Wanting to spend money all of a sudden

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
southwest_stacker

Wanting to spend money all of a sudden

Post by southwest_stacker »

I consider myself a frugal person.

I am 36, have a paid for house,no debts, good income, and fully fund retirement. I think I am way ahead of the game for our age.

Years ago I bought a sports car and sold it after a year because I did not drive it. It had nothing to do with the cost of it or needing money I just hated seeing it sitting there not being used.

I bought a Harley a few years back and same thing did not ride it so I sold it.

We bought a boat 6 years ago and it has not been in the water ten times. Wife wants to keep it so we have it but we never use it.

After these three things I have stopped buying toys but my income keeps going up and I pretty much live my life like I was a college student or something.

I have been working 80 hour weeks most of this year and have been raking in the money and I have the itch to spend it on something but don't know what. I don't want to buy some toy that never gets used or waste the money but I also am getting burned out on saving because I feel I am almost saving too much. What am I going to need all this money for when I am old if I don't spend anywhere near that now?

Anyone else feel this way?
Atilla

Re: Wanting to spend money all of a sudden

Post by Atilla »

Start buying guns, lots of ammo and go shooting on the weekends. That'll burn up some cash.
Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

I would spend that money and buy yourself about 40 hrs/week.
My god man you need to enjoy life and quit working so damn much.
DA
mhc

Post by mhc »

Find someone who needs help, and help him. That will be more satisfying than just blowing money. Or find a charity and donate.

Otherwise, take some nice vacations, eat at nicer restaurants, ....
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Stop buying things and start buying experiences. See the world.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Take the wife on a long cruise to the South Pacific...romance and the beautiful islands will be good for both of you. http://www.islands.com/articles/paul-ga ... south-seas When you get back, have the car of your dreams waiting at the dock.
Jim
Last edited by Sheepdog on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
Topic Author
southwest_stacker

Atilla wrote:Start buying guns, lots of ammo and go shooting on the weekends. That'll burn up some cash.
I do like guns but it is a similar deal. I have bought maybe ten of them over the past couple years and have not shot a single one of them.

I used to enjoy shooting, hunting & fishing but have not been in years.
entyrii

Post by entyrii »

Devil's Advocate wrote:I would spend that money and buy yourself about 40 hrs/week.
My god man you need to enjoy life and quit working so damn much.
DA
Agreed. Clearly spending your money on silly depreciating assets like motorcycles and cars is a waste of your time and resources since you clearly don't get any enjoyment out of them. I'd cut your working down to 40 hours a week and buy yourself a life! :P
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." | -Montgomery Scott
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

+1 to working better hours so you, like, survive and to buying stuff you actually will use or experience, and to giving it to a charity that means something to you.
serbeer

Post by serbeer »

Take some time off and go to a few worry-free all-inclusive vacations to Caribbean with your wife. Check Apple Vacations website (many other sites but for someone doing it the first time, package bought through AV will be the best value IMO--I purchased from them a lot myself but have no affiliations otherwise). You will not be able to burn too much money this way since most vacations are <$2K per person per 7 nights and someone as busy as you is unlikely to be able to carve out more than a few weeks per year, but I suspect your goal is not to burn your money on something but to get to feel that they are giving you something worthwhile.

If I were you, I would not mule it over for a long time but would book a week through Apple Vacations site or some other site. Make sure to get 6-apple property if you want the very best, and don't settle for less than 5-apples property or else you are likely to be disappointed. Most people start with Jamaica, Dominican Republic, or Mexico resorts, and most stick to them, but some "move up" to more expensive Bermudas and like.

Based on your story, I find it unlikely that you will derive enjoyment from material things, but experiences are much more likely to make you feel better IMO.
dbcoop

Post by dbcoop »

You never have enough money being under 40 not knowing what your estimated 3-5M today will be worth at retirement. Will this income last till you need it no longer? Compounding, compounding,compounding, JMO :happy
A computer is essentially a file cabinet with an electric typewriter and a television attached to it.
runner9

Post by runner9 »

Pay for some improvement/room redo in your house, something you'll enjoy for years to come. Stop working so many hours so you're home to enjoy it as well!
grapeape

Post by grapeape »

If you have to "buy" something, I think a nice vacation would be the best "purchase" Maybe you have some hobby for which you can get new, nice equipment (i.e. new nice mountain bike, golf clubs, hiking gear...whatever fits your interests). If you have children, you can "buy" their college education by funding it now. Nice watch? And if your job allows it, if you make so much more money than you need to save and live the lifestyle you want, working less and making less makes sense, unless you just truly love work more than not working. I personally would rather work a little less and have less money and I would travel. Good luck!
OnFire

Post by OnFire »

I neve really had that problem, but I did have a need to blow money. I knew I was going to have kids and be tied down, so I went nuts and traveled the world. In three years I went to Cancun, Cozumel (twice), Maui, Kauai, Ireland, San Diego, Arizona, Las Vegas and recently hit the Bahamas. Don't regret it one bit.

I know of very few people who regret traveling to beautiful vacations while they are young. If you wait until you are 70, you may not be able to hike, mountain bike, ski, SCUBA, etc.

My father worked 80 hour weeks for 35 years, until he dropped dead from his 3rd heart attack at age 58. Do not waste your youth working for money you don't need. He died nearly broke, having spent nearly everything on race cars, horses, boats, vacation homes, sand rails, motorcycles, etc. He had a lot more fun than you seem to be having. I would say that you need to embrace your passions, whatever they may be.

"The candle that burns twice twice as bright, only burns half as long. And you have shone so very brightly...."

The movie "Blade Runner" based on an old proverb accredited to Lao Tzu
Where are all the customers yachts? | | “The most powerful force in the Universe is compound interest.” -Albert Einstein
englishgirl

Post by englishgirl »

Buy some fuel for that boat and go out and use it! Take a day off and get out on the water. If it needs some work before you do that, hire a cleaning crew or whoever to make it nice.

I don't think the problem is not spending money. It's not taking time off to enjoy some of life - after all, what's the point if we never get to enjoy anything?
Sarah
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

It sounds like you have become a "work robot" - Perhaps you enjoy the work and it became all-consuming or you are a small biz owner? 80 hrs a week is absurd - If you take Sundays off that's 14 hour days - not mentally healthy for most of us. You need to spend some $$$ on "slacker lessons".
mike143

Post by mike143 »

Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
Topic Author
southwest_stacker

Lots of good advice here - Thanks.

As to the hours of work I am self employed and work 7 days a week. Long term I am working on some ideas to get me more time off maybe hiring more help, etc but for now there is not much I can do about it. Work is complicated and pretty much all of our business comes from five clients and we can't really turn away jobs from them so whatever they want us to do we figure out how to do it. I am not always this busy but have been this year.

Travel may be an option. I travel a lot for work. Maybe 150+ days a year on the road including some international. When I am not working I like to be at home not traveling more. I think my wife would like to travel places but I have been so many places I really enjoy just being home. The other issue is we have small children and the wife will not leave them anywhere so it is hard for us to just get away.

I guess it is just crazy to me where my life is right now. I love my family, I enjoy my work, I am making more money than I ever dreamed I would and I just feel like something is missing like I never do anything for myself. I really don't mind the work I do but I often wonder why I do it. Sometimes I feel like I am going to keep doing this and be a 50 yr old man with millions in the bank, my youth gone, and nothing to show for it.
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

What does your wife want? What do your kids want? Surely there is travel/experiences/etc you can buy for them, which don't involve buying them "stuff". Perhaps you currently feel they have everything they want, or exactly what they need and the 'right amount' of want to keep them from being spoiled.

But in any case, this sounds like it should be the subject of a long discussion between you and your wife. I suggest perhaps looking realistically at your current workload and finding WHEN might be a good break point. I.e. in 9 months I will be finished with work for client X, and will not look for additional clients. In 1.5 years i will be done with client Y, and will not replace that client.

If you can create a timeline, you (and your family) might feel better, knowing that there is a strategy in place for dialing things down with your work, and actually finding TIME to enjoy your money. What's the point of all that money if it's only going to be used to line your coffin with jewels?
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes".
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

southwest_stacker wrote:As to the hours of work I am self employed and work 7 days a week. Long term I am working on some ideas to get me more time off maybe hiring more help, etc but for now there is not much I can do about it. Work is complicated and pretty much all of our business comes from five clients and we can't really turn away jobs from them so whatever they want us to do we figure out how to do it. I am not always this busy but have been this year.

Travel may be an option. I travel a lot for work. Maybe 150+ days a year on the road including some international. When I am not working I like to be at home not traveling more. I think my wife would like to travel places but I have been so many places I really enjoy just being home. The other issue is we have small children and the wife will not leave them anywhere so it is hard for us to just get away.

I guess it is just crazy to me where my life is right now. I love my family, I enjoy my work, I am making more money than I ever dreamed I would and I just feel like something is missing like I never do anything for myself. I really don't mind the work I do but I often wonder why I do it. Sometimes I feel like I am going to keep doing this and be a 50 yr old man with millions in the bank, my youth gone, and nothing to show for it.
You might want to take some time to read up on time management for self-employed contractors. One of the biggest mistakes that can be made is to over-commit your time. You think the client will be upset if you tell them you don't have time to do a project as the client proposes (specifications, deadlines, etc.), but they will be even more upset if you so over-commit your time that you make mistakes on the project and/or miss the deadline anyways. The first thing you have to learn to keep your sanity and your business reputation is when to say "no" because you just don't have the resources to get the project done the way the client wants it done and/or on the client's time schedule. Good clients will appreciate the honesty. And it doesn't have to be a flat-out rejection of a project. If you have a more reasonable time frame in which you could complete it, negotiate for that time frame, even if it means dropping your prices a bit.

You ultimately control what projects you commit yourself to as a self-employed person. If you feel overwhelmed and like you are missing something, these are signs that you have over-committed your time and you need to set up better boundaries with your clients or hire additional help. Yes, you might lose a client if you set up boundaries on your time, but it doesn't sound like you'd be hurting financially with only 4 clients instead of 5. Don't let fear of losing one client make you work so much that you're burned out. Just remind yourself that it is important to you to spend more time at home with your family the next time you feel pressured to take on too much work.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Spend it on your kids - each year you can gift them up to $28K per couple, tax free.
Open a UTMA or set-up a trust. Do you have a 529 plan for each of them?
How about your home? Does it need any sprucing up? As The Price is Right showcase goes:
Behind door #1 is......a new car. Behind door #2 is......a trip to Tahiti!! Behind door #3 is....a new kitchen.

Or do as work colleague is doing - established a f u fund, when the number is hit, they are permanently retiring from the workforce on their own terms. :sharebeer
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Perhaps a Trained Mental Health Professional should be consulted on this?
It doesn't mean you're NUTS, just that you want to understand what's driving you...
Attempted new signature...
Dibbels81

Post by Dibbels81 »

Peruse Kickstarter. There are some very cool and worthwhile campaigns that you can be a primary donor for (not to mention the sweet and unique perks that come along with it).
Randomize

Post by Randomize »

If you like to travel but don't want to drive, these look pretty darned awesome: http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/regio ... index.aspx
LowER

Post by LowER »

It sounds like you're a human doing and not a human being. Ask me how I know. I could give advice but it would be hollow and advice hard for me to follow myself, and I'd be a hypocrite. Good luck to both of us brother.
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

It sounds like you're a human doing and not a human being. Ask me how I know. I could give advice but it would be hollow and advice hard for me to follow myself, and I'd be a hypocrite. Good luck to both of us brother. LowER

Cool. Awareness is the first step.

Best, BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

I just want to know how you have retirement fully funded, but yet can't cut back on work??

The two don't jive. Either you have a lot of money which buys you financial freedom or you don't. Which one is it??

If you don't then you have to choose between work and making money. Simple as that.

BTW, no matter what you will buy you will enjoy as you don't have enough time off to enjoy.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
Vanner

Post by Vanner »

I think a person like you should spend more time with the wife/kids. The gift of your time is what they probably need the most. Maybe you can hire some help so you can do that? I only work 45 hours a week, and wish I had more time to be with mine.
adave

Post by adave »

I plan on giving up a substantial part of my income to cut my hours back 40% starting the end of this year. Just isn't worth the stress and pain anymore. Making a lot of money is great but it is more important to enjoy your life and have free time for the things you enjoy imo! I am also 36.
MossySF

Post by MossySF »

You may still be at the stage where creating your business gives you more pleasure than anything else. There is nothing wrong with that.
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

Go buy a house that makes people say "I wonder who lives there?" when they drive by. It's the ulitmate ego booster.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

Flashes1 wrote:Go buy a house that makes people say "I wonder who lives there?" when they drive by. It's the ulitmate ego booster.
Or they might say, I wonder what tasteless person owns that McMansion that's a blight on the neighborhood.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

The Wizard wrote:Perhaps a Trained Mental Health Professional should be consulted on this?
It doesn't mean you're NUTS, just that you want to understand what's driving you...
Is any deviation from the standard lifestyle, thoughts and desires a mental-health case?

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
jodydavis

Post by jodydavis »

Agree with the others who suggest that this probably isn't about the money. The sudden desire to want to spend money is telling you something. And based on your past experience buying things, it's unlikely that finding something to spend money on is going to, by itself, make you feel better. You need to figure out what's missing, and let go of the idea that it's about spending money on something. (If it helps, I think this is not uncommon for folks who have achieved many or most of their external goals.) Sorry to sound so zen about this ....
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

southwest_stacker wrote:Maybe 150+ days a year on the road including some international.
If you love your family, drop 1-2 clients, and spend some time with your kids. You ARE going to be a 50 year old man someday with serious regrets if you don't do this.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

VictoriaF wrote:
The Wizard wrote:Perhaps a Trained Mental Health Professional should be consulted on this?
Is any deviation from the standard lifestyle, thoughts and desires a mental-health case?

Victoria
You say that as if Mental Health is a bad thing.
If OP claims to have everything under control, then fine.
But he talks about buying stuff that never gets used and seems upset with this.
Sounds like a mild problem that could be fixed...
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

The Wizard wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
You say that as if Mental Health is a bad thing.
If OP claims to have everything under control, then fine.
But he talks about buying stuff that never gets used and seems upset with this.
Sounds like a mild problem that could be fixed...
Mental health is a good thing when it encompasses a full spectrum of human feelings and desires, when it provides happiness and sadness, when it triggers rational and irrational behaviors. Mental health is also a good thing when one knows how to deal with low moments.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 »

I recommend finding a way to spend more time with your family. Kids grow up so fast, you are probably missing out on a big part of their lives. My father was self employed, worked a lot of hours (but was not successful) and and I felt like I had one parent--my mother. Like me, your kids may feel that they have only one parent if you work 80 hours a week. Your kids and wife may not want more toys/more stuff, they probably want more time being a family.

If you don't want to travel since you do it for work, figure out other ways to spend more time with your kids. Don't look back years from now and wonder why you have no relationship with your kids (and/or possibly your wife.) And don't make excuses about how you can't hire anyone to help out with your business - it's your choice to hire someone or not, your choice to work more/less, and your choice to neglect your family. Don't kid yourself that you're working this hard for your family - at some point I'm guessing that may not be true.
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

Likely, there's a line that can be drawn here.

Following one's own true path and desire is often seen as a very good thing.

Engaging in behavior that threatens one's health (in all forms) or relationships or sounds off an internal bell
prompting one to pose such questions on an internet forum - is likely not.

BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
HurdyGurdy

Post by HurdyGurdy »

Give some money to a worthy cause.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Barefootgirl wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:Is any deviation from the standard lifestyle, thoughts and desires a mental-health case?
Likely, there's a line that can be drawn here.

Following one's own true path and desire is often seen as a very good thing.

Engaging in behavior that threatens one's health (in all forms) or relationships or sounds off an internal bell
prompting one to pose such questions on an internet forum - is likely not.

BFG
When one has a computer issue, he posts it in a public forum, and people with a wide range of perspectives provide their take on the situation. The person then synthesizes the responses and troubleshoots the issue on his own, without the need for professional help.

When one has a life-experience issue, why is he automatically sent to the professionals?

Victoria
Ged

Post by Ged »

southwest_stacker wrote:I consider myself a frugal person.

I am 36, have a paid for house,no debts, good income, and fully fund retirement. I think I am way ahead of the game for our age.

Years ago I bought a sports car and sold it after a year because I did not drive it. It had nothing to do with the cost of it or needing money I just hated seeing it sitting there not being used.

I bought a Harley a few years back and same thing did not ride it so I sold it.

We bought a boat 6 years ago and it has not been in the water ten times. Wife wants to keep it so we have it but we never use it.

After these three things I have stopped buying toys but my income keeps going up and I pretty much live my life like I was a college student or something.

I have been working 80 hour weeks most of this year and have been raking in the money and I have the itch to spend it on something but don't know what.

Anyone else feel this way?
Sometimes I spend on stuff that I don't use. But most of the time not. A lot of it is about figuring out what you want from life.

Maybe a therapist would be a help in getting you down that road.
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

When one has a computer issue, he posts it in a public forum, and people with a wide range of perspectives provide their take on the situation. The person then synthesizes the responses and troubleshoots the issue on his own, without the need for professional help.

When one has a life-experience issue, why is he automatically sent to the professionals?

Perhaps it is because the stakes are much higher.

BFG
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

Saving too much? How much?
You may appreciate being a multimillionaire in your 50s.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Barefootgirl wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:When one has a computer issue, he posts it in a public forum, and people with a wide range of perspectives provide their take on the situation. The person then synthesizes the responses and troubleshoots the issue on his own, without the need for professional help.

Perhaps it is because the stakes are much higher.

BFG
When the stakes are higher it's even more important to get a wide variety of information and learn solving one's own issues.

Victoria
iceman

Post by iceman »

VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
The Wizard's thought occurred to me too. Not because OP is posting about wanting to move away from work, work, work - but because at least in OP's initial posts, some potential hints of depression were there. OP had a sports car, motorcycle, boat he never used/uses. Also said he had been interested in guns but never shoots anymore. That could be someone who is very much focused on their own business they are growing (and doing so happily), but losing interest in hobbies, etc, can also be signs of depression.

We can't really tell much from a few posts (nor are we trained mental health professionals), and subsequent posts from the OP seemed to indicate that he isn't necessarily unhappy day-to-day just going through a standard big-picture life examination that we all do from time to time. If that's the case, then OP, I agree with others' suggestions - try to find ways to push back on your clients (I know - much easier said than done). Or if you don't feel you business is on stable enough footing yet, set a specific date (6 months, a year) where you'll reevaluate things.

I would also think through what your plans for work are 10, 15 and 20 years down the road. If you think you would be content to retire early and pursue other interests, then you might say some period of overloaded work (I'm thinking weeks to months worth, not years) are worth it (build that nest egg as fast as you can). If you see yourself wanting to work longer in order to keep busy, then I would try see how you can turn your business into something more part-time.
gasman

Post by gasman »

I have the same types of feelings. Been deferring gratification for a very long time. I have loosened up on spending somewhat. Didn't hit me till late 40s. Travel more, stay at nicer properties, redecorated the house, paid for a landscaping/lawn service so I don't have to do it, eat out more and don't sweat ordering a decent bottle of wine with dinner.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

iceman wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
The Wizard's thought occurred to me too. Not because OP is posting about wanting to move away from work, work, work - but because at least in OP's initial posts, some potential hints of depression were there. OP had a sports car, motorcycle, boat he never used/uses. Also said he had been interested in guns but never shoots anymore. That could be someone who is very much focused on their own business they are growing (and doing so happily), but losing interest in hobbies, etc, can also be signs of depression.
When I saw these descriptions, my immediate diagnosis was not depression but willpower depletion. Most people do not understand how willpower works; they assume that the strong types have willpower and weaklings don't. The reality is very different.

Roy F. Baumeister has done extensive research of willpower summarized in his book Willpower: Rediscovering the Greatest Human Strength. Everyone has limited supplies of willpower, and exercise of willpower depletes it. Those who display willpower, know how to manage this resource, those who don't don't.

The OP is depleting his willpower on his job, and he has no willpower left when he is faced with temptations of cars, motorcycles, boats, guns, etc. He gives in to the temptations but has no opportunities to actually used their fruits.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

frugaltype wrote:
Flashes1 wrote:Go buy a house that makes people say "I wonder who lives there?" when they drive by. It's the ulitmate ego booster.
Or they might say, I wonder what tasteless person owns that McMansion that's a blight on the neighborhood.
I can assure you such a house is hardly a "blight on the neighborhood." It's a testament to the power of the American economy and one's hard work and intelligence....and just a little bit of luck mixed in. :happy
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

I don't want to veer into Medical Advice for the OP, but there's a lot of psychology that goes into some spending habits.
People go shopping sometimes to "feel good", etc.
I think we can all agree that the healthiest way to pursue recreational activities is to develop several activity interests over time and then spend money selectively to pursue those interests...