Phone replaces computer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
chaz

Phone replaces computer

Post by chaz » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:47 am

This article shows how a smart phone can replace a desktop:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/ditch-your ... placement/
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

leonard

Re: Phone replaces computer

Post by leonard » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:26 pm

chaz wrote:This article shows how a smart phone can replace a desktop:

Note the full size keyboard and monitor in the picture. That smartphone isn't really replacing any of the important interfaces that make up a desktop.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

chaz

Post by chaz » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:40 pm

leonard wrote:
chaz wrote:This article shows how a smart phone can replace a desktop:

Note the full size keyboard and monitor in the picture. That smartphone isn't really replacing any of the important interfaces that make up a desktop.
But the phone does the computing. It does lack the keyboard and monitor.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

telemark

Post by telemark » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:47 pm

I wonder how that compares with a Raspberry Pi.

paulsiu

Post by paulsiu » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:41 pm

Well keep in mind that smartphone of today are more powerful than computer of yesteryears. I chuckle when I saw a Macintosh emulator for a smart phone. My phone is now more powerful than the machine I used in Freshman college.

Keep in mind that such a setup is rather imperfect. The Android phone is design for a touch interface and designed to be used on a tiny screen. Replacing it with a mouse and keyboard may not work very well. I can see some roadblocks.

1. Android lack certain big computer programs like Office, Turbo TAx, or Quicken. I don't see a way to remote desktop to another android for tech support help.
2. Android uses Cloudprint, which is supported by only a handful of printers. If you have a computer, you can use that as a print server.
3. Certain peripherals may not be available.I don't think there are many webcam supported.
4. If you work at home, you probably can't VPN to work.

Paul

chaz

Post by chaz » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:19 pm

paulsiu wrote:Well keep in mind that smartphone of today are more powerful than computer of yesteryears. I chuckle when I saw a Macintosh emulator for a smart phone. My phone is now more powerful than the machine I used in Freshman college.

Keep in mind that such a setup is rather imperfect. The Android phone is design for a touch interface and designed to be used on a tiny screen. Replacing it with a mouse and keyboard may not work very well. I can see some roadblocks.

1. Android lack certain big computer programs like Office, Turbo TAx, or Quicken. I don't see a way to remote desktop to another android for tech support help.
2. Android uses Cloudprint, which is supported by only a handful of printers. If you have a computer, you can use that as a print server.
3. Certain peripherals may not be available.I don't think there are many webcam supported.
4. If you work at home, you probably can't VPN to work.

Paul
Is an iPhone a better tool?

dsanders79

Post by dsanders79 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:44 pm

telemark wrote:I wonder how that compares with a Raspberry Pi.
The Raspberry Pi has pretty low specs compared to many modern smart phones. The Raspberry Pi shines with its low power consumption.

This was announced today:
http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/tablet

Towards the end of the video they talk about docking your phone with your tablet and then adding a keyboard and mouse - essentially making a desktop.

paulsiu

Post by paulsiu » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:49 pm

chaz wrote:]
Is an iPhone a better tool?
Well, an iphone would essentially have very similar issues. There are more airprint printers out there than cloud print, but I don't think there are webcams that work with iphone.

Paul

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:01 pm

I do not have an iphone. I used desk top PCs all my life, many times all day, never needed to recharge a battery. Does an iphone not need to have its batteries recharged every few hours and is limited by that?

roymeo

Post by roymeo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:07 pm

Quicken nags me every time I launch it that it has an iOS & Android app.
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo

tylerherman

Post by tylerherman » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:24 pm

First post, weeee.

You wont be able to find a new desktop machine in 10 years. The ones that exist will be for power users only (think 3d rendering etc).

Mobile devices are cheaper, just as fast, easier to use, and ... are MOBILE. Having to sit a a desk it dumb and you'll laugh about it down the road. Any software you "must have" on your desktop machine you can find now for free in a browser based version. Paying for Microsoft Office (or anything they make) is a waste of your money when there are free equivalents.

Right now the peripherals (monitors, speakers, mice, keyboard etc) haven't really caught up with the trend yet, but in a few years it will all be wireless and all sync easily with your mobile device(s). So if you have to have that huge monitor and big clunky keyboard you still can.

It isn't a fad or a nice to have, it is the way things will, be so you might as well get on board now.

leod

Post by leod » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:51 am

would you trust to do all your financial transactions on a mobile phone web browser or app?
how secure is it compared to a computer?

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:05 am

Maybe a phone can replace the computing power of a desktop, but not the ease of use. When I need to use spreadsheets with hundreds of rows/columns and equations that require multiple rows of text, there's no chance I'll be able to efficiently or effectively use a phone and a touchscreen for that. I don't think large monitors, keyboards, and mice are going anywhere for a long time.

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:36 am

leod wrote:would you trust to do all your financial transactions on a mobile phone web browser or app?
how secure is it compared to a computer?
Yes I would . I have been using LastPass(password manager),android app,on my mobile devices to access various accounts to initiate transactions,
bill paying,transfer money,share purchases etc. for quite a while now.Nothing is foolproof but no problems as of yet :happy

http://financialsoft.about.com/od/onlin ... e-Apps.htm
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

dsanders79

Post by dsanders79 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:47 am

Yes, I already do a fair amount of transactions with my phone - transfer money, deposit checks.

If you trust your computer I can not really think of any reason to not trust your phone. Ultimately smart phones are just small computers so they are equally subject to the security risks of a regular computer (albeit usually a different operating system). Similarly you should take the same security precautions you take on your computer - strong passwords, encryption, be careful what you install, etc. If for some reason you don't trust your bank's apps then you could still access their web page from your phone. Of course using a third party app may not be a good idea.

Smartphones often offer the ability to remotely wipe the device in the event it is lost or stolen which is kind of nice.

I agree with Kosmo, I don't see big monitors, keyboards and mice going away anytime soon. I can't imagine a room full of accountants saying numbers into an excel spreadsheet instead of typing would be too pleasant. But I am also sure there are many applications were keyboards and mice are a hindrance and can be replaced.

What I hope to see is the ability to do my work from any device. I do want to interact with the data in different ways. For example, I write my main grocery list in Evernote on my laptop because it is easier with a keyboard. If I am out and need to add one or two things I can do it from my phone. When I go to the grocery store I use my phone to check things off the list. I have also found my 7" tablet to be a good compromise when my phone is too small but my laptop is too big. For example, when I am on the bus reading a book or website I don't want to pull out my laptop but I like something a little bigger than my phone. I used to say I wanted a phone that was powerful that I had the option to dock and turn it into a tablet or laptop. But now I am not sure if that is necessary, with things like Google Docs and Drop Box, the data is accessible from any device already. There are certainly some security concerns that will need to be addressed and people will have to become comfortable. I remember when people were scared to enter their credit cards online, but now it is common for websites to store credit card information (though they really shouldn't be storing the numbers).

Even in the physical world there are security concerns such as card skimmers and most people don't think twice about swiping their credit card at a gas pump or handing their card to a waiter. This is a pretty bold example: http://techcrunch.com/2009/08/03/defcon ... -fake-atm/

patrick

Post by patrick » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:37 pm

tylerherman wrote:First post, weeee.

You wont be able to find a new desktop machine in 10 years. The ones that exist will be for power users only (think 3d rendering etc).

Mobile devices are cheaper, just as fast, easier to use, and
Except that they aren't cheaper -- not much cheaper anyway. You can get a low cost desktop PC for less than $300. Most mobile devices have a similar cost, unless it's the really low end ones or subsidized by a long-term phone contract.

And they certainly aren't as fast. Smartphone CPUs don't even come close to a desktop PC. Some of the higher end tablets do have the same CPUs as laptops which are close to desktop CPUs, but they are also more expensive and even there the graphics power is much lower.

Of course, for some tasks the weaker mobile CPUs are enough. If you only want to edit text, play music, run spreadsheets without demanding calculations, or browse web pages without demanding scripts, the smartphone CPU should be fast enough. But then again, a desktop PC from 10 years ago is also fast enough for that!

sdrone

Post by sdrone » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:14 pm

Every year or 2 I try to get rid of one of the computers in my office at home (1 for me that's powerful enough to run games, 1 for my wife that's usually my old one) and replace it with something simpler. I keep running into the things I can't do.

1. Almost anything with a spreadsheet.
2. Any serious word processing (resume, multipage doc, graphic, etc.)
3. Quicken (though I recently figured out how to transfer Quicken data to a google spreadsheet. The spreadsheet just doesn't have all the nice reports)
4. anything associated with work that's not short emails
5. Download and watch movies
6. Store and browse all my family photos
7. Scan and save bills
8. print anything
9. any decent game
and so on.

I mean, for instance, I use evernote more than anyone I know. Both for home and work. And what's easier?

1. REalize you need something in kitchen. Pick up pen, write it down on postit pad stuck to fridge.
2. On grocery day, rip sheet off and leave
OR
1. Walk to the room where your phone is
2. Unlock your phone with security code (you DO have a security code, right?)
3. Fire up Evernote and open the appropriate note
4. Attempt to put cursor in correct spot with your finger. Fail.
5. Use tiny cursor pad on phone to move cursor to appropriate place
6. hold phone with 1 hand, use other hand to type things in
7. At the grocery store, get phone out and type in security code
8. Mark a few things off
9. Enter security code on phone
10. Mark a few things off
11. Enter security code on phone
12. Mark a few things off

Note that I'm using the shorter path on the phone route, rather than getting the phone, plugging in the keyboard and monitor, etc. etc. Or walking down to where the phone is set up as a computer.

mike143

Post by mike143 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:40 pm

I am most effective on a desktop with multiple monitors first, laptop second and anything touch based last. I always find it entertaining when people force themselves to uses a inefficient device. Only thing I have found a touch based device useful for passive computing task (reading/web browsing, watching video, etc). I have tried to interface (type) with this forum on a touch device and it is painfully inefficient to do so, I lose my train of though in the time it takes to jot down a few sentences.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.

tractorguy

Post by tractorguy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:18 pm

Boy, have we come full circle. The kluge that the author used to connect his smartphone to a display and keyboard reminded me greatly of some of the patchwork efforts that I had to put up with in the early days of computing. See for example the Sinclair ZX81 kit.

IMOP, an integrated laptop is just too easy to set up, cheap to buy, and reliable to be replaced with a patchwork of devices and cables. In my life, the phone hasn't replaced my laptop so much as become just one more alternate pathway to put and view my data on the cloud. When I'm away from home for more than a day, my laptop goes with me because I can't stand typing more than 20 words on a tablet or phone. And, since I'm sometimes in places that don't have wireless or cell reception, I keep a local copy of my data on the hard drive on my laptop.
Lorne

Hypersion

Post by Hypersion » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:33 am

Just like the laptop connected to a full-sized keyboard and monitor replaced the desktop. Doing the same to your phone is the future but I think it's a few year away before it's mainstream.

Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:59 pm

roymeo wrote:Quicken nags me every time I launch it that it has an iOS & Android app.
you can check a box so it doesn't bother you next time :)

chaz

Post by chaz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:02 pm

Hypersion wrote:Just like the laptop connected to a full-sized keyboard and monitor replaced the desktop. Doing the same to your phone is the future but I think it's a few year away before it's mainstream.
My iPad does it all.