Where to get photos or posters framed?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
runnergirl

Where to get photos or posters framed?

Post by runnergirl »

Michaels charges way too much.
ieee488

Re: Where to get photos or posters framed?

Post by ieee488 »

Your only other option is do-it-yourself.
http://www.americanframe.com
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

runnergirl wrote:Michaels charges way too much.
Even after taking into account their 50% off sale prices?

If so, are you handy with a saw?
mlipps

Post by mlipps »

I ordered custom cut frames from WholesalePosterFrames.com a few months ago and am happy with both the quality & price, but these are not super fancy posters I was framing.

Another option is that local framing places seem to incessantly have Groupons for offer. You could save a good deal going that route.
coldplay221

Post by coldplay221 »

Amazon seller: ArtToFrames
Costco for posters/photos.
CABob

Post by CABob »

Do you have Aaron Brothers in your area? http://www.aaronbrothers.com/
For the most part I suspect that the best services are independant rather than major chains or franchises.
Bob
TSR

Post by TSR »

I've generally found that the optimal solution is to (1) go to either Michael's or Hobby Lobby (with coupons, of course, most of which are available always and on your iphone or computer or whatever), (2) have them measure your poster/picture/painting for matting, (3) pay for custom matting that will fit a standard sized frame, (4) purchase the frame there --- either open-back or the full deal with glass, etc., then (5) decide whether you want to pay them for cut glass, etc.

This usually results in a custom-looking framing job for approximately 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of custom framing. If you have them do the glass and an acid-free matting, it will be more like 1/2. The framing folks at both Michael's and Hobby Lobby will be happy to work with you to accomplish this, and they'll size it all out for you. The one drawback is that sometimes you get a slightly funny looking dimension to things where there is way more space on either the sides or the top of the matting.
sport

Post by sport »

Custom framing is expensive. However, ready made frames are available inexpensively. As long as you can find the size you need, it need not cost too much.
Jeff
Skiffy

Post by Skiffy »

Have you tried the digital photograph to canvas prints? We have been very happy Sam's Club, but their are alot of online places that will also do this. We blew up a fire photo with dark trees, orange smoky background that looks like a sunset. They place the canvas over frames, so they are ready to hang--
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

I went through this recently with a diverse collection of art as well as posters.

My feeling:

If you have fine art or things you really care about on canvas, go to a reputable local frame shop that stands by its work and have the custom job done...it will be expensive, but canvas stretching can be tricky and tedious, and you really don't want to screw it up on art work you value and want to keep.

If you are framing things like posters, there are two options. Any art supply house (or ebay) offers modular frames...you specify the length and width and they are easy to do yourself. Remember that sunlight degrades colors, and lighting can cause glare, so if these are issues for you, pay extra for the appropriate glass/plexiglas.

If what you are framing is standard size and you are not concerned with quality, you can buy do-it-yourself frames at places like Walmart online that look almost as good as the modular option above....they are cheaply made but that might not be an issue in certain circumstances.

I have used a combination of all three options above depending on the demands of what I framed. Good luck.
fatlittlepig

Post by fatlittlepig »

runnergirl wrote:Michaels charges way too much.
never understood why people pay for framing. 1 buy frame 2 put document or photo into frame 3 done.
fatlittlepig
Toons

Post by Toons »

When I was framing pictures ,I would buy 8x10 frames at Wal-Mart, print quite a few favorite photos then insert about 3 pics in each frame,then rotate them periodically. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
WHL

Post by WHL »

I've used Michael's for 6 of my 7 pieces. All have come out great.

Custom, top quality framing is expensive. If you have a nice piece you want to look great, spend the money. If you don't mind your art, posters, or pictures looking like they came from Walmart, feel free to use a pre-made frame.
fatlittlepig

Post by fatlittlepig »

WHL wrote:I've used Michael's for 6 of my 7 pieces. All have come out great.

Custom, top quality framing is expensive. If you have a nice piece you want to look great, spend the money. If you don't mind your art, posters, or pictures looking like they came from Walmart, feel free to use a pre-made frame.
I've bought some beautiful wood frames from eBay for my medical school and college diplomas and they sure do look splendid. I shudder to think what michaels or whatever would charge.
fatlittlepig
scouter

Post by scouter »

At Hobby Lobby and similar stores, it's easy to find nice frames for 11 x 14 or 8 x 10 photos, and larger. They also have a pretty good selection of 11 x 14 pre-cut mats with an 8 x 10 photo opening, or 8 x 10 pre-cut mats with a 5 x 7 opening, etc. If you can't find a pre-cut mat with colors that work for your photo and frame, then it's worth having them cut a mat for you.

The biggest expense is the custom-made frame, and if you can avoid that by using a pre-built frame, you'll save a lot. If you're also able to use a pre-cut mat, you save even more. If it's a photo you're framing, you can print it at the size you need for the mat and frame, instead of having the frame built to the size of the photo.

If it's a painting and it's not a standard size, you'll have to have bite the bullet and have the frame built.
fatlittlepig

Post by fatlittlepig »

scouter wrote:At Hobby Lobby and similar stores, it's easy to find nice frames for 11 x 14 or 8 x 10 photos, and larger. They also have a pretty good selection of 11 x 14 pre-cut mats with an 8 x 10 photo opening, or 8 x 10 pre-cut mats with a 5 x 7 opening, etc. If you can't find a pre-cut mat with colors that work for your photo and frame, then it's worth having them cut a mat for you.

The biggest expense is the custom-made frame, and if you can avoid that by using a pre-built frame, you'll save a lot. If you're also able to use a pre-cut mat, you save even more. If it's a photo you're framing, you can print it at the size you need for the mat and frame, instead of having the frame built to the size of the photo.

If it's a painting and it's not a standard size, you'll have to have bite the bullet and have the frame built.
Yes. I forgot also to mention that you can buy beautiful mats that are double matted from eBay also.
fatlittlepig