Repair or replace dishwasher?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
TSR

Repair or replace dishwasher?

Post by TSR »

Hey folks, my dishwasher just pooped out on me. It was a Frigidaire professional series with a list price of around $750 -- came used with the house and frankly I have no idea how old it is (6 yrs?). It still "runs," but it basically doesn't "clean." It won't even wash away half of the soap at the bottom of the machine, it leaves dishes visibly dirty, and it leaves horrendous amounts of streaks on everything. So, repair or replace?

Repair: I have no idea what is wrong with it. Would you call the official service number on the machine, or would you look for someone local? How much is something like this likely to cost?

Replace: Are there preferred stores? Would you pay for the delivery/haul-off? (I'm not particularly handy.) Replace with what? (Money is a little tight these days, so I'd prefer the perfect Boglehead combo of value/quality -- it doesn't need to be dirt-cheap, but it doesn't need to be fancy either.)

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!
harrychan

Re: Repair or replace dishwasher?

Post by harrychan »

Sounds like you need a better dish washing soap. Perhaps try that first?
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Could it be not enough water getting to the dishes? Either a defective water valve on the DW, or plugged holes in the rotating arms? Do you have hard water? Maybe that might plug up some holes.

Generally local appliance shops are less expensive than the manufacturer. The one potential advantage to using the manufacturer's repair tech is sometimes they will let you apply the cost of the service call to the price of a new DW if you need one
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

It sounds 85% like you have a clogged water line.

See where the water comes into the dishwasher. Usually under the dishwasher with a flexible hose. Turn off the water, and disconnect the hose. At the part the water enters the dishwasher there is usually a little plastic box. Somewhere in that box is a filter that looks like the filter on your faucet aerator. It probably does not look like that because it is probably filthy. First time I did this I was looking right at the filter and could not figure out how water got through that solid black thing, and could not figure out where the filter was. Clean that thing out, and see if the dishwasher starts working again.
Watty

Post by Watty »

The model number is likely on a label inside the door of the dishwasher. It may also have the date of manufacture on the same label so you could get an idea how old it is.

You can likely get a PDF of the owner's manual for that model on the manufactures web site. Look in that for suggestions and also to see if the dishwasher has any filters that you might not be cleaning. You can also Google the model number and various words like "not clean" and you will likely find posts on other message boards with suggestions.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

We have had consistently good luck just insisting on getting things repaired. We had our three-or-four-year-old GE dishwasher that cost $1,000 repaired; the final bill was something under $300 and--I could be truthful but dishonest and say it works better than new, but in fact it never really worked right from day one. Must have been something wrong with it but we didn't know so weren't assertive and didn't get it fixed while still under warranty. The repair was about three years ago. Definitely better than buying a new dishwasher.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

Before anything else, try one of the techniques for removing detergent buildup. There's a product called Lemi shine that is just crystallized citric acid. You can also try white vinegar in the rinse dispenser. I was having similar problems to you, and the Lemi Shine helped tremendously.

It's worth a few bucks to experiment.

Brian
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

Saving$ wrote:It sounds 85% like you have a clogged water line.

See where the water comes into the dishwasher. Usually under the dishwasher with a flexible hose. Turn off the water, and disconnect the hose. At the part the water enters the dishwasher there is usually a little plastic box. Somewhere in that box is a filter that looks like the filter on your faucet aerator. It probably does not look like that because it is probably filthy. First time I did this I was looking right at the filter and could not figure out how water got through that solid black thing, and could not figure out where the filter was. Clean that thing out, and see if the dishwasher starts working again.
Definitely could be this, but only likely if you have sediment laden hard water since only clean water supply runs through that filter.

As far as repair vs. replace...you're probably looking at less cost to repair...but that's just an assumption considering we don't know exactly what the problem is. Usually repair is cheaper than replace though.

Best of luck!
Oilburner

Post by Oilburner »

Can you determine if it is filling? If you can trip the door switch you can turn it on and see if it will begin filling. If you can't access the switch by pushing in on the latch, using a screwdriver, simply see if there is adequate water in the dishwasher after it fills (open the door while it is washing). If it does not fill, the most likely culprit is a failed, or stuck, water solinoid. This is the electric "valve" that turns the water on and off the to fill the dishwasher. They can get stuck due to water salts over the years, or can develop an electrical short. They are inexpensive too. Possibly $20 - $40. If you are inclined, they are not hard to replace. You should get a general appliance repair "how to" book, or look on the internet, before attempting this. Always turn off the power to the dishwasher at the breaker panel and verify it is off and turn off the water to the dishwasher before attempting repair. The dishwasher should simply slide out from under the counter after removing a couple of securing screws. The solinoid will be right where the water line connects to the dishwasher.

Another problem area is the float switch. This turns off the water when it reaches the proper level. If it has failed, it can cut off the water too soon or not allow any water in. It can be tested easily by using an ohm meter (about $30 at Home Depot) and observing the water flow what you raise and lower the float (the door switch must be bypassed).

Also see if crud is blocking the spray arms. I had one once where bits of plastic clogged them. I have read of accounts of the hot water heater plastic dip tubes disintegrating and the bits of plastic can clog things.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

I don't know about Frigidaire, but my last two GEs had air gaps on the outside right where the water enters the DW. If the entry hole gets partially plugged water will overflow the air gap, run down the side of the DW, and drip onto the floor. If the DW is sitting on a wooden floor this could damage the floor over time. I speak from experience. Remove the kick plate at the bottom of the DW and check for drips with a flashlight when it is filling. Also check the floor underneath for possible rot.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Topic Author
TSR

Post by TSR »

All of the advice here is amazing. (Sorry I'm just now replying -- it didn't notify me that folks were replying.) I can hear the water filling up, but I haven't checked to see if it is doing so adequately. I'll check the gunk on the spray arms as well. I'll also check out the Lemi shine product. The consensus I seem to be getting is that regardless of whether I do it myself or pay someone to look at it, it is likely much better to try to fix something like this than just assume it's forever broken. Thanks again, folks.
jwtietz

Post by jwtietz »

I have had issues with my DW at time and found http://www.partselect.com/ helpful. I wound up replacing the whole pump/internal mechanism for around $120. It seemed easier than replacing each part and possibly missing the problem. They do have a good diagnostic on the site. I had issues with the chopper and the screen that would not work, then the dishes would be dirty. Turned out to be the rubber drive to the chopper, yours might need to be just cleaned, but most need replacement.
BC_Doc

Post by BC_Doc »

jwtietz wrote:I have had issues with my DW at time and found http://www.partselect.com/ helpful. I wound up replacing the whole pump/internal mechanism for around $120. It seemed easier than replacing each part and possibly missing the problem. They do have a good diagnostic on the site. I had issues with the chopper and the screen that would not work, then the dishes would be dirty. Turned out to be the rubber drive to the chopper, yours might need to be just cleaned, but most need replacement.
Yup-- I would clean out the food chopper and filters first. Easy to do-- just look up on YouTube. Mine used to block all the time-- cleaning it out much improved the dishwasher.
rotorhead

Post by rotorhead »

I agree that it's likely the fill line filter has clogged. Even though it's clean "drinking water" that fills the dishwasher, it's amazing what still gets through the system. However, if the machine is filling it likely could be the drain pump is failing. Take a look at the website: http://www.appliancepartspros.com/. There's a wealth of information there, plus you can order parts if necessary to do the repair.