Do you tip on take out?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jimmy

Do you tip on take out?

Post by jimmy »

Just wondering what everybody else does here. Do you tip when you order take out? If so how much and what is your general tipping rule for take out?
dailybagel

Re: Do you tip on take out?

Post by dailybagel »

Not the same amount I would for table service.

But then again, I don't often order takeout from a place that is primarily a sit-down restaurant.

If it is the kind of place with a tip jar, I'll throw a couple bucks in if I've ordered a meal for several people. For a solo meal, coins or zero.

For an Italian restaurant that does takeout, but is primarily a sit-down restaurant I'll add about a few bucks, or 10%, or something like that, for a meal for many people. The way I figure it, someone is making sure that my order is handled properly, although it requires less care or attention than keeping tabs on an in-house party.
Last edited by dailybagel on Sun May 26, 2013 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
runner9

Post by runner9 »

WHL

Post by WHL »

I only do at one place, and it's because I always order 4-8 servings to go. It takes them a while to package everything up, they put parts of it on ice for me to keep it fresh for my long drive home, etc.

Otherwise, no. I can't stand tipping and the expectations from the waitstaff.
SteveNet

Post by SteveNet »

I do 10% for take out, Chinese, Mexican etc...
Being frugal is hard to learn, but once learned is hard to stop.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (tipping).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
NightOwl

Post by NightOwl »

I order fairly often from seamless.com, which displays a default tip amount that's around 10% of the order price. I usually zero that out (or put in something minimal) and tip the delivery person about 10% in cash -- several of them have volunteered to me that their manager pockets the online tips, and I figure that any tip money should go to the person who brought the food to my door.

Edit: Reading the other responses, I'm wondering if I misinterpreted OP's question. When I read "take-out," I immediately thought of home delivery. That I tip for. If I picked up food at a restaurant, I would likely tip a minimal amount if a tip jar were present, or perhaps nothing at all.

NightOwl
Last edited by NightOwl on Sat May 25, 2013 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Volatility provokes the constant dread that some investors know more than we do, making us fearful of ignoring such powerful price movements." | Peter Bernstein, "The 60/40 Solution."
connya

Post by connya »

Hosts aren't dependent on tips in the way that waiters or deliverymen are, so I see no reason to tip them as a general rule. Exceptional service should earn a tip, but there isn't much room for exceptional service when it's just a matter of someone handing me a bag of hot food.

I've never tipped for takeout.
mike143

Post by mike143 »

I didn't use to but now I will throw in a $1. I think most tips on take out are shared.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

I tip for delivery but not take out.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker »

No way.
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

Generally no, especially if I walk into the place and pick up the food at the counter. If it's one of those "carside carry out" deals where they bring it out to your car, go back and forth with your credit card for the bill, etc., then I'll throw them a couple of bucks.
Toons

Post by Toons »

No I do not tip on take out :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
greg24

Post by greg24 »

I've started to tip one american dollar.
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

I do not order take out ever. I do not order delivery ever. I do not utilize restaurants often but if I do it is to eat at one.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

No.

With respect to people who tip for takeout, would that also include fast food drive thru's where one is still picking up food to go?

I would venture to say most don't.

With respect to tipping, the U.S. is really on the high end on the tip range. A lot of countries seem to be in the 10% range, while some others do have service charges built in. It would be interesting to see what some how some of our international posters who visit or now live here feel about the level of tipping here relative to quality of service compared to their country of origin.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
chaz

Post by chaz »

Of course.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Jack

Post by Jack »

Random Musings wrote:With respect to tipping, the U.S. is really on the high end on the tip range.
The U.S. also has the lowest wages for waiters of developed countries -- $2.13 in some states, less than $4300 a year for a full-time employee.
StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Nope.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

No way. Pretty soon, tipping will be expected for everything, that is just ridiculous.
Do you tip your supermarket deli counter clerk? Do you tip your supermarket cashier as well? How about the baggers? :oops:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
brchump

Post by brchump »

I usually don't unless it is a location where I go to frequently. Even then it is just a dollar or two at most. Perhaps it's silly but I feel I'm already paying a bit of a excess price because I'm not sitting down at the restaurant to eat but am paying the full price off the standard menu.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

I can't explain my reasoning because I don't have any. I haven't tipped on pizza carry out or fast food carry out, but I have on restaurant carry out. I hadn't thought of that until this question.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
CMartel2

Post by CMartel2 »

Nope. Having worked as a server, I find the idea completely demeaning. A server is constantly advocating for those whom he serves and is whisking himself back and forth quite feverishly at times. Meanwhile, with takeout food you're looking at food being shoveled into some makeshift container and then being rung up. I'd be insulted as a server to see the folks working the counter getting a 10% tip for essentially nothing.

I'm biased, though. I tend to tip based upon how much work is being done and on quality. I'm a "cheapskate" to bartenders, as I frankly don't see them doing much work for me when they pour me a beer. Big whoop.
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

I get take-out Chinese about once a week. The place is under new management, which has added a tip jar on the counter. I tip the same as before, 0.

Brian
kramer

Post by kramer »

Jack wrote:
Random Musings wrote:With respect to tipping, the U.S. is really on the high end on the tip range.
The U.S. also has the lowest wages for waiters of developed countries -- $2.13 in some states, less than $4300 a year for a full-time employee.
This varies a lot by state and, of course, by employer. According to a googled article, only 12 states use that as a minimum wage for tipped employees. And the employer and employee are free to agree on a higher number based on market conditions.

When I visit the States, I spend most of my time in California and tipped employees have the same minimum wage as other employees.

I would never tip for takeout that I come to the restaurant to pick up (and presumably tipped staff like waiters would not even be involved). Even after having lived there for several decades, I find US tipping practices bizarre.
skylar

Post by skylar »

My wife used to do food prep at a chinese takeout place. She depended on those few who did tip to get by. We don't get take out often, but when we do, I tip 15-20%, knowing that we're lucky to make enough now that we can afford it.
natureexplorer

Post by natureexplorer »

No. I thought that was one of the points of takeout.
HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker »

Anybody tip the cashier at Walmart?

Why would anyone tip at a takeout? :oops:
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett
eddiejov55

Post by eddiejov55 »

I do not tip on take out because I assume all the "work." I have to get into my car, spend gas money, take the time to drive to the establishment. I receive no relaxation utility that would warrant a tip.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

Even after having lived there for several decades, I find US tipping practices bizarre.
I have lived here my whole life of going on 6 decades and I find them not only bizarre but increasingly bizarre as ever more people feel entitled to tips.

I rarely tip take out. Tips are for service not for ingredients and cooking. Putting it in a bag and 30 seconds to take my money just does not seem like much service. If I pay cash and there is a tip jar I sometimes put something in.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

Always
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

Rodc wrote:
Even after having lived there for several decades, I find US tipping practices bizarre.
I have lived here my whole life of going on 6 decades and I find them not only bizarre but increasingly bizarre as ever more people feel entitled to tips.
Same here, but I am not as old. People feel more entitled and the tip percentage is ever increasing!

I do not tip on takeout (I have never done takeout before though, haha).
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Rodc wrote:
kramer wrote:Even after having lived there for several decades, I find US tipping practices bizarre.
Tipping is an example of the conflict between standard economics and behavioral economics. Standard economics suggest that people are compensated according to their effort and that tipping enhances the service quality. Behavioral economics point out that people have a much greater pain of paying when making many small payments than a single large one. Thus, bundling all costs into a meal's price is easier on the customers than letting them decide on tipping.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO »

jimmy wrote:Just wondering what everybody else does here. Do you tip when you order take out? If so how much and what is your general tipping rule for take out?
Take out = $0.

Delivery = yes. But not 20% I would do for sit down.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

My 12 year old wanted something at Duncan Donuts. I wanted an ice tea. So I gave him $5. He walked down and back.

I asked for my change which was a dollar something.

"I put it in the tip jar. It is good to tip people, especially when they deserve it." he told me.

OK.

So I guess that counts as a yes in this thread.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
semperlux

Post by semperlux »

Speaking on tipping for service, anyone tip their doctors and nurses for, oh say, relieving their excruciating abdominal pain with morphine, saving them from heart a heart attack with an injection of clot buster, or providing oxygen & meds to help one breath during a copd or chf attack?

Kidding aside, no, I do not tip for take out. I see tips as a bonus for good service or if someone does something above and beyond their duty. I hate how entitling everyone has become EXPECTING a tip for things which are part of their expected duty / job description. If a server treats me well or goes above and beyond what is expected of them, I tip generously. If the service is poor, they get no tips.

Packing someone's food and processing payment is part of what that person was hired to do at the restaurant. If they feel they are not being paid enough, THEY need to talk to their boss, and the boss should not employ psychologically uncomfortable tactics on customers like a tip jar at the take out register, or adding a tip line on a take out bill. They should pay the employee better, raise food prices to account for it, and let the customer decide if they want to pay those prices /endrant.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

Wow. Bah humbug.

Nothing less than what I expect around these parts.
damjam

Post by damjam »

It depends.

I sometimes get takeout from this one diner. The person handling takeout is the same waitress that works the counter. I know the owner pays whomever works that station the lower waitstaff rate. I give a small tip - a couple bucks at most. The waitress is most appreciative, especially since that station is somewhat of a looser, a waitress can make more serving the regular tables and booths in this diner.

I get takeout from a couple of other restaurants that I am sure use hostesses or designated employees to handle takeout. I usually don't tip those.

For delivery, I usually tip about 10%, sometimes more if it is a small order.
ogd

Post by ogd »

I do tip, 10%-ish. Quality of service does matter for a takeout order: no missing items or mix-ups, the substitutions I want, no waiting, good packaging. And since I use the same 4-5 places for takeout, I want to be on their good side. It seems to work.
semperlux

Post by semperlux »

It's a matter of principle and the way business is conducted. I enjoy my restaurant experiences much more in Europe even though I pay higher prices knowing their waitstaff is well compensated and I don't have to deal with any pressure to tip and calculate what to add on. I just pay the agreed upon price posted on the menu items of my choosing and leave.

If I started tipping on take out, do I tip my bank teller, my lawyer, my doctor, my accountant? They all provide a service to me. No, of course not because their "tip" / compensation is already factored into the service fee I pay. Why should a restaurant be any different? I agree restaurant workers should be paid more, but dumping the responsibility on the customer to determine if and how much to tip is the wrong approach.
greg24 wrote:Wow. Bah humbug.

Nothing less than what I expect around these parts.
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

Hayden wrote:Always

Never
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
QBoy

Post by QBoy »

No. Tipping is normally for the wait staff. But they are not involved with take out. Who would get the tip in that case?

I do tip for delivery.
mike143

Post by mike143 »

My new default for sit down is 15% before tax then rounded up to the next dollar. I know how hard I work for my money and if they provide me with standard service, this is my standard payment. If I felt I need to be more frugal than this, then I will not dine out.

I did some pizza delivery in my day, we were paid just under $4 an hour and the rest in direct tips. I loved going to the furthest distance we would travel, pull up to a $500k home with a $200k car sitting in the garage and getting a $1 tip. This was only 5-7 years ago. It was a means to supplement my full time job and aid in paying off debt. I am pretty frugal so I will pickup my food, its nice to go for a little ride.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

CMartel2 wrote:Nope. Having worked as a server, I find the idea completely demeaning. A server is constantly advocating for those whom he serves and is whisking himself back and forth quite feverishly at times. Meanwhile, with takeout food you're looking at food being shoveled into some makeshift container and then being rung up. I'd be insulted as a server to see the folks working the counter getting a 10% tip for essentially nothing.

I'm biased, though. I tend to tip based upon how much work is being done and on quality. I'm a "cheapskate" to bartenders, as I frankly don't see them doing much work for me when they pour me a beer. Big whoop.
Even better, I do not drink alcohol at all. And despite being 60, I can count on one hand how many times I have sat at a bar in the last 30 years.... I am a bore I guess.
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

I have a thought. As is customary, I was at a restaurant in Manhattan with more than 6 or 8 people (the magic nubmer) where a tip is automatically added on. It used to be 15%, now it is 18%. And the tax is added (8.75% in NY). So basically 25% above the list price. Tipping is not discretionary unless you want to go higher and there is no way I go higher if I am forced to give a certain amount. We actually did there and it started an argument because my big shot cousin wanted to although he wasn't the only one paying. Regardless, I would like to see restaurants become like stubhub is now for tickets. At stubhub they show the all in price., If you buy a ticket at Citifield for the Mets (who would?) there is the cost. Then there's a facility fee and a convenience fee and a printing fee. But these are mandatory. So it should be one overall number. Similarly at restaurants, let them pay the staff appropriately and post a charge that includes a tip. And let them go one better and make the price all in including taxes. Like they do for movie tickets. It if it $10, the ticket shows the breakdown. The only reason they don't is so people think they get a meal at 19.99 when it's really $25. But nobody ever buys my logic or illogic on these things.
semperlux

Post by semperlux »

Calm Man wrote:Similarly at restaurants, let them pay the staff appropriately and post a charge that includes a tip. And let them go one better and make the price all in including taxes. Like they do for movie tickets. It if it $10, the ticket shows the breakdown. The only reason they don't is so people think they get a meal at 19.99 when it's really $25. But nobody ever buys my logic or illogic on these things.
Exactly my thought on the subject. Glad someone else feels the same way. Thanks.
steadyeddy

Post by steadyeddy »

connya wrote:Hosts aren't dependent on tips in the way that waiters or deliverymen are, so I see no reason to tip them as a general rule. Exceptional service should earn a tip, but there isn't much room for exceptional service when it's just a matter of someone handing me a bag of hot food.

I've never tipped for takeout.

In my state, hosts and waitstaff are both compensated at federal minimum wage. Servers generally give the hosts ~10% of their tips at the end of the evening so the hosts make significantly less money than the servers per hour. Hosts take those low-paying jobs because they hope to become servers at the restaurant in time; something like understudies.

I usually don't tip when picking up chinese from the owner of the restaurant because I assume he or she makes decent money. I do tip well if picking up food from an employee making minimum wage. For me, tips are some of the most personally satisfying "charitable gifts" I can give--going directly to the working poor. I have a particular soft spot in my heart for hotel cleaning staff. They do incredibly labor intensive work for minimum wage.
epilnk

Post by epilnk »

CMartel2 wrote:Nope. Having worked as a server, I find the idea completely demeaning. A server is constantly advocating for those whom he serves and is whisking himself back and forth quite feverishly at times. Meanwhile, with takeout food you're looking at food being shoveled into some makeshift container and then being rung up. I'd be insulted as a server to see the folks working the counter getting a 10% tip for essentially nothing.

My mom was a waitress, and she was the same. She was proud of her service and would be very offended to see a slacking waitress automatically tipped as much as she was. Especially since the wait staff had to do a fair amount of prep work which meant she was carrying some of the slacker's load behind the scenes. She was adamant that tips be based on the quality of service, and felt that a deserving waiter should get 20% but not others.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

mike143 wrote:I did some pizza delivery in my day, we were paid just under $4 an hour and the rest in direct tips. I loved going to the furthest distance we would travel, pull up to a $500k home with a $200k car sitting in the garage and getting a $1 tip. This was only 5-7 years ago.
My son is doing pizza delivery and they have a very large delivery area and this happens. He certainly loses money on some deliveries. Then once in a while someone gives him like $20. I think people just don't know how the compensation system works for pizza drivers. I know I did not. In the past I had assumed they got minimum wage, plus paid for mileage, plus tips. Instead, in my son's case, it is $5 per hour, tips, and I think a flat $1 per delivery (a portion of the delivery charge).

In my son's case I think they average 7 miles round trip per delivery, so that's around $1 in gas and I would guess car repairs probably add at least another $1 per delivery to his expenses.

I find it bizzare that anyone would give a tip for picking up food. I am curious if those that do so include fast food restaurants and if not, why not?

I know at the pizza place and the chinese restaurant the reciept has a tip line, but I just assume that is there becasue they also have table service. I never thought there was any expectation of a tip.
dbcoop

Post by dbcoop »

jeffyscott wrote:
mike143 wrote:I did some pizza delivery in my day, we were paid just under $4 an hour and the rest in direct tips. I loved going to the furthest distance we would travel, pull up to a $500k home with a $200k car sitting in the garage and getting a $1 tip. This was only 5-7 years ago.
My son is doing pizza delivery and they have a very large delivery area and this happens. He certainly loses money on some deliveries. Then once in a while someone gives him like $20. I think people just don't know how the compensation system works for pizza drivers. I know I did not. In the past I had assumed they got minimum wage, plus paid for mileage, plus tips. Instead, in my son's case, it is $5 per hour, tips, and I think a flat $1 per delivery (a portion of the delivery charge).

In my son's case I think they average 7 miles round trip per delivery, so that's around $1 in gas and I would guess car repairs probably add at least another $1 per delivery to his expenses.

>>I find it bizzare that anyone would give a tip for picking up food. I am curious if those that do so include fast food restaurants and if not, why not?

I know at the pizza place and the chinese restaurant the reciept has a tip line, but I just assume that is there becasue they also have table service. I never thought there was any expectation of a tip.<<
:? Me too jefferyscott ...as you posted above. Emotional/psychological self gratification for the tipper? I'm perplexed.
A computer is essentially a file cabinet with an electric typewriter and a television attached to it.