Why Can't I Bring Myself to Buy Me a Nice Watch?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
reggiesimpson

Re: Why Can't I Bring Myself to Buy Me a Nice Watch?

Post by reggiesimpson » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:40 pm

And just how many watches have you lost in your life?

SP-diceman

Post by SP-diceman » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:54 pm

I’ve only bought like $25 to $50 Timex’s my whole life.
The last one broke and I’ve had trouble buying any watch.

We now live in a world where there’s a clock in my car,
on my computer, on my TV, on my telephone,and every room in the house.

Even when I drive somewhere, my GPS has the time and estimated time of arrival.

It has nothing to do with costs.
Time has become ubiquitous.

Thanks
SP-diceman

Van-Guard23

Post by Van-Guard23 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:27 pm

OP...totally understand the desire for an "adult" watch. I too, as many of the posters here, still wear my Casio a majority of the time but wear my Tag Heuer Aquaracer (granted not as expensive as a Rolex or even certain Omegas) for special occasions...incidentally, my wife bought my Tag Heuer for me during Mother's Day of all days! I told her I was eying a specific model and she got it for me out of the blue.
My advice...get it...and to make you feel better, get the wife a matching one! You both deserve it...consider it a splurge and since you've been wanting it for years, now is as good a time as any to get it...provided you get it on sale of course :D

LH

Post by LH » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:54 pm

You have not bought it, because you really do not want it.

You do not want it, because really you would not get utility from it. You would likely on average, just consider it a stupid wasteful purchase.

The idea of buying it is appealing and has utility, but the actual buying of it would not generate utility, at least not for long, if at all.

This kind of buy something for utility, that really ends up not giving utility, is human nature, then its on to the next purchase, which ends up not really giving utility, or if it does, not for long.

You likely just realize this ahead of time, and therefor you do not buy the watch.

LH

PS That is why I do not buy things. now if you had 8 figures, you may buy it, or you may still not. Sam Walton still had his truck right?

ukgaz

Post by ukgaz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:02 pm

I'd get the watch. Myself I want an Omega Planet Ocean which goes for around $4k. Can I afford it? Not yet. Not even close. But I put a bit away each month until I can

LeyEily

Post by LeyEily » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:46 pm

That's a whole lot of years to want something. You're a grown man & you should treat yourself to the watch. If you think your financial stability will be fine after the purchase then why not? Don't think about how "it's just a watch" or try to justify the real value of having this watch. If you can afford it with no detrimental consequences then go for it.

saverocity

Post by saverocity » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:12 pm

One thing to consider is that once you 'invest' in that new watch you should get it insured. My first decent watch was a Panerai I received from work, retailed about $5K, and I have since managed to lose it, I hope against hope that it is down the back of the sofa and I will be reunited again one day.

I bought a new Panerai recently, and how you buy it is very important too. My current model retails at over $10K however, by buying Grey Market instead of White Market you can save a decent amount immediately, plus you can save even more by using cashback websites and coupon codes. I reduced the price of my purchase by $3.3K by doing this, meaning that if I now resell it I should be able to make a profit on the used market because these models hold their value incredibly well.

I did a write up about how I achieved the discount on my blog, but not sure if it is proper to link to it here, bottom line, don't pay for it with Cash in person unless you can get that discount down to the numbers I am talking about.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:09 pm

saverocity wrote:I did a write up about how I achieved the discount on my blog, but not sure if it is proper to link to it here, bottom line, don't pay for it with Cash in person unless you can get that discount down to the numbers I am talking about.

I sure would like to know how you did that. People post links all the time so can you post your link?

saverocity

Post by saverocity » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:42 pm

TravelforFun wrote:
saverocity wrote:I did a write up about how I achieved the discount on my blog, but not sure if it is proper to link to it here, bottom line, don't pay for it with Cash in person unless you can get that discount down to the numbers I am talking about.

I sure would like to know how you did that. People post links all the time so can you post your link?

OK here is the link: http://saverocity.com/blog/cashback-and ... bigcrumbs/ please feel free to ask me any questions about the purchase or process. Cheers,
Matt

rocket

Post by rocket » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:31 am

My $300 Accutron looks much better than a Rolex.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:31 am

Thank you very much saverocity,

fatlittlepig

Post by fatlittlepig » Wed May 22, 2013 5:42 pm

Jesus Christ just buy it. but as everyone knows my 20 dollar timex keeps better time and I wear it in the shower, while running and never take it off.
fatlittlepig

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Wed May 22, 2013 8:15 pm

SP-diceman wrote:Time has become ubiquitous.

And memory is cheap. (1TB for $70).

gerrym51

Post by gerrym51 » Wed May 22, 2013 8:22 pm

i buy wal-mart watches . 6.95 instead of replacing batteries i just buy new watch. get one about every 2 years

Qtman

Post by Qtman » Wed May 22, 2013 9:12 pm

Good grief, go ahead and buy the Rolex. It sounds like you have managed your investments and debt well. I bought a used one in London years ago and enjoy it every time I wear it, it is a fine piece of engineering.

I think of my mother who always said, "Buy me flowers now, while I can enjoy them, don't have any at my funeral." Flowers fade faster than anything, but people enjoy them.

You can't take it with you.
Don’t wear yourself out trying to get rich; be wise enough to control yourself. | Wealth can vanish in the wink of an eye. It can seem to grow wings and fly away | like an eagle. - King Solomon

reisner

Post by reisner » Wed May 22, 2013 9:48 pm

At age 67, the watch I love best is my new Timex Indiglo. $28 off Amazon. More eyecatching than a Rolex.

Qtman

Post by Qtman » Thu May 23, 2013 7:28 pm

I would love to know for all those dissing buying a Rolex what they drive, where they eat out, what types of vacations do they take, what hobbies do they have, etc, etc.

If you want a $20 Timex, buy one. If you want a $8,000+ Rolex and you can afford it, buy it. Charity is great, but the people that make the Rolex also need to eat and are highly trained professionals.

I find the who can be the "frugalist" argument a little tiring.
Don’t wear yourself out trying to get rich; be wise enough to control yourself. | Wealth can vanish in the wink of an eye. It can seem to grow wings and fly away | like an eagle. - King Solomon

sambb

Post by sambb » Thu May 23, 2013 8:39 pm

If you like the watch, buy it. However - here is a lesson I have learned several times - a great deal on price is still a terrible deal overall IF you dont use the item. If you dont use it, the item goes from being a great deal into a complete waste of money. So, doesnt matter how good of a deal it is, if you aren't going to use it. I used to do that with software, kids toys, gadgets, power tools, computer peripherals, even an airline ticket or two.

Schu

Post by Schu » Thu May 23, 2013 10:18 pm

I have a ten year old Rolex Explorer II that I received as a gift. Rolex is not my sensibility (my 2003 MT Accord might define that best), but this watch has its charms. Once I got past the Rolexness of it, I think I started to think of it as a simple, beautiful luxury. It has certainly grown on me.

I still wear my 2 Casio Atomic watches more than my Rolex because I like to know what time it is, but a Rolex isn't about that. If you want it, get it. No one else's purchases make much sense to me, and I suspect mine make no sense to them.

I wonder if you might experience buyer's remorse initially. I suspect that remorse will fade once the watch becomes your normal, and that it might be more than a watch to you some day.

Ted

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Fri May 24, 2013 2:23 pm

I suggest a 2 step program. Buy an interesting watch such as the fully automatic orient "mako". If you are still craving the Rolex after 3 months, go for it!

I consider the "Mako" the watch for bogle heads. It is a high quality beautiful watch that is not expensive (Amazon $130 currently) It is a automatic watch (self winding - never needs batteries). Here are some links.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f306/orien ... 86799.html. Great review with plenty of photos. Also check out reviews at amazon.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/offici ... 68233.html
++The Official Orient Mako Club!+++
C'mon, folks. It's an affordable classic. I call it the best automatic watch $100 can buy. You love it. I love it. It's a leading contender for most recommended watch on the WUS Affordables Sub-Forum. It's the Orient Mako.

So, post 'em up. Let's see your Makos!

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Fri May 24, 2013 3:20 pm

I like the idea of letting your wife in on your dirty little secret. If she buys you one that is great. If not, go ahead.

I once wanted a particular woodworking tool I did not need and while a whole lot cheaper than a Rolex (but a lot!) at the time we were really far from a 7 figure portfolio (still not there). I wanted it but had a hard time spending the money because I really did not need it.

My lovely wife told me only professionals have to justify the cost of their tools. There was easily enough money in the checking account. Go buy it.

I take my watch off at the gym and put it in my pocket when I change. One day last year I forgot to put it back on and when I pulled out my keys I guess it spilled out on the ground. Part way home I noticed I was not wearing it and it was not in my pocket. I went back and right where I parked was a bunch of watch pieces. I ran over it, and by the looks of things with the open band it was lying on its side when I did so. Thankfully it was a $40 Timax Ironman from Target.

If you get a Rolex don't do this.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

rocket

Post by rocket » Fri May 24, 2013 9:29 pm

I can bring myself to buy a very nice watch. I recently bought a Accutron watch for ~$500.
I expect it to last the rest of my life. My Accutron is the best functional and beauty wise of any watch I have ever seen.

Leemiller

Post by Leemiller » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:43 pm

Just buy the watch already! I thought I delyed gratification by waiting several years before getting a Cartier watch, which my husband was happy to buy me. I enjoy wearing it and for those that say watches have been surpassed by i-phones, I think you can discretely look at a watch in a meeting and that just doesn't work with an i-phone. Personally, I also find getting things I want motivates me to achieve more in my career and making more means I can save more in the long term.

fatlittlepig

Post by fatlittlepig » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:53 pm

does the cartier watch make you feel better about yourself?
overpriced status symbol but that's just my opinion.

Leemiller wrote:Just buy the watch already! I thought I delyed gratification by waiting several years before getting a Cartier watch, which my husband was happy to buy me. I enjoy wearing it and for those that say watches have been surpassed by i-phones, I think you can discretely look at a watch in a meeting and that just doesn't work with an i-phone. Personally, I also find getting things I want motivates me to achieve more in my career and making more means I can save more in the long term.
fatlittlepig

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:38 pm

fatlittlepig wrote:
Leemiller wrote:I thought I delyed gratification by waiting several years before getting a Cartier watch, which my husband was happy to buy me.

It probably does.

Earlier today I attended a lecture by Dan Ariely. Among many other things, he described an experiment where students were asked to wear special t-shirts on campus. A half of the t-shirts featured the text "Greedy" and the other half had the text "Generous." The goal of the experiment was to evaluate the power of signaling. After walking in these t-shirts for a couple hours, the students were given additional assignments. Those who were wearing "greedy" shirts showed in the follow-up tests more greed than those who were wearing "generous" shirts.

Sounds logical, right? But here is a surprising part. The greedy/generous outcomes were the same regardless of whether the text was placed on the outside of the t-shirt, or inside. In other words, the power of the text was much stronger as a self-signaling mechanism than a purely signaling one.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:47 pm

TravelforFun wrote:I've always wanted a Rolex. Wanted it when I was 20 and now I'm 60. I have a 7-figure investment and no debts...
Every time I go to the mall with my wife, I stop at the jewelry store window and look at that watch but I can't pull the trigger and write an $8,000 check. Wife doesn't know my secret desire or she would have gotten it for me.

Just pull the trigger. You deserve it. 8-)

Like someone else mentioned, consider an excellent condition pre-owned watch and save a couple thousand dollars. Appearance-wise, the Rolex Submariner hasn't really changed a whole lot since it came out in the 1950's. Of course, only use a reputable dealer.

More Please

Post by More Please » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:09 am

Go to an independent Authorized Rolex dealer and ask for the best price he can give you on the Rolex you want, offer cash. Our jeweler then mailed it to me (we live on the border of the state) we avoided the state tax. Authorized dealers have to move a number of those watches every year to keep their Rolex dealership. I was able to cut a satisfactory deal. Watches don't mean much to me but my husband likes them.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:59 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
fatlittlepig wrote:
Leemiller wrote:I thought I delyed gratification by waiting several years before getting a Cartier watch, which my husband was happy to buy me.

It probably does.

Earlier today I attended a lecture by Dan Ariely. Among many other things, he described an experiment where students were asked to wear special t-shirts on campus. A half of the t-shirts featured the text "Greedy" and the other half had the text "Generous." The goal of the experiment was to evaluate the power of signaling. After walking in these t-shirts for a couple hours, the students were given additional assignments. Those who were wearing "greedy" shirts showed in the follow-up tests more greed than those who were wearing "generous" shirts.

Sounds logical, right? But here is a surprising part. The greedy/generous outcomes were the same regardless of whether the text was placed on the outside of the t-shirt, or inside. In other words, the power of the text was much stronger as a self-signaling mechanism than a purely signaling one.

Victoria

Too many confounding variables. Did the students choose the shirts from a pile? If so, self-selection is obvious. If not, were they actually affected by what they wore, or the fact that they were MADE to wear it? Could the "greedy t-shirt kids" be angry about being in the "greedy" group? If after wearing a "greedy" or "generous" t-shirt they had to take a test determining greedy or generous behavior, wouldn't the purpose of the test likely be fairly transparent and the subjects were answering what the experimenters wanted to hear? etc etc etc

That said, I agree with the conclusion that we are affected by what we choose to wear, drive, etc, and vice versa. I imagine Honda drivers are different than Ferrari drivers assuming the two have the same amount of wealth, but I could be wrong. Their personalities drive their purchasing decisions and I would guess that their decisions likely reinforce their personalities. I would prefer feeding into the Casio "personality" than the Rolex "personality", to the extent that stereotypes hold. And I think that goes well beyond frugality. I don't know that you can classify Casio or Timex wearers (or "non-watch" wearers) as frugal, or less wealthy. I am not sure I am all that frugal- I just have other ways I choose to spend my money.

fatlittlepig

Post by fatlittlepig » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:13 pm

My experience is that people who choose to buy $9000 Cartier watches and $700 purses tend to be materialistic and have a superiority complex. Just my opinion.
fatlittlepig

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:19 pm

Qtman wrote:I would love to know for all those dissing buying a Rolex what they drive, where they eat out, what types of vacations do they take, what hobbies do they have, etc, etc.

If you want a $20 Timex, buy one. If you want a $8,000+ Rolex and you can afford it, buy it. Charity is great, but the people that make the Rolex also need to eat and are highly trained professionals.

I find the who can be the "frugalist" argument a little tiring.

It's not a "frugalist" argument. I am not the "frugalist". The comparison with cars, food, vacations and hobbies does not hold. In all the other examples above, additional expense buys function...possibly incremental function, but still function. In the above examples you are spending more money for expectations of a better car (faster, more comfortable, more reliable, whatever), better food, more fun vacations, and higher quality hobby pursuit.

I think a poster earlier in the thread put it most eloquently when (s)he compared buying a Rolex to buying a diamond-studded television set. A Rolex is no more beautiful than a spinoff Rolex, is not a good investment (ESPECIALLY if it gets lost or stolen- plus you might want to insure it), and doesn't perform any better than a spinoff (arguably less well, since you have to be more careful with it and where you wear it). And since only an "expert" can distinguish a real one from a good fake one, unless you surround yourself with experts at very short range, you are not even buying "image".
Last edited by protagonist on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:28 pm

protagonist wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:It probably does.

Victoria

Too many confounding variables. Did the students choose the shirts from a pile? If so, self-selection is obvious. If not, were they actually affected by what they wore, or the fact that they were MADE to wear it? Could the "greedy t-shirt kids" be angry about being in the "greedy" group? If after wearing a "greedy" or "generous" t-shirt they had to take a test determining greedy or generous behavior, wouldn't the purpose of the test likely be fairly transparent and the subjects were answering what the experimenters wanted to hear? etc etc etc

Ariely is famous for clever experiments separating the variables. In this particular case, some students were wearing "greedy" or "generous" text on the inside of their t-shirts, so that no one else could see it.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

sdrone

Post by sdrone » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:19 pm

Just a note - I know several people who enjoy watch shopping on ebay. the cost savings can be significant.

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:10 pm

I know several people that claim some of the great deals on ebay are for items that have been stolen, so I'm a little wary of ebay these days. If it's too good to be true...

Another story: the crime blog in my local newspaper reported that a member of a nearby gym kept an expensive watch in his gym bag but not locked in a locker. Bye bye watch. Granted most gym locks won't stop a determined thief, but if you can afford an expensive watch, please buy a $5 lock for your gym bag/locker.

schuyler74

Post by schuyler74 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:29 pm

TravelforFun » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:00 pm wrote:I've always wanted a Rolex.

It is now Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:29 pm. Do we know if he's bought the watch yet?

Grip

Post by Grip » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:58 pm

I'm wondering if the OP will update us...

fatlittlepig wrote:My experience is that people who choose to buy $9000 Cartier watches and $700 purses tend to be materialistic and have a superiority complex. Just my opinion.

Hmm. The cheapest purse in my collection cost more than $700.

I'm not any more materialistic than the next person, but I love my handbags. And you would never know to look at my Bottega Veneta that it cost $2500 (back in 2006 - I have no idea what the current retail price is).

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:00 am

schuyler74 wrote:It is now Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:29 pm. Do we know if he's bought the watch yet?

No. Still can't pull the trigger and still monitoring everyone's advice.

fatlittlepig

Post by fatlittlepig » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:21 am

money could be better spent, just sayin

Grip wrote:I'm wondering if the OP will update us...

fatlittlepig wrote:My experience is that people who choose to buy $9000 Cartier watches and $700 purses tend to be materialistic and have a superiority complex. Just my opinion.

I'm not any more materialistic than the next person, but I love my handbags. And you would never know to look at my Bottega Veneta that it cost $2500 (back in 2006 - I have no idea what the current retail price is).
fatlittlepig

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:24 am

I'm curious, Grip.....what is it about handbags.....I understand the desire to look fabulous, but if you "like the look". what would motivate you to spend $2500 on a real Bottega Veneta rather than $250 on, say, one of these: http://wowobags.com/brand-2-c0-Bottega+Veneta.html. Or $23,500 on this: http://www.portero.com/hermes-blue-coba ... dware.html, instead of $23,500 on something that looks, feels and works essentially the same plus a Honda Accord? Even if you have the means to do so?

It isn't form since the replicas are virtually indistinguishable- I looked up a website describing how to distinguish a real from a fake Bottega and it came down to fine points in the font used on the letter "O" on the label tag. It certainly isn't function. And it is a poor investment. So what is it?

I understand an art collector buying a real Van Gogh rather than a good fake, because the real Van Gogh is a one-of-a-kind masterpiece, and potentially an excellent investment. As beautiful and creative a work as the Veneta or the Birkin or the Rolex watch may be (and I can appreciate that), they are manufactured by workers whose names we don't know and sold in relatively large numbers.

I'm not trying to be critical or judgmental...please understand that. I'm just trying to understand .
Last edited by protagonist on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leemiller

Post by Leemiller » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:02 am

That is a great classic brand. I enjoy my designer bags as well.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:48 am

Leemiller wrote:

That is a great classic brand. I enjoy my designer bags as well.

I don't see that spending $2500 on a designer bag is necessarily any sillier than spending $2500 on, say, a year or two of cable TV service, and nobody calls cable TV subscribers "shallow" or "materialistic". You could even argue that , unlike the cable service, you are paying for something substantial and durable with (hopefully) fine workmanship. But I get that cable subscribers are paying for a service, and they (arguably) cannot get the same service for much less elsewhere ("function").

I don't understand the lure of a "great classic brand", like Bottega or Rolex , per se, unless they are providing something substantial (beauty, function, investment potential) that you can't get elsewhere at a tiny fraction of the cost. Plus designer bags and watches are inviting value judgments/negative stereotypes such as the above (probably more common than the owners of such items realize), and making the owners targets for both derision and for thieves (handbags are so easy to steal).

EvelynTroy

Post by EvelynTroy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:00 pm

My Rolex story - years ago working in Saudi Arabia tons of expats had a Rolex - I really, really wanted one. I bought one just because it was gorgeous, very nice watch and wanted it - and naturally had the money.
I'm not one to spend on the latest and greatest gadgets, latest model car, etc. I send in rebates, clip coupons, etc.

I enjoyed it very much - always wore it and never regretted a moment that I spent the money on a watch (it was gold - no diamonds on the bezel). Returned to US and kind of stopped wearing it -kind of worried about crime and standing out. I sold it to a reputable local jeweler for more than I paid for it after wearing for 10 years.

Buying the Rolex will be a very personal decision - for me there are just some things for my own reasons I would like to purchase; purchase it and have not regretted it a moment. That Rolex was one of those items.

Good luck in your decision - I know what you mean about wanting a Rolex.
Evelyn

fatlittlepig

Post by fatlittlepig » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:30 pm

I make a distinction between a rolex (overpriced watch) and a $2500 purse (overpriced sack)
at least the rolex is a finely crafted mechanical instrutment that serves some purpose (although my timex keeps better time)

EvelynTroy wrote:My Rolex story - years ago working in Saudi Arabia tons of expats had a Rolex - I really, really wanted one. I bought one just because it was gorgeous, very nice watch and wanted it - and naturally had the money.
I'm not one to spend on the latest and greatest gadgets, latest model car, etc. I send in rebates, clip coupons, etc.

I enjoyed it very much - always wore it and never regretted a moment that I spent the money on a watch (it was gold - no diamonds on the bezel). Returned to US and kind of stopped wearing it -kind of worried about crime and standing out. I sold it to a reputable local jeweler for more than I paid for it after wearing for 10 years.

Buying the Rolex will be a very personal decision - for me there are just some things for my own reasons I would like to purchase; purchase it and have not regretted it a moment. That Rolex was one of those items.

Good luck in your decision - I know what you mean about wanting a Rolex.
Evelyn
fatlittlepig

Grip

Post by Grip » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:01 pm

LeeMiller -- I'm wondering if I might know you from another forum? Do you have the same ID there?

protagonist wrote:I'm curious, Grip.....what is it about handbags.....I understand the desire to look fabulous, but if you "like the look". what would motivate you to spend $2500 on a real Bottega Veneta rather than $250 on, say, one of these: http://wowobags.com/brand-2-c0-Bottega+Veneta.html.

I could ask in return, What is it with men and cars? I don't understand the appeal of a Lamborghini or whatever. I can't tell a Ford from a Honda from a BMW. I could make snide comments about old men and sportscars, but I get that everyone has their "thing".

I enjoy bags. You have your item of attraction and I have mine. Thank you for not being judgmental.

Bottega Veneta is a classic Italian brand and the quality is outstanding. The replicas honestly do not compare. A friend of mine got a replica and it was not comparable in any way other than overall shape. The leather feels cheap and hard, the dye is sprayed on and doesn't last (quality leathers are drum dyed), the lining is not suede. They make a lot of BV bags each year, but certainly not "millions", and my $2500 one takes two days to complete.

Handbag replicas are made in sweatshops with child labor. BV is still made in Italy by craftspeople. Yes, I know other luxury brands also use sweatshop labor, but BV isn't one of them.

I have three BV bags, I love bags, and I can afford them. I certainly don't carry them to show off -- I ride the subway and city buses, and I like being under the radar. BV is not a brand that gets you noticed.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:13 pm

I removed impolite several comments. This thread has run its course and is locked (gone off-topic). See: Forum Policy

We expect this forum to be a place where people can feel comfortable asking questions and where debates and discussions are conducted in civil tones...at all times we must conduct ourselves in a respectful manner to other posters. Attacks on individuals, insults, name calling, trolling, baiting or other attempts to sow dissension are not acceptable.

If you feel that someone has attacked you or otherwise violated the policies of this forum, do not respond in kind. Instead, contact a Moderator or Site Administrator by PM or by clicking the report button and ask them to review the problem posts.

Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies..
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.