any suggestions on a ccw [Concealed Carry Weapon]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ziszew

Re: any suggestions on a ccw [Concealed Carry Weapon]

Post by ziszew » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:22 pm

Dan999 wrote:<<snip>>
Please attend an NRA basic pistol class. An attorney once told a class, only shoot if you have to, after giving a warning, don't say anything until you have a lawyer, and be prepared to spend a large portion of your life savings to defend yourself.
<<snip>>

Best advice yet. Also, meet with an attorney familiar with CCW issues to talk with any specifics regarding your state; that, and you (or your spouse/partner) will have someone to call in the event you have a RBD of your own.

Remember that even if it is a "good" shoot, as the above said, you will spend most of what you're worth on lawyer fees.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:24 pm

SteveNet wrote:
Rosco wrote:sounds like the first thing to look at is a finger print safe. I have the big turn the knob variety. I always thought my walther p22 would be a great ccw as it's comfortable and very small, though it is very finicky on ammo, so I'd prefer a bit more assurance that when the trigger was pulled it cycled. Does ok with high velocity bullets. i'm sure most times the appearance of a gun is enough of a deterrent, but if it's not I don't know if I'd just want him to keep coming. what do the finger print safes cost? I assume those are of the size to put by your bed on a dresser, rather than multi-gun safes. S
It sounds like you already have a safe of some sort and are looking for something just for a pistol/revolver for quick access and keep the kids in the home safe from gaining access.
I have a 2cu ft fireproof safe from Sentry for about 10 yrs now that is NOT biometric. I only store my hand guns in it unloaded when I'm out of town (the one I'm not carrying).
I don't have any kids in the home at all, just me and the wife so I don't need what you are looking for for that reason.

I have read customer reviews of the biometric safes on amazon (I have never even seen one personally).
And I am troubled with some reviews saying that the safes are a bit finicky (not opening) all the time.
I do realize that some people can't tie their shoes reliably so reviews are to be viewed in that light.
That said I have never had issue with my fireproof safe with a 5 key digital entry opening in the past 10 yrs ever.
I realize that in a panic or immediate need situation entering 5 numbers to open may present an issue.
But I would rather have it open every time and not ...maybe it will open.

I looked at amazon and there is one type of safe type alternative that looks interesting and has very good reviews.
Gunvault SpeedVault SV500 gun safe
http://www.amazon.com/Gunvault-SpeedVau ... s=gun+safe

EDIT....VIDEO and a cheaper place to purchase.
Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fZrScwk8VI
On-line store http://www.stormlaketactical.com/gunvau ... ack-sv500/

I see this as having the ability to mount almost anywhere with a very small footprint and easy access (no Door to manually open).

Again, I have no experience with this item nor do I have ANY experience with a biometric safe.
Just looking at what is available.

That Gunvault Speed Vault SV500 looks great. I may have to buy one.

frugaltype

Re: any suggestions on a ccw

Post by frugaltype » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:52 pm

ieee488 wrote:
TxAg wrote:CCW is a very common term.
To non-gunowners it isn't. And I thought I was familiar with most jargon.
Right, I've never heard it either.

I would suggest buying non-lead ammunition. A lot of wildlife dies of lead poisoning from eating prey killed with lead bullets.

SteveNet

Re: any suggestions on a ccw

Post by SteveNet » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:55 pm

frugaltype wrote:
ieee488 wrote:
TxAg wrote:CCW is a very common term.
To non-gunowners it isn't. And I thought I was familiar with most jargon.
Right, I've never heard it either.

I would suggest buying non-lead ammunition. A lot of wildlife dies of lead poisoning from eating prey killed with lead bullets.
Of course that would be for hunters, and not CCW holders, after all we don't use CCW type ammo for furry little animals.
Being frugal is hard to learn, but once learned is hard to stop.

reisner

Post by reisner » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:22 pm

I like my Ruger LCR very much, but I like my $9 tactical flashlight even better. There have been some recent event where one would have been better than another, and some events where neither would have helped a bit.

Topic Author
Rosco

Post by Rosco » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:31 pm

It's interesting checking out the revolvers versus the pistols among the current recommendations. Kahr p9 wasn't even on the radar and is now... as well as the great safe tips.
btw - no expert but I doubt many animals die eating animals killed by lead! Just kidding - I got what you meant. further, I would never contemplate using a ccw if the alternative to losing much of my life's saving wasn't worse... but I truly understand why you make the worthwhile reminder. Hope it never happens.

SteveNet

Post by SteveNet » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:57 pm

TxAg wrote:
SteveNet wrote:
Rosco wrote:sounds like the first thing to look at is a finger print safe. I have the big turn the knob variety. I always thought my walther p22 would be a great ccw as it's comfortable and very small, though it is very finicky on ammo, so I'd prefer a bit more assurance that when the trigger was pulled it cycled. Does ok with high velocity bullets. i'm sure most times the appearance of a gun is enough of a deterrent, but if it's not I don't know if I'd just want him to keep coming. what do the finger print safes cost? I assume those are of the size to put by your bed on a dresser, rather than multi-gun safes. S
It sounds like you already have a safe of some sort and are looking for something just for a pistol/revolver for quick access and keep the kids in the home safe from gaining access.
I have a 2cu ft fireproof safe from Sentry for about 10 yrs now that is NOT biometric. I only store my hand guns in it unloaded when I'm out of town (the one I'm not carrying).
I don't have any kids in the home at all, just me and the wife so I don't need what you are looking for for that reason.

I have read customer reviews of the biometric safes on amazon (I have never even seen one personally).
And I am troubled with some reviews saying that the safes are a bit finicky (not opening) all the time.
I do realize that some people can't tie their shoes reliably so reviews are to be viewed in that light.
That said I have never had issue with my fireproof safe with a 5 key digital entry opening in the past 10 yrs ever.
I realize that in a panic or immediate need situation entering 5 numbers to open may present an issue.
But I would rather have it open every time and not ...maybe it will open.

I looked at amazon and there is one type of safe type alternative that looks interesting and has very good reviews.
Gunvault SpeedVault SV500 gun safe
http://www.amazon.com/Gunvault-SpeedVau ... s=gun+safe

EDIT....VIDEO and a cheaper place to purchase.
Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fZrScwk8VI
On-line store http://www.stormlaketactical.com/gunvau ... ack-sv500/

I see this as having the ability to mount almost anywhere with a very small footprint and easy access (no Door to manually open).

Again, I have no experience with this item nor do I have ANY experience with a biometric safe.
Just looking at what is available.

That Gunvault Speed Vault SV500 looks great. I may have to buy one.
Even though I really don't have a need for it now, I may someday have a few grand kids romping around...So I'm strongly thinking about getting at least one if not two.
I'm glad this topic came up otherwise I would have not looked at what was available.
One for the bedroom and one for the main part of the home.
These things only seem kid proof, not to be confused with someone breaking in and taking the time to use excessive force to break into it if they knew what it was.

EDIT...I just order 2, and got a $10 discount. no tax free shipping

HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:12 pm

Is the OP really going to carry his gun around or just keep it locked up?

Just wondering.
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett

Topic Author
Rosco

Post by Rosco » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:50 pm

I have to do a lot of range time before answering that question... More likely it would allow it to be in a vehicle with me. I probably will carry some times but I really need to find the right tool. Just realized how much the Kahr would cost and am not sure wife would give me permission. S

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:18 pm

Rosco wrote:I have to do a lot of range time before answering that question... More likely it would allow it to be in a vehicle with me. I probably will carry some times but I really need to find the right tool. Just realized how much the Kahr would cost and am not sure wife would give me permission. S
Look into a Kahr CW/CM series. It is a cheaper version of the P/PM series. I've had both and you'll never notice the difference....it is in the barrel, engraving, and one MIM (mold injected metal) part. Seriously, you'll never be a good enough shot to notice the difference in the barrel, and the other two differences are of virtually zero importance.

lostInFinance

Post by lostInFinance » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:11 pm

I recommend a 9mm for a beginner. A 45 can be difficult to shoot accurately, especially in real world conditions. If you use a 22, you run the risk that your target might survive. I'ld recommend getting metal over polymer. Light-weight plastic may seem easier to carry, but a heavier weapon will have less recoil, so you're more likely to hit your target.

AnesBH

Post by AnesBH » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:56 am

Seecamp makes a finely built pocket .380- the Rolex of CCW imo but some will want a larger caliber. For them a Rohrbaugh 9mm might be a good choice.

This PDF might help...

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... m&hl=en_US

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:00 am

Dan999 wrote:I tried many weapons and decided on the S-W 642 revolver.
Simple to operate, no jams and with a laser sight it works for me.

Please attend an NRA basic pistol class. An attorney once told a class, only shoot if you have to, after giving a warning, don't say anything until you have a lawyer, and be prepared to spend a large portion of your life savings to defend yourself.

The class will give you lots to think about and if it is at a gun store, you can shoot different types of pistols.
I liked the Glock, but I was sure to get my hand injured witht the recoil of the slide. Most people do not have this problem.
Plus it was easy to show my wife. Just point it and shoot it. No safety, no loading, no racking it.

So try them, get trained, practice and get a holster. In have in waistband and non inside waistband holsters.
Be careful, keep it locked in a quick open safe.

Many places have signs that do not allow you to carry even with a CCW. Schools, post offices malls, court houses etc.
I agree 100% with a training class. There is a lot of responsibility that goes with carrying a concealed weapon. It would be easy to run into problems. For example, you must disclose that you have concealed weapon if ever approached by a police officer. If you fail to disclose that your are carrying a concealed weapon, you are subject to a citation. I was stopped for a traffic violation once and the policeman asked if I was carrying a weapon which I was not at the time. The CCP is noted on your drivers license in our state. Also, laws vary by state and if you intend to carry in another state, you need to know their law.

The legal aspects of owning a gun and using it in self defense are tricky and a training class can help you understand this.

I own a S&W 38 which is fine for home or auto, but I would like to have a lighter gun for carry situations which are rare for me.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:08 am

Everyone keeps saying how a training class is important. I don't disagree, but I'm unaware of any states that will issue such a permit without a mandatory, typically 8 hour, class. Are there any?

That's not to say that an NRA class wouldn't help - it would probably be far better than the mandatory class your state has to offer.

JT

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:25 am

Off-topic comments deleted by admin Alex. We have had to remove several such posts.

deanbrew

Post by deanbrew » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:27 am

For a quick-access pistol safe, look at various models made by Gunvault. I've had one for a decade under my bed, holding a 9mm CZ pistol with laser sights. It has four indents for your fingers and you "type" in a code you choose and the front door springs open. I can have my pistol in a second, yet it is not available to kids or thieves. My kids are old enough now, and trained to use firearms, but it was very useful when they were young.

As for a carry gun, you have several options. I have both a S&W 642 .38 special snubnose revolver and a Ruger LCP .380 pistol. Both have Crimson Trace laser grips. As you can tell, I'm a fan of laser sights. I have pocket holsters for both, and you absolutely should use a pocket holster for a pocket pistol. Some people choose to carry larger pistols, and it can be done, but I've never found a way to do so comfortably that works with the clothes I typically wear. And FWIW, I don't like Glocks, though lots of people do. I've shot a few in the past, but just never warmed to them. If you do find you like Glocks, there are lots of similar pistols made by other manufacturers.

As for manual safeties, like the OP, I had always had hunting rifles and shotguns that had safeties before I started buying handguns. Revolvers don't have safeties, because you either need to cock the hammer (if single-action) or pull the trigger through a long deliberate pull (if double-action), so a safety isn't necessary. A pistol will either have a manual safety or a long, hard trigger pull.

As an aside, from a financial perspective, I can't think of any purchases I've made other than firearms where the value has increased rather than decreased. That's not to say I look at buying and owning guns as an investment, and a new firearm will certainly depreciate a bit at first before starting to appreciate (at least in nominal terms). But unlike every other consumer item I can think of, most of the guns I own are worth more than what I paid for them years ago.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:28 am

bottlecap wrote:Everyone keeps saying how a training class is important. I don't disagree, but I'm unaware of any states that will issue such a permit without a mandatory, typically 8 hour, class. Are there any?
In Arizona one can concealed carry, or open carry, without a permit, but if you want a permit then the class is required. The no-permit concealed carry began in 2010. Getting a permit will allow reciprocity with other states, although I recently read that Nevada has denied reciprocity because they deemed the Arizona training requirement inadequate. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_i ... s_by_state
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 14-time loser

eddiejov55

Post by eddiejov55 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:54 am

Look into the Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II (.45) or the M&P Shield 9mm. I like them both -- but certainly give the edge to the Kimber .45. I think it is very difficult to beat the feel of a 1911 .45 for comfort and accuracy. Just my opinion, but that combined with the laser grip really gives an edge to the Kimber .45.

whomever

Post by whomever » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:57 am

Everyone keeps saying how a training class is important. I don't disagree, but I'm unaware of any states that will issue such a permit without a mandatory, typically 8 hour, class. Are there any?
Washington state has no training requirement or test at all. Logically, you'd expect all kind of problems from that. Empirically, I don't see any, i.e. I don't see cases where a CPL (what WA calls CCW) holder does something wrong out of ignorance of the law. Permit holders do occasionally do bad things - I recall a few years ago where a frat president engaged in a drive by of a rival frat soon after getting a permit - but I don't think it's likely a class would have helped. WA has had shall issue since the early 1960's, so I expect any widespread problems would have surfaced by now.

Utah required a class - IIRC, it took an hour or maybe two.

But classes are good - many bogleheads can probably swing a week at Gunsite or one of the similar places; if you can, you should (and might even enjoy it).

FinanceGeek

Post by FinanceGeek » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:30 pm

I'm kinda old school, so my advice is to avoid any quick access type safe that requires batteries to operate. VLine and perhaps others make some with a mechanical simplex lock. Keeps the kiddos out, but no concern about battery life or having your fingerprints detected under stress, when wet, allowing multiple authorized users to access, etc.

http://www.vlineind.com/Products.php

N1CKV

Post by N1CKV » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:30 pm

I have carried a variety...
Glock 22 (full size .40)
Glock 26 (sub-compact 9)
Glock 19 (compact 9)
S&W 442
S&W Shield 9

They all have their place. The Glock 22 and 19 are both not going to pass strict scrutiny with out some serious considerations for wardrobe to accommodate.
The Glock 26 works wonderful as an ankle gun (a little heavy though) but is best in the waistband, I like a leather Galco holster for this.
The 442 is great for pocket carry in shorts or slacks, I use a Uncle Mike's pro version pocket holster, the pro is thicker than the consumer model, it can be found at a law enforcement supply house. It also works as an ankle gun that is much lighter than the Glock.
The S&W Shield is my current favorite, it can be carried Outside or inside waistband, ankle, SmartCarry holster or ankle, all without issues.

WendyW

Post by WendyW » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:50 pm

BigFoot48 wrote:I bought a Ruger LCP 380, with laser, for a CC weapon, should I ever want or need to do that, which has yet to occur. It is small and light, and even my wife with some arthritis in her hands, can pull the slide, and hit a target at 15'. The laser really helps with this small gun. Not a fun gun to shoot, but will function well and fits easily in a pocket.
This ^

Lots of viable CCW pistols have been mentioned here: S&W Shield, Kahr CM9, Glock 19/26 , S&W 642...

But I believe that where high reliability, good accuracy, light weight, small size, and low price meet is the Ruger LCP with a factory laser, which retails under $400 (if you can find one).

Topic Author
Rosco

Post by Rosco » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:47 pm

You make a convincing case including the picture, but it looks tiny. I'm definitely checking the xd springfield, s&W Shield, kahr cw9. some reason can't get on with the revolvers, though the Judge would be great for house. Thanks to all for your insights. S

deanbrew

Post by deanbrew » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:37 am

Rosco wrote:You make a convincing case including the picture, but it looks tiny. I'm definitely checking the xd springfield, s&W Shield, kahr cw9. some reason can't get on with the revolvers, though the Judge would be great for house. Thanks to all for your insights. S
That's exactly what mine looks like with the laser. And it IS tiny. That's what makes it easy to slip in my pocket (with light-weight pocket holster). There are always tradeoffs between size, weight, power, ease of handling and recoil. That means there is no "right" answer for everyone.

For carrying, I like small and light, which means it has a small grip and considerable recoil due to the low weight. That means it's a poor choice for target practice or plinking. I shoot mine occasionally to ensure functionality and familiarity, but usually only one mag at a time. As the saying goes, "carried a lot, shot a little". I have other, larger, pistols and revolvers I use for target practice, with a variety of sights.

Other people figure out how to carry larger, heavier pistols through the use of proper holsters, clothing and technique. And there's no denying that a 9mm has more power than a .380 or .38 special. From a consumer standpoint, I've been most pleased with the CZ, Ruger and S&W handguns I've bought and/or used. Less so with Taurus (from a quality standpoint) and Glock (from a design standpoint). I've never shot a Kahr or Springfield, though they are both known to be good brands.

The models you mention are all (I believe) in the "compact" size group, which means they are larger than subcompact pocket pistols, yet smaller than full size ones. I know the S&W Shield is getting rave reviews from owners and testers. I'm not knowledgeable about all of Kahr's offerings, and they seem to have a bewildering variety. I would suggest you really compare individual models regarding length, height, width and weight. That will allow you to compare similar offerings.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:16 am

I have an LCP; and the one thing that made it much more enjoyable to shoot was installing a 13# slide spring from Wolff. The factory spring I believe is rated at 9#.

The stiffer spring really soaks up the recoil and the gun has fired hundreds of rounds since with no reliability issues.

The spring is cheap and is a drop-in installation. It's made a world of difference and I can shoot the LCP all day now.

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:01 am

I carry a S&W 637 Chiefs Special with an exposed hammer. Ms G. shoots single action so a shrouded revolver would not help.

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:45 am

The Ruger LCP (pistol) does come in 22 caliber as does the Ruger LCR (revolver). I personally do not carry a weapon but don't under estimate the lowly 22. North American Arms make some tiny 22 revolvers. I own their Black Widow with 22LR and 22 magnum cylinders. 22LR ammo is still very affordable, not so much 22 magnum. I own many firearms, latest being a Henry 22 lever action rifle with octagon barrel, fun to shoot, looks like a cowboy gun. I first got interested in firearms when we had bear problems at our cabin, bought a 12 gauge pump Mossberg shotgun and a 30-06 Remington bolt action for that purpose and deer hunting. Hardly ever shoot them. BTW, I have been reading lately that bear spray is more effective than a firearm in preventing bear attack injuries or death. Never spray your tent with bear spray, the smell actually attracts bears.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

deanbrew

Post by deanbrew » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:32 am

According to Ruger's website, the LCP (Light Carry Pistol) is NOT available in .22, but the LCR (Light Carry Revolver) is. FWIW, though, I disagree that .22LR is a good choice for either a carry or home defense gun. I am hesitant to get graphic regarding pertinent issues on this forum, but anybody considering buying a self defense firearm should visit dedicated gun forums and read about bullet diameter, energy, penetration and stopping power. The .22LR falls far short on most accounts.

Having said that, I'm a huge .22LR fan for plinking and practice. I bought two .22LR Henry lever action rifles within the past year, including one with the octagonal barrel and one with the round barrel. They are affordable, made in the US, have slick actions and are just plain fun.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:15 am

Rosco wrote:You make a convincing case including the picture, but it looks tiny. I'm definitely checking the xd springfield, s&W Shield, kahr cw9. some reason can't get on with the revolvers, though the Judge would be great for house. Thanks to all for your insights. S

For a while I too considered the Judge, but no more.

For home use, the shot pellets are fewer than from a home-defense shotgun, and the more potent .45 round is less accurate than the 1911. As a CCW (this topic) it weights as much as a 1911. So better home defense weapons are available, and smaller CCWs are available.

"Here Come da Judge: Taurus .45 Colt/.410 Bore Revolvers"
http://www.chuckhawks.com/taurus_judge.htm

Above author's opinion applies to multiple .45/.410 products, not just the Judge.

"The Worst New Products of 2011"
http://www.chuckhawks.com/column65_wors ... s_2011.htm

The Judge's best use seems to be as a truck gun and loaded with birdshot for snake control. (A replacement for the no longer available Handy-Gun---12" barrel, smooth bore .410 or 28 gauge, pistol handle.)

"The Taurus Judge Vs. The Box O' Truth"
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

Above review is of the 2.5" Judge and is acceptable for snake control. The 3" Judge only adds more birdshot and 2 additional 000 pellets.

After reading above and similar reviews, I noticed that publications where advertising is accepted provide less negative reviews of the Judge. (Finding them is left as a student exercise.) So I became skeptical of all positive Judge reviews.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:39 am

deanbrew wrote:According to Ruger's website, the LCP (Light Carry Pistol) is NOT available in .22, but the LCR (Light Carry Revolver) is. FWIW, though, I disagree that .22LR is a good choice for either a carry or home defense gun. I am hesitant to get graphic regarding pertinent issues on this forum, but anybody considering buying a self defense firearm should visit dedicated gun forums and read about bullet diameter, energy, penetration and stopping power. The .22LR falls far short on most accounts.

Having said that, I'm a huge .22LR fan for plinking and practice. I bought two .22LR Henry lever action rifles within the past year, including one with the octagonal barrel and one with the round barrel. They are affordable, made in the US, have slick actions and are just plain fun.
You are correct, Ruger LCP comes in center fire only (I was thinking SR22) and of course 22LR does not have the stopping power of higher calibers. More people are killed by 22 than any other caliber but that is probably because there are more of them out there. I do not carry but if I did I would want something with more stopping power than a 22. A 22 would be fine for a back up gun. BTW, I bought a speed loader from Henry for my 22. It is a great way to store rounds and makes loading much easier.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

WHL

Post by WHL » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:12 pm

I read about half of the first page, then skipped through the rest.

First, to answer your question: it depends on your body type. Can you conceal the fat double stack of a G19? If so, look into it. It's my carry weapon of choice. About 6000 rounds through it and not one failure of any kind. Glock makes single stack weapons, but if I was going to go single, I'd go to my backup weapon - 1911. Nice single stack, easy to conceal, tons of varieties and options. 1911's can go from a few hundred dollars to a small house - do your homework :)

Second - stopping power is a myth. Typically, shooting someone with a .45ACP is not going to make an immediate difference over shooting someone with a 9mm. There are external circumstances, like clothing, that can interfere, but in general shot placement is key - not caliber. Plus, a typical 9mm is going to have around double the capacity.

Third, I saw some talk about home defense weapons. A 18" pump shotgun filled with 00 buck is most likely going to be the best remedy. It's what I keep. Round in the chamber, safety on. The sound of racking a shotgun is not going to scare off a seasoned criminal who's in your house. Shotguns don't hit everything in the room, though, you still have to be a decent shot. At 10', 00 buck may make a 3-4" shot circle (don't quote me on those figures).

Finally, and most importantly - do not lock up HD gun when you're home. Do not hide them from your kids. Show them to your kids, explain the dangers, take them shooting with you, get them involved in competitions, get them professional training. Hiding things from kids does NOT protect them from them, it usually only makes them more curious. I think we all remember our childhood. I know what happened when my parents told me I wasn't allowed to drink or smoke :mrgreen:

My range rents weapons, so if yours doesn't, call around and see if other local ranges do.

WendyW

Post by WendyW » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:24 pm

Rosco wrote:You make a convincing case including the picture, but it looks tiny. I'm definitely checking the xd springfield, s&W Shield, kahr cw9.
Tiny is a good thing when it comes to CCW.

A pistol small enough that you can carry it on 90% of occasions (pocket, ankle, iwb, owb), is better than a medium size gun that you can only carry 60% of the time.

YttriumNitrate

Post by YttriumNitrate » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:57 pm

Another thing to consider is how far a concealed carry weapon needs to be accurate. There's not much need to pay for a handgun with 10 meter competition precision when concealed weapons are typically used against targets ~5 feet away.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:10 pm

Bernd wrote:Off-topic comments deleted by admin Alex. We have had to remove several such posts.
I removed some off-topic posts.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

mike143

Post by mike143 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:17 pm

Don't forget the appropriate ammo. I have chosen Federal HST 147gr JHP (P9HST2) for 9mm arms.

More reading for information overload: ar15.com: Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:54 pm

Grasshopper wrote:I carry a S&W 637 Chiefs Special with an exposed hammer. Ms G. shoots single action so a shrouded revolver would not help.
I own the same. I like the simplicity.

Topic Author
Rosco

Post by Rosco » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:31 pm

wendyw - my wife thought that was worth a look. small hands. I can't wait to see it to. looks like it would fit well in the pocket or pant leg. she likes the idea of getting some leisure shooting. vline drawer safe was nice addition for consideration as well. Thanks all, S

TT

Post by TT » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:13 am

For those that like ballistic stats
Chart that has many variables you can enter
Cartridge type, type of bullet, bullet weight
When done entering info select shoot then upper right hand corner view statistics chart

http://ballisticscalculator.winchester.com/

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:59 pm

Cherokee8215 wrote:
Grasshopper wrote:I carry a S&W 637 Chiefs Special with an exposed hammer. Ms G. shoots single action so a shrouded revolver would not help.
I own the same. I like the simplicity.
Don't know if it was the same gun, but a friend let me shoot his light-weight, light-colored (aluminum frame?) S&W .38 at the range. The recoil was wicked and the trigger pull was heavy. It was much easier to fire and hit the target in single action, but still would not want to practice with that gun.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

lostInFinance

Post by lostInFinance » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:58 pm

WHL wrote:
Second - stopping power is a myth. Typically, shooting someone with a .45ACP is not going to make an immediate difference over shooting someone with a 9mm. There are external circumstances, like clothing, that can interfere, but in general shot placement is key - not caliber. Plus, a typical 9mm is going to have around double the capacity.
I agree that a 9mm to the head is usually better than a 45acp to center mass and a 9mm to center mass is always better than a .45acp that misses the target altogether. However, if you're comparing a 9mm to .45acp that both hit center mass, the .45 has better odds of damaging a vital organ.

SteveNet

Post by SteveNet » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:40 am

I have done much reading on which caliber is the best, I'm no expert on the issue.
Given any caliber of good size, accuracy is the most important for not only efficiency but for the safety of others as well.
.38, .40, 9mm, .45, etc only as good as the aim and mindset.

mike143

Post by mike143 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:36 am

Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:19 am

This thread has run its course and is locked (no added value). See: Forum Policy

To explain, the OP's question about a weapon has been answered; we're now discussing ammo and shot placement (different subjects).
Locked Topics

Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.
I'll reopen the thread if someone wants to continue discussing the weapon.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.