iMac or PC (windows)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ResNullius

iMac or PC (windows)

Post by ResNullius » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:59 pm

I'm going to neet to get a new computer in the not to distant future. I want to use my remaining AmEx Reward Points, and I have almost 300K points. I've always used Windows, with Microsoft Office. I'm fully retired. All I do is surf the net and use e-mail, and google for stuff. I might do a letter or a memo once in a while. Anyway, I've been thinking about the iMac. Any opinions on the pros and cons of windows versus apple?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: iMac or PC (windows)

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:23 pm

Go to an Apple store and try out a Mac in person. It's a very different experience. Not better, not worse, just different.

If you want to save cost, how about MS Windows with LibreOffice - the freeware equivalent of MS Office? It runs on Windows, Mac, or Linux.

Linux is also an option (free) (Ubuntu), but you'll have to find a PC that's sold without an operating system.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

jegallup

Post by jegallup » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:27 pm

LadyGeek wrote:Go to an Apple store and try out a Mac in person. It's a very different experience. Not better, not worse, just different.
No "Delete" key, for one thing. Can't get used to that.

blacktupelo

Post by blacktupelo » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:30 pm

If your email sending is limited you might find an iPad or competing tablet would fit your needs. iPad great for reading email, web browsing, keeping your calendar and sending short emails. Longish emails are OK if you have a bluetooth keyboard to use. Light weight and portable and the battery is better than a laptop Mac or Windows system. Windows 7 is pretty good OS but I still prefer Mac OS X; I use both. iPad is easiest to use once you learn the few basics. If you have wi-fi in your home it is best as you can buy the lower priced models without the cell data plan expense. If you only have wired ethernet then go for a refub Mac mini or Macbook Air or Macbook Pro and save 15% or more. Refurb iPads often too. Go to the Apple refurb store to see what is available.
Larry

chaz

Post by chaz » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:56 pm

blacktupelo wrote:If your email sending is limited you might find an iPad or competing tablet would fit your needs. iPad great for reading email, web browsing, keeping your calendar and sending short emails. Longish emails are OK if you have a bluetooth keyboard to use. Light weight and portable and the battery is better than a laptop Mac or Windows system. Windows 7 is pretty good OS but I still prefer Mac OS X; I use both. iPad is easiest to use once you learn the few basics. If you have wi-fi in your home it is best as you can buy the lower priced models without the cell data plan expense. If you only have wired ethernet then go for a refub Mac mini or Macbook Air or Macbook Pro and save 15% or more. Refurb iPads often too. Go to the Apple refurb store to see what is available.
I agree. My iPad has the safari OS, and it is easy to operate.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

VTXVX

Post by VTXVX » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:56 pm

Delete
Last edited by VTXVX on Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

whaleknives

Post by whaleknives » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:09 pm

If you no longer need to access work software from home, I definitely recommend the Mac. More seamless operation with fewer OS and virus problems.
"I'm an indexer. I own the market. And I'm happy." (John Bogle, "BusinessWeek", 8/17/07) ☕ Maritime signal flag W - Whiskey: "I require medical assistance."

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:32 pm

I"ve had both and I prefer the MAC.

Seems like the Windows computers were always struggling with something. Anti-virus software conflicted with other software. Things locking up. Always having to defrag or whatever.

I've got a MacBook and a MacBook Air and for the most part, they are just easy to live with. Turn it on and it works. The MacBook is now about 5 years old and I can tell it will have to be replaced...eventually. Neither of my PCs lasted more than 3 years and the last year or so was a real struggle each time. Mac costs more, but Mac lasts longer and you don't have to buy new virus protection every year or every other year.

I realize that things may have improved a lot since I left the world of PCs, but I really have no reason to consider "going back".

Contrary to some opinions, I have not found the Mac to be very intuitive, especially after years on Windows based systems. But you can almost always find an answer to your question on the internet. I also use the Dummies books. Mac might be intuitive for folks who never got the Windows way of doing things scorched into their brains.

You'll never know till you go to Best Buy and see them side by side. If you have an Apple Store handy, you might want to consider one of the series of classes they offer. I didn't do that and have often wished I had. It would have been $100 well spent.

DualIncomeNoDebt

Post by DualIncomeNoDebt » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:00 pm

Expert computer user here. Without reservation, get the Mac. iMac is a great machine -- and it comes standard with a fantastic IPS monitor with LED backlighting, one of the best on the market. I will go many months without rebooting the iMacs we have, not even a restart.

We run our business on Macs. Smartest decision we ever made, and we have everything running on a network we devised using Mac software: Mac Pros, iMacs, Macbook Pros, Macbook Air, and some iPads. Number of network or technical-related service calls we've had to make in five years: zero. Not a single one, just a really nice anecdote. Windows and PC? No way, just unheard of -- in a networked PC environment, something is always going down or breaking. People in my business running PCs regularly have computer issues.

I was on business in December, left my Macbook Air in the carryon, never shut it off, just closed the lid which puts it into hibernate/sleep. Decided to retrieve it yesterday from the suitcase, three months later. Opened it up, and there the Macbook Air was, exactly where I had left it three months ago, same document, same website -- and with decent battery left as well, as if I had used it only yesterday. It's a testament to Apple build quality and to software/hardware integration.

PS Windows 8 sucks, and sucks badly, especially if you are a power user. I can build PCs from scratch, I can run networks, I used to run networks in college, and in my experience Windows 8 is a terrible release, right up there with Vista. Windows 8 uses dual GUIs (Metro + standard desktop). One GUI cannot communicate with the other. Do something in Metro, it will NOT be saved or transferred to the standard desktop. In fact each GUI sports different program setups and interfaces for the same programs. If you task-switching, which any adroit user is doing, you are really, really hating life in Windows 8. Utter garbage. Steve Ballmer needs to be fired. No wonder all my computer science and engineering friends sport Macs, in part because Mac OSX (operating system) is Unix-based (very solid OS).
Last edited by DualIncomeNoDebt on Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Another consideration is to take a look at the programs you might buy. Quicken and TurboTax are available on both.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

chaz

Post by chaz » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:07 pm

I have the Vanguard app on my iPad.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

davebarnes

iMac Keyboard

Post by davebarnes » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:24 pm

jegallup wrote:No "Delete" key, for one thing. Can't get used to that.
Not true.
The iMac comes with your choice (same price of $zero) keyboards.
Wireless
and
Wired
Notice the DELETE key.
A nerd living in Denver

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:47 pm

chaz wrote: I agree. My iPad has the safari OS, and it is easy to operate.
Actually Safari is your internet browser, the OS is iOS.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

chaz

Post by chaz » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:58 pm

SpringMan wrote:
chaz wrote: I agree. My iPad has the safari OS, and it is easy to operate.
Actually Safari is your internet browser, the OS is iOS.
Thanks for the correction. My browser is easy to use.

blacktupelo

Post by blacktupelo » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:04 pm

Note that if you are a fan of Chrome browser or Opera, they are also available on iPad. Safari is included from Apple and is customized for the iPad environment with targeted additional functionality.
Larry

ResNullius

Post by ResNullius » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:06 pm

Thanks to all for comments. I also have an iPad, which seems really strange to use, but that's because I'm so used to my Windows XP operating system and Office/Outlook. My brother use to be a computer whiz, and he's always used PCs, but he told me today that his next computer will be an Apple. He's 65, so I guess old dogs can learn new tricks. I just want to avoid Windows 8, 7, and Vista, because I've heard bad things about all of them. I also want to have a mouse to use.

Monk53

Post by Monk53 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:35 pm

The Imac is a nice machine, my daughter has one and is a big Apple fan. If you want to spend some time learning the ins and outs of an Apple machine, get the Imac. I would do it before your windows machine died though. If frustration comes into play, you will be able to drop back to your old machine until you're ready to go again. I have a Macbook that I used for carrying on vacations. I like it but could never really get into the way the OS works. It did serve it's purpose for about 4 years and still has no problems and has been updated. I'm 1 OS behind I believe. Now for travel and sitting around watching TV I and my wife use Ipads. They are great for travel. It's my wife's main computer. If I'm going to do a lot of surfing, answering E-mail and such, I still prefer my desktop and the larger screen, which would not be a problem with the Imac, great screen. I just bought a win7 machine to replace my older desktop, which was running XP, but still had no problems with it after 5 years. I'm just trying to be proactive in case of failure. Really like win7. Liked XP and had no problems with it, rarely rebooting. Took my XP machine and loaded win8 on it. Still playing with it. I don't have a problem with it. It works different and you just have to learn the OS. I've been playing with computers since the 286 came out in the 80s running DOS. I've built 4 or 5. Both my kids used home built machines. Windows ME, I've never had Vista, is the only OS I've really had problems with. I think most problems are human caused or the computer has cheap hardware and poorly written software. After going on this tangent, if you want to spend time learning a new system, you can't go wrong with the Imac. If you want to push the start button and go to work, get a win7 machine. Cost will be less than half. This is based on what you say you will use the computer for. If you have alot of Microsoft office files you might try Kingsoft Office. It works good with office files and is free.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:39 pm

" All I do is surf the net and use e-mail, and google for stuff. I might do a letter or a memo once in a while."

If that is all you would need to do I wouldn't discount the Samsung Chromebook(number one seller @Amazon).
If you need to print use cloud print :happy

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/de ... nding.html
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

mlewis

Post by mlewis » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:43 pm

I used PCs for many years and a mac is breath of fresh air. It is so much better.

I can't recommend getting a mac with windows on it. It's the more expensive computer with the lesser operating system. If you make the switch you will not regret it.

jegallup

Re: iMac Keyboard

Post by jegallup » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:55 pm

davebarnes wrote:
jegallup wrote:No "Delete" key, for one thing. Can't get used to that.
Not true.
The iMac comes with your choice (same price of $zero) keyboards.
Oops! Or maybe not. Just went and looked at the wife's MacBook Air (a gorgeous machine, and no mistake). It has a key marked Delete, but it's really a Backspace key. The iPad I'm using to write this has only a Backspace key. But I see in the image in your post a key marked "delete" and another above the cursor keys which apparently deletes to the right of the insertion point, which is what the "Delete" does on the machines I'm used to.

Norbert Schlenker

Post by Norbert Schlenker » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:32 pm

ResNullius wrote:I'm going to neet to get a new computer in the not to distant future.
Question #1: Is the machine failing?
I want to use my remaining AmEx Reward Points, and I have almost 300K points.
Question #2: Are the points expiring?
Anyway, I've been thinking about the iMac.
Question #3: How is this related to the two earlier quotes?
Nothing can protect people who want to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.

6miths

Post by 6miths » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:08 pm

Definitely agree with going to Best Buy or Apple store and trying out the iMacs. I grew up taking apart and building PC's and used them for years but would definitely recommend Apple products for their ease of use and low upkeep costs. At one point about 8 years ago, I had 3 desktops and 4 laptops on the go in the house for the family. Now I am down to two desktops that are very lightly used having been replaced by one 27" iMac, a 13" MacBook, 2 13" MacBook Pro's and a 13" MacBook Air. Not a single problem that I can recall with the Mac's but still occasionally waste time maintaining the PC's.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:59 pm

It doesn't matter whether you get a Windows or Mac OS machine.

We have an iMac, iPads, iPhones etc. Also have an Asus laptop running windows. For your purposes, it's all pretty much the same. I bought the Asus because I use software that doesn't run on Mac OS.

In the past, at about this point in the Mac v Windows discussion, someone jumps in and mentions Linux. As the kids used to say: "first!"

telemark

Post by telemark » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:07 pm

I use a Mac and a Linux machine at home, various Windows machines at work. Recently a much younger co-worker asked me why everyone was so down on Windows, and I had to think. Best I could come up with was "it used to be really bad." In the 1990s the popular versions of Windows, up through Windows 98, were all horribly fragile and crash-prone. NT was better but almost no one used it.

Things have changed. I use Windows XP and Windows 7 regularly and have found them to be reliable and trouble free. (We skipped Vista at work). I still avoid it at home but that's more from residual animosity than for any rational reason. None of the operating systems are perfect, but they're all pretty good now. Except maybe Windows 8; I'd go out of my to avoid that one, based on the reviews it's getting.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:32 pm

telemark wrote:I use a Mac and a Linux machine at home, various Windows machines at work. Recently a much younger co-worker asked me why everyone was so down on Windows, and I had to think. Best I could come up with was "it used to be really bad." In the 1990s the popular versions of Windows, up through Windows 98, were all horribly fragile and crash-prone. NT was better but almost no one used it.

Things have changed. I use Windows XP and Windows 7 regularly and have found them to be reliable and trouble free. (We skipped Vista at work). I still avoid it at home but that's more from residual animosity than for any rational reason. None of the operating systems are perfect, but they're all pretty good now. Except maybe Windows 8; I'd go out of my to avoid that one, based on the reviews it's getting.
I go all the way back to DOS 1, and I agree with you that XP and Win 7 were/are as solid as they come. I intentionally avoided Vista and waited until Win 7 came out before upgrading from XP. I've owned and used both Macs and PCs. I'd recommend PCs for business and wider diversified personal use and the Macs for graphics applications. Other than for graphics, though, I just can't justify paying twice as much or more. I do prefer my iPad for tablet operations over my Android tablet.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:37 pm

jegallup wrote: Oops! Or maybe not. Just went and looked at the wife's MacBook Air (a gorgeous machine, and no mistake). It has a key marked Delete, but it's really a Backspace key. The iPad I'm using to write this has only a Backspace key. But I see in the image in your post a key marked "delete" and another above the cursor keys which apparently deletes to the right of the insertion point, which is what the "Delete" does on the machines I'm used to.
Yeah, on the smaller keyboards you have to hold the function key with your left hand if you want to delete to the right. A little less convenient but you don't notice it if you're used to it.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:02 am

Mel Lindauer wrote:
telemark wrote:I use a Mac and a Linux machine at home, various Windows machines at work. Recently a much younger co-worker asked me why everyone was so down on Windows, and I had to think. Best I could come up with was "it used to be really bad." In the 1990s the popular versions of Windows, up through Windows 98, were all horribly fragile and crash-prone. NT was better but almost no one used it.

I go all the way back to DOS 1, and I agree with you that XP and Win 7 were/are as solid as they come. I intentionally avoided Vista and waited until Win 7 came out before upgrading from XP. I've owned and used both Macs and PCs. I'd recommend PCs for business and wider diversified personal use and the Macs for graphics applications. Other than for graphics, though, I just can't justify paying twice as much or more. I do prefer my iPad for tablet operations over my Android tablet.
Windows 7 is almost as good as the old Windows NT (no doubt it is better, but memory is golden ;-)).

Win XP is finished, there are or will be too many security holes.

I suspect you cannot upgrade to Win7 now? Which means you are stuck with Win8? Commisserations.

Microsoft remains the 'every other OS company' (I've also heard it called the 'version 3 company' after Win 3.1 which fixed the main problems with Windows). So XP was good, Vista a dog, 7 is good, 8 looks like another dog.

What I find most annoying with MSFT is their constant attempts to justify huge changes in User Interface-- that should not effect what really matters in an OS (security, speed) but it forces the users to relearn a huge amount.

I switched to Firefox because it was *more* like the old IE browser in look and feel than the latest version of IE (7 I think).

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:13 am

It seems like we are hearing that about every 3rd version of the Window OS is good.... I guess that was part of my frustration with PCs. This just does not seem to be an issue with the Mac OS. Or maybe I just got lucky.

I once had a Windows ME machine. Nice little computer, sucky operating system.

lwfitzge

Post by lwfitzge » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:44 am

This can be debated either way. My family have used both platforms for many years, going back to mid-1990's. I prefer Mac for the reasons cited by others. I also think some products, like powerbooks, have a longer usable lifespan because they are better built products. I recognize this may not be generalizable to all PC makers and Apple is charging more money perhaps for that benefit. Nonetheless, over the past 5 years I've had multiple hardware failures after extended use w my Dells (e.g., keyboard, laptop screen, hard drive failures) that i have not had w my Mac powerbooks. When I consider these benefits, along w the much reduced exposure to viruses/malware, the stability of the OS, the compatibility w other Apple products I use (Ipad, iphone, via iCloud), compatibility and common software w PCs, I choose to use Macs.
Last edited by lwfitzge on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

RooseveltG

Post by RooseveltG » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:53 am

LadyGeek

Quicken for Mac is not nearly as good as Quicken for Windows. I now use a Mac, but with Parallels to run Windows.

Just a consideration........

Roosevelt.

ResNullius

Post by ResNullius » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:00 am

Norbert Schlenker wrote:
ResNullius wrote:I'm going to neet to get a new computer in the not to distant future.
Question #1: Is the machine failing?
I want to use my remaining AmEx Reward Points, and I have almost 300K points.
Question #2: Are the points expiring?
Anyway, I've been thinking about the iMac.
Question #3: How is this related to the two earlier quotes?
I'm currently using XP, so I'm going to have to change within the year due to Microsoft ending security updates. Also, my current hardware is quite old, updated a number of times already. I've got the AmEx points, so why not use them before somebody changes the rules or the things you can get with the points. By the way, I started with Windows 98 and it worked well for me, then went to XP. I've also started having some OS or hardware issues with my XP, the ghost type things that don't seem to happen whenever my local computer guy looks at it. I use to have a DELL, actually used one until it dropped then got another. I won't own another. My current computer is locally made by my computer dude. My brother things highly of Apple, even though he currently has Windows PCs, but he said his next computer will be an Apple. We both have iPads, so we're getting some minimal experience with Apple. I just need a larger screen that I can read, and I like to use a mouse and keyboard.

ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:24 am

What image do you want to portray?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkrn6ecxthM
Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:26 am

RooseveltG wrote:LadyGeek

Quicken for Mac is not nearly as good as Quicken for Windows. I now use a Mac, but with Parallels to run Windows.

Just a consideration........

Roosevelt.
Good point. There are three areas for comparison: "Better, Faster, and Cheaper" (Engineers say "Complexity, speed, and cost"). You normally can achieve 2 of the 3.

Better - You have to learn how to use Parallels (more complex on the learning curve, additional overhead on top of the Mac OS)
Faster - In theory, no. However, it's probably OK.
Cheaper - Parallels is not free and you still need to purchase a Windows license (install disk)

The OP will have to make this decision. Ask to see a demonstration of Parallels at the Apple store.

CyberBob

Post by CyberBob » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:44 am

jegallup wrote:Just went and looked at the wife's MacBook Air (a gorgeous machine, and no mistake). It has a key marked Delete, but it's really a Backspace key...
delete will delete to the left of the cursor, fn+delete will delete to the right of the cursor.

Bob

Calm Man

Post by Calm Man » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:55 am

I've always used Windows and will be getting either a tablet or laptop soon. One problem with Windows is that (assuming you don't want to work from a program on the cloud), the cheap version they give you of Microsoft office has a word processing program for example called Microsoft works, which is inferior to Word. I have bought upgrades for the Office products although I rarely use more than Word anymore. What does Apple give you as far as word, powerpoint ability and spreadsheets? Do they open documents like .docx, pptx or do you need to buy something special? Lady Geek mentioned Office Libre. Does that work with all up to date documents?

blacktupelo

Post by blacktupelo » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:07 am

LadyGeek wrote:
RooseveltG wrote:LadyGeek

Better - You have to learn how to use Parallels (more complex on the learning curve, additional overhead on top of the Mac OS)
Faster - In theory, no. However, it's probably OK.
Cheaper - Parallels is not free and you still need to purchase a Windows license (install disk)

The OP will have to make this decision. Ask to see a demonstration of Parallels at the Apple store.
I use Windows Quicken 2013 (prior to this version was running Quicken 2010) in a Windows 7 virtual machine but I use the free VirtualBox software from Oracle. It works, is updated with fixes for problems regularly and it is free (bought Win7 Home and expect to use it for a long time).

VirtualBox itself launches very fast and Win7 starts quickly as well. Also allows me to use IE10 for the few web services that only work with IE, and a US Treasury bond value tracking application that run under Windows. That's my total need for Windows. Everything else is on Mac (10.7.5) or iPad (iOS 6).
Larry

Gleevec

Post by Gleevec » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:33 am

How about an ipad for your needs, you can always get a case with a bluetooth keyboard if you need to type?

I have not been a fan of the chromebooks because the occasional time you actually need to use a real program you can't-- there is generally an app in the ipad store that can do what you want, for chrome I have not had the same luck.

I have a macbook air and its great, but if you want a PC there are several very good ones. I would suggest you get ample RAM and also an SSD drive if you get a laptop-- the speed benefit with an SSD drive is amazing.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:38 am

Calm Man wrote:I've always used Windows and will be getting either a tablet or laptop soon. One problem with Windows is that (assuming you don't want to work from a program on the cloud), the cheap version they give you of Microsoft office has a word processing program for example called Microsoft works, which is inferior to Word. I have bought upgrades for the Office products although I rarely use more than Word anymore. What does Apple give you as far as word, powerpoint ability and spreadsheets? Do they open documents like .docx, pptx or do you need to buy something special? Lady Geek mentioned Office Libre. Does that work with all up to date documents?
LibreOffice runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. On my Windows 7 desktop, I use the "official" MS Office products - thanks to my MegaEmployer's $9.95 home use license agreement. On my Win 7 laptop and Linux, I use LibreOffice.

Yes, LibreOffice will open and edit any of the MS products. However, it's not 100% compatible, as I've found problems rendering charts created with MS Excel. There may also be a compatibility with VBA (Visual Basic for Applications - the "macro" language), but I didn't check. Spreadsheets can be fixed and saved in the LibreOffice format from that point forward.

Conversely, MS Office will read LibreOffice (OpenOffice) format documents, but I didn't check compatibility in this direction.

Someone who needs an "occasional" word document or spreadsheet probably won't care about this level of compatibility.

magellan

Post by magellan » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:26 pm

LadyGeek wrote:Yes, LibreOffice will open and edit any of the MS products. However, it's not 100% compatible, as I've found problems rendering charts created with MS Excel. There may also be a compatibility with VBA (Visual Basic for Applications - the "macro" language), but I didn't check.
Someone who needs an "occasional" word document or spreadsheet probably won't care about this level of compatibility.
There are similar compatibility bugs/limitations in MS Office for Mac. As with LibreOffice, they tend to show up in more complex spreadsheets. I don't think Office for Mac is nearly as problematic as Quicken for Mac, but IMO if 100% compatibility is required, MS Office for Windows is the safest bet.

Jim

davebarnes

iWork, Works

Post by davebarnes » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:31 pm

Calm Man wrote:Windows...the cheap version they give you of Microsoft office has a word processing program for example called Microsoft works...What does Apple give you as far as word, powerpoint ability and spreadsheets? Do they open documents like .docx, pptx or do you need to buy something special?
1. "Microsoft Works is a discontinued office suite by Microsoft. Works is smaller, less expensive, and has fewer features than Microsoft Office or other major office suites." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Works

2. Pages, Numbers and Keynote are the Apple Mac OS X products. All 3 open their equivalent MS files and all 3 enable you to save (export) to MS formats. Each app is $20.
A nerd living in Denver

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:35 pm

For what you're using it for I'd suggest purchasing a Samsung Chromebook for $249 and using your points for something else. My usage is very similar to yours and that will be my next machine. Extra money spent on added functionality is wasted for me and likely for you.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:01 pm

+1.

I just checked through all their Samsung products but it's not there. Guess you could convert to Amazon points and get the Chromebook there.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:06 pm

htdrag11 wrote:+1.

I just checked through all their Samsung products but it's not there. Guess you could convert to Amazon points and get the Chromebook there.

:happy

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-XE303C12- ... chromebook
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Calm Man

Re: iWork, Works

Post by Calm Man » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:08 pm

davebarnes wrote:
Calm Man wrote:Windows...the cheap version they give you of Microsoft office has a word processing program for example called Microsoft works...What does Apple give you as far as word, powerpoint ability and spreadsheets? Do they open documents like .docx, pptx or do you need to buy something special?
1. "Microsoft Works is a discontinued office suite by Microsoft. Works is smaller, less expensive, and has fewer features than Microsoft Office or other major office suites." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Works

2. Pages, Numbers and Keynote are the Apple Mac OS X products. All 3 open their equivalent MS files and all 3 enable you to save (export) to MS formats. Each app is $20.
Dave, if Microsoft works is discontinued, what do they load as standard on a typical windows computer now?

Norbert Schlenker

Post by Norbert Schlenker » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:29 pm

ResNullius wrote:I'm currently using XP, so I'm going to have to change within the year due to Microsoft ending security updates.
I hear and see this a fair bit, but I don't understand it. I simply don't believe that the average computer user, or even a double digit percentage of computer users over the age of 25, engage in high risk online behavior that requires up to the minute security updates. You don't click every link you see every day. You don't respond to spam solicitations. Unlike the real world, infectious diseases don't just waft through the air taking advantage of compromised electronic immune systems. To get into trouble with a computer, you have to go looking for it. If you don't, you'll be fine, Microsoft's scare stories notwithstanding.

And, if there really are monsters under the security bed, then ditch XP for an Ubuntu flavored Linux as suggested above. For your stated purposes, Linux will do the job. For free!
Also, my current hardware is quite old, updated a number of times already.... I've also started having some OS or hardware issues with my XP, the ghost type things that don't seem to happen whenever my local computer guy looks at it.
Hardware failure is a potential issue. On the other hand, a likely reliable XP (or Linux) capable machine can be had for $50-100 on craigslist these days.
I've got the AmEx points, so why not use them before somebody changes the rules or the things you can get with the points.
There is nothing else worth acquiring with these points?

I'm not trying to dissuade you from acquiring something new and shiny. It keeps the economy humming and it's possible that you'll end up doing something new and wonderful with the new computer that couldn't be done with the old one. Given what you've said about what you do and need though, it isn't clear to me that $500 or $1000 or 300000 Amex points wouldn't be more wisely (or frivolously, because it's up to you) spent on something else altogether.
Nothing can protect people who want to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.

StoneReader

Mac Mini instead of iMac for DIY Inclined

Post by StoneReader » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:38 am

My son owns a computer business and they only buy Mac Minis now. He told me that the new iMacs are glued together and you can not get into them anymore to replace things like bad hard drives. The advantage of a Mini is that you can still open them and easily replace a defective hard drive or even upgrade it. In addition, if your iMac goes belly up out of warranty, you are out of luck. With a Mini, the worse case is that you only lose parts of it and can recover the hard drive, etc. Also the video terminal is separate with a Mini so the terminal can also be carried over to a new computer. Or if the terminal alone goes bad, you can just replace the terminal and not the entire iMac.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2412365,00.asp
It can be opened without any tools, giving you a limited view of the internals, only providing real access to a few specific components. RAM modules can be added and swapped, the fan removed for cleaning, though the rest of the components can be accessed, assuming you have the necessary tools and a lot of patience. In such a small, tightly packed package, there's not really room for upgrades.

jay22

Post by jay22 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:54 am

IMO, it's a very very subjective topic. There is no fixed answer to this, all depends on the person who will use the OS. So, my suggestion will be go to the Apple Store and try the mac OS and see how you like it before buying it.