Are you a frugal person?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
investnoob13

Are you a frugal person?

Post by investnoob13 »

Bogleheads:

A question: Are you a frugal person? Are you too crazy about investing into your portfolio?

I feel like the more I saved/invested, the more frugal I am. I am not sure if you have a similar type of feeling. I used to be very generous on things..

Friends said I am too frugal and too cheap on things and myself now... I managed to save $5000 each month and invested all of them into my portfolio. I feel guilty if I don't have $5000 saved monthly... Friends sand I am too crazy about investing..

Here's a list:
- Check slickdeal/fatwallet site daily for coupons/deals
- Get 5 dollars hair cuts
- Always take my lunch to work
- Spend hours to fix my rental properties when I can simply hire someone else
- Use no cellphone contract (VirginMobile service: $25/mo)
- Never use brand name stuffs
- Always pack up leftover food if we eat out
- No cable services. Only watch local tv channels or netflix (bought 1 year subscription for $30 bucks via ebay).
- Shop at Ross for cheap clothing/shoes
- etc...

A friend asked me today: What happen if your investment portfolio tank tomorrow? He said you should treat yourself better today and don't worry about tomorrow.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Are you a frugal person?

Post by LadyGeek »

We've got a 10+page running thread on frugality, let's continue there: That Frugal Thing You Do

(Thread locked to redirect discussion.)

OP - If you disagree, PM me.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.