Fun Education- KhanAcademy

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Toons

Fun Education- KhanAcademy

Post by Toons » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:18 pm

Wow I didn't know school could be so much fun and it is free to the world :happy
(Not Affiliated)

https://www.khanacademy.org/
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

reggiesimpson

Re: Fun Education- KhanAcademy

Post by reggiesimpson » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:22 pm

Fascinating, thanks.

bottomfisher

Post by bottomfisher » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:28 pm

I was very impressed too after watching this CBS 60 minutes episode on the Khan Academy:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7401696n

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:31 pm

reggiesimpson wrote:Fascinating, thanks.

Makes learning fun :D
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

pbuler

Post by pbuler » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:42 pm

My son uses this web site, he like it.

Wooderson

Post by Wooderson » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:52 pm

I have taken several classes on Coursera (https://www.coursera.org/) and enjoyed them all. Also check out Udacity and edX for additional online education opportunities.

Tom_T

Post by Tom_T » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:55 pm

My teenager has used this site to get some algebra tutorials. Very useful.

northstar22

Post by northstar22 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:58 pm

I've been using it lately to learn a little more about the federal reserve. https://www.khanacademy.org/science/cor ... /banking-1

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:53 pm

I first learned about it last fall and thought it was a beautiful idea. Also just checked out the "60 Minutes" link provided here (thanks!) and am convinced that if I'd had a teacher like Kahn when I struggled with fractions in second grade, I would never have known math anxiety.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

chaz

Post by chaz » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:55 pm

A terrific source of continuing education for all!
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

chaz

Post by chaz » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:52 pm

Fallible wrote:I first learned about it last fall and thought it was a beautiful idea. Also just checked out the "60 Minutes" link provided here (thanks!) and am convinced that if I'd had a teacher like Kahn when I struggled with fractions in second grade, I would never have known math anxiety.
Khan is brilliant.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:02 am

chaz wrote:
Fallible wrote:I first learned about it last fall and thought it was a beautiful idea. Also just checked out the "60 Minutes" link provided here (thanks!) and am convinced that if I'd had a teacher like Kahn when I struggled with fractions in second grade, I would never have known math anxiety.
Khan is brilliant.
Hi Chaz,

Yes, indeed, Kahn surely is brilliant in many areas. And I think of more significance to his students, he's a good teacher, which has a brilliance all its own. On the "60 Minutes" program, I got the feeling that Google's Eric Schmidt felt the jury was still out on Kahn and other similar tech/education programs but that Kahn's plans to measure whether this approach works is what makes him different at this point. Schmidt didn't elaborate on this, but it seems to me that Kahn Academy is already working for millions of kids.

Fallible
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:00 pm

Absolutely Brilliant.

Imagine where each class has a set of tutorials where students learn concepts. And if someone finds the concept difficult to understand, they can repeat the video over as many times as they wish until they understand it and then move on to the next concept. This makes sure that students are familiar with all the strong fundamental concepts before moving onto more complex ones.

The 10 minute approx. video limit is also brilliant, so as to keep the student focused during that period. I only remember all too well how difficult it is for students to keep attention for a whole 50 minute class.
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides

LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:02 pm

Wooderson wrote:I have taken several classes on Coursera (https://www.coursera.org/) and enjoyed them all. Also check out Udacity and edX for additional online education opportunities.
These are all wonderful resources. I hope more courses are available in edX. Internet... what a wonderful thing.
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides

DualIncomeNoDebt

Post by DualIncomeNoDebt » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:09 pm

I hope for future young generations, this is the future of education. Costless, or extremely cheap, education where you get the "lecture" at home, and you do your "homework" in class, i.e. actual problem solving with the teacher, where it is needed most.

Today's college prices are an abomination, and many times $150k degrees simply aren't needed for the types of work new graduates are doing.

ja16351

Post by ja16351 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:05 pm

This is my tenth year of teaching high school science, but I just started teaching this way about half a semester into this school year. It's called the "flipped classroom" when used with an actual class of students and a teacher. I make short videos of my lectures or board instruction that students watch for homework, and then students use class time to work problems, do practice work, work on projects (all things that need help from me) etc. This year I'm just making the video tutorials, but starting next year, I'll move to a Moodle-based system to host the videos and run most of the student assessments, so that students can work at their own pace through the material, and I'm just there to help when they need it.

It's a beautiful system, and I think it will be the future of education. I certainly hope it is, as I've got 20 more years to go before retiring. I was slogging my way through those before flipping my classroom...now it feels more like I'll work those next twenty years, and maybe I'll keep working long after that. After applying what I've learned from the Bogleheads forum and wiki, I should be able to retire comfortably at 30 years, but I'll admit, having fun while getting paid to do it is one of the best jobs there is.

chaz

Post by chaz » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:12 pm

ja16351 wrote:This is my tenth year of teaching high school science, but I just started teaching this way about half a semester into this school year. It's called the "flipped classroom" when used with an actual class of students and a teacher. I make short videos of my lectures or board instruction that students watch for homework, and then students use class time to work problems, do practice work, work on projects (all things that need help from me) etc. This year I'm just making the video tutorials, but starting next year, I'll move to a Moodle-based system to host the videos and run most of the student assessments, so that students can work at their own pace through the material, and I'm just there to help when they need it.

It's a beautiful system, and I think it will be the future of education. I certainly hope it is, as I've got 20 more years to go before retiring. I was slogging my way through those before flipping my classroom...now it feels more like I'll work those next twenty years, and maybe I'll keep working long after that. After applying what I've learned from the Bogleheads forum and wiki, I should be able to retire comfortably at 30 years, but I'll admit, having fun while getting paid to do it is one of the best jobs there is.
It sounds like a great way to teach.

Crystal Ball

Post by Crystal Ball » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:28 am

I have enjoyed Khan Academy very much.

You may wish to read his book The One World Schoolhouse: Education Reimagined

he talks about his vision for the future of education and tells his own story.

Amazon Kindle price is only $2.99.

http://www.amazon.com/One-World-Schoolh ... s=sal+khan
Sorry, I don't know how to change link to a forum referral.
He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature. | Socrates

Toons

Post by Toons » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:35 am

Crystal Ball wrote:I have enjoyed Khan Academy very much.

You may wish to read his book The One World Schoolhouse: Education Reimagined

he talks about his vision for the future of education and tells his own story.

Amazon Kindle price is only $2.99.

http://www.amazon.com/One-World-Schoolh ... s=sal+khan
Sorry, I don't know how to change link to a forum referral.

Thanks,I gotta get back to "Algebra class) :happy

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:42 am

KhaN Academy has been a short cut on our families computer now for 5 years. When my son ask me a math question I couldn't answer, we found the answer there. He now uses this site to make his understanding of math questions clear. Although it's good for any questions concerning education, and not just math.
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

Kernschatten

Post by Kernschatten » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:05 pm

I've been using it for my own enjoyment and benefit for some time now. It is, in part, because I don't have the time to dedicate to an accredited class in addition to work and spending quality time with my wife and kid. I find it a little frustrating that we, as a society, are so hell-bent on credits/degrees that my time spent there is looked down upon by the military (as a whole) rather than respected for the effort made and the gain I receive. In time, I hope we push away from this need for a degree and focus more on skills, merit, and experience. Khan has been wonderful and I look forward to it's continued growth.