Beef brisket

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
MP173

Beef brisket

Post by MP173 »

I will be smoking beef brisket later this week (purchased 2 pieces both about 8 pounds each).

This was attempted once and it was obviously not smoked long enough (6 hours). Any suggestions for this?

Equipment is a Weber smoker. I will be using charcoal and wood chips.

I have been very successful with Boston Butts over the years. The last ones were smoked 17 hours and were outstanding, so I know the basics. Should I go long and slow just like the pulled pork?

Ed
menlo

Re: Beef brisket

Post by menlo »

In my experience the keys to smoking brisket are reasonably steady temperature over long periods of time (18+ hrs), and getting cuts with plenty of fat on top to melt into the meat (to avoid having the meat end up like shoe leather). If you have the stamina for it, it's best to smoke over night and get up periodically to make sure you have a steady temperature. It's not for the faint of heart.
Jake46

Post by Jake46 »

I agree with everything menlo said. I also use a Weber smoker but use wood chunks instead of chips. They last much longer.
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

An easier, yet still effective method is to BBQ - real BBQ, low and slow at 225 +/- - and smoke for three or four hours, and then pit it in a foil- covered pan in the oven for another 10 hours or so at the same low temp, removing the foil at the end for a bit. Most of the smoke is absorbed in the first couple of hours, so it's not necessary to do all of the cooking on the smoker.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson
Topic Author
MP173

Post by MP173 »

As mentioned in the OP, my last pulled pork (Boston Butt) I smoked for 17 hours, beginning at 3pm and getting up at midnight and 4am (for good).

I have read quite a bit since the OP and low and slow seems to be the ongoing advice. The foil method to get thru "the stall" seems like universal advise also.
Never really understood "the stall" until just reading it. My butts always seemed to hold at 150 degrees for hours and I would panic, but then the temp would move up later.

Ed
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

The stall comes from the rendering of the fat. Basically like ice melting to water is endothermic (absorbs heat) so is melting of fat endothermic. Because BBQ is done at 190 - 200 F, all the heat that goes into the meat during the stall goes to melting fat. Once that is done the meat temp will rise smartly to 190 to 195 and the meat will be done.

I do my pork butts for about 17 hours also. To an internal of 195, then wrap in foil and place in cooler for 2 hours.

Have never done brisket but have heard it is easy to dry out.
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

MP173 wrote:I will be smoking beef brisket later this week (purchased 2 pieces both about 8 pounds each).

This was attempted once and it was obviously not smoked long enough (6 hours). Any suggestions for this?

Equipment is a Weber smoker. I will be using charcoal and wood chips.

I have been very successful with Boston Butts over the years. The last ones were smoked 17 hours and were outstanding, so I know the basics. Should I go long and slow just like the pulled pork?

Ed

I may be eternally flamed on this board for saying this.....

But here goes:

Smoke the brisket in your weber for a few hours (whatever is convenient), then throw it in the oven at 200 - 225 for the remaining 12 hours or so. All told you'll need a solid 16 hours so don't rush it.

The reality is that weber is going to be a pain to do it the right way because temp management in a weber will be no fun for 16 hours. No fun at all. Just accept it. Use the oven and it'll be awesome and you'll be a hero with no one the wiser. Just consider wrapping in foil and adding one beer plus one teaspoon to the tray for moisture around hour 8 or 10. Beer is optional though if you have any left over you should kj ow what to do with it.

Freeport back.
Rager1

Post by Rager1 »

The best resource I've found for all sorts of smoking and cooking is amazingribs.com. It's run by a guy called Meathead. He not only shares his recipes but he explains the science behind the cooking. You can spend hours on this website.

Here's his recipe for beef brisket. http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef ... isket.html I've tried it and it works well.

Enjoy

Ed
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

I personally find that many factors play into a properly prepared brisket. Outside temp and humidity play an import part in the equation. I use a water smoker that keeps much moisture in the smoker, and keeps the meet from drying out. At 200 degrees, a 8 pound trimmed brisket would require about 12 hours at outside ambient temp of 80 degrees. That goes up to 16 hour with the ambient temp of 60 degrees, and over 20 hour with lower temps. I won't smoke in temp below 40 degrees. I use chunks of water logged oak for my briskets, but hickory works fine also. You have to be patient with brisket, and the low and slow method turns out brisket that melts in your mouth with favor. I also have found that brine on a beef brisket is a mistake. I use dry pepper rubs for my flavor enhancement. With a water smoker, you can use many types of liquid in the pan to add flavor. I love beer with brisket, or have even used whiskey and water.
Seven up with chicken, or turkey etc. etc. If the brisket is getting cooked to much on the ends, tent the ends with foil. It's clearly not a exact science, but everyone has to kind of discover the secrets of perfect beef brisket on their own. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
Topic Author
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Amazingribs is a great resource. Have been on it this afternoon.

I believe he mentioned taking it off the smoker and possibly putting it in the oven (after wrapping in foil). That make work well, because I will also be smoking butt and the temp management with both brisket and butts at the same time might be a little too much for me to handle.

So, my tentative plan is:
1. Start the brisket and push until it stalls at 150 degrees.
2. Remove and place in a pan and wrap with foil.
3. Slow in the oven until 200 degrees.
4. Cool down in a cooler for a couple of hours.
5. Slice and dice.
6. Warm up the next day in a crock pot.

While I would like to have it ready on Saturday, that might be a little difficult. It is my son's high school graduation open house and things will be happening around here that will be out of control.

Already have the 4 butts smoked, pulled and frozen and will bring them to temp in crock pots. This method has been used in the past and it works fairly well. Not perfect, but not bad.

Keep suggestions coming please.

Ed
bb

Post by bb »

http://virtualweberbullet.com/

bogleheads and this site best of the best IMHO
hsfan92

Post by hsfan92 »

Rager1 wrote:The best resource I've found for all sorts of smoking and cooking is amazingribs.com. It's run by a guy called Meathead. He not only shares his recipes but he explains the science behind the cooking. You can spend hours on this website.

Here's his recipe for beef brisket. http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef ... isket.html I've tried it and it works well.

Enjoy

Ed

I concur. This site is very good. I used it when I smoked brisket for the first time and it turned out very well.
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

I also recommend The Virtual Weber Bullet. If you're using a Weber Smokey Mountain (my choice) then you can have great success controlling temperature for long periods with the Minion[1] Method:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html

I prefer lump charcoal myself, but that's not necessary.

1. No, it doesn't mean frightened assistants running around, it's named for the inventor.

Brian
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

Default User BR wrote:I also recommend The Virtual Weber Bullet. If you're using a Weber Smokey Mountain (my choice) then you can have great success controlling temperature for long periods with the Minion[1] Method:
Interesting. I use the Minion method with my Kamado ceramic cooker but did not even know I was doing so. For low and slow I always fill the firepit with lump charcoal then start a chimney 1/4 full of charcoal and throw it on top. For overnight cooks I also use my BBQ Guru. Got tired of waking up in the middle of the night to check the smoker.

http://www.thebbqguru.com/
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

bb wrote:http://virtualweberbullet.com/

bogleheads and this site best of the best IMHO
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Brinkmann-Go ... b8EINiQuho

I love my Brinkmann smoker for $79 at Home Depot.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
mhc

Post by mhc »

I would recommend using a whole packer (12-15 lbs, point and flat together). Sounds like you are using flats only or very small packers.

1. Trim off the fat and season.
2. Cook in disposable aluminum pan @ 225-250F. Higher temperatures causes more cellular damage and results in dryer meat.
3. Leave uncovered for 8-10 hours.
4. Add a little liquid (water, beef broth, apple juice) and cover.
5. The brisket is done when you slide in a meat probe and it feels like it's going into butter.
6. Remove and set in a cooler or un-heated oven for at least 1 hour to let the meat rest.
7. Remove the point from the flat and slice.

At about 160F, the connective tissue starts converting to gelatin. This conversion is what causes the temperature to stall. This transformation occurs when there is moist heat (braising). This is what gives BBQ and pot roasts their special texture/flavor. The brisket will be done around 195-210F. The key is that there is no resistance when inserting the probe. The temperature really does not matter so much.
swaption

Post by swaption »

mhc wrote:I would recommend using a whole packer (12-15 lbs, point and flat together). Sounds like you are using flats only or very small packers.

1. Trim off the fat and season.
2. Cook in disposable aluminum pan @ 225-250F. Higher temperatures causes more cellular damage and results in dryer meat.
3. Leave uncovered for 8-10 hours.
4. Add a little liquid (water, beef broth, apple juice) and cover.
5. The brisket is done when you slide in a meat probe and it feels like it's going into butter.
6. Remove and set in a cooler or un-heated oven for at least 1 hour to let the meat rest.
7. Remove the point from the flat and slice.

At about 160F, the connective tissue starts converting to gelatin. This conversion is what causes the temperature to stall. This transformation occurs when there is moist heat (braising). This is what gives BBQ and pot roasts their special texture/flavor. The brisket will be done around 195-210F. The key is that there is no resistance when inserting the probe. The temperature really does not matter so much.
Nicely said. Have actually seen the temp reverse 15 degrees during a cook. I have pretty much resigned myself to foiling brisket. Strongly agree on the full packer cut. Recently discovered that Costco will go off the board and sell for a reasonable price, but you have to speak to the right people. Also, defintely err on the side of leaving too much time. No problem leaving the finished product wrapped in foil for up to several hours in a cooler, but if you run out of time with guests coming over, then you have a real issue.

I am partial to my Cookshack smoker and to their outstanding forum:

http://forum.cookshack.com/eve/forums

You can scroll down and find the Brisket forum. I recently did the Incredible Brisket Recipe stuck at the top. All good but made the aforementioned mistake of taking out early.
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

I've cooked 100's of briskets and my advise for beginners is to:

-use chunks not chips (I personally prefer a 100% wood-burning offset smoker, but the WSMs are liked by many)
-season with coarse black pepper and kosher salt
-cook hot and fast (275-325F)
-if you are going to wrap the brisket, do it at ~160-170F
-pull the brisket when it probes like butter in the flat (there is no set temp for this, but it will typically be between 190-205F)
-let the brisket rest for at least 2 hours before slicing

Here is a good resource:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/
Topic Author
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Well, today is the day for the brisket and butt.

Prep:
2 - 8 pound briskets from Costco. Removed from refrigerator 630am and brought to room temp. Applied mustard and then a rub, as described by amazingribs.com.

Two briskets were placed in the Weber bullet smoker at 735am. Temp of the smoker was 300 degrees (too hot), but it was due to getting the smoker up and running. Tamped down the vents.

920am - Meat @ 140 degrees, smoker temp @ 240 degrees, outside temp 76 degrees. Added 6 charcoals and closed vents more.
1030am - m @ 154, smoker @ 220, outside @ 82. Waiting for "the stall".

Ed
Topic Author
MP173

Post by MP173 »

1130 - meat @ 156, smoker has two readings...205 degrees thru top thermometer and 240 on inside on top grill.

I am a little concerned...don't know if 156 after four hours is too fast. Also, with two different readings 205 and 240, I am puzzled. Checked the charcoal and it seems to be nearly all burned. OOPS....too hot perhaps. Threw a few charcoals on and closed the vents a bit. Next check is at 1230. Planning on wrapping in foil.

Not sure if I will leave on the smoker or place in oven, where I can control the temp.

Suggestions?

Ed
swaption

Post by swaption »

MP173 wrote:1130 - meat @ 156, smoker has two readings...205 degrees thru top thermometer and 240 on inside on top grill.

I am a little concerned...don't know if 156 after four hours is too fast. Also, with two different readings 205 and 240, I am puzzled. Checked the charcoal and it seems to be nearly all burned. OOPS....too hot perhaps. Threw a few charcoals on and closed the vents a bit. Next check is at 1230. Planning on wrapping in foil.

Not sure if I will leave on the smoker or place in oven, where I can control the temp.

Suggestions?

Ed
I'm not the most seasoned brisket guy, but my experience is that temps can get up there quick, and then stall or reverse for a long time. I'd be patient. Even though I go electric now, I started with that Weber. As long as you have fuel in there, you should be able to control the heat well enough with the vents. Also, you should to let the coals fire up for a while until the black is burned off before adding. You checking the water level? I'd say stick with the smoker if you're this far in.

Perhaps now is a good time to appreciate the merits of an electric smoker. Just turn the dial to the right temp. You could be off playing golf right now.
Default User BR

Are you using the pan? What's in it?

Brian
Topic Author
MP173

Post by MP173 »

No, I wouldn't be better off playing golf.

At 1230 the meat was at 158 and the smoker was at 180 on the outside thermometer and 220 inside. The temps seem to be under control. I added a few bricquets off of my grill (already white) and wood chips. My plan at 130 is to foil wrap. At current time the meat is at 159 so it has really slowed down.

I am spritzing with apple juice.

Pan has water.

Ed
Default User BR

Water should stabilize temps, sometimes too much for people who want to run hotter.

With brisket, patience is a virtue. Resist fiddling with things, especially things that remove the top. Many like the Minion Method because you don't need to add charcoal often, if at all.

Good luck.

Brian
Topic Author
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Thanks Brian and others...

It is half time. At 145pm (after 6.25 hours) I removed both briskets and wrapped in alum foil, adding a little apple juice and beef broth to the briskets. Meanwhile, I added fluid to the pan...it was nearly dry. I added a mixture of 75% water, 20% apple juice and 5% broth...don't ask me why, I am feeling the creativeness today.

Nibbled on a few burned ends...really good flavor.

Probed the thermometer thru the foil and resumed, adding 3 chicken breasts to the top grill. My plans are to let it roll for at least 3 hours without disturbing. The probe showed a meat temp of 155, so it cooled off just a bit.

Just curious, should I target a temp of about 200 degrees?

Wrap it in blankets and place in a cooler for a couple of hours?

Thanks,

Ed
swaption

Post by swaption »

I might just have to visit my local Costco. I'm assuming based on your progress that this is a full packer cut.

I would think 200 is about right, but inclined to defer to Brian on that.

No problem wrapping. I use heavy duty foil and newspaper in a cooler. I'm optimistic for your results.
Topic Author
MP173

Post by MP173 »

I don't think it is a full packer, but the two are each about 8 pounds. This is my second time with brisket and the first was shoe leather tough. This one is proceeding nicely and I will advise later when the testing is done!

I will follow that with 2 butts overnight.

Anyone have an idea of how to remove ash from the Weber Bullet without complete disassembling?
Ed
Default User BR

200F is right in the ballpark. Most hard-core guys only use temp as guideline, it's the fork test that's the final. The fork should slide in easily (some like to be able to twist it).

For emptying ash from a WSM, it doesn't have the bottom openings like kettle. Once it's cooled down, the middle barrel part and top part should lift off the small bottom section. Unless they've changed design since I got mine.

Brian
Topic Author
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Long day.

Took the briskets off at 530pm (10hr) and placed in the oven at 225degrees for another 2 hours. The internal temp at that point was 190. Then placed the briskets in a cooler, wrapped in a towel until 1030 and then to the frig. We will serve on Saturday and the plan is to slow roast for a couple of hours on Saturday. Any suggestions ... is there a better way.

At 530 I put 2 pork butts on the smoker and at 1030 the internal temp was 147 and the smoker was holding steady at 225 degrees. Seems like I found the magic settings for 225. Will try to sleep until 4am and then check on the status.

Thanks for all suggestions.
Ed
graveday

Post by graveday »

Brisket separates the men from the boys. I'm still a boy, but learning. Also, I'm still just braising for four to five hours, stovetop or in the oven. Smoking is way up the learning curve.
Local co-op had some small pieces of brisket, like chauteaubriand size. I joked with the butcher they were way too small for all the effort of brisket. He agreed.
I love brisket, but came to it late in life after learning it was a favorite with a favorite uncle. He didn't share I guess.
Default User BR

A somewhat easier beef Q is a nice thick chuck roast (or two or three!). It doesn't take as long as brisket by a long shot, and the result is very good.

Brian
Topic Author
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Smoked the butt all night. Was up at 4am and the smoker was down to 175 degrees with little hope of getting it going again as the charcoals were pretty much burned out. Transferred to the oven and at 8am it is at 172. Going to target about 180-185.

Anyone have suggestions for BBQ sauce? I have never made it, use commercial sauce, but feel like making some today. What would work well with brisket?

Ed
mhc

Post by mhc »

MP173 wrote:Smoked the butt all night. Was up at 4am and the smoker was down to 175 degrees with little hope of getting it going again as the charcoals were pretty much burned out. Transferred to the oven and at 8am it is at 172. Going to target about 180-185.

Anyone have suggestions for BBQ sauce? I have never made it, use commercial sauce, but feel like making some today. What would work well with brisket?

Ed
180-185 is too low for a butt. The butt is done when the bone slides right out and is clean. Probably closer to 205. Butts are very forgiving because of the high fat content.

I use bear claws to pull the pork. Search for them on Amazon if you don't have a pair. They also make great gifts.
swaption

Post by swaption »

Agree that 180 - 185 is too low. I usually target about 195. I did once overcook, so try to avoid that. Rarely screw up a pork butt. As mentioned, the high fat content is your friend on this one. I do a very simple vinegar based sauce and don't use a lot. Really don't want to drown out the flavor, but hot sauce is a must.
mhc

Post by mhc »

I forgot to answer your sauce question. If you are doing this cook for a bunch of casual BBQ eaters, then here is the sure fire winner assuming your not in the Carolinas where people want vinegar.

Get a few squirt bottles. They sell them at Walmart for about $1 a piece. Get some regular Kraft BBQ sauce (it is to BBQ what Heinz is to ketchup). Make one version cut with some apple cider vinegar to thin it out a bit. Do that with another bottle but add something spicy like choptle powder or cayenne. You can also take the liquid off of the brisket or butts and let it cool. Remove the fat off the top and what is left is a really nice gelatin. This gelatin can be heated and used as a sauce or part of a sauce. After I pull the pork I usually add a little of the gelatin back in.

Believe it or not, most people really like Kraft BBQ sauce just like they like Heinz ketchup. It has really good broad appeal.
bourg

Post by bourg »

I agree with the people who said smoke it for a few hours then transfer to the oven wrapped in foil. A brisket will only take on smoke for the first 8 hours or - anything beyond that won't add to the flavor. So after you get the 8 hours of smoke the most important part is not drying it out. That's much easier to control in foil in the oven.

I cook on smoker and in oven @ 225 degrees. I cook to an internal temp of 195 degrees. Crazy tender and the foil method keeps it nice and juicy.

*Another tip* Cook in the smoker fat side DOWN to protect the meat. I also put a pound of super thick cut bacon on TOP of the brisket to protect the top non-fat side. Works like a charm and makes for some really good smoked bacon to eat once you wrap the brisket in foil and move the it to the oven. :)
Topic Author
MP173

Post by MP173 »

The butt is pretty tasty. It is cooling down from the 185 level and we will place it in a crock pot tomorrow, so it will cook more. I am really satisfied with the butt flavor. I have done this about 20 times and my wife pronounced "your best ever". I used no vinegar mop sauce this time, only spritzing with apple juice. Also put the butt in the oven with foil That seemed to do the trick.

We will see about the brisket tomorrow when we warm it back up. It should be good...but the reheating sort of concerns me.

Now, if anyone is in Northwest Indiana tomorrow and wants to stop by for a sample, let me know. The party begins at 2pm.

Ed
swaption

Post by swaption »

I'm inspired. Will be off to Costco tomorrow. I will slay the brisket beast. Did you inject? Never done that before. Starts to feel like a science experiment, but I guess many in the know go that route. Also curious how it is to reheat. Would like to entertain for a crowd, but I have smoker capacity issues.

Any of you Weber folks use the Renowned Mr. Brown recipe for pork butt? Featured prominently on the Weber smoker site. It's the only way I will make pork butt. Just really good.
Default User BR

swaption wrote:Any of you Weber folks use the Renowned Mr. Brown recipe for pork butt?
Ha ha. "Mr. Brown and Miss White". I remember reading that in the Smoke and Spice book by the Jamisons. I recommend reading that.

Brian
swaption

Post by swaption »

Default User BR wrote:
swaption wrote:Any of you Weber folks use the Renowned Mr. Brown recipe for pork butt?
Ha ha. "Mr. Brown and Miss White". I remember reading that in the Smoke and Spice book by the Jamisons. I recommend reading that.

Brian
Yup, was my first cookbook.
Topic Author
MP173

Post by MP173 »

I did inject with beef broth. Didn't use the pulled pork recipe.

Everything was good. I was satisfied and the guests were happy. This isn't a big beef brisket area (NW Indiana) but people really liked it. The pulled pork seemed to be the bigger hit, which was expected. Provided a vinegar mop sauce, a homemade Texas sauce, and commercial (Famous Daves).

The foil method worked great. Rewarmed the brisket Saturday morning...245 oven temp for 2 hours, then allowed it to cool and slice.

thanks to all for the help,suggesitons, and tips.

Ed
boglebill

Post by boglebill »

Late to the party ...

I try to disrupt things as little as possible.
Also I monitor temps, extreme changes is bad.
Ideally smoker is 205-220
As long as smoker is right temp, I don't worry about the meat when it stalls, just roll with it.
Brisket needs to hit a higher temp so all the connective tissues liquify.
Igglesman

Post by Igglesman »

So stay tuned for a new barbeque show coming to Food Network in August. I was in the sun yesterday from 10AM to nearly 4PM for the promise of barbeque...we just had to be the extras in the background as they filmed some of the show.

Can't say much other than you have to watch it when it premieres August 4th. Lets just say there is a lot you can do with old antique cars other than just drive them.

BTW, the brisket, ribs, pulled pork, chicken, etc. were all worth the wait.
NOLA

Post by NOLA »

Really enjoyed this thread. Got me motivated and glad that it worked out well.
Texashorns

Post by Texashorns »

Franklin's bar-b-que in Austin Texas makes award winning Texas beef brisket. If interested, Franklin's beef brisket recipe is at www.texasmonthly.com/story/smoked-brisket. We fixed a smoked beef brisket yesterday on an electric smoker with oak chips. Electric works great so you keep the meat under constant temperature. Smoke 6 hours at 225 degrees. Then wrap in foil and put in an empty ice chest (not styro) and leave it in the cooler until ready to eat. We put the brisket on at 7 am and took off at 1 pm then left in the empty cooler until 5 pm. It continues to cook itself in the wrapping in the chest. Critical that it be sliced against the grain. There are videos on YouTube showing how to slice a brisket.
swaption

Post by swaption »

Funny, just checking back. A brisket in the smoker hitting 198 right about now. Following the amazing ribs recipe, injecting marinade and foiling. Started just after midnight. I'm excited.
Default User BR

Did up a pork butt yesterday. A little rub, a little smoke, a whole lot of meat!

Brian
graveday

Post by graveday »

swaption wrote:Funny, just checking back. A brisket in the smoker hitting 198 right about now. Following the amazing ribs recipe, injecting marinade and foiling. Started just after midnight. I'm excited.
Of course you will check back with how it went?
swaption

Post by swaption »

graveday wrote:
swaption wrote:Funny, just checking back. A brisket in the smoker hitting 198 right about now. Following the amazing ribs recipe, injecting marinade and foiling. Started just after midnight. I'm excited.
Of course you will check back with how it went?
Of course! Warned my guests ahead of time. Had a smoker for many years and have nailed ribs, pulled pork, etc. But yet to get a brisket just right. Well that changed! It was just really good, moist, with a nice peppery bite. I chopped up a portion at the edges and mixed with sauce for burnt ends (sort of since some say to smoke this some more). The brisket didn't even really need sauce.

I got a smallish 8+ lb packer at Costco, which is great since here in the northeast people look at you funny when you ask for it. Rubbed in afternoon, put in fridge, removed at 11 pm and rubbed some more. Injected beef broth and into the smoker at 225 just past midnight. When I awoke, the meat was hitting 165, so I wrapped with foil and some more beef broth (recipe says at 150). By late morning it got to 185, a little concerned it was moving too fast. All good as I removed at 198 around 6 pm. Not a short cook. The combination of this recipe and the availability of packer cuts at Costco is a very nice development. My Cookshack electric smoker also helps quite a bit, particularly for things like pulled pork and brisket where the process can take a while.
graveday

Post by graveday »

Congratulations, Swaption. The local coop had some small cuts of brisket and I was joking with the butcher about who would go to all the trouble brisket takes for such a small payoff. Eight pounds sounds great.
I may have to do sixteen for a family feed and that will require some test runs. Brisket is a demanding mistress.