Need android app for finding car in crowded parking lot

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Jerilynn

Need android app for finding car in crowded parking lot

Post by Jerilynn » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:46 pm

Does anyone know of an app for android that will help find the car in a crowded parking lot at a place like a huge mall?

In other words, set the location when you park the car and then when you get out of the store, the GPS points you in the correct direction?

Thanks!
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)

Wolkenspiel

Re: Need android app for finding car in crowded parking lot

Post by Wolkenspiel » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:02 am

http://bit.ly/XyYxPu

Park Me Right seems to be what you are looking for.

mike143

Post by mike143 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:51 am

At the theme parks I just take a picture of the parking icon "superman 3" with my phone. Alternatively you can just use a notes application to note, store/location entered and other details, 3 rows right 20 cars back. If close enough you can just hold up your keyless remote and activate your panic button, very common at theme parks. GPS is unlikely to work in parking garages.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.

Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:11 am

I just enter something in the calendar if I need help remembering. Gps takes time to register and needs open sky so wouldn't be reliable.

kramer

Post by kramer » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:37 am

Assuming that you usually remember where you park and this is just for backup in case you forget, then probably the most efficient way is to just to make a recorded audio note to yourself on your phone as you are walking away. No stopping and taking pictures, waiting for GPS to register, writing out notes, etc.

ResNullius

Post by ResNullius » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:02 am

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person who sometimes has trouble finding their car.

user5027

Post by user5027 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:01 pm

I guess I'm too old school. I always have a pen and piece of paper in my shirt pocket and write the area and level (if in a garage).

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:53 pm

Sell the beige Camry and buy something memorable. :D

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:17 pm

Epsilon Delta wrote:Sell the beige Camry and buy something memorable. :D
I'm sure the people in town with the lime-green Kia Souls thought those were memorable, until two of them happened to park right next to each other in the parking lot of a big box store. Besides, you have to remember enough to get within line of sight to recognize a distinctive car.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:40 pm

Last week I wandered around an airport parking lot for ages pressing my keyfob and looking for my "white car". Sign me stupid.

I like that idea of taking a photo of the nearest sign.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:17 pm

user5027 wrote:I guess I'm too old school. I always have a pen and piece of paper in my shirt pocket and write the area and level (if in a garage).
Me too.
Gordon

Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:54 am

kramer wrote:Assuming that you usually remember where you park and this is just for backup in case you forget, then probably the most efficient way is to just to make a recorded audio note to yourself on your phone as you are walking away. No stopping and taking pictures, waiting for GPS to register, writing out notes, etc.
That's the problem, I have zero sense of direction. If I could walk out the door of the grocery store and just have a direction to start off in, that would be helpful.
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)

btenny

Post by btenny » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:08 pm

Boy if you figure out some way to do this automatically for rental cars you will make a fortune. I have "lost" a rental car a few times over the years at some hotel or parking garage and could not find it. That is a real PIA. The worst time was when I rented a white small chevy and parked it at a big convention at a DC hotel where I was late for a speaking engagement. Then I came out 3 hours later from one of the lobby exits and could not find my car. But I did find 3ish other white chevies that were not mine. :oops: :oops: It turned out there were four exits from that hotel lobby and I had to go out each one and search the parking lot by each to find my car. Duh...

Hope someone has a solution.
Bill

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:31 pm

I generally never lose my car as I remember the adjacent parking signs in the parking lot. (knock wood)

But recently misplaced my car at an IKEA. I was standing in the exact location (because I remembered the sign number on the roof column), but my car was gone. Then I noticed all the previously red signs were now green. (First time I had been in a parking garage that used colors, instead of numbers, to indicate parking levels.) Turns out I exited the building on a different level. So at IKEA, I now know I must remember both the sign number and color. Just curious what IKEA expects a color-blind person supposed to do?
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:22 pm

Jerilynn wrote:
kramer wrote:Assuming that you usually remember where you park and this is just for backup in case you forget, then probably the most efficient way is to just to make a recorded audio note to yourself on your phone as you are walking away. No stopping and taking pictures, waiting for GPS to register, writing out notes, etc.
That's the problem, I have zero sense of direction. If I could walk out the door of the grocery store and just have a direction to start off in, that would be helpful.
I know some people who wrote personal apps for this sort of thing, including one guy who made a compass that pointed in the direction of his car, but none of them ever uploaded to the App Store that I'm aware of. Then again, I didn't pay much attention to what they did with their app development because I am a very spatially aware person and I have practiced "replay the day" memory exercises for decades, so I can just "replay" a map of where I parked in my head without having to give it much thought.

ndchamp

Post by ndchamp » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:58 pm

Small, hand-held. Parking lot...easy....garage...probably not.

c.Alvin

Post by c.Alvin » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:41 pm

I have been using the "Find My Car" android app for the past few months. It quickly records the parking location with GPS. All you have to do is follow the map back to your vehicle. It works very well when you remember to set it :)

c.Alvin

ResNullius

Post by ResNullius » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:48 pm

btenny wrote:Boy if you figure out some way to do this automatically for rental cars you will make a fortune. I have "lost" a rental car a few times over the years at some hotel or parking garage and could not find it. That is a real PIA. The worst time was when I rented a white small chevy and parked it at a big convention at a DC hotel where I was late for a speaking engagement. Then I came out 3 hours later from one of the lobby exits and could not find my car. But I did find 3ish other white chevies that were not mine. :oops: :oops: It turned out there were four exits from that hotel lobby and I had to go out each one and search the parking lot by each to find my car. Duh...

Hope someone has a solution.
Bill
Wow, this reply brought back memories. On my frequent out of town business trips, back before retirement, I would totally forget what type of rental car (also color) I was driving, so finding it was truly a pain in the butt. I can't guess at how many times this happened to me, even in a hotel parking lot. You know, you arrive tired and worn out, just wanting to get your stuff to the room.

btenny

Post by btenny » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:14 pm

This Iphone app sure looks promising. It uses Blue tooth and GPS to find your car and map you back to your car. Maybe it will work with rental cars if they have blue tooth. If not there are two other apps at the bottom of that page (Find My Way Back Navigation and Park My Car) that also sound promising. If I were still working and traveling a lot I would try out some of these.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/find-my ... 19632?mt=8

Bill

Cyclone

Post by Cyclone » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:09 pm

A somewhat-related anecdote. I read awhile ago that in the days when Disneyland still had a giant parking lot (instead of the structures they have now), the parking attendants in the morning would sometimes direct all of the white cars to park in the same section, just to create confusion later on.

BillyG

Post by BillyG » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:18 pm

Been there, done that...

It reminds of a Jimmy Buffet song called Fool Button:

"Looking for the rent-a-car
Was the Cordoba blue or red..."

Fool Button would be a good name for the App.

Billy

Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:50 am

[quote="Mudpuppy" Then again, I didn't pay much attention to what they did with their app development because I am a very spatially aware person and I have practiced "replay the day" memory exercises for decades, so I can just "replay" a map of where I parked in my head without having to give it much thought.[/quote]

Oh sure, Mudpuppy, rub it in! ;)