What did you give your wife on your wedding day?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
praxis

Re: What did you give your wife on your wedding day?

Post by praxis » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:23 pm

[quote=
We have a coffee maker that has a timer. My "investment" in a gift is to get up 10 minutes before my wife every morning so that I can bring her a cup of coffee, in her favorite mug, right to the bedside. My wife knows, especially since I no longer work outside the home and don't have a train to catch, that the only reason I do this is because I love her and it pleases me greatly to make her day a bit better than it would have been otherwise. She still, after all these years, says "Oh thank you, honey" as though it were a surprise, every morning.[/quote]

+1

chaz

Post by chaz » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:25 pm

DW got me - lucky her.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

More Please

Post by More Please » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:34 pm

Tear up the pre-nup?

soaring

Post by soaring » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:37 pm

camoaero wrote:
TSR wrote:I'm no expert on these matters, but if you want to "spoil her" as you suggest, you might consider waiting until about a month or two after the wedding. After the figurative "honeymoon" (and perhaps before the literal one?), there may be a bit of an "oh, we're married" lull. Get her a big ol' present of whatever sort she'd like and tell her it's just because you're so happy and feel so lucky to be married to her. I can't imagine that wouldn't go over well.

This is a great idea.....thanks.....

How thoughtful.
Desiderata

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:43 pm

A ring……….and she gave me one. It was lovely.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

entyrii

Post by entyrii » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:58 pm

We got married 2 months ago. I gave her a diamond ring and a vacation to Europe (not to mention virtually all of the other wedding arrangements and expenses themselves)... the idea that we should have bought each other even more gifts in addition to the normal wedding stuff boggles my mind, but to each their own!
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." | -Montgomery Scott

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:30 pm

I gave her the best husband ever. :D

And a mother of pearl/diamond pendant on a white gold chain.
The Village Idiot - here for your entertainment.

camoaero

Post by camoaero » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:39 pm

pennstater2005 wrote:A ring……….and she gave me one. It was lovely.
:beer ....well said

HornedToad

Post by HornedToad » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:50 pm

My wife got me a GPS since I'm terrible with directions and she promised to be my GPS through life.

I think I got her pearl earrings.

Unfortunately she still gets tired of me asking for directions to somewhere we've been 5 times before.... Next time embedded GPS in the car dashboard.

Lilly

Post by Lilly » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:11 pm

I was the wife and didn't get anything from my husband. I didn't get him anything either. Except the rings.

My son on the other hand did get his soon to be wife something the day of the wedding. Just simple. He ordered flowers for her and had them sent to the salon that was doing her hair for the wedding.

Best wishes and congratulations,

Lily

6miths

Post by 6miths » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:36 pm

Blues wrote:
frugaltype wrote:
6miths wrote:Agree with all of the above sentiment! A ring, a party, and a vow to honor, cherish and mainly OBEY! Seemed like enough at the time. Still does... :D
Excuse me, obey? What is this, the 19th century? :-)
I think he meant that he was doing the obeying. Seems quite the modern man to me. :P :twisted:

:sharebeer

(Gotta run, my wife's calling... :mrgreen: )

Oh yes, definitely me who is doing the majority of the obeying!! Never was going to be much doubt about that. :happy
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

MIGIHIDARI

Post by MIGIHIDARI » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:22 pm

We married over 41 years ago. Gave each other promise of a lifetime together :happy

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:30 pm

Does a hangover count?

We had a great rehearsal dinner the night before and a great wedding.

czeckers

Post by czeckers » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:15 am

[OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]

On a serious note, I think whether or not you decide to give her a wedding present totally depends on the type of person your fiancee is. If she enjoys small gifts, then by all means get her one. If not, then don't. There are different ways of expressing your love: gifts, time spent alone together, physical affection, demonstrating interest in her favorite activities, etc. You will be a much happier husband if you can figure out which approach most makes her feel loved and then go with it.

I did give my wife a trophy after the delivery of our sixth child just because it felt like some kind of a milestone and because she appreciated the humor in it. Otherwise, I think the baby makes a pretty awesome pushing present! (particularly if you don't know the gender yet)

-K
The Espresso portfolio: | | 16% LCV, 16% SCV, 16% EM, 8% Int'l Value, 8% Int'l Sm, 8% US REIT, 8% Int'l REIT, 20% Inter-term US Treas | | "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:40 pm

My undying love.

You gonna find anything better than that?

(and a wedding ring, but I don't that is really what the op is asking for)
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

Dulocracy

Post by Dulocracy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:26 pm

investingdad wrote:Is this a new trend?
No. It is an old tradition that has almost died out. I inherited an antique pearl necklace from my grandmother for the specific purpose of having my wife wear it on our wedding day. I gave my wife a pearl necklace, which she loved.
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.

rocket

Post by rocket » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:56 am

I did not give my wife a gift on our wedding day. She did not give me a gift on our wedding day.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:38 am

A couple of years ago, when we were at the jewelry store shopping for her wedding ring, my wife also was checking out some simple pearl earrings. The saleslady (artfully) suggested that they would make a great wedding day gift.

I, being an old and out-of-touch fogy, had never heard of such a practice. Apparently it's a thing now. :?

Anyway, the earrings went perfectly with the necklace my bride-to-be was planning on wearing, and they weren't too expensive. So I got 'em. She loved them. The wedding was great. There you have it.

Is the idea of wedding presents between spouses on their wedding day a ridiculous one? Yup. But you're getting married. The sooner you develop the ability to begrudgingly do ridiculous things, the better. :P
Last edited by JupiterJones on Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stay on target...

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:38 am

On a related note, to celebrate the fact that I've typed up and submitted the above post, I'm having a "Post Shower" this Sunday afternoon. I'm registered at Target and at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

Saturday, I'll be having a "Pre-Post-Shower Shower" in honor of the Post Shower I'll be having the next day. I'm registered at Amazon and Brookstone for that. Or you can just bring a nice bottle of whisky.
Stay on target...

jon-nyc

Post by jon-nyc » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:43 pm

She gave me a nice watch (IWC Portugueser) and i gave her some simple diamond earrings.

Oddly though we're not usually gift givers, most anniversaries and birthdays go by without a gift.

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:09 pm

He got me a ring, similar to the one I got him. I still wear it. Spousal wedding presents are silly; there is no need to add to or distract from the main event. Gifts should be saved for another occasion, or none at all - there will be no shortage of opportunities for gift giving.

The push present is equally absurd. Or is the baby not quite enough?

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:10 pm

JupiterJones wrote:On a related note, to celebrate the fact that I've typed up and submitted the above post, I'm having a "Post Shower" this Sunday afternoon. I'm registered at Target and at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

Saturday, I'll be having a "Pre-Post-Shower Shower" in honor of the Post Shower I'll be having the next day. I'm registered at Amazon and Brookstone for that. Or you can just bring a nice bottle of whisky.
"Post Showers" are ok, but a "Pre Post Shower Shower" come on that's just tacky. I got the whisky.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

Cuzz35

Post by Cuzz35 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:23 pm

Nothing special. Nice wedding rings and a not anything spectacular honeymoon. We married at 23 so couldn't afford the weeks long trips most of my peers seem to take. But then again, my peers get married in their 30s and have kids around 40. I did both by 25.

If I could do it over I would probably try to think of something sentimental. But the wedding itself has so many memories in itself that I don't think I could come up with anything that would make the day more special.

fatlittlepig

Post by fatlittlepig » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:02 am

if this is what you are struggling with, your priorities are whacked.
camoaero wrote:I'm getting married in about six weeks and I'm still struggling with a wedding gift for my soon to be wife. What did you get your wife? Any suggestions or lessons learned?
fatlittlepig

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:57 am

fatlittlepig wrote:if this is what you are struggling with, your priorities are whacked.
camoaero wrote:I'm getting married in about six weeks and I'm still struggling with a wedding gift for my soon to be wife. What did you get your wife? Any suggestions or lessons learned?
Maybe it's a diversion to save him getting too freaked out about getting married. Sort of like a cigarette before the firing squad :twisted:

For the record, I'm just kidding; I've been very happily married for many years.
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

jayars35

Post by jayars35 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:03 am

We gave each other rings from Service Merchandise then a three day Honeymoon at the Holiday Inn in Pinehurst NC. Had to keep it to three days as we got married on the 26th of June and I had to be out of my apartment before the 1st of July or pay another full month rent and neither of us was rolling in dough.

Out of curiosity, I asked my dad about giving my mom a present on their wedding day. He said he never heard of that before.

jayars

WorkToLive

Post by WorkToLive » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:48 am

I gave my husband a cash gift to purchase an oboe. He was in graduate school (i.e., poor as a church mouse) and had been hungering for an oboe of his own for years. I, on the other hand, had been in the work force for seven years and had some savings. It's the only time I've ever seen a gift make him get teary-eyed. He still has it and plays it regularly almost 11 years later. I received a $40 thin white gold band to compliment my grandmother's engagement ring. Perfect trade.

scubadiver

Post by scubadiver » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:21 am

A wedding ring?

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:26 am

DW got half of everything I owned on her wedding day. Plus, she gets half of future earnings as well. I think she got a pretty good deal.

camoaero

Post by camoaero » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:01 pm

fatlittlepig wrote:if this is what you are struggling with, your priorities are whacked.

I'd say if this is the thing I'm struggling with...then I must be doing pretty well otherwise. I understand the consensus is against giving my bride-to-be a gift, but I've already made that decision. Thank you to those who offered suggestions (or displayed an excellent wit....as I can appreciate that as well).....I think I'm leaning towards the pearls.

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:53 am

Dulocracy wrote:
investingdad wrote:Is this a new trend?
No. It is an old tradition that has almost died out. I inherited an antique pearl necklace from my grandmother for the specific purpose of having my wife wear it on our wedding day. I gave my wife a pearl necklace, which she loved.
That is a different tradition I think.

Goes something like this: Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue (or similar, been a long time).

Borrowing some jewelry or or wearing a family heirloom was done within that tradition. Different from a gift from the groom (that in fact was the gift of a family heirloom from grandma, not from you.)
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

SPG8

Post by SPG8 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:17 am

camoaero wrote:I understand the consensus is against giving my bride-to-be a gift, but I've already made that decision.
No sweat. Most of the nays are probably old-timers, well before this was vogue. You're jumping on the bandwagon, with the first of all these newfangled gifts, have at it.

Incidentally, I keep waiting for the current economic climate to engender some anti-consumerism, yet we persevere.