Casual Wardrobe Advice Wanted

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Munchkin Man

Casual Wardrobe Advice Wanted

Post by Munchkin Man » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:19 am

Greetings To All:

As a lot of you know by now, the Munchkin Man has recently lost a substantial amount of weight.

The Munchkin Man's personal physician recently informed the Munchkin Man that the Munchkin Man has now reached a healthy level of weight.

The Munchkin Man's personal physician has congratulated the Munchkin Man for doing so.

As a result, the Munchkin Man has now become interested in the planning and the purchase of a new casual wardrobe.

During the Munchkin Man's period of weight loss, the Munchkin Man was determined not to buy such a wardrobe until the Munchkin Man reached a healthy level of weight.

The Munchkin Man has finally done so.

The Munchkin Man now wants to be able to attend a social event and look nice.

It has been many years since the Munchkin Man has been able to do so.

The Munchkin Man's casual wardrobe is very sparse at the present time.

The Munchkin Man owns no sport jackets which fit.

The Munchkin Man owns no neckties.

The Munchkin Man owns no buttoned shirts which fit.

All the Munchkin Man really owns right now are a few polo style shirts, a few pairs of drawstring pants which are now too big for the Munchkin Man, and two pairs of jeans the Munchkin Man bought last week.

The Munchkin Man also owns a pair of MBT shoes which appears to be able to pass for casual wear.

The new jeans the Munchkin Man bought last week are the only "belted" pants the Munchkin Man owns at the present time.

Many years ago, long before the Munchkin Man started to put on so much weight, the Munchkin Man read somewhere that a complete casual wardrobe can be formed with the right combination of three pairs of pants, three shirts, three neckties, and three sport jackets.

Would you agree with the above?

The Munchkin Man has never been much of a coat and tie kind of guy.

The Munchkin Man would much rather wear a sport jacket with an open shirt collar than with a shirt with a tie.

Nevertheless, the Munchkin Man would stil like to own two or three ties, so that the Munchkin Man will be able to choose and wear one, when the Munchkin Man wants to look extra nice.

The Munchkin Man would also like to wear the type of sport jacket that can go well with a pair of jeans.

The Munchkin Man has been doing some reading on the subject of jeans and sport coats.

One article said said that dark blue jeans go better with casual sport jackets than light blue jeans.

The Munchkin Man also does not want to spend a lot of money for a sport jacket.

The absolute most the Munchkin Man would ever want to spend on a sport jacket is about $200.

The Munchkin Man has also read that the style of pants called "chinos" go well with polo style shirts and sport jackets.

The Munchkin Man does not want to rush into the purchase of a new casual wardrobe all at one time.

The Munchkin Man would like to approach the development of a new casual wardrobe methodically and slowly with careful planning.

The Munchkin Man also needs to guard against impulse control.

One mistake the Munchkin Man has made on many occasions in the past has to puchase an item of clothing based upon how it looks in the store and not how it looks on the Munchkin Man.

The Munchkin Man almost made this mistake again two weeks ago.

The Munchkin Man was all set to buy a brand new bright yellow polo shirt.

It looked good to the Munchkin Man in the store.

The Munchkin Man asked the sales person how she think it would look on the Munchkin Man.

She told the Munchkin Man that the color did not go well with the Munchkin Man's skin tone.

She then steered the Munchkin Man toward the purchase of another polo shirt, one with a dark magenta color, which she said looked much better on the Munchkin Man.

This makes the Munchkin Man wonder if the Munchkin Man should hire one of these wardrobe consultants who specialize in determining which clothing styles and colors go well with a person's body type and complexion.

The Munchkin Man understands that these consultants are very expensive.

The Munchkin Man probably could not afford to hire one.

But the thought is tempting.

Maybe the cost of such a consultant would pay for itself by preventing the Munchkin Man from throwing money away on items of clothing which do not suit the Munchkin Man.

Have any of you ever hired a wardrobe consultant with positive results?

Perhaps, the Munchkin Man does not need a wardrobe consultant just for the purchase of a basic and simple casual wardrobe.

In any event, the Munchkin Man would like to have the bulk and the "basics" of the Munchkin Man's casual wardrobe completed by the end of the year.

But first things first.

And what the Munchkin Man needs to do first is to go to a clothing store and get measured from head to toe.

The Munchkin Man wants to find out and know what each and every one of these measurements are.

Only then can the Munchkin Man be properly and legitimately informed to begin to go about the task of constructing and purchasing a new casual wardrobe.

Do any of you have any advice and suggestions for the Munchkin Man?

Any advice and suggestions you would be willing to share with the Munchkin Man would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Good luck to all.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man

jej

Re: Casual Wardrobe Advice Wanted

Post by jej » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:47 am

MM:

I went through this. While I was still working at a coat-and-tie job, I lost well over 100#. Rapidly. Clothes were an issue.

For the chinos - order online at LL Bean. http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/590?nav= ... age=chinos

I prefer their fit and comfort over any jeans.

They have excellent customer service and return policies, especially if you have their credit card. Read the descriptions carefully as to fit.Try one pair to see how you like it. For me, these take care of all social situations outside of funerals. [Pants made of similar material with many pockets take care of the rest of life for me.] I always order by phone with LL Bean. Better service that way.

BTW, all LL Bean pants seem to have 1.5 inch belt loops and no suspender buttons. I prefer 1.75 in loops, which my many-pockets version have - the better to fit stiff belts to carry heavy holsters, but 1.5 inch will do with the right belt.

Their button down oxford cloth shirts are OK. If you do not have someone to measure you, you will go through some trial and error to find the right fit. That's OK. You return the ones that do not fit.

In both the shirts and the chinos, I like the no-iron all cotton fabric. It still would get ironed if I really cared about it. I don't.

A consultant? No. Don't be silly. Solid colors, classic design, and move on to the next issue.

Edit - I forgot -
If in doubt, stick with a slightly larger/looser fit for the next few years. Your weight/size may bounce around a bit, like mine did.
If in doubt, order multiple sizes and return the ones you do not like. I think there is free return postage if you have their credit card.

4stripes

Post by 4stripes » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:10 am

Bring a trusted friend, possibly younger, with style that will be honest to help you shop. Yes, do a consultant.

Dark jeans only.

No pleats.

Socks generally one shade darker than pants.

Go slimmer than you think on everything. It will take some getting used to at first (mentally). You don't want to look like a parachute. Expect jeans to expand 3/4". Khaki's are the only thing that won't stretch much.

Tailor anything that's too long. Don't buy anything that needs to be tailored in more than one place (except for a jacket)--it just doesn't fit.

Get some decent, simple shoes with laces and a casual pair with minimal design elements. No square toes. Chukkas are in and great looking.

Where is the MM located and what sizes are we talking about and I can make specific recommendations.

tacster

Post by tacster » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:19 am

I know the Munchkin Man already bought jeans, but if the Munchkin Man buys more, the jeans from Costco have a coin pocket large enough for a basic cell phone, thereby solving the Munchkin Man's other question about where to carry a cell phone.
INSERT PITHY QUOTE HERE

Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:36 am

Greetings jej:

The Munchkin Man would like to thank you very much for your message and your suggestions.

The Munchkin Man is especially grateful for your recommendation of L.L. Bean.

Earlier this morning the Munchkin Man was looking at the L.L. Bean website and decided to bookmark it for further reference.

Although the Munchkin Man has heard about L.L. Bean for many years, the Munchkin Man has never bought anything from L.L. Bean.

Last night the Munchkin Man was looking at the website for Banana Republic.

The Munchkin Man bookmarked that one too.

The Munchkin Man bought a pair of 36-inch waist shorts from a Banana Republic store in Washington D.C. about 30 years ago.

The Munchkin Man still has them.

They fit well.

This is the pair of 36-inch waist shorts the Munchkin Man was talking about in the Munchkin Man's topic thread about flat front pants versus pleated pants.

Unfortunately, the Munchkin Man has heard that the quality of the clothing at Banana Republic has declined over the years.

However, the Munchkin Man cannot ever recall hearing a negative report about L.L. Bean.

Based upon your recommendation, the Munchkin Man is going to give L.L. Bean a try.

The Munchkin Man is also grateful for your recommendation of their chinos.

If chinos will take care of just about any social situation, then the Munchkin Man is all for them.

Knowing this will simplify things a great deal for the Munchkin Man.

Many thanks also for reassuring the Munchkin Man that the Munchkin Man does not need to hire a consultant.

The Munchkin Man now believes that this would be a horrible waste of money.

The Munchkin Man is now looking forward to the challenge of constructing a self-made wardrobe.

The Munchkin Man also agrees with your statement about buying clothes with sizes of a looser and a larger fit.

The Munchkin Man would rather err on the side of buying an item of clothing that is a bit too large than a bit too small.

A pair of pants that are too tight for the Munchkin Man are useless to the Munchkin Man.

The Munchkin Man can now fit loosely into pants with a waist size of 36-inches with a little room to spare.

The Munchkin Man feels okay with this.

But a pair of pants with a waist size of 34-inches fit too tightly around the Munchkin Man's waist.

The Munchkin Man does not feel okay with this.

If the Munchkin Man can hold the Munchkin Man's weight to a maximum limit of 175 pounds, then the Munchkin Man should always be able to fit into a pair of pants with a waist size of 36 inches.

The Munchkin Man's last recorded weight was 166 pounds a few days ago.

In closing, the Munchkin Man would like to thank you once again for your recommendation of L.L. Bean and your suggestions.

Good luck to you.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man

jej wrote:MM:

I went through this. While I was still working at a coat-and-tie job, I lost well over 100#. Rapidly. Clothes were an issue.

For the chinos - order online at LL Bean. http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/590?nav= ... age=chinos

I prefer their fit and comfort over any jeans.

They have excellent customer service and return policies, especially if you have their credit card. Read the descriptions carefully as to fit.Try one pair to see how you like it. For me, these take care of all social situations outside of funerals. [Pants made of similar material with many pockets take care of the rest of life for me.] I always order by phone with LL Bean. Better service that way.

BTW, all LL Bean pants seem to have 1.5 inch belt loops and no suspender buttons. I prefer 1.75 in loops, which my many-pockets version have - the better to fit stiff belts to carry heavy holsters, but 1.5 inch will do with the right belt.

Their button down oxford cloth shirts are OK. If you do not have someone to measure you, you will go through some trial and error to find the right fit. That's OK. You return the ones that do not fit.

In both the shirts and the chinos, I like the no-iron all cotton fabric. It still would get ironed if I really cared about it. I don't.

A consultant? No. Don't be silly. Solid colors, classic design, and move on to the next issue.

Edit - I forgot -
If in doubt, stick with a slightly larger/looser fit for the next few years. Your weight/size may bounce around a bit, like mine did.
If in doubt, order multiple sizes and return the ones you do not like. I think there is free return postage if you have their credit card.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:38 am

You might think about going back to the store where the salesperson helped you with the polo shirt purchase. Ask them if they would be able to help you with some additional items or if they have a personal shopper type program to do so. Many stores such as Macy's, Dillard's, Men's Wearhouse, etc., have people that can help you.

If you are looking to purchase online, in addition to LL Bean (mentioned previously), I have gotten good results from Land's End, Dillard's and JC Penney. I am tall and so extended size availability is important to me.

A little extra spent on a few really nice articles of clothing can be a good investment. For example, the pinpoint dress shirts at Land's End or the Roundtree and Yorker microfiber pants at Dillard's are a small step up from their more basic offerings but much nicer overall.

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:54 am

Munchkin Man should find a girlfriend.

Munchkin Man's new girlfriend should be taken to a department store.

Munchkin Man could then try on new clothes.

Based on historical data, Munchkin Man's new girlfriend would freely critique tried upon outfits.

Munchkin Man could then purchase clothes liked by new girlfriend.

Munchkin Man would make his new girlfriend feel part of the team.

Munchkin Man would have a hot new array of casual clothes.

Munchkin Man would look sharp in new clothes.

Munchkin Man could go out in public with new casual clothe wardrobe.

Munchkin Man could meet girls and trade up.

Munchkin Man could then repeat cycle as needed,
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:57 am

4stripes wrote:Bring a trusted friend, possibly younger, with style that will be honest to help you shop. Yes, do a consultant.

Dark jeans only.

No pleats.

Socks generally one shade darker than pants.

Go slimmer than you think on everything. It will take some getting used to at first (mentally). You don't want to look like a parachute. Expect jeans to expand 3/4". Khaki's are the only thing that won't stretch much.

Tailor anything that's too long. Don't buy anything that needs to be tailored in more than one place (except for a jacket)--it just doesn't fit.

Get some decent, simple shoes with laces and a casual pair with minimal design elements. No square toes. Chukkas are in and great looking.

Where is the MM located and what sizes are we talking about and I can make specific recommendations.
Greetings 4stripes:

The Munchkin Man would like to thank you for your reply and for your recommendations.

The Munchkin Man lives in Norfolk, Virginia.

The only size the Munchkin Man knows for sure about is the Munchkin Man's waist size of about 36 inches.

Before the Munchkin Man became overweight, the Munchkin Man's shirt size used to be about 16" / 32-33"

The Munchkin Man has just found an old white dress shirt in the Munchkin Man's closet with a size of 16 1/2" / 32-33".

it was a little loose around the collar without being too loose.

The sleeves fit perfectly.

The other day the Munchkin Man tried on a sport jacket a friend of the Munchkin Man was wearing.

It was a 42-regular.

It fit nicely on the Munchkin Man with a little room to spare.

He told the Munchkin Man that the Munchkin Man could probably fit into a 40-regular.

Thank you very much for your recommendation of Chukkas.

The Munchkin Man had never heard of Chukkas before and the Munchkin Man will definitely check them out.

The Munchkin Man did buy a pair of dark jeans last week.

As explained in a previous topic thread, the Munchkin Man no longer buys pleated pants.

The Munchkin Man also always buys and wears black socks.

The Munchkin Man figures that the Munchkin Man cannot go wrong in wearing black socks.

You now have the Munchkin Man contemplating the idea of hiring a consultant again.

The Munchkin Man would consider one for a reasonable price.

The Munchkin Man will also heed your advice not to buy anything too long, in order to avoid the complications of alterations and tailoring.

The Munchkin Man would like to thank you once again for your comments and suggestions.

Good luck to you.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man

bawr

Post by bawr » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:57 am

If Munchkin Man adopts Steve Jobs' approach to attire, he won't have to think about clothing ever again. If Munchkin Man does not wish to be a follower Steve Jobs, he may think of this as the Permanent Portfolio method applied to garments.

Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:08 am

kenschmidt wrote:You might think about going back to the store where the salesperson helped you with the polo shirt purchase. Ask them if they would be able to help you with some additional items or if they have a personal shopper type program to do so. Many stores such as Macy's, Dillard's, Men's Wearhouse, etc., have people that can help you.

If you are looking to purchase online, in addition to LL Bean (mentioned previously), I have gotten good results from Land's End, Dillard's and JC Penney. I am tall and so extended size availability is important to me.

A little extra spent on a few really nice articles of clothing can be a good investment. For example, the pinpoint dress shirts at Land's End or the Roundtree and Yorker microfiber pants at Dillard's are a small step up from their more basic offerings but much nicer overall.
Greetings kenschmidt:

The Munchkin Man would like to thank you for your suggestions.

It so happens that the store where the salesperson helped the Munchkin Man buy a polo shirt in a better color for the Munchkin Man was at a local Dillard's store located only about ten minutes away.

The Munchkin Man has thought about getting this salesperson to help the Munchkin Man again.

Overall, the Munchkin Man likes Dillard's more than Macy's.

The Munchkin Man would also like to thank you for your suggestions of Land's End and the Men's Wearhouse.

The Munchkin Man will be sure to check them out.

The Munchkin Man is very grateful for all of your suggestions.

Thanks again.

Good luck to you.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man

Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:15 am

bengal22 wrote:Munchkin Man should find a girlfriend.

Munchkin Man's new girlfriend should be taken to a department store.

Munchkin Man could then try on new clothes.

Based on historical data, Munchkin Man's new girlfriend would freely critique tried upon outfits.

Munchkin Man could then purchase clothes liked by new girlfriend.

Munchkin Man would make his new girlfriend feel part of the team.

Munchkin Man would have a hot new array of casual clothes.

Munchkin Man would look sharp in new clothes.

Munchkin Man could go out in public with new casual clothe wardrobe.

Munchkin Man could meet girls and trade up.

Munchkin Man could then repeat cycle as needed,
Greetings bengal22:

The Munchkin Man would like to thank you for your reply and for your suggestions.

Your suggestions make excellent sense to the Munchkin Man.

You will be pleased to learn that finding a new girl friend is the Munchkin Man's number one social priority at this time.

Finding a new girl friend who can help the Munchkin Man buy a new wardrobe of casual clothes should definitely give the Munchkin Man a new lease on life.

As you suggested, if the Munchkin Man is successful, then the Munchkin Man could "trade up" and repeat the cycle as needed.

Life is beginning to become a new adventure for the Munchkin Man.

You have inspired and motivated the Munchkin Man.

Thanks again!

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man

Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:18 am

tacster wrote:I know the Munchkin Man already bought jeans, but if the Munchkin Man buys more, the jeans from Costco have a coin pocket large enough for a basic cell phone, thereby solving the Munchkin Man's other question about where to carry a cell phone.
Greetings tacster:

The Munchkin Man would like to thank you for your recommendation of the jeans at Costco.

The Munchkin Man has never shopped at a Costco before.

There is a Costco located at about a 20-minute drive from the Munchkin Man's apartment.

The Munchkin Man will definitely check it out.

Thanks again.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man

winglessangel31

Post by winglessangel31 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:21 am

Munchkin Man wrote:
tacster wrote:I know the Munchkin Man already bought jeans, but if the Munchkin Man buys more, the jeans from Costco have a coin pocket large enough for a basic cell phone, thereby solving the Munchkin Man's other question about where to carry a cell phone.
Greetings tacster:

The Munchkin Man would like to thank you for your recommendation of the jeans at Costco.

The Munchkin Man has never shopped at a Costco before.

There is a Costco located at about a 20-minute drive from the Munchkin Man's apartment.

The Munchkin Man will definitely check it out.

Thanks again.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
Just remember you need a card to shop at Costco. ;)

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:28 am

I would avoid online shopping for a bit until you have a better feel for your sizing.
Best to be able to try things on in a store without having to deal with returns.

Go into the store at a slow time (weekday morning, mid-afternoon, evening) so you'll get more personalized attention.

Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:24 pm

stan1 wrote:I would avoid online shopping for a bit until you have a better feel for your sizing.
Best to be able to try things on in a store without having to deal with returns.

Go into the store at a slow time (weekday morning, mid-afternoon, evening) so you'll get more personalized attention.
Greetings stan1:

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

Your suggestions make good sense to the Munchkin Man.

The Munchkin Man will definitely get some definitive size measurements taken before the Munchkin Man buys any clothes online.

The Munchkin Man's favorite time of the day for shopping at a clothing store is a few minutes after 10:00 a.m.

This is when the Munchkin Man received the personal attention the Munchkin Man described from the salesperson at Dillard's.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Good luck to you.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man

reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:32 pm

I buy most of my clothes at the local Thrift Store. Wonderful selection and terrific prices. I can dress like an English Lord (sort of), James Bond (sort of), Hugh Hefner (sort of) or even a Leprechaun (St. Patricks Day is coming). Then i can give the clothes back and take a tax write off.......like a Boglehead.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:39 pm

I'd like to emphasize the earlier posts about using a personal shopper service. Although Munchkin Man does not prefer Macys, I have one close by. The last time I checked, service is free.

Those people are unbelievable. Just walk in there and say "I have no idea what I'm doing." In five minutes, they'll return with an armful of clothes and say "here you go" - and they'll be right.

You are investing in a new lifestyle. As they say, "you never get a second chance to make a first impression." Clothes are a critical part of this process, especially if a new girlfriend is in your sights.

Ask the personal shopper "What looks good on me?" and take detailed notes. Let them make the first selections. After that, you'll know exactly what to do. From then on, you'll be shopping with confidence and can "tune out the noise" - what doesn't work will be ignored (just like finance...).

Don't bother with taking measurements. Let the shopper fit your clothes - you'll know which sizes are correct and can shop online (and elsewhere) after that.

If you can get that level of detail at Dillard's, then go for it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

4stripes

Post by 4stripes » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:26 pm

Munchkin Man wrote:The Munchkin Man lives in Norfolk, Virginia.

The only size the Munchkin Man knows for sure about is the Munchkin Man's waist size of about 36 inches.

Before the Munchkin Man became overweight, the Munchkin Man's shirt size used to be about 16" / 32-33"

He told the Munchkin Man that the Munchkin Man could probably fit into a 40-regular.

The Munchkin Man figures that the Munchkin Man cannot go wrong in wearing black socks.

The Munchkin Man will also heed your advice not to buy anything too long, in order to avoid the complications of alterations and tailoring.
Hi MM,

I should clarify. Tailoring length is not to be avoided, it is likely necessary to look your best.

You can easily go wrong with black socks. Avoid black socks with light/khaki pants. You'll look not so suave. Only black shoes are an exception, but I don't think black on light khaki is a very good look. It's kind of IT crowd. Stick with the one-shade darker than pants, or the shade of the shoe.

Room to spare rarely equals a sharp look, avoid room-to-spare. Sounds like you should try a 38 or 40 short jacket. Getting over room to spare requires mental/confidence work, just doing it, and working through some discomfort the first few weeks perhaps. Grown men should get over "jeans are uncomfortable." (I'm not speaking to you directly). The jacket should not hang further than your fists held at your side. Otherwise one looks like the absent-minded professor.

I agree with looking into a personal shopper at a dept store, but those places can also be overwhelming, and with lots of floppy sizes. Give it a try, but you can do well keeping it simple at the Gap, Banana Rep, J.Crew, Benetton, where everything you need is in eyesight.

mlewis

Post by mlewis » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:39 pm

Munchkin Man wrote: The Munchkin Man would like to approach the development of a new casual wardrobe methodically and slowly with careful planning.

Munchkin Man
Spoken like a true Boglehead.

malcolm

scone

Post by scone » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:29 pm

Hello Munchkin Man, and congratulations! I think you could start out with a couple of button down shirts, some polos in neutral colors, and a couple of pairs of chinos. You can save a little money on these things, but the sports jacket is absolutely critical. If that isn't high quality, the whole outfit looks cheap. But high quality is expensive, and you want to spend under $200. O.K., then. There is a gentleman in Boston who operates an on-line shop in very nice, very high quality, used men's clothes. I know what you're thinking! But it's not the usual thrift shop stuff. It's Brooks Brothers, Polo, custom English tweeds, cashmere blends, things like that. The owner also writes an excellent blog on men's clothing and haberdashery, which is well worth reading. The prices on the jackets are well within your specifications-- the most expensive suit, a lovely navy flannel, is $150.00. These things are of a quality that would cost you (at least) many hundreds of dollars today, especially with the hand tailoring.

Here's the link: http://anaffordablewardrobe.bigcartel.c ... ets?page=1

And the blog: http://www.anaffordablewardrobe.blogspot.com/

To get your size, IIWY I'd go to Nordstrom, which has better quality goods than most of the chain stores, IMO. Have them measure you, and obviously write down the measurements. There you can get a couple of John Nordstrom Boat Shirts, which they have been making for many years. They are a little more expensive than the bottom of the line, but they have much better fabric, so they last longer, and hold up to washing better. I can highly recommend the Nordstrom "house" brand, that's what I buy for my husband. Their SmartCare fabric, in particular, does not need much ironing. Here is one example: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/nordstrom-s ... wordsearch

For general advice on how to put things together, read this: http://www.amazon.com/Dress-Your-Best-C ... 0307236714 Half the book is about menswear, what looks good or bad depending on your build and height. This book is also good: http://www.amazon.com/Chic-Simple-Dress ... simple+men

The last piece of free advice I have for you-- get your clothing tailored, but wait a few months to do so. Tailoring is not complicated or expensive, and it makes all the difference-- tailored clothing shows that you are aware of details and have a clue about the subtleties of social cues. To be blunt, tailoring is the difference between looking really nice, and looking like an "off the rack" slob without a cliue. Every single time I have ignored this rule, I have regretted it deeply! Ask a military officer how important a tailored dress uniform is him-- truly, clothes make the man.

However, your body will change a lot in the next year as you rebuild muscle. There's no point in taking in a jacket too tightly, if you end up putting an inch on your arms and chest. So make sure it fits in the shoulder and at the wrist, because everything else can be fitted later on. Good Luck!
"My bond allocation is the amount of money that I cannot afford to lose." -- Taylor Larimore

scone

Post by scone » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:55 pm

P.S. Another good resource I forgot to mention is the J.Crew sale page on their website. They often have things there at a radical discount, and good quality for the price. They have a herringbone sports jacket that's just about in your price range right now:

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/spor ... /93445.jsp

Here's another one in an English tweed:

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_special_sizes ... /17972.jsp

They are also known for their chinos, with good details and construction. At J.Crew, things tend to be fitted pretty closely-- it's never baggy, so be aware. You can return things easily as long as it's not maked "final sale." Again, good luck and best wishes!
"My bond allocation is the amount of money that I cannot afford to lose." -- Taylor Larimore

tc101

Post by tc101 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:59 pm

Munchkin Man, post a photo of yourself and I can give you better advice.
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:06 pm

^^^ True, but it's best to not post personally identifiable information on the internet. Google can search by images.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

trudy

Post by trudy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:37 pm

I would get more than three shirts. Otherwise you're going to be doing laundry too often.

LLBean has some nice stuff, but they think all women are short. (I know that MM is not a woman, I am just raising a flag.) LLBean has no idea how to size clothes for a tall woman (they just lengthen the legs), so I assume the same may be true of their men's clothes. Read the reviews for the items.

roymeo

Post by roymeo » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:45 pm

Get thee to a Men's Wearhouse.

One-stop shopping.

A salesperson there will be happy to find you what you need and will even make sure the individual pieces combine stylishly.

Depending on how much your body-type has changed, they should be able to help you if you're more of a suspenders than belt person, etc.

You should be able to find things in, or at least close to your price limits, depending on whether they're realistic or not.

roymeo
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:10 pm

Since you had good experience with Dillards, Dillards does offer personal shoppers at some locations, and the location is close, I would try going there first and see if that location has a personal shopper. Once you have a good idea of your size and colors that look good on you, you can venture into online purchases. I would also personally purchase more shirts and perhaps another couple pairs of pants, but I have hyperactive sweat glands so shirts are only good for one day's wear for me. I have enough shirts to get through the week so I only have to do laundry on weekends.

texasred

Post by texasred » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:17 pm

I was going to suggest LLBean myself. They have exact length for shirts and pants. Everything lasts and well worth the cost.

magicmom

Post by magicmom » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:52 pm

If you stick with a few colors it is easier to mix and match the pieces you purchase. Congrats on your weightloss!

Boglewinelover

Post by Boglewinelover » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:07 pm

Dear MM,
Congrats on your weight loss. Now that you are svelt, I would consider changing your user name, something like Macho Man or magnificent looking man might be more appropriate!

Many of your fashion questions depend on your age... If you are 20-35 you should definitely wear flat front pants and only dark jeans. 35-50 you should most likely wear the above. 50+ you should wear flat fronts if they look good on your body type. No bulging pockets, no baggy seats!! Dark jeans always!! Banana and J. Crew are def. for 20-35. And yes, Bananas quality has gone down in the last few years. Eddie Bauer has reasonable priced jeans, the dark ones are nice. NEVER wear black socks with khaki pants. I believe you should wee socks to much your pants, not your shoes.

Nordstrom is a great store and has great sales help...get a woman to help you. Their store brand button front shirts are quality and reasonable compared to other stores. The tailoring is free. Yes, they can take in shirts. Button down collars with no tie, pointed spread with ties. Someone mentioned solid colors, but I'd say stripes, or solid for dress, check, stripe or solid for casual. 100% cotton longsleeved only!! Wrinkle free is okay. Online orders are shipped AND returned free! So you really don't loose anything by online ordering.

Joseph Bank ALWAYS has sales! They have good quality jackets and some shirts. Slim fit, travelers are good. You can get reasonable jackets for $150. I'd try the Boston tailor that scone recommended first as they sound awesome!

Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:06 pm

LadyGeek wrote:I'd like to emphasize the earlier posts about using a personal shopper service. Although Munchkin Man does not prefer Macys, I have one close by. The last time I checked, service is free.

Those people are unbelievable. Just walk in there and say "I have no idea what I'm doing." In five minutes, they'll return with an armful of clothes and say "here you go" - and they'll be right.

You are investing in a new lifestyle. As they say, "you never get a second chance to make a first impression." Clothes are a critical part of this process, especially if a new girlfriend is in your sights.

Ask the personal shopper "What looks good on me?" and take detailed notes. Let them make the first selections. After that, you'll know exactly what to do. From then on, you'll be shopping with confidence and can "tune out the noise" - what doesn't work will be ignored (just like finance...).

Don't bother with taking measurements. Let the shopper fit your clothes - you'll know which sizes are correct and can shop online (and elsewhere) after that.

If you can get that level of detail at Dillard's, then go for it.
Greetings LadyGeek:

The Munchkin Man would like to thank you very much for your great advice about using a personal shopper service.

This sounds like the perfect solution to the Munchkin Man's state of indecision about the hiring of a wardrobe consultant.

According to what the Munchkin Man has read online, it does appear that Dillard's offers a free personal shopper service.

This would save the Munchkin Man a lot of money.

The Munchkin Man plans to check into the personal shopping service at Dillard's next month in April.

The Munchkin Man's personal clothing budget for the current month of March has already been exhausted.

The Munchkin Man is also going to pay the Munchkin Man's taxes this month.

The Munchkin Man wants to get that out of the way first.

What the Munchkin Man might do next month in April is to ask the personal shopping service at Dillard's to help the Munchkin Man pick out one outfit.

This would mean one pair of pants, one shirt, one sport jacket, and one necktie.

Maybe the Munchkin Man will get two pairs of pants, two shirts, and two ties if the Munchkin Man can get them on sale.

The Munchkin Man will be sure to take notes on what looks good on the Munchkin Man from the Munchkin Man's personal shopper.

Thanks again for your comments and advice.

Good luck to you.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man

Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:50 pm

scone wrote:Hello Munchkin Man, and congratulations! I think you could start out with a couple of button down shirts, some polos in neutral colors, and a couple of pairs of chinos. You can save a little money on these things, but the sports jacket is absolutely critical. If that isn't high quality, the whole outfit looks cheap. But high quality is expensive, and you want to spend under $200. O.K., then. There is a gentleman in Boston who operates an on-line shop in very nice, very high quality, used men's clothes. I know what you're thinking! But it's not the usual thrift shop stuff. It's Brooks Brothers, Polo, custom English tweeds, cashmere blends, things like that. The owner also writes an excellent blog on men's clothing and haberdashery, which is well worth reading. The prices on the jackets are well within your specifications-- the most expensive suit, a lovely navy flannel, is $150.00. These things are of a quality that would cost you (at least) many hundreds of dollars today, especially with the hand tailoring.

Here's the link: http://anaffordablewardrobe.bigcartel.c ... ets?page=1

And the blog: http://www.anaffordablewardrobe.blogspot.com/

To get your size, IIWY I'd go to Nordstrom, which has better quality goods than most of the chain stores, IMO. Have them measure you, and obviously write down the measurements. There you can get a couple of John Nordstrom Boat Shirts, which they have been making for many years. They are a little more expensive than the bottom of the line, but they have much better fabric, so they last longer, and hold up to washing better. I can highly recommend the Nordstrom "house" brand, that's what I buy for my husband. Their SmartCare fabric, in particular, does not need much ironing. Here is one example: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/nordstrom-s ... wordsearch

For general advice on how to put things together, read this: http://www.amazon.com/Dress-Your-Best-C ... 0307236714 Half the book is about menswear, what looks good or bad depending on your build and height. This book is also good: http://www.amazon.com/Chic-Simple-Dress ... simple+men

The last piece of free advice I have for you-- get your clothing tailored, but wait a few months to do so. Tailoring is not complicated or expensive, and it makes all the difference-- tailored clothing shows that you are aware of details and have a clue about the subtleties of social cues. To be blunt, tailoring is the difference between looking really nice, and looking like an "off the rack" slob without a cliue. Every single time I have ignored this rule, I have regretted it deeply! Ask a military officer how important a tailored dress uniform is him-- truly, clothes make the man.

However, your body will change a lot in the next year as you rebuild muscle. There's no point in taking in a jacket too tightly, if you end up putting an inch on your arms and chest. So make sure it fits in the shoulder and at the wrist, because everything else can be fitted later on. Good Luck!
Greetings scone:

The Munchkin Man would like to thank you very much for your wonderfully detailed advice and for the links to the sites you have provided.

The Munchkin Man has bookmarked these sites and the Munchkin Man will be sure to read and study them very carefully.

The Munchkin Man is probably all set for polo style shirts for the time being.

What the Munchkin Man does not have at the present time is a pair of chino pants.

The Munchkin Man would also like to thank you for your recommendation of Nordstrom's.

There is a Nordstrom's located in the same shopping mall where the Munchkin Man's favorite Dillard's store is.

The Munchkin Man has bought a few clothes from there before.

Their sales people are very knowledgeable, polite, and helpful.

In fact, the Munchkin Man bought a house brand polo style shirt from there recently for around $40.

This is much cheaper than the Polo/Ralph Lauren polo shirts which usually sell for around $75.

As you have suggested, the Munchkin Man may very well go there again next month to get measured and maybe buy a couple more of their house brand shirts.

Nordstrom's has some great looking shirts.

During the Munchkin Man's last visit, the Munchkin Man saw a shirt that the Munchkin Man absolutely fell in love with.

Unfortunately, its price was well beyond the Munchkin Man's budget.

Its price was $225.

Therefore, the Munchkin Man has to be very careful and exercise a lot of restraint when shopping there.

Once upon a time, the Munchkin Man had very poor impulse control when it came to the purchase of things the Munchkin Man could not afford.

It took the Munchkin Man many years to learn how live within the Munchkin Man's means.

But that is in the past.

The Munchkin Man also likes your comments about the importance of personal tailoring and your advice about getting the Munchkin Man's clothes tailored a few months after buying them.

This should definitely correct for any body changes the Munchkin Man will undergo in the future.

During the next twelve months, the Munchkin Man would like to increase the Munchkin Man's upper body muscle mass while holding the Munchkin Man's waist size constant in the range of 34 inches to 36 inches.

This is why your advice makes perfect sense to the Munchkin Man.

The Munchkin Man is also very grateful for your advice about the importance of finding a sport jacket of high quality.

The Munchkin Man will be sure to research the availability of the types and brand names of the sport jackets you mentioned for $200 or less.

Maybe the Munchkin Man will buy one sport jacket for around $300 while keeping the others under $200.

A big adventure lies ahead for the Munchkin Man.

The navigation tips you have provided for the Munchkin Man's big adventure are deeply appreciated.

The Munchkin Man would like to thank you once again for the advice and the resources you have provided.

Good luck to you.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man

Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:57 pm

scone wrote:P.S. Another good resource I forgot to mention is the J.Crew sale page on their website. They often have things there at a radical discount, and good quality for the price. They have a herringbone sports jacket that's just about in your price range right now:

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/spor ... /93445.jsp

Here's another one in an English tweed:

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_special_sizes ... /17972.jsp

They are also known for their chinos, with good details and construction. At J.Crew, things tend to be fitted pretty closely-- it's never baggy, so be aware. You can return things easily as long as it's not maked "final sale." Again, good luck and best wishes!
Greetings scone:

Thank you very much for your additional advice and for your recommendation of J. Crew.

The Munchkin Man has bookmarked the web pages you have provided.

This sounds like a great resource for some sport jackets in the Munchkin Man's price range.

It sounds like the Munchkin Man definitely needs to buy some chinos.

The Munchkin Man likes hearing the fact that the chinos at A.J. Crew are fitted closely and are never baggy.

The Munchkin Man hates the baggy look.

Thanks again for your wonderful advice and the resources you have provided.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man

Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:01 pm

roymeo wrote:Get thee to a Men's Wearhouse.

One-stop shopping.

A salesperson there will be happy to find you what you need and will even make sure the individual pieces combine stylishly.

Depending on how much your body-type has changed, they should be able to help you if you're more of a suspenders than belt person, etc.

You should be able to find things in, or at least close to your price limits, depending on whether they're realistic or not.

roymeo
Greetings roymeo:

Thank you very much for your recommendation of Men's Wearhouse.

Although the Munchkin Man has heard of Men's Wearhouse, the Munchkin Man has never been inside a Men's Wearhouse.

The Munchkin Man will be sure to pay a visit to one in the very near future for an exploratory visit.

Thanks again for your recommendato.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man

Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:10 pm

magicmom wrote:If you stick with a few colors it is easier to mix and match the pieces you purchase. Congrats on your weightloss!
Greetings magicmom:

The Munchkin Man would like to thank you for your words of congratulations on the Munchkin Man's weight loss and for your advice about sticking to a few colors.

Speaking of colors, the Munchkin Man has just read that it is very hard for a man to go wrong with a solid magenta tie.

The Munchkin Man also owns a solid colored magenta polo style shirt.

Several people have told the Munchkin Man that it looks good on the Munchkin Man.

Thanks again for your words of advice and congratulations.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man

Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:17 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:Since you had good experience with Dillards, Dillards does offer personal shoppers at some locations, and the location is close, I would try going there first and see if that location has a personal shopper. Once you have a good idea of your size and colors that look good on you, you can venture into online purchases. I would also personally purchase more shirts and perhaps another couple pairs of pants, but I have hyperactive sweat glands so shirts are only good for one day's wear for me. I have enough shirts to get through the week so I only have to do laundry on weekends.
Greetings Mudpuppy:

Thank you very much for your words of advice.

The Munchkin Man is definitely going to pay a visit to Dillard's next month with the intent to consult with a personal shopper.

The Munchkin Man likes your advice on holding off on any online shopping until the Munchkin Man learns more about the Munchkin Man's most appropriate sizes and colors.

The Munchkin Man definitely needs some more pants.

The Munchkin Man bought and wore oversized drawstring pants from stores for extra large people for many years.

The Munchkin Man is so very glad that those days are in the past.

You and the Munchkin Man also have something in common.

The Munchkin Man also has hyperactice sweat glands.

Therefore, the Munchkin Man could probably use a few extra shirts as well.

Thanks again for your words of advice.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man

englishgirl

Post by englishgirl » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:23 pm

The Munchkin Man should not get ties. Who wears ties these days unless at formal occasions?

But what I really wanted to say was that the best advice I ever took to heart with clothes shopping is to try stuff on. When you are in a store, pick up any item of clothing that is of any possible interest to you, and which is in your size, or a couple of sizes that might fit. You will end up with a giant armful. At this point, the sales people will be positively salivating over you, as they think you are about to be a big spender. Take risks with what you pick up. Let the sales people also suggest other items that might look good.

Then go into a changing room and try things on. I find it helps to have a friend to give you objective feedback, but it's not necessary. As you try everything on, some things that you loved on the hanger will not look good on you. Some things you might try on and they'll be OK. Some things you might try on and realize that the fit is wrong - you can ask the sales person to get you the next size up or down to see if a different size will fit better. Some things you might try on and suddenly go "Wow! I look and feel great in this!" - buy those things.

When I go clothes shopping, I routinely take 20-40 items with me into the changing rooms. Out of that, I might buy 2 things. And do not be afraid to try on 40 things and walk out with nothing. But because I now try everything on, I am much more confident of knowing what looks good on me, much more confident about trying different styles, and feel much better when I am out and about that I look good. And I get a lot more compliments on my clothing than I ever did before.
Sarah

Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:29 pm

Boglewinelover wrote:Dear MM,
Congrats on your weight loss. Now that you are svelt, I would consider changing your user name, something like Macho Man or magnificent looking man might be more appropriate!

Many of your fashion questions depend on your age... If you are 20-35 you should definitely wear flat front pants and only dark jeans. 35-50 you should most likely wear the above. 50+ you should wear flat fronts if they look good on your body type. No bulging pockets, no baggy seats!! Dark jeans always!! Banana and J. Crew are def. for 20-35. And yes, Bananas quality has gone down in the last few years. Eddie Bauer has reasonable priced jeans, the dark ones are nice. NEVER wear black socks with khaki pants. I believe you should wee socks to much your pants, not your shoes.

Nordstrom is a great store and has great sales help...get a woman to help you. Their store brand button front shirts are quality and reasonable compared to other stores. The tailoring is free. Yes, they can take in shirts. Button down collars with no tie, pointed spread with ties. Someone mentioned solid colors, but I'd say stripes, or solid for dress, check, stripe or solid for casual. 100% cotton longsleeved only!! Wrinkle free is okay. Online orders are shipped AND returned free! So you really don't loose anything by online ordering.

Joseph Bank ALWAYS has sales! They have good quality jackets and some shirts. Slim fit, travelers are good. You can get reasonable jackets for $150. I'd try the Boston tailor that scone recommended first as they sound awesome!
Greetings Boglewinelover:

The Munchkin Man would like to thank you very much for your words of advice.

The Munchkin Man definitely agrees with you about the wearing of flat front pants.

The Munchkin Man hates pleated pants with a passion.

The Munchkin Man also hates pants with bulging pockets and baggy seats.

The Munchkin Man is also grateful for your advice about avoiding the combination of black socks with khaki pants.

This is something that would have never occurred to the Munchkin Man.

The Munchkin Man also appreciates your recommendation of the dark jeans sold by Eddie Bauer.

The Munchkin Man will definitely check them out.

The Munchkin Man has been feeling overwhelmed by the multitude of brand names of jeans that are available and their different styles.

The Munchkin Man also thanks you for yet another recommendation for Nordstrom's.

If the Munchkin Man sticks to their house brands, the Munchkin Man should be able to stay within the Munchkin Man's budget.

The Munchkin Man also thanks you for your recommendation of Joseph Bank.

This is one brand name the Munchkin Man had not heard of before.

The Munchkin Man will check it out.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man

Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:44 pm

tc101 wrote:Munchkin Man, post a photo of yourself and I can give you better advice.
Greetings tc101:

In order to protect the Munchkin Man's personal identity and security, the Munchkin Man believes it is in the Munchkin Man's best interests not to post a personal photo of the Munchkin Man at this time.

But the Munchkin Man will tell you the following:

A few short years ago, two different people, on two different occasions and setiings, told the Munchkin Man that the Munchkin Man looked like Ron Jeremy.

In fact, one of these people swore up and down that the Munchkin Man really was Ron Jeremy.

At the time the Munchkin Man did look a lot like Ron Jeremy but with a lighter shade of hair.

This was also before the Munchkin Man lost a substantial amount of weight.

Let the Munchkin Man state for the record:

The Munchkin Man is not Ron Jeremy.

Back when MASH was a popular television program, a number of people told the Munchkin Man looked a lot like Gary Burghoff.

This was the actor who played the Radar O' Reilly character.

This should give you some idea as to what the Munchkin Man looks like now at 63 years of age.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man

Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:07 pm

Greetings To All:

The Munchkin Man would like to thank each and every one of you who have shared their ideas, comments, and suggestions for the development and construction of the Munchkin Man's new and upcoming casual wardrobe.

Please accept the Munchkin Man's apologies if the Munchkin Man did not get around to acknowledging and thanking you personally for your ideas, comments, and suggestions.

You have given the Munchkin Man a tremendous wealth of ideas and suggestions.

The Munchkin Man will be researching and taking notes on your ideas and suggestions during the next several weeks.

The Munchkin Man is planning to visit the local Dillard's store next month in April to check up on the availability of a personal shopper.

The Munchkin Man plans to visit Nordstrom's as well for the purpose of getting measured and maybe buying a couple of their boat shirts.

The Munchkin Man has just learned that there is a Men's Wearhouse store located in the same shopping mall where the Munchkin Man's local Dillard's store and Nordstrom's store is located.

The Munchkin Man plans to drop in for a visit there in April as well for an exploratory visit.

The Munchkin Man has just learned that there is also a J. Crew store in the Munchkin Man's area.

The Munchkin Man is going to take a visit there in April as well and maybe buy a couple of pairs of their chinos.

The Munchkin Man plans to hold off on any online clothing purchases until the Munchkin Man becomes more knowledgeable of the Munchkin Man's sizes and desired colors.

As the Munchkin Man has stated before, the Munchkin Man intends to take on this project as methodically as possible without rushing into any hasty decisions.

The Munchkin Man is hoping to have the makings of a decent casual wardrobe by the end of the year.

In closing, the Munchkin Man would like to thank you all once again for all of your very helpful ideas, comments, and suggestions.

Good luck to all.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man

Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:39 pm

Greetings To All:

The Munchkin Man discovered a great new store today to buy high quality clothes at discount prices.

The store isn't new.

It is the Munchkin Man's discovery of this store that is new.

The store the Munchkin Man is talking about is..........

Stein Mart.

The Munchkin Man did not expect to see such a large mens' clothing department.

The Munchkin Man did not expect to see so much quality.

For example..........

The Munchkin Man's eyes were dazzled by all of the beautiful Alan Flusser shirts that were on sale for at least 50% off.

This place blows Marshalls and T.J. Maxx clear out of the water.

Speaking of Marshalls, the Munchkin Man did buy a few Polo Ralph Lauren "interlock" shirts there for over 50% off each a few days ago.

The Munchkin Man prefers the "interlock" style over the "mesh" style.

The Munchkin Man still regards Marshalls as worthy of an occasional visit.

But Stein Mart is so much better and offers so much more.

The Munchkin Man is "all set" for polo style knit shirts for a while.

The Munchkin Man did not buy anything at Stein Mart today.

Today the Munchkin Man just walked around in awe and took mental notes.

The Munchkin Man drives by this Stein Mart store once a week.

Therefore the Munchkin Man plans to stop in there on a weekly basis from now on.

The Munchkin Man will very likely buy something there during the month of April.

The mens' clothing department at Stein Mart could very well become the Munchkin Man's number one "go to" source for most of the Munchkin Man's new clothes.

If any of you have any personal experiences with shopping at Stein Mart, whether positive, indifferent, or negative, the Munchkin Man would be very interested in reading about them.

Good luck to all.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man

magazinewriter

Post by magazinewriter » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:59 pm

Munchkin Man, I agree that Stein Mart has high quality items at great prices.

Be sure to go to their website, steinmart.com, and at the top you'll see the word Coupons. Click on that and put in your zip code and you might get coupons that will make your purchase even better.

Good luck and congratulations on your weight loss.

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:13 pm

1. Dark jeans only.
2. Men's Warehouse has decent stuff, but they will fit you with a sport coat/jacket that will be too big for you. They are old school that way.
3. Get out of your comfort zone with color combinations. Gray slacks with brown dress shoes for example. It works.
4. Find a couple store clerks you trust (like at Dillards) and go slowly buying new stuff. Try lots of things and buy a little at a time (if anything). Take. Your. Time.

My wife trades work with a wardrobe consultant, so I have had the luxury of someone going through my closet and telling me what for. It was a very valuable experience.
The Village Idiot - here for your entertainment.

kitteh

Post by kitteh » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:30 am

Atilla wrote:Gray slacks with brown dress shoes for example. It works.
No, it doesn't :-)

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:50 am

kitteh wrote:
Atilla wrote:Gray slacks with brown dress shoes for example. It works.
No, it doesn't :-)
IMO black shoes should almost exclusively be worn with suits or more formal attire. Even then, brown shoes work with a light- to mid- gray suit, and can be worn with navy. Brown shoes are a much better choice with anything less casual than a suit, like chinos or gray trousers worn with/without an odd jacket.

This pic is from the Put This On blog and I downloaded it months ago for my reference. I think it illustrates the point nicely.

Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:20 am

magazinewriter wrote:Munchkin Man, I agree that Stein Mart has high quality items at great prices.

Be sure to go to their website, steinmart.com, and at the top you'll see the word Coupons. Click on that and put in your zip code and you might get coupons that will make your purchase even better.

Good luck and congratulations on your weight loss.
Greetings magazinewriter:

The Munchkin Man would like to thank you for your words of congratulations and your very helpful suggestion.

The Munchkin Man has already followed your advice.

The Munchkin Man entered the Munchkin Man's zip code in the "Coupons" section of the Stein Mart web site.

The Munchkin Man has already printed out a couple of their coupons.

The Munchkin Man is also very glad to hear that you agree that Stein Mart carries some high quality merchandise at great prices.

As the Munchkin Man previously mentioned, the Munchkin Man did not make any purchases during the Munchkin Man's first ever visit to Stein Mart yesterday.

However, the Munchkin Man had a dream about one of their Alan Flusser shirts last night.

The Munchkin Man can't stop thinking about it.

It was a real beauty.

This means that the Munchkin Man will probably drive back out there today and buy that shirt if it is still available.

Thanks again for your excellent suggestion.

Good luck to you.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man

Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:12 am

Atilla wrote:1. Dark jeans only.
2. Men's Warehouse has decent stuff, but they will fit you with a sport coat/jacket that will be too big for you. They are old school that way.
3. Get out of your comfort zone with color combinations. Gray slacks with brown dress shoes for example. It works.
4. Find a couple store clerks you trust (like at Dillards) and go slowly buying new stuff. Try lots of things and buy a little at a time (if anything). Take. Your. Time.

My wife trades work with a wardrobe consultant, so I have had the luxury of someone going through my closet and telling me what for. It was a very valuable experience.
Greetings Atilla:

The Munchkin Man would like to thank you for your comments and suggestions.

You will be pleased to learn that the Munchkin Man is planning to purchase a new pair of dark jeans during the month of April.

The Munchkin Man has not yet made a visit to a Men''s Warehouse store yet.

However, the Munchkin Man did have a sales associate from Nordstrom's measure the Munchkin Man for a sport coat.

He concluded that the best sport coat size for the Munchkin Man was a 42-regular.

The Munchkin Man tried one on and it fit perfectly.

However, the Munchkin Man did not buy it.

The Munchkin Man is holding off on the purchase of a new sport coat until the first week in July.

This is in preparation for the Munchkin Man's 45th year high school class reunion that is scheduled for the last week in July.

The Munchkin Man does not forsee the need for a sport coat between now and then.

In regard to shoes..............

The Munchkin Man has always preferred black dress shoes to brown dress shoes.

However, the Munchkin Man does like brown casual shoes.

The following is one which is on the Munchkin Man's list to buy:

http://www.sperrytopsider.com/store/Sit ... QgodVlsAZQ

The Munchkin Man likes the Sperry Top-Sider look and style.

The Munchkin Man has already found a sales associate from both Dillard's and Nordstrom's that the Munchkin Man likes.

The Munchkin Man will be working with them very closely during the coming months.

The Munchkin Man is also going about the process of purchasing and developing the Munchkin Man's new casual wardrobe very slowly.

The Munchkin Man has learned from experience that impulse buying does not work out very well when it comes to buying new clothes.

The Munchkin Man has also learned how important it is to try things on.

For example:

The Munchkin Man recently tried on a pair of pants at Nordstrom's with a 36" waist.

They were too big for the Munchkin Man.

But the same pair of pants with a 34" waist fit the Munchkin Man perfectly.

The Munchkin Man also tried on a pair of Dockers at Dillard's with a 34" waist.

They were much too tight for the Munchkin Man.

But the same pair of pants with a 36" waist fit the Munchkin Man perfectly.

Therefore, depending upon how a pair of pants are "cut", the Munchkin Man can wear pants with a waist size in the range of 34" to 36".

The Munchkin Man feels the most comfortable with the "relaxed fit" cut and style.

When it comes to buying pants, the Munchkin Man has learned that it is absolutely essential to try them on.

This is truly an adventure for the Munchkin Man.

In closing, the Munchkin Man would like to thank you once again for your comments and suggestions.

Good luck to you.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man

Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:59 am

Munchkin Man wrote:
As the Munchkin Man previously mentioned, the Munchkin Man did not make any purchases during the Munchkin Man's first ever visit to Stein Mart yesterday.

However, the Munchkin Man had a dream about one of their Alan Flusser shirts last night.

The Munchkin Man can't stop thinking about it.

It was a real beauty.

This means that the Munchkin Man will probably drive back out there today and buy that shirt if it is still available.

Munchkin Man
Greetings To All:

The Munchkin Man has just returned from Stein Mart after buying that shirt.

Now the Munchkin Man can stop dreaming about it and start wearing it.

The Munchkin Man loves it!

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man

Sam314159

Post by Sam314159 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:40 pm

MM, consider a trip or two to your local thrift store. It's a little hit or miss, but you likely can walk out with 2x pants and 2x shirts for under $20. They might not be your first-line fanciest casual clothes, but they will be a good way to try out what you might like and add some volume to your wardrobe. Might depend on how well stocked your local thrift store is.

beachplum

Post by beachplum » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:42 pm

hi,

I buy most of my husband's casual clothes at Lord and Taylor's and buy most things on sale at very good prices. They have their own excellent store brand at good prices especially when there is a sale. You can also find name brand polos, such as ralph lauren, at TJ max.
wendy

Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:25 pm

Sam314159 wrote:MM, consider a trip or two to your local thrift store. It's a little hit or miss, but you likely can walk out with 2x pants and 2x shirts for under $20. They might not be your first-line fanciest casual clothes, but they will be a good way to try out what you might like and add some volume to your wardrobe. Might depend on how well stocked your local thrift store is.
Greetings Sam314159:

The Munchkin Man would like to thank you for your suggestion of a local thrift store.

You will be pleased to learn that the Munchkin Man recently conducted an online research of the thrift stores in the Munchkin Man's area.

The Munchkin Man has aleady picked out of these thrift stores in particular which received a very high rating for their clothes.

The reviews mentioned that their clothes are well organized and arranged by sizes.

The Munchkin Man is planning to take a visit to this thrift store during the month of April.

If the Munchkin Man is impressed with this thrift store, the Munchkin Man will probably visit it at least once a month.

The Munchkin Man is hoping that any pants and shirts the Munchkin Man buys from this thrift store will serve as "supporting players" among the shirts and pants the Munchkin Man has already bought.

Maybe the Munchkin Man will be able to find a nice sport coat at this thrift store, in the Munchkin Man's size of 42-regular, at a dirt cheap price.

The Munchkin Man has already concluded that the Munchkin Man does not need to spend $500 or more for a decent sport coat.

Even the high quality brand name sport coats at Stein Mart were discounted to under $200.

A routine visit to this particular thrift store, and possibly some others, is definitely going to be a new routine in the Munchkin Man's repertoire of clothes shopping strategies.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man