New Kitchen Range suggestions

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
runnergirl

New Kitchen Range suggestions

Post by runnergirl »

I am looking for a new kitchen range/oven - 30 inches. Any recommendations for brand? I have a gas range/oven right now - GE Profile Performance. I heard it's better to have gas stove-top, electric oven. Any other features to look for? I am a foodie and can use something high performance.
THY4373

Re: New Kitchen Range suggestions

Post by THY4373 »

runnergirl wrote:I am looking for a new kitchen range/oven - 30 inches. Any recommendations for brand? I have a gas range/oven right now - GE Profile Performance. I heard it's better to have gas stove-top, electric oven. Any other features to look for? I am a foodie and can use something high performance.
According to Consumer Report electric induction stoves-tops (versus the more common resistance heat) are rated higher than gas. I have had both gas and now induction and I prefer induction over gas. We have GE Profile induction stove top, GE Profile convection wall oven, and GE Profile Advantium oven and we really like them. They were installed three years ago during our kitchen renovation and have not given us any issues so far. I went with them because they were well rated by Consumer Reports at the time for reliability and performance. Not super high-end but perfect good for our purposes. I was also able to land various deals on them that saved me quite a bit of $$$. Two were purchased on Ebay when they had 30% cash back through Bing and the convection oven was purchased new from a builder on Craiglist for less than half its normal street price. All in all I basically got them for 50-60% of the normal street price.
Topic Author
runnergirl

Post by runnergirl »

Interesting. Had not considered induction. What do you like about induction over gas?
hand

Post by hand »

Check out BlueStar. I've been really happy with our gas cooktop which was somewhat reasonably priced.
I'm sure their rangetops & Ovens are nice too, but more expensive.
kitteh

Post by kitteh »

If I were getting a new stove, I'd snap up the chance to get a restored vintage gas stove. But that's just me.

Here's a 30" Wedgewood:

http://www.antiquegasstoves.com/images/ ... /stove.gif
charley

Post by charley »

runnergirl wrote: I heard it's better to have gas stove-top, electric oven.
Electric heating can be more even, and because it doesn't rely on combustion, provides a drier heat. That said, if you don't bake very much, or are satisfied with the results from your gas oven, you might not notice an advantage. Also, you may need to run a 220V line to power the new oven (ditto for the induction top) if you don't already have one.

I'll echo what THY says, and suggest Consumer Reports for their reliability ratings.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

runnergirl wrote:Interesting. Had not considered induction. What do you like about induction over gas?
Biggest advantages are less waste heat than gas or resistance heat since only the pot is being heated (the induction coils excite the atoms in the pot to cause heat, the coils themselves don't get hot). Thus the kitchen heats up less when cooking, which is important to us because wife did not want a vent over the island so we have a pop up vent which is fairly ineffective. The "burners" are more powerful on high than any gas range I have had and the low seems easier to modulate than gas (I believe CR reported this as well). I also like the flat cooking service as it is very easy to clean (though it does show every fingerprint). Since the "burners" don't heat up much themselves you don't have to worry about stuff baking on like you do with the ceramic top and resistance heat. Less indoor pollution from gas combustion (not a major deal especially with a good vent) but a bonus to me.

The negatives are you need magnetic pots or pots with magnetic inserts (not all stainless is magnetic) and there is a buzzing when cooking for the induction process on some (most in my experience) pots.