Academy Award Predictions to guide movie viewing

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
grok87

Academy Award Predictions to guide movie viewing

Post by grok87 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:25 pm

I've decided I want to watch every movie that wins a major academy award this year- i.e. Best Movie, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress. So who do you think is going to win? (so I can start planning my movie consumption). Here are my predictions:

Best Movie: Argo
Best Director: Steven Spielberg (for Lincoln)
Best Actor: Daniel Day Lewis (for Lincoln)
Best Actress: Jennifer Lawrence (for Silver Linings Playbook)
Best Supporting Actor: Tommy Lee Jones (for Lincoln)
Best Supporting Actress: Anne Hathaway (for Les Miserables)

so do you agree? If so I'm planning to have seen all these movies before the awards come out tomorrow night (I should just be able to get it in).

cheers,
Keep calm and Boglehead on. KCBO.

Jerilynn

Re: Academy Award Predictions to guide movie viewing

Post by Jerilynn » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:15 pm

grok87 wrote:I've decided I want to watch every movie that wins a major academy award this year- i.e. Best Movie, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress. So who do you think is going to win? (so I can start planning my movie consumption). Here are my predictions:

so do you agree? If so I'm planning to have seen all these movies before the awards come out tomorrow night (I should just be able to get it in).

cheers,

Prediction for best host EVER: Seth MacFarlane

I LOVE his sense of humor. I am taping the Oscars just to watch him.
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)

steve roy

Post by steve roy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:25 pm

I agree with Grok's picks. The only one I'm a little iffy about is "Argo." It has a good shot at Best Picture, but it might be "Lincoln," which I thought was a stronger picture ... but we're predicting WINNERS here, aren't we? Not which movies we liked best.

LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:44 am

grok87 wrote:I've decided I want to watch every movie that wins a major academy award this year- i.e. Best Movie, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress. So who do you think is going to win? (so I can start planning my movie consumption). Here are my predictions:

cheers,
Intrade agrees with you. The only competition is for Best Supporting Actor between Tommy Lee Jones and Christoph Waltz.
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides

Chicago60

Post by Chicago60 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:08 pm

Best Picture: Argo
Best Director: Spielberg
Best Actor: Daniel Day
Best Actress: Jennifer Lawrence
Best Supporting Actress: Anne Hathaway
Best Supporting Actor: DeNiro

travellight

Post by travellight » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:17 pm

I agree with chicago60's list, with exception of Jessica Chastain for best actress for zero dark thirty; and although I think Argo will take BP, my vote would go to zero dark thirty.

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:43 pm

Ahem! Not my cup of coffee.

Most Oscar nominated movies are decided by internal politics over popularity contest. My taste leans to more the sci-fi and action genre, more for entertainment value than getting political spins. My other emphasis are on video and audio quality over store lines, i.e., The Avengers, Prometheus, Brave and The Dark Knight Rises.

As for Argo and Lincoln, they are rental for me, though I love Daniel Day-Lewis from Last of the Mohicans. I have yet to watch Zero Dark Thirty since I saw Seal Team Six, a much lower budget version.

chaz

Post by chaz » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:12 pm

I like the chance of Jessica Chastain winning for best actress and Lincoln for best movie.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page