Replacement wireless mouse

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mephistophles

Replacement wireless mouse

Post by mephistophles » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:11 am

I need help on selecting a replacement wireless mouse for my desktop Dell computer system which is over six years old. My mouse sticks (sometimes cursor doesn't move unless I left or right click. Presently I have a wireless Dell optical mouse and a wireless Dell keyboard. Both of these connect to a black receiver (about size of a deck of cards) which "is" wired to a USB port in the computer. The Dell rep said they do not have a replacement mouse that would work with my existing setup. He recommended I get a package that would include a new laser wireless mouse and wireless keyboard that would connect to one small receiver in a USB port:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod ... dellSearch"

Or, I could just get a new laser mouse which would work separately from my existing keyboard/receiver system. I have done a little research and based on my simple usage (no gaming or high tech stuff) that I wouldn't notice the difference in speed or resolution between optical and laser. Anyhow all recommendations appreciated:
Thanks,
ole meph

livesoft

Re: Replacement wireless mouse

Post by livesoft » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:03 am

I don't know about keyboards, but I see Logitech wireless mice all the time used with laptops and desktops. The USB receiver is about the size of a small Lego block or green house in the game Monopolyl.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

soaring

Post by soaring » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:27 am

Bought this wireless Logitech recently for my wife. I've used it a few times on her desktop and find it very comfortable. I'm left handed and this style works for either left or right hand. Be sure you have an extra USB port for the wireless plug in.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless ... B005KSAHZU
Desiderata

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:46 am

Meph,

I have had Logitech wireless mice on both my desktop and laptop for several years and am very pleased with them. The only comment is that I recommend you go to a store where they are sold and see how they feel in your hand. I have a larger one and my wife has a smaller one. I find it very difficult to use hers because of its smaller length and width. I buy them in Office Max for about $25 to $30 and they are sometimes on sale for less.

Tom D.
Tom D.

Toons

Post by Toons » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:14 pm

Soaring mentioned the Logitech M-525 ,an excellent choice.
I have several of the Logitech M-305 series for desktops and very pleased,
a few bucks "less expensive" check the reviews :happy

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-M305-Wir ... tech+m-305
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Confused

Post by Confused » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:12 pm

[Blanked for privacy]
Last edited by Confused on Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

mike143

Post by mike143 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:14 pm

You can spend as little as $20 and the sky is the limit. The one thing to note is you might want to replace the whole set. They are a lot better on battery life now, think 6-12+ months.

Amazon.com: Best Sellers in Computer Keyboard & Mouse Combos
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.

Toons

Post by Toons » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:19 pm

mike143 wrote:You can spend as little as $20 and the sky is the limit. The one thing to note is you might want to replace the whole set. They are a lot better on battery life now, think 6-12+ months.

Amazon.com: Best Sellers in Computer Keyboard & Mouse Combos
Speaking of batteries :happy so pleased I don't have to go buy batteries anymore for countless devices in house(keyboards,mice,remote controllers,wall clocks,,etc) since I purchased:

http://www.amazon.com/eneloop-Pre-Charg ... b_title_ce
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:24 pm

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mike143

Post by mike143 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:35 pm

Toons wrote:Speaking of batteries :happy so pleased I don't have to go buy batteries anymore for countless devices in house(keyboards,mice,remote controllers,wall clocks,,etc) since I purchased:

http://www.amazon.com/eneloop-Pre-Charg... b_title_ce
And if you take it over the top you baby them with a good charger: Amazon.com: PowerEx MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger-Analyzer
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:39 pm

My logitech wireless is rechargeable - never have to take the battery out to recharge. It was $75 but NewEgg had it on sale for $29.99 a few weeks back. If you want the rechargeable, they are expensive, but NewEgg has frequent sales on them. You must be on their list to get those prices.

The mouse below claims 3 year battery life - figure on 6-12 months. It has 4.5 stars from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless ... chargeable

midareff

Post by midareff » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:56 pm

http://www.uoften.com/jettech-8100-high ... mouse.html

The JetTech 8100 is absolutely the deal. About $10.99 and free shipping at this sight. You might find it a little cheaper on another site, up to you. I have one about 18 months now.... it gets used about 2 -3 hours a day and batteries (2 AAA cells) last close to a year. Got a second one for my bride about 14 months ago ... she probably uses it even more than mine gets used. Hers is still on original batteries. My highest recommendation. Both are on windows systems.

Toons

Post by Toons » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:03 pm

mike143 wrote:
Toons wrote:Speaking of batteries :happy so pleased I don't have to go buy batteries anymore for countless devices in house(keyboards,mice,remote controllers,wall clocks,,etc) since I purchased:

http://www.amazon.com/eneloop-Pre-Charg... b_title_ce
And if you take it over the top you baby them with a good charger: Amazon.com: PowerEx MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger-Analyzer
+1 :happy

mephistophles

Post by mephistophles » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:23 am

Thanks for all the good advice.
ole meph

davebarnes

Logitech

Post by davebarnes » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:59 pm

A nerd living in Denver

sdrone

Post by sdrone » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:17 pm

I like my Logitech M305. It's small, but not so small that it doesn't fit my hand. Uses 1 AA battery that lasts several months. Usually about $15 at Target. It can withstand drops and the occasional toss against a wall.

It may have been replaced by the M310, which is $20 or under.

Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:57 pm

sdrone wrote:I like my Logitech M305. It's small, but not so small that it doesn't fit my hand. Uses 1 AA battery that lasts several months. Usually about $15 at Target. It can withstand drops and the occasional toss against a wall.

It may have been replaced by the M310, which is $20 or under.
I LOVE these things, I have 4 of 'em.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BEDPIG
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)

lmpmd

Post by lmpmd » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Those Logitec mouses rule. I'm using a M505 now. Maybe that model was replaced by the M510? The tiny receiver stays in the laptop. The battery lasts practically forever. Read the review by users on Amazon. Having a back button is key, but they all have that. They all have battery saving characteristics. I use a push of the wheel to the left for the back function.

midareff

Post by midareff » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:52 pm

midareff wrote:http://www.uoften.com/jettech-8100-high ... mouse.html

The JetTech 8100 is absolutely the deal. About $10.99 and free shipping at this sight. You might find it a little cheaper on another site, up to you. I have one about 18 months now.... it gets used about 2 -3 hours a day and batteries (2 AAA cells) last close to a year. Got a second one for my bride about 14 months ago ... she probably uses it even more than mine gets used. Hers is still on original batteries. My highest recommendation. Both are on windows systems.

"Got a second one for my bride about 14 months ago ... she probably uses it even more than mine gets used. Hers is still on original batteries. My highest recommendation. Both are on windows systems.[/quote]" It was the curse, first replacement batteries were required after 14 months two days ago.