Where to backup /Save sensitive information; Google Drive ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
kwan2

Where to backup /Save sensitive information; Google Drive ?

Post by kwan2 » Sun May 12, 2013 5:48 pm

So, I've turbotax'd again and printed 26pages. But, I don't usually delete the turbotax file, i make it hidden and remove the ability for a user to read/write it,

What do other people do with sensitive information on one's HD ?

I'm tempted to upload it to google drive, for which I have 2 step verification login , etc; and I guess it's safer from being offsite, but it has ?sensitive information in it, so should something like this be kept locally only ?

curious what others do .
“The history of Paris teaches us that beauty is a by-product of danger, that liberty is at best a consequence of neglect, that wisdom is entwined with decay."

enderland

Re: Where to backup /Save sensitive information; Google Driv

Post by enderland » Sun May 12, 2013 5:53 pm

I have my tax information on a folder which is backed up locally on an external harddrive. I guess I perhaps should consider a bit more security other than simply having an account password.

Then again, I can't figure out where my blasted documents are saved ever, how would someone attempting to be malicious do so :sharebeer

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sun May 12, 2013 5:54 pm

kwan2 wrote:So, I've turbotax'd again and printed 26pages. But, I don't usually delete the turbotax file, i make it hidden and remove the ability for a user to read/write it,

What do other people do with sensitive information on one's HD ?

I'm tempted to upload it to google drive, for which I have 2 step verification login , etc; and I guess it's safer from being offsite, but it has ?sensitive information in it, so should something like this be kept locally only ?

curious what others do .
You can always put it on a thumb drive and put that in a safe place.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

flipflopliving

Post by flipflopliving » Sun May 12, 2013 5:56 pm

We have been looking into cloud storage, it is about $5 a month and most will automatically back up on a daily basis.
Take the course opposite to custom, you will almost always do well. Rousseau

otbricki

Post by otbricki » Sun May 12, 2013 6:02 pm

I burn mine to an archival quality CD or DVD and stick it into a file along with a paper copy of the return & support documentation.

Hastibe

Post by Hastibe » Sun May 12, 2013 6:25 pm

A lot of online backup services offer several GBs (way more than enough space for tax documents) of free encrypted storage for personal users (check out Dropbox, IDrive, or SugarSync, for instance).

jay22

Post by jay22 » Sun May 12, 2013 6:50 pm

I use Google Drive and Dropbox for all my important files. Both works splendidly well.

Igglesman

Post by Igglesman » Sun May 12, 2013 7:05 pm

Google Drive with two-step security. Instead of Drive, you could gmail the pdf to yourself (I am sure someone will point out that this is not totally secure).

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Sun May 12, 2013 7:07 pm

I have two flash drives - each encrypted with TrueCrypt and the data is kept in two separate locations.
one with easy access and one in a bank safety deposit box.
The password is over 40 characters, but it's easy for me to remember.
But useless for anyone else to break.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun May 12, 2013 7:21 pm

kwan2 wrote:So, I've turbotax'd again and printed 26pages. But, I don't usually delete the turbotax file, i make it hidden and remove the ability for a user to read/write it,
In Windows 7 Explorer, Organize --> Folder and Search Options --> View (tab) --> Hidden Files and Folders --> Show Files, folders and drives

This is my default view. There is no such thing as a hidden file to me. Your file will not be hidden to anyone else who uses your PC, as most secondary accounts I've seen setup in Windows also have administrator privileges.

As Rob5TCP points out, use TrueCrypt to create a secure volume (container for your files) and put everything in there. Be sure to use a strong password. Trust No One.
Igglesman wrote:Google Drive with two-step security. Instead of Drive, you could gmail the pdf to yourself (I am sure someone will point out that this is not totally secure).
OK, it's not secure at all. A good first step is to make an encypted .zip file using 7-Zip with a strong password. 7-Zip is open source file compression and is backwards compatible when you save in .zip format. Email the .zip file instead of the PDF. Don't ever put the file password in the same email; use a different path to get it to the recipient.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan » Sun May 12, 2013 7:36 pm

Consider using Boxcryptor or Encfs on the linked cloud folder.
My signature has been deleted.

G-Force

Post by G-Force » Sun May 12, 2013 7:43 pm

For sensitive information, I would use local storage only such as an external hard drive or USB thumb drive.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Sun May 12, 2013 7:43 pm

I store all my data on Google drive. (I also keep a copy on my (encrypted) laptop and a backup of that on an external hard drive.)

Igglesman

Post by Igglesman » Sun May 12, 2013 8:00 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Igglesman wrote:Google Drive with two-step security. Instead of Drive, you could gmail the pdf to yourself (I am sure someone will point out that this is not totally secure).
OK, it's not secure at all. A good first step is to make an encypted .zip file using 7-Zip with a strong password. 7-Zip is open source file compression and is backwards compatible when you save in .zip format. Email the .zip file instead of the PDF. Don't ever put the file password in the same email; use a different path to get it to the recipient.
How is it not secure? I could give you my google password...you have a minute to guess my second code....right? I am guessing that hackers can find the secondary security keys?
Thanks

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Sun May 12, 2013 8:16 pm

Igglesman wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:
How is it not secure? I could give you my google password...you have a minute to guess my second code....right? I am guessing that hackers can find the secondary security keys?
Thanks
Google has it (the file). A LG said, Trust Noone. Truecrypt is free and easy to use.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Sun May 12, 2013 8:18 pm

otbricki wrote:I burn mine to an archival quality CD or DVD and stick it into a file along with a paper copy of the return & support documentation.
So when the file burns in a fire, the paper copy and the disk are destroyed at the same time.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun May 12, 2013 8:49 pm

Sidney wrote:
Igglesman wrote:How is it not secure? I could give you my google password...you have a minute to guess my second code....right? I am guessing that hackers can find the secondary security keys?
Thanks
Google has it (the file). A LG said, Trust Noone. Truecrypt is free and easy to use.
My point exactly. Google will archive that data for a l-o-n-g time. Aside from the hacking aspect, this article comes to mind: Google Drive files can end up in ads, even though you still own them.

I learned about the Trust No One security model from my favorite computer security webcast: Security Now! This episode explains what you need to know when you store things in "the cloud": Cloud Solutions Trust No One is discussed quite a bit.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Jack

Post by Jack » Sun May 12, 2013 9:33 pm

kwan2 wrote:What do other people do with sensitive information on one's HD ?
Define sensitive. I'll gladly show you my tax return if you are really interested. Who cares?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun May 12, 2013 9:41 pm

Consider what you can do with a Social Security number and a matching name and address - which are on your return. If you did a direct deposit refund, add the bank routing and account numbers to the pile.

Jack

Post by Jack » Sun May 12, 2013 10:06 pm

LadyGeek wrote:Consider what you can do with a Social Security number and a matching name and address - which are on your return. If you did a direct deposit refund, add the bank routing and account numbers to the pile.
If you think your name, address, social security number and bank account numbers are secret information, think again.

otbricki

Post by otbricki » Sun May 12, 2013 10:17 pm

LadyGeek wrote: My point exactly. Google will archive that data for a l-o-n-g time.

The thing about Google is that they give no warranty on the data storage. They've had data loss incidents with their mail and docs products.

http://www.dataloss.com/?p=67
http://notability.rmlowe.com/2011/04/22 ... t-my-data/

Hacking isn't limited to retrieving data for nefarious uses. It can also entail simple vandalism such as data deletion.

And of course there is good old fashioned user error.

Backups really should be read only.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun May 12, 2013 10:20 pm

Jack wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:Consider what you can do with a Social Security number and a matching name and address - which are on your return. If you did a direct deposit refund, add the bank routing and account numbers to the pile.
If you think your name, address, social security number and bank account numbers are secret information, think again.
Good point, but the idea is to make the discovery process as hard as possible. A tax return has all the information in one spot. You don't want to give them everything in one fell swoop.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Sun May 12, 2013 10:41 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Jack wrote:
Good point, but the idea is to make the discovery process as hard as possible. A tax return has all the information in one spot. You don't want to give them everything in one fell swoop.
The idea should be to make the people who act as if they are secret information stop acting that way. Unfortunately well meaning people such as yourself are making this extremely difficult.

In a similar vein: If one answers security questions factually and your account gets hacked it seems to me that this should be completely on organization asking the security questions, however I have no doubt they will try to weasel out by trotting out hundreds of insecurity experts who say any reasonable person will give false answers.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sun May 12, 2013 10:51 pm

I save a PDF to flash drive and backup to Google Drive using 2-step verification :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Mon May 13, 2013 6:45 am

I am not convinced that tax returns are particularly sensitive. I think the reason why people are protective of them is mostly social--you just don't want other people to know your income. What does a tax return have on it that a drivers' license--name, address, often Social Security number, date of birth, picture, and signature--doesn't have on it? True, if it does give you leads to financial institutions and indications of where the big money is. I'm not saying tax returns aren't sensitive, but I don't think they're in a different category from a credit card statement.

My wife worked in a small business with a shredder, and she said the rule there was "shred anything with numbers on it."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Mon May 13, 2013 7:19 am

nisiprius wrote:I am not convinced that tax returns are particularly sensitive.
The nice thing about encryption is that it is free and you don't need to decide which data is sensitive and which is not. I used to keep my data in two separate folder "branches" so I could keep my "confidential info" segregated. Then I realized there was no need to do that so I encrypt the entire data folder structure plus profiles from Thunderbird and Firefox.

lwfitzge

Post by lwfitzge » Mon May 13, 2013 7:25 am

I use Dropbox for important files. I use Carbonite as an automatic and daily backup of my entire computer. Most receipts from vendors, CC, Vanguard, banks are keep on their site in pdf (paperless) form. My taxes are hard copied and on DVD from my CPA. That covers 100% of my electronic files and 90% of my paper sources. The rest (10% or so) paper sources, I keep in an old fashion file folder.

StaTiK

Post by StaTiK » Mon May 13, 2013 9:51 am

LadyGeek wrote:
In Windows 7 Explorer, Organize --> Folder and Search Options --> View (tab) --> Hidden Files and Folders --> Show Files, folders and drives

This is my default view. There is no such thing as a hidden file to me. Your file will not be hidden to anyone else who uses your PC, as most secondary accounts I've seen setup in Windows also have administrator privileges.

As Rob5TCP points out, use TrueCrypt to create a secure volume (container for your files) and put everything in there. Be sure to use a strong password. Trust No One.
This is good advice. I think the point here is to make sensitive information as difficult to gather as possible for nefarious people. TrueCrypt and KeePass (password manager) are open source, very easy to use, and make my digital life multiple times more secure. My system isn't perfect and I know there are vulnerabilities that I have little control over but I protect myself where I can. I also lock my doors at night even though I know someone could break in through a window...

I don't particularly trust cloud storage but, as was pointed out earlier in this thread, don't want my backups to burn in a fire alongside my original copies. Answer? Strong encryption combined with cloud storage. Now my cloud storage provider maintains precious family photos (unencrypted) and copies of encrypted containers that they couldn't access if they wanted. If you aren't comfortable with this then thumbdrives/dvd copies in a safety deposit box is a decent alternative too (I would recommend encrypting these).

I'll end by saying that I'm trying to protect myself from being an easy victim. For example, if I only "hid" my files on my computer and some punk walked off with my laptop at the coffee shop my information would be very vulnerable. With my $0, easier-than-passwords-on-sticky-notes encryption solution I technically wouldn't even need to change my account passwords unless he turned the computer over to a 3-letter government agency.
-StaTiK-
"M is the amount of money you need to retire, Y is how many years you'll live, R is your future rate of return, and I is the future rate of inflation. Y, R, and I are unknown. Solve for M."

StaTiK

Post by StaTiK » Mon May 13, 2013 10:04 am

nisiprius wrote:
LadyGeek wrote: I'm not saying tax returns aren't sensitive, but I don't think they're in a different category from a credit card statement.

My wife worked in a small business with a shredder, and she said the rule there was "shred anything with numbers on it."
As a business it's probably because of liability but, saying that, I shred anything with numbers on it too :happy This is partly because it's easy and partly because a small shredded pile of truly sensitive information may be more inviting than a larger shredded pile of sensitive information mixed with cable TV bills. I may have a problem :oops:
-StaTiK-
"M is the amount of money you need to retire, Y is how many years you'll live, R is your future rate of return, and I is the future rate of inflation. Y, R, and I are unknown. Solve for M."

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon May 13, 2013 3:30 pm

lwfitzge wrote:... I use Carbonite as an automatic and daily backup of my entire computer...
I hope you know that Carbonite deletes files after 30 days. If you accidentally delete a file and wait 31 days to retrieve it, you're out of luck. Carbonite is not an archival service. About Carbonite's Retention of Deleted Files

Market345

Post by Market345 » Mon May 13, 2013 4:07 pm

Check out CrashPlan. Unlike Carbonite, they can keep your deleted files forever! As well as all previous versions of every file. You can customize the deleted files and previous versions retention settings.

And they have a free first year offer: https://www.crashplan.com/carboniteswitcher/ (and no, you don't have to be a carbonite customer to take advantage of this offer - they have no way of verifying).

I use CrashPlan with an encryption password so that no one at CrashPlan can view my files. This gives me infinite archival, cloud encryption, and offsite backup - all in one solution! I also have CrashPlan configured to check my hard drive for changed files every 15 minutes and automatically back them up.

For sensitive files that you don't want people to access on your hard drive, use a TrueCrypt contianer and then have CrashPlan backup the TrueCrypt container.

And if you're running Windows 7 or 8, you should really setup BitLocker for full drive encryption. It's seamless and protects you in case of a thief stealing your computer and going through your hard drive.

scottyja

Post by scottyja » Mon May 13, 2013 5:00 pm

Like others have mentioned, I use TrueCrypt. While I do store sensitive data online (mainly with Google Drive), it's always encrypted in a TrueCrypt container.

frugaltype

Post by frugaltype » Mon May 13, 2013 5:12 pm

I would never keep sensitive information out on the web.

I keep hardcopies and a thumb drive in my house, and a thumb drive that I periodically cycle in my safe deposit box.

As to google, I'm trying to recall the idiot quote from Eric Schmidt about privacy, about people having no need for privacy unless they're doing something wrong.

kwan2

Post by kwan2 » Tue May 21, 2013 11:28 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sidney wrote:
Igglesman wrote:How is it not secure? I could give you my google password...you have a minute to guess my second code....right? I am guessing that hackers can find the secondary security keys?
Thanks
My point exactly. Google will archive that data for a l-o-n-g time. Aside from the hacking aspect, this article comes to mind: Google Drive files can end up in ads, even though you still own them.

I learned about the Trust No One security model from my favorite computer security webcast: Security Now! This episode explains what you need to know when you store things in "the cloud": Cloud Solutions Trust No One is discussed quite a bit.
I fear you are saying, what I suspect, which is: that even if I delete the file from Google Drive, google (doing me a favor), is going to keep as a backup, ANYthing I've ever uploaded to Google Drive, somewhere in their system?

E.g. I think there was a court case in europe, forcing them to permanenly delete, things users had deleted ?

if so, sure seems like there is no where to hide these days... except, un-google forever, which is not practical
“The history of Paris teaches us that beauty is a by-product of danger, that liberty is at best a consequence of neglect, that wisdom is entwined with decay."

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Wed May 22, 2013 7:19 am

kwan2 wrote:I fear you are saying, what I suspect, which is: that even if I delete the file from Google Drive, google (doing me a favor), is going to keep as a backup, ANYthing I've ever uploaded to Google Drive, somewhere in their system?

E.g. I think there was a court case in europe, forcing them to permanenly delete, things users had deleted ?

if so, sure seems like there is no where to hide these days... except, un-google forever, which is not practical
Privacy laws are different in Europe than they are in the US.

I have two rules I use with Google (I use their mail and I use their Drive).

One, I don't put anything in an email that I would feel badly about if it were printed in the newspaper.
Two, I don't put any personal information on the Drive that is not encrypted BY ME.

fatlittlepig

Post by fatlittlepig » Mon May 27, 2013 9:26 pm

In google we trust. Google drive is fine. No one is that desperate to get to your data. My password is uncrackable.

FLP
fatlittlepig

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon May 27, 2013 9:32 pm

fatlittlepig wrote:
In google we trust. Google drive is fine. No one is that desperate to get to your data. My password is uncrackable.

FLP
+5 :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Jeff7

Post by Jeff7 » Mon May 27, 2013 9:40 pm

Rob5TCP wrote:I have two flash drives - each encrypted with TrueCrypt and the data is kept in two separate locations.
one with easy access and one in a bank safety deposit box.
The password is over 40 characters, but it's easy for me to remember.
But useless for anyone else to break.
Another vote for Truecrypt, either for local storage, or especially if you're going to store it on a server owned by someone else.
Multi-layer encryption coupled with a long password, and it's immune to most methods of extraction.

Just...don't forget the password. There's no backdoor, there's no master password, there's just a big mass of random-looking data, with only one (practical) way in.
Your best bet then is to wait several decades until we've got quantum computers that can render current encryption methods obsolete.

fatlittlepig

Post by fatlittlepig » Mon May 27, 2013 9:59 pm

Toons wrote:
fatlittlepig wrote:

FLP
+5 :happy
Not sure why someone would pay a monthly fee or whatever for data storage when google is free. you're making an assumption that a smaller company has better security than google a huge multinational corporation. I'd stick with the free service. I'm pretty sure google will be around in 10 years these other companies who are relying on your business, who knows. Now if I were in charge of storing nuclear launch codes or the coca cola recipe I would probably stick it under my mattress.

FLP
fatlittlepig

Gleevec

Post by Gleevec » Mon May 27, 2013 10:48 pm

Google is well known to keep data around forever. They have poor customer service if there are any issues, in fact their websites warn that all of their software is "as is"

Dont believe me, give me an email or phone number to contact if I have trouble with my google drive data-- there isnt any.

Best to buy a $50 external hard drive and back up using encryption.

I use google drive/dropbox/skydrive for things I dont mind having published in a newspaper (PDFs I read, photos, etc). But for sensitive info, using google drive would not be my recommendation

fatlittlepig

Post by fatlittlepig » Mon May 27, 2013 11:02 pm

Gleevec wrote:Google is well known to keep data around forever. They have poor customer service if there are any issues, in fact their websites warn that all of their software is "as is"

Dont believe me, give me an email or phone number to contact if I have trouble with my google drive data-- there isnt any.

I use google drive/dropbox/skydrive for things I dont mind having published in a newspaper (PDFs I read, photos, etc). But for sensitive info, using google drive would not be my recommendation
I enjoy being able to access my info from anywhere I am, whenever.
google has been very reliable for me. I think the chances of an external HD failure is probably an order of magnitude higher than having something go wrong with your google drive (i have about 5 ext HDs, 2/5 have failed, they don't inspire a lot of confidence in me)
to each his own.
fatlittlepig

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Tue May 28, 2013 11:02 am

fatlittlepig wrote:when google is free
Only for 5gb.

fatlittlepig

Post by fatlittlepig » Tue May 28, 2013 12:31 pm

Sidney wrote:
Only for 5gb.
actually it is 15 gb for gmail - google drive combined

I keep all tax returns, important documents (scanned copies of driver's license, passports, SS cards, BC's), receipts, etc etc on google drive

for my photos, music files i have those on my external hard drives.

pro-tip: you can use jot not or other scanner iphone apps to "scan" documents, then directly sync them to google drive. these apps work amazingly well.

FLP
fatlittlepig

ourbrooks

Post by ourbrooks » Tue May 28, 2013 12:33 pm

I never did offsite storage until two summers ago there was a major fire in our area. Many people were away at work and didn't make it home before their houses burned. They didn't have much luck with the melted hard drives.

Another good candidate for cloud storage is Amazon S3. Unlike Google Drive, redundant storage is available; if you need your data in a hurry "oh we're getting it from backup" may not be good enough. There are multiple clients available; Dropbox is just one of many. There's also a web client. Below 5 gig, S3 is free but prices are very modest above that.

Amazon S3 is just one of the many cloud services Amazon offers. They're trying to make money directly from those services, unlike Google for whom Google Drive and other services are positioned primarily to sell advertisting.

I use Truecrypt to encrypt my data before I upload it.

pochax

Post by pochax » Tue May 28, 2013 1:06 pm

fatlittlepig wrote:
Sidney wrote:
Only for 5gb.
actually it is 15 gb for gmail - google drive combined

I keep all tax returns, important documents (scanned copies of driver's license, passports, SS cards, BC's), receipts, etc etc on google drive

for my photos, music files i have those on my external hard drives.

pro-tip: you can use jot not or other scanner iphone apps to "scan" documents, then directly sync them to google drive. these apps work amazingly well.

FLP
Plus if you buy any chromebook you will get at least 100GB cloud drive on Google Drive for free for 2-yrs (once the 2 yrs is up you cannot ADD TO what you have stored up until then without paying for it but you will have access to what you have stored up until that point).

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Tue May 28, 2013 3:40 pm

Best bet:

1. Encrypt the .pdf for basic entry-level security.

If you're still worried about security,

2. Make a TrueCrypt (free download) archive file. Will make it essentially crack-proof for all intents and purposes.

If you've done TrueCrypt, you can backup pretty much anywhere and not worry about it since the end-file is essentially uncrackable. (Don't lose the password though.)

If you've only done #1 (basic .pdf encryption), it's probably worth keeping in at least a container with a separate, different password. This would Google drive or other cloud or folder or email services where you have to log on with a password different from your .pdf password. (I wouldn't just Crashplan backup this one though, since Crashplan doesn't typically require a separate password to retrieve files if you've got a hold of the main computer.)

Any security is better than none, but the TrueCrypt really takes a lot of the risk and guesswork out of it.

halfnine

Post by halfnine » Tue May 28, 2013 3:42 pm

Market345 wrote:.....
I use CrashPlan with an encryption password so that no one at CrashPlan can view my files. This gives me infinite archival, cloud encryption, and offsite backup - all in one solution! I also have CrashPlan configured to check my hard drive for changed files every 15 minutes and automatically back them up.

For sensitive files that you don't want people to access on your hard drive, use a TrueCrypt contianer and then have CrashPlan backup the TrueCrypt container...
For people interested in this, I found that the default setting for TrueCrypt was not to update the date stamp on the container file. Which means CrashPlan as used above or any other incremental backup scheme wouldn't actually backup future changes within the container. Maybe this default setting has modified in later versions or maybe I just screwed something up on my version. Either way, this can easily be changed within TrueCrypt itself.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue May 28, 2013 4:17 pm

^^^ Change that setting with care. The whole idea is to hide the contents. If the date is updated every time you make a change, you've now given the bad guys some extra information to chew on. Sort your files by date, look what shows up... OK, let's try cracking that one.

halfnine

Post by halfnine » Tue May 28, 2013 7:27 pm

LadyGeek wrote:^^^ Change that setting with care. The whole idea is to hide the contents. If the date is updated every time you make a change, you've now given the bad guys some extra information to chew on. Sort your files by date, look what shows up... OK, let's try cracking that one.
That was my thought as well when I modified it and had assumed that was why it was set up like that. But then it was either that or not have anything that automatically backed up my changes to the files within. Alternatively, I guess I could just have it overwrite that file on a regular basis instead. But, then anyone who had gained access to my backup software would notice that as well. Although, quite frankly, it probably wouldn't much matter either way as the size of the container has grown large enough to cause suspician as it is. Not sure the best way around that. Hmm...I have other issues with my backups as well, maybe time for a new post.

Gleevec

Post by Gleevec » Tue May 28, 2013 7:54 pm

fatlittlepig wrote:
Gleevec wrote:Google is well known to keep data around forever. They have poor customer service if there are any issues, in fact their websites warn that all of their software is "as is"

I enjoy being able to access my info from anywhere I am, whenever.
google has been very reliable for me. I think the chances of an external HD failure is probably an order of magnitude higher than having something go wrong with your google drive (i have about 5 ext HDs, 2/5 have failed, they don't inspire a lot of confidence in me)
to each his own.
Can do that with dropbox or skydrive or box, sites that dont search through your data, if cloud uploading is your priority.

I use google as my main search engine, but would definitely not trust them with my personal data