Do you tip on take out?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
linguini

Re: Do you tip on take out?

Post by linguini » Sun May 26, 2013 6:01 pm

Personally, I don't feel resentful over giving up a few dollars, regardless of whether or not the recipient "deserves" the money. I enjoy giving large tips because I already have enough money for myself and I enjoy doing little things that make other people happy, so handing over a little bit extra to the server/host/preparer provides more enjoyment to the both of us than it does for me to keep it for myself. So, yeah, I guess "emotional/psychological self gratification for the tipper" would fit, though I would say that more than that, I see it as fitting in line with the imperative of treating others with kindness. I understand why some people are reluctant to tip: it's their money, and there is a set transaction that has a built in price and no additional work so the tip really is basically giving something for nothing. However, I don't really understand why tipping people for small amounts of work is perplexing.

I try to tip some on most types of prepared foods where they provide a tip jar or a tip line on the credit card receipt. I usually either round up to the nearest dollar or one or two dollars above that, depending on what I'm ordering and my familiarity with the person I'm ordering from and the quality of service. I directly give a dollar or two at the register at some places where I know the workers work hard for very limited amounts of money (eg, cart food and low-cost Chinese takeout), and they are always very appreciative, which is absolutely worth a dollar to me. For sit-down restaurants where I'm picking up takeout, I will generally tip about 10% when I pick up my food in person, and usually 20% to 25% at restaurants and for delivery, sometimes up to a third or so for exceptional service. I would care more about saving a few dollars here and there if I weren't financially well situated. I do include fast food in this arrangement; I tip at Subway, ice cream places, pizza places, chinese takeout places, and food carts, for example. I do not tip at convenience stores or delis or supermarkets or some fast food places because they don't provide a mechanism for tipping and often have policies against employees accepting tips, but I do not have any financial or philosophical objection to tipping employees at these venues. For example, I have given five bucks to a grocery bagger a few times, but I think it's usually against supermarket policies so I don't do it too often.

Like some other bogleheads, the idea of forcing people to depend on tips discomfits me, but I don't feel cheated by it or anything. I get a varying yearly bonus over my base salary which I expect to receive as a portion of my compensation, and I don't see tipping as categorically different. The problem I have with tipping isn't that customers are expected to tip, but that so many employees have to depend on tips to make a decent amount of money for their work. I feel sympathetic toward those who depend on the generosity of strangers instead of having a stable salary, especially because restaurant workers frequently don't receive insurance or retirement benefits.

gnosis

Post by gnosis » Sun May 26, 2013 9:33 pm

They should tip me for driving all the way over there and smiling as I pay for my order. How do you like them apples?

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes » Sun May 26, 2013 11:14 pm

jimmy wrote:Just wondering what everybody else does here. Do you tip when you order take out? If so how much and what is your general tipping rule for take out?

Jimmy - are you nuts?

What service are you tipping for at a take out joint? NO. Otherwise plan to tip at the grocery store, gas station, drug store, etc. What is the difference?
Truth and clarity are important in all things...

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow » Mon May 27, 2013 11:13 am

mike143 wrote:My new default for sit down is 15% before tax then rounded up to the next dollar.
This is the same for me as well. I used to tip 20+%, but found the service never really changed and occasionally I would get a jerk.
mike143 wrote:I did some pizza delivery in my day, we were paid just under $4 an hour and the rest in direct tips. I loved going to the furthest distance we would travel, pull up to a $500k home with a $200k car sitting in the garage and getting a $1 tip.
You gotta be kidding me... who parks a $200k car in a $500k house? What car was it?

Harold

Post by Harold » Mon May 27, 2013 11:56 am

dbcoop wrote:Emotional/psychological self gratification for the tipper
This is the answer (along with the ability of merchants to impose a feeling of shame and obligation on the customer). People feel like they've done good once they have tipped -- gives them a small glow.

And an astute observation I picked up from the brilliantly insightful, and long lost, Opponent Process -- the tipping process allows ordinary schmucks at least momentarily to feel like lords of their domain allocating their largesse to those who serve them in a pleasing way (or denying it to those who displease them).

About a concern I saw raised earlier in the thread, I'll point out as someone who tips 0% for pickup (and 20% for sitdown) that it has absolutely no effect on the service I receive. I regularly pick up at many restaurants whose staff know me and cheerfully greet me with outstanding service. I am quite pleased that they are professionals and that I don't have to bribe them to fake liking me.

mike143

Post by mike143 » Mon May 27, 2013 11:57 am

StormShadow wrote:
mike143 wrote:
mike143 wrote:I did some pizza delivery in my day, we were paid just under $4 an hour and the rest in direct tips. I loved going to the furthest distance we would travel, pull up to a $500k home with a $200k car sitting in the garage and getting a $1 tip.
You gotta be kidding me... who parks a $200k car in a $500k house? What car was it?
It was a new Ferrari don't know the model. In the neighborhood below, this is now, at the time it was peaking.

Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.

archbish99

Post by archbish99 » Mon May 27, 2013 11:57 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:No way. Pretty soon, tipping will be expected for everything, that is just ridiculous.
Do you tip your supermarket deli counter clerk? Do you tip your supermarket cashier as well? How about the baggers? :oops:
I certainly don't, but I've seen some of these "how much should I tip ______?" articles that actually do specify a grocery bagger tip. I'm sure it happens (and may even be expected) in some of the fancy high-end grocery stores. It feels semi-reasonable if they walk the groceries out to your car and load them up for you, but I hardly ever see them do that, and I've never needed it.
I'm not a financial advisor, I just play one on the Internet.

steadyeddy

Post by steadyeddy » Mon May 27, 2013 12:14 pm

Harold wrote:
dbcoop wrote:Emotional/psychological self gratification for the tipper
This is the answer (along with the ability of merchants to impose a feeling of shame and obligation on the customer). People feel like they've done good once they have tipped -- gives them a small glow.

And an astute observation I picked up from the brilliantly insightful, and long lost, Opponent Process -- the tipping process allows ordinary schmucks at least momentarily to feel like lords of their domain allocating their largesse to those who serve them in a pleasing way (or denying it to those who displease them).

About a concern I saw raised earlier in the thread, I'll point out as someone who tips 0% for pickup (and 20% for sitdown) that it has absolutely no effect on the service I receive. I regularly pick up at many restaurants whose staff know me and cheerfully greet me with outstanding service. I am quite pleased that they are professionals and that I don't have to bribe them to fake liking me.

That about sums it up for me, but I'm not ashamed of it. A little voluntary wealth distribution to the peasants is good for my soul! :wink: :twisted:

Jfet

Post by Jfet » Mon May 27, 2013 12:28 pm

I sometimes toss a few dollars onto a bill if I am at one of my favorite places. This is mostly for non-chain mom and pop type take out where I want them to stay in business. I wouldn't think of tipping at, say Mcdonalds...

Van

Post by Van » Mon May 27, 2013 4:02 pm

Never.

linguini

Post by linguini » Mon May 27, 2013 6:44 pm

steadyeddy wrote:That about sums it up for me, but I'm not ashamed of it. A little voluntary wealth distribution to the peasants is good for my soul! :wink: :twisted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IknswT779p8 :mrgreen:

jupiter_man

Post by jupiter_man » Mon May 27, 2013 9:33 pm

Takeout - 10% or $1/person whichever is more.

HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker » Tue May 28, 2013 6:49 am

I always tip the Home Depot employee after they tell me what aisle the plumbing parts are in.

I also tip the cashier. If I go through the automated checkout I go over to the service desk and tip the person there.

If I go to the contractor desk (where are the shingles?) I tip the guy for telling me. One time the shingles were way up on the top and he got a forklift to bring a pallet down so I could get some. I gave him a tip.

Usually $5 each.

All told my tips for a trip to Home Depot usually run $15 total or so for a visit.

On the way home from HD I got some gas. I tipped the attendant another $5.

When I got home my wife made me a sandwich. I tipped her $5.
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Tue May 28, 2013 7:07 am

Haha, great reply. Missing a few commas, but I loved it.

Tipping is very overrated. It is, in a sense, a bribe to guarantee good service at the present times and in future times. If people do not tip, they are afraid that something may happen. Kind of a fear really.

If I ever own a restaurant, I will have a big sign near the front saying something along the lines of "Tipping is unneeded. Your service will remain the same. All workers get paid a fair salary. Any received tips will go to the Salvation Army. All prices listed include any local and state taxes. What you see is what you pay."

rokidtoo

Post by rokidtoo » Wed May 29, 2013 6:54 am

Yes. People that work in restaurants or deliver food don't make much money. In addition, the fact that they really seem to appreciate the extra money, makes me feel good to give it. :D

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Wed May 29, 2013 8:14 am

Take out? Never.

Pizza Delivery? Usually a $5 bill, unless it's late (by 15 minutes or more), then $3. I don't take into account whether I'm getting one pizza or 6 pizzas. It's the same distance to my house and the hardship of carrying a few extra pizzas is small.

jayars35

Post by jayars35 » Wed May 29, 2013 8:42 pm

Take out, no.

If a clerk took it upon himself to put my change in a tip jar, I would tell him to get my money out of the tip jar and call the manager to the counter.

Pizza delivery, yes.

When I pay a bill at a sit down restaurant and the waitress asks "Do you want your change?", the result is a lower tip with an explanation of why on the ticket.

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Wed May 29, 2013 10:12 pm

jayars35 wrote:Take out, no.

If a clerk took it upon himself to put my change in a tip jar, I would tell him to get my money out of the tip jar and call the manager to the counter.

Pizza delivery, yes.

When I pay a bill at a sit down restaurant and the waitress asks "Do you want your change?", the result is a lower tip with an explanation of why on the ticket.
Credit cards with cash back options are your friend.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

Iorek

Post by Iorek » Wed May 29, 2013 10:29 pm

If it's a place that predominantly does take out, then I don't, but if it's a place that predominantly does sit down, then I figure I made some extra work for someone, and I am fine with adding a couple bucks to the charge slip.

It does seem odd to me how that the % of tip is rising over time, but in general I feel like waitstaff work hard and could use a few extra bucks.

RenoJay

Post by RenoJay » Wed May 29, 2013 11:06 pm

I do tip on take out, usually around 10%. Ultimately, the people working in restaurants work a lot harder than me and don't make nearly as much. i figure that if I can't afford to tip, I should cook something myself.

kenyan

Post by kenyan » Thu May 30, 2013 12:15 am

No, and the tip line on credit card receipts has been one of my pet peeves for such situations (I'm getting over it). For delivery, sure, but for take-out? Nope. I've worked at a take-out only Chinese restaurant, as well as a sub sandwich shop that involved far more prep work than any takeout counter, and never expected or received tips for either.
Retirement investing is a marathon.