Benefits of buying a new car at a local dealership?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CountryBoy

Benefits of buying a new car at a local dealership?

Post by CountryBoy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:44 pm

Could people discuss the pluses and minuses of buying a (Toyota) car locally vs. driving to a distant dealership to get a lot better price?

I have not settled on a model car to buy at the moment but it is my understanding that it is best to go where the price is lowest. In that case how far afield do you go?

My 99 Camry could go at any time and I just want to be prepared.

Thanks.

mike143

Re: Benefits of buying a new car at a local dealership?

Post by mike143 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:51 pm

I don't think there is any benefit if they are not going to offer the best price. They are paid for warranty work so they should be happy to see you no matter if you buy it from them or not. If you want to support your local dealership, that is up to you.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.

magellan

Post by magellan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:11 pm

I've bought new cars from both local and distant Toyota dealerships and had warranty work and some basic service done at the local dealer in both cases. I didn't notice any difference in treatment based on where I bought the car.

Jim

dkdoy

Post by dkdoy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:16 pm

magellan wrote:I've bought new cars from both local and distant Toyota dealerships and had warranty work and some basic service done at the local dealer in both cases. I didn't notice any difference in treatment based on where I bought the car.

Jim

+1

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:34 pm

The only time I noticed any issue was with big ticket issues, but I knew could argue them into fixing it. For mine, it was a crack in the paint on the hood and a whistling inside the truck at highway speeds. First required a repaint and the second was a missing seal for the wiring through the firewall on the "port-installed" alarm. Both noticed within days of purchase. The dealer wasn't the closest to my house, but was still in my county. My closest dealer said I had to take it to the selling dealership. But the other dealer wasn't just 20 miles away, I'm sure I could have raised a fit for them to fix it. The selling dealership ended up telling me that the SE Toyota distributor paid for the repairs. If that is any indication, then I would keep my radius as big as the distributorship for your area.

CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:42 pm

Re: the need to
keep my radius as big as the distributorship for your area.
What is the definition of "distributorship" in my area? There are Toyota dealers all over the tri-county area outside NYC. What constitutes a boundary line inside and outside?

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:50 pm

As mentioned above, I don't think it usually matters which new car dealer you use.

Buy from the one with the lowest price within a reasonable distance from you - what you deem a "reasonable distance" is entirely up to you. Ten miles? Three hundred miles?

I don't know what method you use to find the best price, but here's a thread with some useful information:
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=111683
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

RenoJay

Post by RenoJay » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:55 pm

A car is a commodity and the one you get locally will be exactly like the one that's more distant. Furthermore, the distant dealer will likely deliver it to you. (I recently bought a new car where the dealer drove it 300 miles to deliver it.) I'd pay maybe an extra $100 - $200 to "help the local economy" but no more. The local dealership will still be more than happy to service the vehicle for you regardless of where you buy it. I do think it's fair to give the local dealership a chance to match the offer you get from the distant one, but don't buy into their rap about how to value their locality. (The distant dealership is giving the same rap to their locals, but somehow they're still able to offer YOU a better value. Go figure.)

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:14 am

RenoJay wrote:I do think it's fair to give the local dealership a chance to match the offer you get from the distant one.
I'd give them a chance to beat the distant dealership, if only by a few dollars. But if they would only match it I'd give my business to the one that gave me the price first.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:37 am

CountryBoy wrote:Re: the need to
keep my radius as big as the distributorship for your area.
What is the definition of "distributorship" in my area? There are Toyota dealers all over the tri-county area outside NYC. What constitutes a boundary line inside and outside?
History
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2008/0 ... nder-fire/

Geography covered (the first post)
http://www.siennachat.com/forum/93-toyo ... s-usa.html

mike143

Post by mike143 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:09 am

$660 ($500 purchase price and $160 saved on financing) was the price that made us buy my wife's car the next town over. They almost lost our business due to their very poor business practices but for $660 (near a weekly pay check after taxes/401k) we could justify continuing with them.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.

lwfitzge

Post by lwfitzge » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:30 am

I live in a rural part of my state where I found the lower volume dealer unwilling to deal at a price I negotiate at a larger distant volume dealers on the other end of my state. I don't mean to imply that always the case but has been for me with the brand I've been buying. Servicing local has not been a problem..they still like my money.

Browser

Post by Browser » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:52 am

I'm looking at new cars and just visited a local Acura dealership. They were big on touting their level of service, which includes top loaner vehicles even for oil changes, picking your car up at home for service, etc. So, in the case of a luxury vehicle, buying from a local dealership might make a difference. I usually don't shop upscale so never had a reason to favor a local dealer. Have bought Hondas and there was never any difference in quality of service whether bought locally or not that I could tell.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.

snowman

Post by snowman » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:55 am

It will make zero difference post-purchase. I would reward the dealer giving you the best price.

CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:03 am

I am reading closely what people have said and have started the process by setting up a special email account.

Thanks folks.

RenoJay

Post by RenoJay » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:09 am

Browser wrote:I'm looking at new cars and just visited a local Acura dealership. They were big on touting their level of service, which includes top loaner vehicles even for oil changes, picking your car up at home for service, etc. So, in the case of a luxury vehicle, buying from a local dealership might make a difference. I usually don't shop upscale so never had a reason to favor a local dealer. Have bought Hondas and there was never any difference in quality of service whether bought locally or not that I could tell.
My new car is an Acura that I had delivered from 300 miles away. The local dealership will definitely still give the same level of support.

Browser

Post by Browser » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:13 am

RenoJay wrote:
Browser wrote:I'm looking at new cars and just visited a local Acura dealership. They were big on touting their level of service, which includes top loaner vehicles even for oil changes, picking your car up at home for service, etc. So, in the case of a luxury vehicle, buying from a local dealership might make a difference. I usually don't shop upscale so never had a reason to favor a local dealer. Have bought Hondas and there was never any difference in quality of service whether bought locally or not that I could tell.
My new car is an Acura that I had delivered from 300 miles away. The local dealership will definitely still give the same level of support.
Did you purchase at a dealer 300 miles away and they delivered it? How did that work? I'd like to be able to shop price on an Acura if I decide to buy one.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.

jwblue

Post by jwblue » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:26 pm

I would not want a stranger driving my new vehicle during the break in period which is usually the first 1,000 miles.

There is some care that needs to be taken during this period and I am sure the stranger driving it would not take that care.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:51 pm

The local dealer for one of my cars (I ended up buying at one 100 miles away) will only give you a loaner car for routine or warranty service if you bought your car there. I can deal with that for the $2000 I saved via buying from the far-away dealer. The local dealer pretty much has a monopoly for sales of this particular brand within 30 miles of where I live, and their prices reflect it.

Basically, when I was buying the car, I started at the local dealer. To get the exact car I wanted, they would've had to trade with another dealer. They wouldn't budge much on price for that car. I ended up finding which dealer had that exact car (there was only one exact match for what I wanted on the whole east coast at the time), went there, and they made me a deal I couldn't refuse.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:55 pm

jwblue wrote:I would not want a stranger driving my new vehicle during the break in period which is usually the first 1,000 miles.

There is some care that needs to be taken during this period and I am sure the stranger driving it would not take that care.
I would agree with that to an extent, however, in my observations, most of the "dealer delivery guys" are usually retirees in their 60s and 70s who do it part time for a few bucks. I usually see these folks doing 55 in the right lane of the interstate while delivering a car. Not exactly "speed racer" types, though I guess you never know for sure.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:16 pm

Ha, I also want to buy a new car very soon, and noticed that one of my 2 local dealerships messed up an oil change (left in old oil filter gasket or overfilled) on my old car... so what now?

Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:38 am

CountryBoy wrote:Could people discuss the pluses and minuses of buying a (Toyota) car locally vs. driving to a distant dealership to get a lot better price?

I have not settled on a model car to buy at the moment but it is my understanding that it is best to go where the price is lowest. In that case how far afield do you go?

My 99 Camry could go at any time and I just want to be prepared.

Thanks.
Normally (if the dealership is smart) and you have a service history with them, they will give you a better deal than someone out of town. Because, they make back the $$$ on service.

If they aren't smart, and won't match or beat the deal you can get somewhere else, get the vehicle somewhere else. They will still be happy to service it.
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)

plannerman

Post by plannerman » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:22 pm

This may not apply to you since I don't know what state you live in. But, it is my understanding, that all Toyotas in the southeast come through a distributor rather than directly from Toyota.
At least in the case of Highlanders, the distributor packs on up to about $2400 worth of mostly unwanted options on each car--obviously raising the price. The options do very some by location, apparently due to local competitive conditions.

So going out of the distributor's area to buy can save a lot more than a few hundred dollars.

plannerman

wesleymouch

Post by wesleymouch » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:44 pm

Car servicing is their money maker. They don't care where you buy it. They will be glad to see you. Better yet use an independent garage for servicing, you'll save 50%

Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:05 pm

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shawcroft

Post by shawcroft » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:10 pm

CountryBoy wrote:I am reading closely what people have said and have started the process by setting up a special email account.

That is a great idea.....sort of a single purpose e-mail account.

Cherokee8215 wrote:.....in my observations, most of the "dealer delivery guys" are usually retirees in their 60s and 70s who do it part time for a few bucks. I usually see these folks doing 55 in the right lane of the interstate while delivering a car. Not exactly "speed racer" types, though I guess you never know for sure.
Cherokee: You are right on. I was having some warranty work done on our Outback by the dealer and found one of those delivery guys hanging around the coffee pot. He had just driven down a new, loaded Outback from Massachusetts and was waiting for the exchange car to be prepared for him to drive back. He was 76, retired from teaching, and does one of these deliveries each week- just for spending money- doesn't want to take any extra money out of their savings for play money ( sounds like a closet Boglehead) . He has actually flown out to Michigan to pick up a special order car and drive it back. Said he LOVED that trip.
Shawcroft

hq38sq43

Post by hq38sq43 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:54 pm

Dealer I bought 2011 Accord from offered a 2013 model for my car and $8,900 OTD, saying it was their "very best" deal. Emailed that offer to a dealer 40 miles away and was assured a trip to them would be worthwhile. It was: my car and $7,500 OTD. Short, friendly negotiation; in the door and out in 2 hours. My best experience ever buying a new car. Reason for buying new so soon were the rave reviews for the 2013 Accord, which experience of two days local driving and 1,000 mile trip ended yesterday fully bears out. Moral: it pays to shop around, regardless of good previous experience with local dealer.
Harry at Bradenton

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:27 pm

I'd expect a poor experience out of both. :-) It's a necessary evil to buy a new car, but after that I avoid completely.

btenny

Post by btenny » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:39 pm

I just did the new car buying thing via the Costco dealer program and had a wonderful experience. I got a great price and good financing and had a good dealer experience. The whole thing took 6ish phone calls (they did not have exactly what I wanted so they had to find it and trade) and two emails and one visit to the dealer for 3 hours to complete paperwork and pick up the car. Yes the dealer was 130 miles away. But the dealer nearest our house is 40 miles away and not so good with lots of bad reviews some of which I have heard first hand. So net net I was glad to do busines farther away.

Bill

CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:24 pm

Many thanks for your responses to this thread; most appreciated.