Tattoo removal

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
0cean23

Tattoo removal

Post by 0cean23 »

Has anyone here had their tatto removed? If so what is the best process to get this done?
Mill

Re: Tattoo removal

Post by Mill »

time machine.
Vittelx

Post by Vittelx »

My GF are in the process of having hers removed. She has two, a small one on each shoulder. She is getting the laser treatments and it seems to be working. She is on her 7 or 8th one now, and they seem to have faded 50-60%. So hopefully arround her 15th treatment they will be all gone.

There are no scaring so far, and she can go get a treatment like once a month or something like that.

So....its possible but it takes a while :wink:
travellight

Post by travellight »

lasers
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

I had a friend that had his removed by laser and it was very painful. In his case I understood it because his tattoos did not stand the test of time for an adult (i.e. The Grim Reaper, The Devil, skulls, etc.)

In my case I'm 49 and still love my two tattoos. Actually I got the second one at 45. I would only get them removed if the subject matter was evil or dark or something that totally does not match who I am as a person.

I still love Mickey Mouse and I have a baby parrot. Both tattoos are still near and dear to me.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
dhodson

Post by dhodson »

Depends on the colors and if amateur or professionally done.

Multiple colors are harder to remove with laser. Blacks much easier to remove especially if amateurly done.

Consider freedom 2 ink if getting another one.
wdare

Post by wdare »

I had one removed in 2000-2001 time frame. It was a particularly nasty looking pirate skull. I thought it was pretty cool when I was 19. Anyway, they never did get the green eyes out. Those eyes are still staring up at me from my forearm. The rest of the tattoo still shows as slightly lighter skin that the rest of my arm, but not too bad.
The removal process was 9 treatments. Each treatment was 10 weeks apart and each cost $350. And each treatment was painful, much more painful than getting the original tattoo. The laser burns the skin, not real bad but it takes a few weeks to heal. 10 weeks to heal completely, hence the 10 weeks between treatments.
Hopefully, the technology has improved and the price has come down since 2000.
Good luck with that.
abonder

Post by abonder »

Try and find a reputable dermatologist to evaluate the potential efficacy of laser removal. As earlier participants have already noted, the ability to remove successfully depends on the type and color of the tattoo. My wife is a dermatologist with additional training in lasers/cosmetics and she rarely recommends removal bc of the high cost and unreliable results in many situations. She honestly counsels patients on the expected results and cost and most end up deciding against it. There's a financial incentive for whoever is doing the procedure so be wary. I respect my wife's honesty in counseling patients on this matter - she's a great dermatologist but a horrible salesperson - which is good bc it seems like the right way to care for patients. Just be wary that many providers are less scrupulous and more "entrepreneurial"