Advice Wanted On A New Cell Phone

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Advice Wanted On A New Cell Phone

Post by Munchkin Man »

Greetings To All:

The Munchkin Man would like some advice on the purchase of a new cell phone.

The Munchkin Man has a cell phone.

But the Munchkin Man doesn't like it.

It is a very primitive cell phone.

It is touted as being a very simple cell phone to operate.

But it really isn't.

It makes the Munchkin Man jump through all sorts of hoops to make it work.

As a result, the Munchkin Man hardly ever uses it.

In fact, the Munchkin Man has not used it in quite some time.

The Munchkin Man has never really warmed up to the use of cell phones.

The Munchkin Man needs to become more comfortable with cell phones.

The Munchkin Man has come to the realization that cell phones have become a modern day necessity.

Especially for emergencies.

After all, there are very few pay phones left around these days.

The Munchkin Man only wants a cell phone for the following intended purposes:

1) To call AAA in case of a roadside emergency.

2) To call 911 in case of a more serious emergency.

3) To contact a friend or a relative in case of an emergency.

4) To take a picture at an opportune moment.

The Munchkin Man has no interest in talking on a cell phone while the Munchkin Man is driving.

The Munchkin Man needs to concentrate on driving while the Munchkin Man is driving.

The Munchkin Man has no interest in talking on a cell phone while working out at the YMCA.

The Munchkin Man has no interest in talking on a cell phone while going for a walk.

The Munchkin Man has no interest in talking on a cell phone while shopping at the grocery store.

The Munchkin Man has no interest in talking on a cell phone while shopping at the shopping mall.

The Munchkin Man has no interest in talking on a cell phone while eating out at a restaurant.

The Munchkin Man has never been a "multitasker."

The Munchkin Man needs to concentrate on doing only one thing at a time.

That's how the Munchkin Man is "wired."

The Munchkin Man does not relate to this modern day need to "stay connected" at all times.

The Munchkin Man would much rather conduct a social phone conversation from the Munchkin Man's old-fashioned landline phone when the Munchkin Man is at home.

The Munchkin Man would rather send an email message from the Munchkin Man's home computer when the Munchkin Man is at home.

The Munchkin Man would rather check on how the Munchkin Man's stocks are doing when the Munchkin Man is at home.

The Munchkin Man has no interest in texting, except in the case of a dire emergency.

The Munchkin Man has tried texting a few times.

The Munchkin Man hated it.

The Munchkin Man has found that the practice of texting encourages poor grammar and incorrect spelling.

The only extra features the Munchkin Man is really looking for in a cell phone is the capability to take pictures and the ability to send an email message in case of an emergency.

The Munchkin Man does not have much interest in many of these things they call "apps."

If the Munchkin Man ever gets a Facebook account, the Munchkin Man would have no interest in checking on the Munchkin Man's Facebook account from the Munchkin Man's cell phone.

The Munchkin Man would rather do this from the Munchkin Man's home computer when the Munchkin Man is at home.

The Munchkin Man only wants a simple cell phone which can handle the Munchkin Man's emergency needs when they arise and which can also take pictures when desired.

Based upon what the Munchkin Man has described, can any of you personally recommend a relatively inexpensive but decent quality cell phone which would fulfill the needs the Munchkin Man has described above?

Can the Munchkin Man buy such a cell phone of a decent quality for under $400?

Can the Munchkin Man buy such a cell phone for a very reasonable monthly payment plan?

Any and all comments, recommendations, and suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Good luck to all.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
The Wizard

Re: Advice Wanted On A New Cell Phone

Post by The Wizard »

I'm an Android smartphone person which is not what you want.
But I'm wondering how one would get pictures OFF a phone without internet access and without taking the cover off and removing the memory chip.
Perhaps with a USB power-cord?
Attempted new signature...
crow

Post by crow »

I LOVE your posts!

I'm in the same boat. I'm going to check WalMart's "Straight Talk" plan. It's supposedly unlimited text, talk and data for about 50 a month. The up front phone charges may be more, but it will be much cheaper in the long run. I refuse to pay 200 a month for a phone with data plan when I rarely use that feature. Let us know what you wind up with.

Crow
gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 »

Sounds like you only want a phone that you pay minutes for, not a monthly payment plan.

I have a TracFone that includes double minutes, and you can get a pretty decent phone with a better camera than and still only have to buy minutes. Don't get one that you have to buy a card every month because it sounds like you'd never use all of your minutes and data.

This is definitely the way to go in your situation.
gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 »

crow wrote:I LOVE your posts!

I'm in the same boat. I'm going to check WalMart's "Straight Talk" plan. It's supposedly unlimited text, talk and data for about 50 a month. The up front phone charges may be more, but it will be much cheaper in the long run. I refuse to pay 200 a month for a phone with data plan when I rarely use that feature. Let us know what you wind up with.

Crow
I had a Straight Talk phone, and I use mine about as frequenly as the OP uses theirs, and I just didn't find it economical. I spend $20 maybe every other month with my TracFone.
mhc

Post by mhc »

The Wizard wrote:I'm an Android smartphone person which is not what you want.
But I'm wondering how one would get pictures OFF a phone without internet access and without taking the cover off and removing the memory chip.
I did it this weekend for the first time for my DW. Plug a usb cable into the phone and into the computer. Windows 7 automatically loaded the proper driver, and I was able to easily grab the jpg off of the phone. Less than 5 minutes, and I had never done this before.

MM, my DW has a tracfone that can take pictures. The phone was less than $50 and only costs us $75/yr for service and minutes.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

kittywireless.com These guys can help you. Sounds like you are looking for a dumb phone. Just sign up, ask a couple questions and you will be set.
ilisira

Post by ilisira »

You are right, either USB cable (my motorola razr from 2005 was able to do this, which I have used until 2010 btw), or bluetooth in addition to using the memory card on the computer(I would guess micro SD these days) would do the job. Also, if the photo is needed only to share with others, MMS (think of it as text for multimedia) would work..
Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn »

I recommend the Samsung Galaxy S4, it will be available within 'a few days'. I was told that it would be available for purchase on Thurs from an ATT rep, but I'm leary that they were correct. A press conference is scheduled for the 14th when they are supposed to officially announce the official date.
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

I share many of your cell phone related preferences. I only got my own cell phone in July 2010, I believe I was the last US adult under the age of 60 to get his own cell phone.

FWIW, I have been happy with a Sanyo Mirro (SCP 3810) on Boost mobile, but it looks like it is not too available any more. I like the large buttons and that things like "talk" and "end" are clearly labeled.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

ilisira wrote:
You are right, either USB cable (my motorola razr from 2005 was able to do this, which I have used until 2010 btw), or bluetooth in addition to using the memory card on the computer(I would guess micro SD these days) would do the job. Also, if the photo is needed only to share with others, MMS (think of it as text for multimedia) would work..
I use a Palm Pre 2 (Verizon) on Page Plus. They can be purchased for around $50 on eBay. When you plug the phone into your computer with a USB cord is gives you the choice of charging or using as a USB drive. If you choose USB drive it just becomes another drive on your machine.

The Palm Pre 2 has a great 5 megapixel camera - some of the best pics I've seen from a cell phone. It runs circles around an iPhone camera.

Getting the Palm set up with Page Plus can be a bit of a hassle for someone who is not tech oriented but once done it's easy to use and Page Plus offers prepaid plans for as little as $30 per year (which is what I use).
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
trudy

Post by trudy »

Wait, am I Munchkin Man? No, but almost.

Except for taking pictures and email, I have the same list. Do you really need to take pictures and send email?

I am happy with my Samsung which is over ten years old, maybe even fifteen years old. I have long since run past the end of contract with Verizon Wireless. It costs me about $30 a month. They have some low cost plan that they don't tell you about unless you push.

Be sure your phone has E911, that is the feature that automatically sends your location when you call 911. I don't know if that is standard on phones now. When I bought my phone, I had to look for it and the customer service people had no idea what I was talking about. Mostly they thought I meant could I dial 911.
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

jeffyscott wrote: I believe I was the last US adult under the age of 60 to get his own cell phone.
Ha ha, no. I still don't have one.

Brian
Lollytiger

Post by Lollytiger »

Lollytiger would suggest that a cell phone for the Munchkin Man's needs can be easily purchased for under $400. The Nexus 4, arguably the best smartphone, costs $350. Lollytiger understands that the Nexus 4 is something of an anomaly. Nevertheless, the original statement holds true. Given that a cell phone costs less than $400, Lollytiger thinks there is no reason to pay off a cell phone in installments. But Lollytiger would strongly advocate that the voice plan be a monthly prepaid plan. Lollytiger believes that the contract system is an abomination. Although Lollytiger does not endorse it, AT&T's GoPhone is an example of a prepaid plan.

Unfortunately, Lollytiger suspects that only smartphones would have good cameras. Improvements in technology are normally only applied to the latest products. Lollytiger does not think that people who purchase basic phones are considered to have discriminating tastes in technology by the major manufacturers.

Lollytiger has had a smartphone for a few months. Lollytiger purchased this smartphone because his coworkers thought he was insane for having a basic phone. Lollytiger does not know if it is worth the money, but he finds the maps function useful as well as the real-time transit information. Lollytiger thinks the Munchkin Man may have to make a choice between good camera quality and the "less is more" principle.

Lollytiger remembers The Verge reviewed a cell phone with an exceptional camera. Lollytiger has found the link: http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/25/31134 ... iew-review Lollytiger would never buy the Nokia 808. The Nokia 808 is a terrible smartphone. However, Lollytiger thinks it might be suited to the Munchkin Man's use case if the Munchkin Man really cares about the camera. If the Munchkin Man does not care that much about the camera, Lollytiger agrees the Munchkin Man should buy a basic phone.

Lollytiger used to use a Samsung a777. Lollytiger is not aware that the Samsung a777 was anything special, but Lollytiger had no complaints. Lollytiger believes the Munchkin Man would be satisfied with any modern basic phone. However, Lollytiger would recommend the Munchkin Man not buy a phone branded with the name of a carrier. Lollytiger believes the US carriers are an abomination.

Lollytiger would probably buy something like this: http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/Phones/cel ... ID=4144842 But Lollytiger would only buy it if he did not have to take a 2 year contract.
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

Greetings To All:

The Munchkin Man would like to thank each and every one of you who has posted their comments and recommendations so far.

The Munchkin Man is making a list of all of your recommendations and suggestions.

The Munchkin Man will be researching each and every one of them during the next few weeks.

The purchase of the Munchkin Man's new cell phone is a decision that the Munchkin Man does not want to rush into.

Thanks again to all.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

gvsucavie03 wrote:Sounds like you only want a phone that you pay minutes for, not a monthly payment plan.

I have a TracFone that includes double minutes, and you can get a pretty decent phone with a better camera than and still only have to buy minutes. Don't get one that you have to buy a card every month because it sounds like you'd never use all of your minutes and data.

This is definitely the way to go in your situation.
Greetings gvsucavie03:

The Munchkin Man would like to thank you for your recommendation of the TracFone.

The Munchkin Man has read and heard a lot of positive comments about the TracFone.

The Munchkin Man would also much rather pay for minutes instead of becoming locked into a monthly payment plan.

The Munchkin Man will give the TracFone the Munchkin Man's highest consideration.

Thanks again.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

jeffyscott wrote:I share many of your cell phone related preferences. I only got my own cell phone in July 2010, I believe I was the last US adult under the age of 60 to get his own cell phone.

FWIW, I have been happy with a Sanyo Mirro (SCP 3810) on Boost mobile, but it looks like it is not too available any more. I like the large buttons and that things like "talk" and "end" are clearly labeled.

Greetings jeffyscott:

The Munchkin Man would like to thank you for your comments.

You have identified a desired feature that the Munchkin Man forgot to mention in the Munchkin Man's original post in this topic thread.

The Munchkin Man would definitely like to have a cell phone with large buttons.

The Munchkin Man does not like cell phones with tiny buttons that are hard to see.

The Munchkin Man would like to be able to push the right buttons on the Munchkin Man's new cell phone without having to use a magnifying glass.

Therefore, a cell phone with large and visible buttons is definitely a must.

Thanks again for your comments.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

trudy wrote:Wait, am I Munchkin Man? No, but almost.

Except for taking pictures and email, I have the same list. Do you really need to take pictures and send email?

I am happy with my Samsung which is over ten years old, maybe even fifteen years old. I have long since run past the end of contract with Verizon Wireless. It costs me about $30 a month. They have some low cost plan that they don't tell you about unless you push.

Be sure your phone has E911, that is the feature that automatically sends your location when you call 911. I don't know if that is standard on phones now. When I bought my phone, I had to look for it and the customer service people had no idea what I was talking about. Mostly they thought I meant could I dial 911.
Greetings trudy:

The Munchkin Man would like to thank you very much for your comments.

The Munchkin Man would also like to thank you for advising the Munchkin Man about E911.

The Munchkin Man had never heard of E911 before.

The Munchkin Man has so very much to learn about cell phones.

A cell phone with the capacity to take pictures is not a necessity.

It is just something the Munchkin Man would like to have if it is not too expensive.

However, a cell phone with the ability to send an email message is definitely something the Munchkin Man would like to have.

The Munchkin Man will now explain why.

The Munchkin Man's personal home computer is the only computer that the Munchkin Man has.

The Munchkin Man does not own a laptop computer or any other technological device with the capability of sending an email message.

Therefore, at the present time, the only means with which the Munchkin Man has to send an email message is through the Munchkin Man's personal home computer.

In the event that the Munchkin Man's personal home computer conks out, the Munchkin Man would like to have ready and immediate access to a means which would enable the Munchkin Man to send an email message.

The Munchkin Man has already learned the hard way that using a public computer is not a viable option.

About a year ago the Munchkin Man caught a nasty email virus by using a public computer at a FEDEX store.

As a result, many of the Munchkin Man's friends and email contacts began to receive spam email messages from the Munchkin Man that the Munchkin Man did not send.

This caused some of the Munchkin Man's friends and email contacts to get mad at the Munchkin Man.

Therefore, the Munchkin Man would like to have a cell phone with email capability, so that the Munchkin Man will have a safe and ready means to send an email message, in the event that the Munchkin Man's personal home computer conks out.

The Munchkin Man believes that a cell phone with email capability would fill that need nicely without having to spend a lot of money on a laptop computer or any other similar technological device.

The Munchkin Man would like to thank you once again for your very informative comments.

Good luck to you.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

Lollytiger wrote:Lollytiger would suggest that a cell phone for the Munchkin Man's needs can be easily purchased for under $400. The Nexus 4, arguably the best smartphone, costs $350. Lollytiger understands that the Nexus 4 is something of an anomaly. Nevertheless, the original statement holds true. Given that a cell phone costs less than $400, Lollytiger thinks there is no reason to pay off a cell phone in installments. But Lollytiger would strongly advocate that the voice plan be a monthly prepaid plan. Lollytiger believes that the contract system is an abomination. Although Lollytiger does not endorse it, AT&T's GoPhone is an example of a prepaid plan.

Unfortunately, Lollytiger suspects that only smartphones would have good cameras. Improvements in technology are normally only applied to the latest products. Lollytiger does not think that people who purchase basic phones are considered to have discriminating tastes in technology by the major manufacturers.

Lollytiger has had a smartphone for a few months. Lollytiger purchased this smartphone because his coworkers thought he was insane for having a basic phone. Lollytiger does not know if it is worth the money, but he finds the maps function useful as well as the real-time transit information. Lollytiger thinks the Munchkin Man may have to make a choice between good camera quality and the "less is more" principle.

Lollytiger remembers The Verge reviewed a cell phone with an exceptional camera. Lollytiger has found the link: http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/25/31134 ... iew-review Lollytiger would never buy the Nokia 808. The Nokia 808 is a terrible smartphone. However, Lollytiger thinks it might be suited to the Munchkin Man's use case if the Munchkin Man really cares about the camera. If the Munchkin Man does not care that much about the camera, Lollytiger agrees the Munchkin Man should buy a basic phone.

Lollytiger used to use a Samsung a777. Lollytiger is not aware that the Samsung a777 was anything special, but Lollytiger had no complaints. Lollytiger believes the Munchkin Man would be satisfied with any modern basic phone. However, Lollytiger would recommend the Munchkin Man not buy a phone branded with the name of a carrier. Lollytiger believes the US carriers are an abomination.

Lollytiger would probably buy something like this: http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/Phones/cel ... ID=4144842 But Lollytiger would only buy it if he did not have to take a 2 year contract.
Greetings Lollytiger:

The Munchkin Man would like to thank you for very detailed comments and recommendations.

The Munchkin Man fully agrees with you that contract plans for cell phones are abominations.

The Munchkin Man's current cell phone is one with a separate U.S. carrier.

As you mentioned, it is an abomination.

This carrier is very difficult to reach by phone.

They put the Munchkin Man on hold for long periods of time when it is time to order more minutes.

The Munchkin Man has given up on this cell phone and its carrier altogether.

Based upon your comments, the Munchkin Man will definitely stay away from the Nokia 808.

The Munchkin Man will also check out and research the Samsung cell phone you suggested in the last paragraph of your post.

Thank you once again for your richly detailed comments and suggestions.

Good luck to you.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Munchkin Man wrote: However, a cell phone with the ability to send an email message is definitely something the Munchkin Man would like to have...
Email is fine, but you're crossing the line into the world of the Internet and data plans.
I pay about $60 a month for unlimited 3G data on my Verizon Wireless smartphone (in addition to voice calls), which gives me all sorts of fun stuff in addition to email. Stuff like weather maps, traffic condition maps, navigation via GPS, finding restaurants of a particular type, on & on. It's a portable computer more than simply a "phone".

If $60 a month is too much for someone's budget then I understand. For me, it's not a lot of bucks, especially since I terminated my home wired phone...
Attempted new signature...
midareff

Post by midareff »

crow wrote:I LOVE your posts!

Crow

LOL...... AT&T old style flip phone for me and a Motorola Razor for her, also AT&T. Data, text and international calling blocked. When she needs to call Thailand she uses a free service on her tablet via wi-fi. We both use wi-fi computers a lot at home and don't have a land line. Photos can come off a phone to a computer via bluetooth. The service is about $65 a month for both of us. .. something like 650 minutes prime + unlimited nights and weekends. We barely use half of it.
trudy

Post by trudy »

Munchkin Man wrote:
The Munchkin Man's personal home computer is the only computer that the Munchkin Man has.

The Munchkin Man does not own a laptop computer or any other technological device with the capability of sending an email message.
The Munchkin Man may wish to investigate spending about $200 for a used laptop via ebay. Some caution is needed, but trudy has purchased several over the years. A seller with a high approval rating and a lot of sales is desirable.

trudy originally bought HP laptops, but they tend to fail after about a year (the hinges break or the USB ports fail and they run too hot to be comfortable in a lap.) She currently has a Thinkpad, and even a backup Thinkpad stashed in a closet (she no longer has a desktop computer, and does not want to be without email if one of the laptops bellies up.) Unlike the HPs, the Thinkpad has been very reliable, no problems, very quiet, and does not run hot. So much nicer to cosy up with it in a recliner than work at a desk with a desktop.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

The Wizard wrote:
Munchkin Man wrote: However, a cell phone with the ability to send an email message is definitely something the Munchkin Man would like to have...
Email is fine, but you're crossing the line into the world of the Internet and data plans.
I pay about $60 a month for unlimited 3G data on my Verizon Wireless smartphone (in addition to voice calls), which gives me all sorts of fun stuff in addition to email. Stuff like weather maps, traffic condition maps, navigation via GPS, finding restaurants of a particular type, on & on. It's a portable computer more than simply a "phone".

If $60 a month is too much for someone's budget then I understand. For me, it's not a lot of bucks, especially since I terminated my home wired phone...
You can do email or the internet without buying data and you can have data without buying a monthly plan. My Palm Phone/Page Plus plan allows me to get my email through a wireless connection - and I imagine any smartphone would. When I'm traveling or just out and about I can pick up or send emails anywhere that I can get a wireless connection which are often free (I only use the free connections). If I really NEED to check email or do anything else on the internet I can use data which I pay for out of my prepaid balance. This is very seldom necessary so I leave my data turned off 99% of the time and just use wireless when available. The only 'trick' is to learn how to turn the phone's data capability on an off which is not much of a trick at all.
surfer1

Post by surfer1 »

Same here, no cell phone. But I do have an iTouch 4 with just wifi. I use it to make voip calls (via Pinger) when I'm in a hot-spot. More importantly, I use it for email and the web. I refuse to sign any ridiculous cell phone contract. I'm waiting for nation-wide wifi, and then cell phone contracts will be history.
Default User BR wrote:
jeffyscott wrote: I believe I was the last US adult under the age of 60 to get his own cell phone.
Ha ha, no. I still don't have one.
Brian
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

How about one of those Jitterbug phones?
avalpert

Post by avalpert »

Jerilynn wrote:I recommend the Samsung Galaxy S4, it will be available within 'a few days'. I was told that it would be available for purchase on Thurs from an ATT rep, but I'm leary that they were correct. A press conference is scheduled for the 14th when they are supposed to officially announce the official date.
I'm just curious but based on what in the original post did you conclude that the newest phone with all the bells and whistles would be a good fit?
avalpert

Post by avalpert »

FrugalInvestor wrote:
The Wizard wrote:

You can do email or the internet without buying data and you can have data without buying a monthly plan. My Palm Phone/Page Plus plan allows me to get my email through a wireless connection - and I imagine any smartphone would. When I'm traveling or just out and about I can pick up or send emails anywhere that I can get a wireless connection which are often free (I only use the free connections). If I really NEED to check email or do anything else on the internet I can use data which I pay for out of my prepaid balance. This is very seldom necessary so I leave my data turned off 99% of the time and just use wireless when available. The only 'trick' is to learn how to turn the phone's data capability on an off which is not much of a trick at all.
Since he said he wanted to be able to send email in an emergency -it wouldn't seem prudent to rely on wifi being available in an emergency. It might not be entirely prudent to rely on a 3g data connection either but at least it is more likely.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

avalpert wrote:
FrugalInvestor wrote:
The Wizard wrote:

Since he said he wanted to be able to send email in an emergency -it wouldn't seem prudent to rely on wifi being available in an emergency. It might not be entirely prudent to rely on a 3g data connection either but at least it is more likely.
If you need to send email you just turn on your data (takes about 5 seconds).
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

avalpert wrote:Since he said he wanted to be able to send email in an emergency -it wouldn't seem prudent to rely on wifi being available in an emergency. It might not be entirely prudent to rely on a 3g data connection either but at least it is more likely.
People was the term "emergency" in different ways.

In a real emergency you call 911. You don't need a subscription for this. (Many times you don't even need your own phone, there enough phones around that a polite or more urgent request will often bring help.)

If you have a lesser emergency and wifi is not available you have the option of making a call, text, or waiting till wifi is available, so the lack of email is not likely to be critical, although it may be inconvenient.
vv19

Post by vv19 »

Buy the Nexus 4, good sir. At that price, you CANNOT find a better phone.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

Since you want email, I think you will need some sort of smartphone, and a data plan.

T Mobile has two $30/month (their lowest cost option) pay as you go (no contract) plans; either one is probably more than you need.
a. $30 for 1500 minutes or messages/texts + 30mb of data. You could talk for 1000 minutes and send 500 texts + use 30mb of data.
b. $30 for 100 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited data (5gb at high speed, throttled after that)

T Mobile is unique among carriers in that many of their branded smartphones have something called wifi calling. Thus, you can get reception in areas where others don't get it if there is a wifi network you can access. It works through the regular cell phone interface so seamless to the user.

For hardware, buy a TMobile branded android prepaid phone. Find one whose price & features fit your goals. Many will have soft keyboards (ie on the screen keyboard) but the keys are large. The Samsung Exhibit II is under $200 and would do everything you want, including download photos via USB. It takes decent photos also.
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

The Wizard wrote:

Greetings To The Wizard:

The Munchkin Man would like to thank you for your comments.

If the Munchkin Man had no other choice but to purchase a monthly payment plan for a cell phone with email capabilities, the Munchkin Man would be willing to spend $60 a month.

But no more.

After analyzing the Munchkin Man's budget, the Munchkin Man has concluded that the Munchkin Man could probably afford this cost.

Of course, a cheaper plan would be better.

A plan that costs $60 a month would be the absolute "max."

The Munchkin Man has no desire to get rid of the Munchkin Man's beloved landline phone service.

The Munchkin Man doesn't really have the need or desire for the other features you mentioned.

For example, the Munchkin Man has survived so far in life without a GPS.

When the Munchkin Man needs directions to travel to an unfamiliar location, the Munchkin Man simply prints out a map and a set of directions from MapQuest.

Thanks again for your comments.

Good luck to you.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

Cherokee8215 wrote:How about one of those Jitterbug phones?
Greetings Cherokee8215:

The Munchkin Man would like to thank you for your suggestion.

The Munchkin Man has heard about the Jitterbug phones.

The cell phone the Munchkin Man has now is a Just5 cell phone.

This cell phone was reputed to be a "cut above" the Jitterbug cell phone.

Unfortunately, the Munchkin Man doesn't like the Just5 cell phone.

It makes the Munchkin Man jump through all sorts of hoops to make it work.

It makes the Munchkin Man have to contact a private carrier to add more minutes.

The instruction booklet for the Just5 cell phone is faulty with a lot of vague and erroneous directions.

Even the Munchkin Man's private technology tutor had a hard time figuring it out.

The Munchkin Man's private technology tutor also said that it gave him a nightmare one night.

The Munchkin Man has given up on the Just5 cell phone.

The Munchkin Man wants to step up to a better cell phone.

Thanks again for your recommendation.

Good luck to you.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

jay22 wrote:Buy the Nexus 4, good sir. At that price, you CANNOT find a better phone.
Greetings jay22:

The Munchkin Man would like to thank you for your recommendation of the Nexus 4 cell phone.

The Munchkin Man will add the Nexus 4 cell phone to the Munchkin Man's list for the Munchkin Man's research and due diligence.

Thanks again for your recommendation.

Good luck to you.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

Saving$ wrote:Since you want email, I think you will need some sort of smartphone, and a data plan.

T Mobile has two $30/month (their lowest cost option) pay as you go (no contract) plans; either one is probably more than you need.
a. $30 for 1500 minutes or messages/texts + 30mb of data. You could talk for 1000 minutes and send 500 texts + use 30mb of data.
b. $30 for 100 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited data (5gb at high speed, throttled after that)

T Mobile is unique among carriers in that many of their branded smartphones have something called wifi calling. Thus, you can get reception in areas where others don't get it if there is a wifi network you can access. It works through the regular cell phone interface so seamless to the user.

For hardware, buy a TMobile branded android prepaid phone. Find one whose price & features fit your goals. Many will have soft keyboards (ie on the screen keyboard) but the keys are large. The Samsung Exhibit II is under $200 and would do everything you want, including download photos via USB. It takes decent photos also.
Greetings SavingS:

The Munchkin Man would like to thank you for your detailed comments and suggestions.

A monthly $30 pay as you go plan with no contract sounds very appealing to the Munchkin Man.

The Munchkin Man would also like to thank you for your recommendation of the TMobile carrier.

Apparently, a lot of people use TMobile, as the Munchkin Man sees this name quite frequently.

The Munchkin Man would also like to thank you for your recommendation of the Samsung Exhibit II at a price that is under $200.

This is very appealing to the Munchkin Man.

The Munchkin Man has added this phone to the Munchkin Man's list.

Thanks again for your detailed comments and suggestions.

Good luck to you.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

Greetings To All:

The Munchkin Man would like to thank each and every one of you for your comments and suggestions in regard to the Munchkin Man's next cell phone.

Please accept the Munchkin Man's apologies if the Munchkin Man did not find the opportunity to thank any of you personally for your comments and suggestions.

The Munchkin Man values all of your comments and suggestions very highly.

The Munchkin Man is grateful to all of you.

The Munchkin Man will give all of your comments and suggestions the highest level of the Munchkin Man's consideration and due diligence.

The Munchkin Man will inform you of the Munchkin Man's final decision and purchase.

Thanks again to all.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
hq38sq43

Post by hq38sq43 »

My wife and I have been content for years with Virgin Mobile. We each pay $20 every 90 days. Her phone takes photos, mine does not. Occasionally she is required to "top up" due to use in a 90-day period greater than allowed for the $20. I use mine so little my accumulated balance is ca. $200, which I an thinking of dipping into for a new phone, to avoid embarrassing my wife when I use my "dinosaur."

I suggest you check out the offerings at virginmobile.com. I believe they are also available at Radio Shack, Walmart, and other retailers.

Best regards,
Harry at Bradenton
steve r

Post by steve r »

snyder66 wrote:kittywireless.com These guys can help you. Sounds like you are looking for a dumb phone. Just sign up, ask a couple questions and you will be set.
+1

They are associated with PagePlus.

They will hook you up with a plan that cost $30 ($10 for 4 months) to $80 a year, with the $80 a year plan giving you much more talk time. Basically calls cost 4 cents per minute with the $80 per year plan, and can be rolled over for ever, provided you renew. They use the Verizon network.

It is the plan I use with a smart phone, but a smart phone is not needed.

It is what I use.
"Owning the stock market over the long term is a winner's game. Attempting to beat the market is a loser's game. ..Don't look for the needle in the haystack. Just buy the haystack." Jack Bogle
aja8888

Post by aja8888 »

Page plus has an $80 per year plan with 2000 minutes. Fill it once per year. Can be bought from Kitty Wireless or other Page Plus vendors. You can buy a simple smart phone from Page Plus : http://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/ (click on the "phones" tab).
winglessangel31

Post by winglessangel31 »

I know you have your reasons, but inside I'm going "oh, what a waste of whatever phone and whatever plan/pay-as-you-go plan you're getting"...
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

I too was quite happy with the $20 every 3 months Virgin Mobile phone. Suited my minimal usage habits, and I soon accumulated over a $200 balance.
Trouble was, as we spent more time wandering around the country in the RV, there were too many places I couldn't get reception. Like all of Montana.
So I added a second line onto my wife's ATT phone for $10 a month, and that too suits us. Reception is better, but still not great in some odd places, like a lot of DC and NYC. And you get the dubious pleasure of dealing with ATT.

My point: be sure you get good reception in the places you spend the most time.