Help with Bogleheading in Hong Kong

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

Help with Bogleheading in Hong Kong

Postby P10 » Thu May 23, 2013 2:47 am

A repost, sort of, as my original post is lost.

Newbie here in Hong Kong. I am sure this has been discussed before, but I am hoping for a more definitive answer from some of the more experienced Bogleheads.
Following some of the great books and what I have learned from these pages, my ultimate investment goal is to have a portfolio that is simple but strong enough to ride out the ups and downs. Unfortunately, I have found it very difficult to implement just that in Hong Kong. ERs are for funds too high; ETFs have no flows; and one can forget about real global diversification. Biting the tax bullet and investing directly in the US looks to be the only answer.

Here is what I am planning to do:
24% - 2800 HK Tracker Fund (HSI Index Fund)
16% - 2819 HK ABN HK Bond Index Fund
25% - VTI
11% - VXUS
17% - BND
7% - VCIT

Q1, Does my 40/60 allocation for home/away make any sense? I do worry more about China than the US.
Q2, Any suggestions for replacing any of the US ETFs? Specifically, I am looking for locally available alternatives as I do worry about estate tax if not tax on dividend.

Thanks and appreciate it.

Re: Help with Bogleheading in Hong Kong

Postby Johm221122 » Thu May 23, 2013 8:43 pm

Welcome to forum,
I have no answer for you but search feature may help ...
Hopefully this bumps you up

Site Admin

Postby LadyGeek » Thu May 23, 2013 8:48 pm

Welcome! We have several members from Hong Kong. I PM'd someone who might help.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Postby HongKonger » Thu May 23, 2013 9:11 pm

Hey P10 - a fellow Hongkie here (well Brit expat perm res).

Will send you a PM.

Return to “Investing - Help with Personal Investments”