pass across the grain, and then hitting problem areas with a 3rd pass against the grain, with a full lather before each pass.
Just as you described - only my 3rd pass is against the grain.

DE wet shave is the only way to go.

Would never go back to the 10-blade heads or the cheese graters that they try to pass off as electric shavers.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
kwan2

Post by kwan2 »

er whatsa DE, how to map a beard? and what about my question on switching back and forth ?
windaar wrote:
leonard wrote:
“The history of Paris teaches us that beauty is a by-product of danger, that liberty is at best a consequence of neglect, that wisdom is entwined with decay."
windaar

Post by windaar »

kwan2 wrote:er whatsa DE, how to map a beard? and what about my question on switching back and forth ?
DE = Double Edged blade, the kind your Dad used. Razor for these would be an old Gillette safety razor found on eBay or a brand new model such as a Merkur. I prefer an old Gillette. One in good condition will last forever they are made of nickel coated brass and they are well constructed. Blades are plentiful through many online sources such as Amazon. WalMart does carry Wilkinsons in a 10-pack for less than $2. You "map" your beard by figuring out the way the grain changes across your face and neck, and then shave accordingly, as described in the above posts. I don't know about switching from blade to electric. I avoid electrics entirely since they really ravage one's skin.
Nobody knows nothing.
raildogg

Post by raildogg »

Hey everyone, I've been using straight razors since I started shaving. I've noticed that if I don't use a more expensive razor, such as the Gillette Fusion, I don't get a close shave. Of course, a really close shave also means a somewhat drier skin for me. I really don't want to pay that much for a Gillette Fusion and most of the disposables I've used cause irritation and the quality of the shave isn't as good. So, I am not sure if a safety razor like a Merkur would be good or not. I'm also a bit hesitant due to the perceived difficulty and complicated process of it. Also, if someone here can comment on the Dollarshaveclub.com I would appreciate it.

So basically, I'm trying to find something that is very cost effective yet gives a close shave. Appreciate any responses.
kwan2

Post by kwan2 »

I wish there were some 'science' to this, eg what is worse for the skin Electric, or too close a shave, etc, seems like female skin type, it's trial and error....
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I have used a safety razor for most of my shaving life. I tried an electric razor briefly when someone gave me one; however, I never felt it gave me as good a shave as the safety razor, and I never liked the feel of the electric razor against my skin.
Gordon
roymeo

Post by roymeo »

Abe wrote:
bottomfisher wrote:

Yes, I tried it and it made my blade duller. When I tried this I used a piece of cloth instead of my arm which may be why it didn't work. I think most razor blades have a protective coating on them so you have to be careful and not take it off. The basic idea is to strop the blade as opposed to sharpening. To sharpen a blade, knife, straight razor or whatever, you use a wet stone using a forward motion. Once the blade is sharp, you can strop the blade using a backward motion as shown on the video. The stroping does not sharpen the blade. A sharp edge has very tiny teeth along the edge, sort of like saw teeth, that you cannot see without magnification. With use, these teeth get out of line. Stropping realignes these teeth. Obviously, you can't sharpen a cartridge blade. You can strop a cartridge blade but only on one side, so I don't think it would be very effective.

I'm not entirely convinced these YouTube videos aren't just another Fool's Errand like popping corn with cellphones or opening your car with a tennis ball videos.
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

I bought a 100 pack of Astra Platinum blades for $11 to go along w/ my Merkur razor. The best part about using 11 cent blades is that I don't mind replacing them at the 1st sign of them going dull. It almost feels luxurious compared to my Mach 3 days when I tried to prolong the life of each cartridge.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

steve roy wrote:Use Gilette disposables from Costco. They work great, and after a year they've cost me next to nothing.
I also use the Gilette Mach III razors from Costco. They come in packages of 14 and I buy about one package per year when Costco has a coupon for them.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
interplanetjanet

Post by interplanetjanet »

Probably not applicable for the guys, but I gave up on shaving my legs many years ago when I found my first well-made epilator (a tweezer-style Braun, not those Epilady rotating spring torture devices). There's no incremental cost at all and I can use it once every other week instead of shaving once every other day.

The first time really hurts. The second time kind of hurts. After that it's not bad at all (the new hairs coming in are all thin with small roots).
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

Since the early 1980s when I began to shave, I have been using a simple Schick Super II handle and those cheap cartridges you can get at CVS or Rite-Aid (a 10-pack for around $7). I also have an electric razor because some parts of my face are shaved better and more easily with that than with the Schick. I shave about every other day and each cartridge lasts about 3 or 4 weeks.

But over the years, the handle began to fail to keep the cartridge firmly on it, as it would slide around. I would slide a small bit of TP between the cartridge and the handle which has worked well in that time. But in the last few weeks the handle has begun to fall apart, so it has become more and more difficult to keep the cartridges on the handle. Replacement cartridges are easy to find, but a new Super II handle is not. All of those new, fancy handles and cartridges are much more expensive than the Super II. I see in this thread that there are some decent, cheap alternatives such as good disposables. I still have 5 or 6 unused cartridges I'd like to use.

Is it worthwhile to find and buy a new Super II handle or switch to something else?
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Looks like SUPER II are easy to find on Ebay
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

Leesbro63 wrote:Looks like SUPER II are easy to find on Ebay
What's your take on buying Supermax Sii from Amazon? Mostly good reviews.