What are your top companies for customer service?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
texasdiver

Re: What are your top companies for customer service?

Post by texasdiver » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:36 pm

Saving$ wrote:REI, Amazon, Costco, TMobile and USAA.

What is really interesting about this list is that the following companies which have been mentioned a few time: REI, Amazon, Costco, TMobile, Nordstrom, Alaska Air are all based in Seattle. Seems like a higher than average concentration.

Starbucks is also based there, and they have always treated me well, but for some reason they did not come to mind when I thought of my answer to the question.
I've also noticed the connection to Seattle. I suspect some business students somewhere or magazines have come up with all sorts of theories as to why Scandinavian Seattle produces so many companies with world-famous customer service.

I am a bit surprised by all the love for the big banks here. I have had mediocre to bad experience with both Chase and B of A, both in terms of credit card and checking accounts. I still have the B of A credit card because it is my Alaska Airlines mileage card but wouldn't have it otherwise. I still have problems with their online banking and web site that cause me to tear my hair out.

harikaried

Post by harikaried » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:46 pm

texasdiver wrote:I've also noticed the connection to Seattle
Interesting that you bring that up. My wife and I just made a trip up to Seattle and went on Bill Speidel's Underground Tour. The tour takes you under Seattle where the original city was built, burned down, rebuit, then with the new city built on top.

Bill Speidel wrote "Sons of the Profits" which covers Seattle's history, and the tourguide/storyteller talks about how Seattle has always been about making money for cheap while satisfying the needs of the time. (Lumber for San Francisco, Mining packages for gold rush, "seamstress" needs for local workers, sidewalks for businesses, etc.)

Perhaps that type of culture has made its way into those companies listed.

ryuns

Post by ryuns » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:47 pm

Yeah, gees, all of my list (of big companies, excluding the local ones) concentrates in Seattle (T-Mobile, REI, Amazon) or Texas (USAA, Southwest Air). Sheesh. I suppose a huge number of services that I used are California and I just have no interaction with them in a customer service-heavy situation, so maybe that's a little unfair to my home state. There are also examples like my municipal power company that's consistency ranked among the top in the country that isn't readily available to other.

Ooooh, Trader Joes and In-n-Out Burger! Score two for the Golden State!
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton

wilpat

Post by wilpat » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:05 pm

I've also noticed the connection to Seattle.
I used to live in Seattle and I remember the summer of 1965 was particularly nice -- it came on a weekend!
Contrary to the belief of many, profit is not a four letter word!

HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:06 pm

Wegmans Food Markets
Geico
Last edited by HardKnocker on Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:48 pm

Les Schwab.
Nordstrom.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:01 pm

USAA
Navy Federal
Local restaurants (including a Pollo Loco operated by Central American immigrants who have terrific pride of ownership down to flowers on the tables -- the way McDonalds franchises operated decades ago)
Small inns / B&Bs
Marriott
BMW Welt in Munich

travellight

Post by travellight » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:08 pm

Costco
Verizon
Lands End
Kaiser Permanente
Geico

PaulOnOrcas

Post by PaulOnOrcas » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:28 pm

Costco
Amazon
In-n-Out Burger
Apple
Alaska Airlines (as an elite)
Hilton (the whole collection of hotels, as an elite)
Tom Bihn
Red Oxx
Etymotic Research
Rajawongse Clothier

atwood

Post by atwood » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:13 pm

Publix. What a great place to shop for groceries. And from what I can tell, a very good place to work.They employ the disabled and elderly, etc. Based in Florida, not Seattle like many others on this list. My understanding is that the founders were quite religious--they remained closed on Sundays long after all their competitors. And you don't have to have some kind of membership card to get the discounts.

Starbucks. My first name can be spelled two ways. At a San Francisco store, the clerk asked which way I spelled it before writing it on the cup.

Florida Telco Credit Union, now 121. They have earned my patronage time and time again.

SurfCityBill

Post by SurfCityBill » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:41 pm

Wahoo's Fish Taco's - Gave me a free soda refill once. Oh wait. They all do that.

SkolVikes7

Post by SkolVikes7 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:56 pm

+1 for USAA

nonnie

Post by nonnie » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:53 pm

Bed Bath & Beyond. They take back anything, anytime, no questions asked. I recently returned a 3 year old waffle iron (hated it from the start, never used it and just hadn't gotten around to returning it) and a 2 year old Dustbuster. Plus they have $5 off coupons floating around all the time and 20% off coupons that never expire despite the expiration date. I try to buy as many home appliance and household things as I can there.

Nonnie
This post may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:52 pm

Some folks have mentioned Wegmans, of which I am a big fan. I'm sure their customer service is great, but I've never had a reason to deal with them. Best supermarket ever. :D

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:06 pm

Since this thread revived, I got to thinking and really need to add Airtran. I can't say the same for my experience with Southwest, who bought them out and now owns Airtran.

tylerdurden

Post by tylerdurden » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:59 pm

Amazon
Vanguard
Discover (Card and Bank)
Chase branches (the 2 branches I have frequented in 2 different states)
"The things you own end up owning you." -TD

Hat

Post by Hat » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:20 am

USAA
Costco
Amazon
LL Bean
American Express
Southwest Airlines

mike143

Post by mike143 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:35 am

stlutz wrote:Amica Insurance.
+1, their chat service is stellar. A simple chat question of whether a moving truck rental is cover is answered concisely. Also I have a local tire (and general maintenance) shop that is honest and fair. The places that are slightly cheaper are neither of these.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.

mike143

Post by mike143 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:40 am

mike143 wrote:
stlutz wrote:Amica Insurance.
+1, their chat service is stellar. A simple chat question of whether a moving truck rental is cover is answered concisely. Also I have a local tire (and general maintenance) shop that is honest and fair. The places that are slightly cheaper are neither of these.
The local GM/Honda dealership treats me fair and honest because of our relationship but I don't see them doing the same for other customers. Often recommending nitrogen fill and excessive maintenance.

There are very few companies today that make me happy to spend my money.

Niko

Post by Niko » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:42 am

Two that others have mentioned already in this thread:

REI and
Amazon

And one more I didn't see mentioned:

Les Schwab Tires. Mostly out west, not nationwide. But if you use them to buy and repair tires, you know what I'm talking about.

mike143

Post by mike143 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:48 am

Niko wrote:Amazon
In my experience Amazon chat is worthless but I have always got satisfaction when calling in.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:00 am

Agree with many of the others, such as Nordstrom in particular (helpful sales clerks - usually - and excellent return policy if needed).

And also agree about LL Bean, with an example: Friend had a pair of chinos that were about 20 years old (looked possibly older to me, nice and "comfy", meaning a bit frayed at the cuffs, pocket edges, but it was an "old favorite" for weekends at home, etc.).
Then the zipper wouldn't work.
He sent them back, requesting a replacement. Without comment, a new pair, same size, similar style, was sent to him.

And, surprisingly perhaps, Whole Foods. ANY problem, complaint? Money back without any challenge, often with a new replacement item also.
"Not fresh enough? We are very sorry, and here is a credit for your cost, and would you like another package now also?"
(And also suprisingly, they aren't always the priciest.)

RM

HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:23 am

WalMart.

I have never had a problem returning any merchandise. The employees have always been friendly and helpful.
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett

frugaltype

Post by frugaltype » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:40 am

Rexindex wrote:Amazon
I called amazon 5 times yesterday. Four times I got our friends in India or somewhere who were totally clueless and who disconnected me, argued, or put me on permanent hold when I asked for a supervisor. Once I got a native English speaker who knew what she was doing. I had her close my account, after years of having an account and literally hundreds of purchases of books.

AMICA has wonderful customer service.

snyder66

Post by snyder66 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:46 am

I have never had a problem returning any merchandise. The employees have always been friendly and helpful.

And grossly underpaid, underappreciated, without benefits..

beyou

Post by beyou » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:08 pm

mlipps wrote:LL Bean and Ally.
Would have agreed on LL Bean in the past, except had a bad experience with them.
Their catalogs and website are explicit about return policy.
You can return anything anytime, period.
They even had some old sign from their original store with some folksy
comment about the customer being entitled to lifetime satisfaction for every purchase.

Well I bought some items that they later made of much better quality.
So I returned a number of similar items, not all at once but over time,
and EXCHANGED for the newer better quality items. During this period
i continued to buy other products, and never requested a refund.

At one point they called to discourage me from utilizing the anything anytime return policy,
reluctantly agreed to replace whatever I had recently returned, but left a vague feeling that I
was somehow no longer entitled to this customer service. They were rude.

As far as I'm concerned, I put up with paying double the price of local retailers,
in part for their return policy. If it's not real, can and will shop elsewhere.

beyou

Post by beyou » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:10 pm

My wife loves Bed Bath and Beyond for household stuff (small appliances, towels, anything for kitchen or bath).
They have reasonable prices and no questions asked returns.