What's your usual retirement day like ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
VictoriaF

Re: What's your usual retirement day like ?

Post by VictoriaF »

reggiesimpson wrote:A common theme i have seen in these threads is that retired folks certainly have a terrific sense of humor. Retirement is worth it just for that alone!
Are you saying that retirement enhances sense of humor, or that only those with sense of humor retire?

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
graveday

Post by graveday »

VictoriaF wrote:
CaliJim wrote:We and the squirrels are one.
Especially when we squirrel money away.

Victoria
You may know that the term for a squirrel's nest is drey. I've never seen it in crosswords.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

CaliJim wrote:Where is this self that we are aware of? We and the squirrels are one.
I'd check with the squirrels to see if they want to be "one" with us.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

CaliJim wrote:Where is this self that we are aware of? We and the squirrels are one.
Indeed, and we both contribute to ruining my garden.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

VictoriaF wrote:
reggiesimpson wrote:A common theme i have seen in these threads is that retired folks certainly have a terrific sense of humor. Retirement is worth it just for that alone!
Are you saying that retirement enhances sense of humor, or that only those with sense of humor retire?

Victoria
Retirement definetely enhances a sense of humor and if you didnt have a sense of humor in your working life then retire now and increase the probability!
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

Retirement is the time for doing things your way and as well for accountability. Up to retirement, I have had to do things the way others require and situations dictate; now it is my turn. I am accountable for how I spend my time and whether I put it to good use rather than making excuses to the contrary.

Example one is reading of books. In college one had to rush through the books of literature-all the really great ones-trying to keep in mind what it was that would be asked on a test the following day. Now I read more slowly and more reflectively; digesting what is written; savoring it; giving myself time to reflect on it all and to feel the rhythm and flow of a book. The clock is no longer chasing me.

In the mornings, I start with tai chi before breakfast. The day has its chores, etc. but I will always squeeze in another taichi session in the afternoon for 40 mins. The theory behind the school of taichi I am learning teaches one not to rush the learning of it- one never fully learns it no matter how hard one practices or how long one lives. Rather learning with each practice session, it is as a piece of paper or snowflake and that it is in the accumulation of time and the practice sessions collectively that one can see the results and fruition of one’s practice.

When was the last time you were taught and able to follow that approach in learning a skill?

And then there are the maintenance jobs that need to be done: on the house, on the car, on the medical front. I am of the belief that life is 75% maintenance. Anyone can buy a car or house, more stuff, etc., but when it comes down to it, it is in the maintenance of oneself (physically, medically, and emotionally), ones relationships, and one’s belongings that time needs to be invested.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

CountryBoy wrote:Retirement is the time for doing things your way and as well for accountability. Up to retirement, I have had to do things the way others require and situations dictate; now it is my turn. ....
Based on reading the many retirement threads currently on the forum, this could be a good title for a book on what we do after retiring from a lifetime of hard work: "My Turn."
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

reggiesimpson wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Retirement definetely enhances a sense of humor and if you didnt have a sense of humor in your working life then retire now and increase the probability!
I think I already have some probability; a current goal is the integral.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Slapshot

Post by Slapshot »

ryuns wrote:
Indeed, and we both contribute to ruining my garden.
That's not all they ruin. My wife has a clothesline strung between two trees about 25 yards apart. In the middle she has a bird feeder that was mysteriously getting empty much more frequently than it should have. One morning I looked out the bedroom window and spotted one of our resident squirrels poised on the tree next to where the rope was tied. He stared at the rope for a while, then set out across it like one of the Flying Wallendas. I couldn't believe he could keep his balance for that distance.

He stopped above the feeder which has an umbrella-shaped "squirrel protector" above it. After hanging by his back legs, he slid down the protector, pivoted in midair, and grabbed onto the bottom of the feeder with his front legs. Then he pulled himself up and helped himself to a good meal. But this guy must be altruistic. He proceeded to shake the feeder knocking most of the remaining food onto the ground. Soon he was joined on the ground by three more squirrels and a couple of chipmunks along with some birds for which the food was intended.

Sometimes one can get a better show in the backyard than on TV. Plus it's free.
This time, like all times, is the best of times if we but know what to do with it.
graveday

Post by graveday »

So your squirrel protector shield functions about as well as the SEC?
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

graveday wrote:So your squirrel protector shield functions about as well as the SEC?
Squirrels are too big cute to fail.

Victoria
CarlZ993

Post by CarlZ993 »

I try to cram one day's worth of 'stuff' into a week. I sometimes achieve it.

Actually, I have a pretty set routine for the most part. Lots of working out (gym = 2 X week; running = 5 X week). Involved with a Boy Scouts Venture Crew (co-ed group of youth 14 - 20 yrs of age; meetings, campouts, backpacking trips, high-adventure trips, etc). Walking some w/ my wife (she can't run any more). Lots of supporting our local restaurants (Mon = 2 for 1 enchilades, Tue = Chinese lunch w/ wife / evening fast food with run group after a workout, Fri - rotating evening meal somewhere, Sun - heart-clogging breakfast after my 10-mile run). Go on a lot of backpacking trips (sometimes solo; sometimes w/ wife; sometimes w/ the Scouts; got a Grand Canyon trip coming up with the Scouts as well as a thru-hike attempt of the AT next month). Reading financial and hiking blogs daily. An occasional honey-do project for my wife.

The one thing that I thought I would do but haven't was to sleep in. After 7 yrs of retirement, I'm still getting up early w/o an alarm clock.
Carl Z
burt

Post by burt »

PaulW wrote:
find it hard to imagine the rigors of a full time job.

Paul
Ohhhhh I can imagine it. In fact I'm living it.........but not for long.
Monday is so bad, it even screws up Sunday.

burt
gatorking

Post by gatorking »

Retirees beware "surveys continue to show the least happy group to be those who quite often have excess time.”
The key to happiness:
http://www.psmag.com/blogs/news-blog/ke ... hed-51284/
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

gatorking wrote:Retirees beware "surveys continue to show the least happy group to be those who quite often have excess time.”
The key to happiness:
I have difficulty understanding the concept of "excess time." I always have a book with me at an airport, on a plane, in a dental office, etc. Books provide me with the floor of happiness, which is reasonably high. When another activity comes along I implicitly compare if I would like it better than reading a book, or not.

Victoria
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

Excess time........priceless.
RenoJay

Post by RenoJay »

VictoriaF wrote:
gatorking wrote:Retirees beware "surveys continue to show the least happy group to be those who quite often have excess time.”
The key to happiness:
I have difficulty understanding the concept of "excess time." I always have a book with me at an airport, on a plane, in a dental office, etc. Books provide me with the floor of happiness, which is reasonably high. When another activity comes along I implicitly compare if I would like it better than reading a book, or not.

Victoria
Interesting thought. I've traveled to all seven continents, and I always tell people I love to travel. But when I'm honest with myself about what I actually do on those other continents, most of the time I'm sitting somewhere beautiful reading a book that I would never find the time to read if I were at home.
KarlJ

Post by KarlJ »

dewey wrote:I'm reminded that Bertrand Russell once said that enjoying spending time doing nothing is never time wasted.
In Praise of Idleness by Bertrand Russell quote:

"The wise use of leisure, it must be conceded, is the product of civilization and education. A man who has worked long hours all his life will be bored if he becomes suddenly idle. But without a considerable amount of leisure a man is cut off from many of the best things."

For me the best things are doing what I always wanted to do but never had time for when I was working for a salary. In a typical day I read this forum with my morning coffee and check online news sources, do some reading of books, occasionally take a hike on which I take photographs or work on a painting.
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

KarlJ wrote:
dewey wrote:I'm reminded that Bertrand Russell once said that enjoying spending time doing nothing is never time wasted.

"The wise use of leisure, it must be conceded, is the product of civilization and education. A man who has worked long hours all his life will be bored if he becomes suddenly idle. But without a considerable amount of leisure a man is cut off from many of the best things."

For me the best things are doing what I always wanted to do but never had time for when I was working for a salary. In a typical day I read this forum with my morning coffee and check online news sources, do some reading of books, occasionally take a hike on which I take photographs or work on a painting.
Sounds good to me!
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

The key to happiness:
I didn't see the words "excess time" in the links you provided. Does it appear in the research or report from the university? Or is it just a term used by the article's author? I'm asking because I think it's open to interpretation and even misleading.
Occupier

Post by Occupier »

I am a retired lawyer. I work a couple of days a month for the court system as a mediator settling civil cases. I write two or three pro bono briefs a year on what I think are important issues. I have established some important precedents in federal and state courts. I ski three days a week in the winter, take long motorcycle trips in the summer, Alaska, Colorado, Mexico etc. I may go as part of a group, or take two weeks to go 2000 miles to visit one friend, or kid, or the ex, and return. I am a director of a national motorcycle club.

Now here is something that has me scared. Most of my friends are older than me. I don't seem to make new friends. Since half my friends ride motorcycles, I seem to loose one or two to either crashes or cancer a year. Not to rain on a interesting thread, I really worry about loosing all my friends. Dave
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

Occupier wrote:I am a retired lawyer. I work a couple of days a month for the court system as a mediator settling civil cases. I write two or three pro bono briefs a year on what I think are important issues. I have established some important precedents in federal and state courts. I ski three days a week in the winter, take long motorcycle trips in the summer, Alaska, Colorado, Mexico etc. I may go as part of a group, or take two weeks to go 2000 miles to visit one friend, or kid, or the ex, and return. I am a director of a national motorcycle club.

Now here is something that has me scared. Most of my friends are older than me. I don't seem to make new friends. Since half my friends ride motorcycles, I seem to loose one or two to either crashes or cancer a year. Not to rain on a interesting thread, I really worry about loosing all my friends. Dave
Loss of friends has just started for me. Resolution?.................i talk to everyone.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

My father "retired" at age 62 back in 1971. He and mom owned a small town general store (groceries plus other supplies). I was 15 at the time and was concerned about how we were going to survive financially. Little did I know at the time that he really wasnt making much $$$ in our store (was paying himself $75 per week for 6 days of 7am - 6pm).

Dad had purchased a small farm about 20 years earlier and rented it out, except for about 10 acres which he grew pine trees for Christmas.

Well, dad "retired" and immediately got busy. We had three very large gardens which kept him busy from March thru October. Mom handled the canning and freezing of vegetables. He harvested pine trees and sold them in December, plus made wreaths and grave coverings. He was busy until December 24th and then he "rested" March when he started the cycle again. Oh, during that time he would do odds and ends such as hull hickory and walnuts that he collected during the fall.

Funny thing about retirement ... he was almost as active as during his "working days". Benefits were many...he lost 40 pounds, their financials improved dramatically. He was doing what he wanted to do, rather than what he had to do. But, the key for him was to keep busy....and he did.

He is my model for retirement, although I am a few years away. I have already started the gardening (this will be our 4th year) and I would love to purchase a small (10 acre) plot of land with a home. I still own the farm, but it is several hours away.

My wife is talking about retirement in 5 years, my sales career is keeping me happy for now.

Ed
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

reggiesimpson wrote:
Occupier wrote:I am a retired lawyer. I work a couple of days a month for the court system as a mediator settling civil cases. I write two or three pro bono briefs a year on what I think are important issues. I have established some important precedents in federal and state courts. I ski three days a week in the winter, take long motorcycle trips in the summer, Alaska, Colorado, Mexico etc. I may go as part of a group, or take two weeks to go 2000 miles to visit one friend, or kid, or the ex, and return. I am a director of a national motorcycle club.

Loss of friends has just started for me. Resolution?.................i talk to everyone.
That is a good resolution! For me, it's been making new friends and appreciating friendship in general more than ever.
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

Fallible wrote:
reggiesimpson wrote:

That is a good resolution! For me, it's been making new friends and appreciating friendship in general more than ever.
+1 Couldnt agree more. When i was young i stuck to myself. Didnt speak to anyone. What a loss ( read idiot). Now i talk to strangers in grocery stores, bars, the deli, anyone at all. Its a whole new world out there. Been hanging out with folks i havent seen in decades also. I guess we are all in the same boat!
mapleosb

Post by mapleosb »

reggiesimpson wrote:... Now i talk to strangers in grocery stores, bars, the deli, anyone at all. Its a whole new world out there....
Thanks reggiesimpson, I had a good chuckle at this and called my wife over to look at it. When we were at the supermarket shopping last week, she asked if she was with the Mayor since I had said hello or talked to so many folks I didn't know! :D I have been retired 10 years and just enjoy life as it comes, talking to everyone is a good rule if you ask me.
“A mile of highway will take you a mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere!”
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

mapleosb wrote:
reggiesimpson wrote:... Now i talk to strangers in grocery stores, bars, the deli, anyone at all. Its a whole new world out there....
Thanks reggiesimpson, I had a good chuckle at this and called my wife over to look at it. When we were at the supermarket shopping last week, she asked if she was with the Mayor since I had said hello or talked to so many folks I didn't know! :D I have been retired 10 years and just enjoy life as it comes, talking to everyone is a good rule if you ask me.
Exactly. Hey, you never know who you come across.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Get up.
Nearly every day --
Have breakfast (usually skipped breakfast before).
To coffee shop and read paper.
To City recreation center to swim laps or exercise.
Lunch somewhere.
Visit or meet friends.
Come home afternoons, and read a book.
Dinner & evenings at home.
(Seemed to not have time daily, before retirement, for most of the above).

Winter vacations in Hawaii.
Summer vacations in Michigan's Upper Penninsula, or Wisconsin.
Miscellaneous visits to children out of state, and many weddings in large extended family.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
graveday

Post by graveday »

mapleosb wrote:
I agree. When small my kids used to ask, "Do you know that person?" when I started conversations in waiting rooms, on buses, in line at the bank, where ever. Now they just roll their eyes.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

reggiesimpson wrote:Now i talk to strangers in grocery stores, bars, the deli, anyone at all. Its a whole new world out there.
You do it here, too :D.

Victoria
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

VictoriaF wrote:
reggiesimpson wrote:Now i talk to strangers in grocery stores, bars, the deli, anyone at all. Its a whole new world out there.

Victoria
Yup.........and i have met some terrific people. Including you........cue to "roll eyes"
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

reggiesimpson wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Yup.........and i have met some terrific people. Including you........cue to "roll eyes"
Done, on cue.

Victoria
chaz

Post by chaz »

reggiesimpson wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
We are fortunate to read Victoria's funny posts.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

chaz wrote:
reggiesimpson wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Is this another cue? :happy

Victoria
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

chaz wrote:
reggiesimpson wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
+$$$$$ :)
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Fallible wrote:
chaz wrote:
reggiesimpson wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Does that include powder room humor?

Victoria
midareff

Post by midareff »

heaven
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

VictoriaF wrote:
Fallible wrote:
chaz wrote:.
Does that include powder room humor?

Victoria
Give me a minute on this one. I'm still laughing at the "Before or after" body donation on the "Frugal" thread. :D
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

midareff wrote:heaven
You beat me to it. I was about to make the same response. :sharebeer
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

KarlJ wrote:

What a role model, I believe Russell was known as a serial seducer, having his way with the wives of his colleagues. No wonder he loved his leisure time...
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
graveday

Post by graveday »

1530jesup wrote:
KarlJ wrote:

What a role model, I believe Russell was known as a serial seducer, having his way with the wives of his colleagues. No wonder he loved his leisure time...
Speaking of powder room humor.
Anyway, it could be said a current retirement day is discovering yet more locked threads on Bogleheads. Hey, that rhymes.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

graveday wrote:
1530jesup wrote:
KarlJ wrote:

Speaking of powder room humor.
Anyway, it could be said a current retirement day is discovering yet more locked threads on Bogleheads. Hey, that rhymes.
The trick is to discover a thread just before it's locked and insert your meaningful contribution IBTL. To prevent this particular powder room from being locked, let's call it dry-powder room.

Victoria
graveday

Post by graveday »

That's droll and dry, so, good.
Nancylee

Post by Nancylee »

I can't wait to retire! I am an artist and have lots of hobbies. I take a pottery class and took a jewelry making class. I fist got into art by taking a watercolor class about 3 years ago, and got hooked on art! We cancelled our TV. I sew and crochet, also, and we snowshoe. I used to run a dog rescue, I would have loved some retired volunteers to help us. Do you like music? Take piano lessons! A keyboard is cheap, especially second hand. You are NEVER too old to learn something new!
volleyballfwtx

Post by volleyballfwtx »

Bump. Interesting thread.

For anyone needing ideas or have extra time. Visit meetup.com, type in salsa dancing, volunteering, travel, singles, couples group, bucket list, etc. There's always something to do, at the same time there's nothing wrong with doing nothing.:D
trudy

Post by trudy »

Browser wrote:During my worklife, I attended career planning workshops from time-to-time to see if I could discover what I was best suited for (I knew it wasn't what I was currently doing). One of the standard exercises is to brainstorm what you would do with yourself if you had the freedom to do what you most liked doing, not what you have to do to make a living. I always came up with "nothing" as the answer -- literally Nothing. Now that I do have the freedom to do what I want, I'm mostly doing nothing. So I guess those career workshops were actually pretty accurate.
When I was in high school, they gave us some monster test that not only measured abilities but interests. It was pretty darn accurate in the later in my case. Maybe you could root it up and see what turns up. (I knew I wasn't interested in business, but 3% on a scale of 1 to 99? That's kind of excessive disinterest, don't ya think :-)
trudy

Post by trudy »

Occupier wrote: Now here is something that has me scared. Most of my friends are older than me. I don't seem to make new friends. Since half my friends ride motorcycles, I seem to loose one or two to either crashes or cancer a year. Not to rain on a interesting thread, I really worry about loosing all my friends. Dave
I was fortunate enough to take some community classes at Stanford from the late Jane Emery, who was well into her 80s at the time.The topic of losing friends came up and she said she made an effort to make new younger friends.

Fore me it's not so easy. I worry about losing my friends and relatives. There's nothing quite like having decades of mutual history. I try to build strong connections with the next generation of the family, but they are so busy and geographically scattered that it is not easy.
trudy

Post by trudy »

gd wrote:Then I watch people recreating with their cell phones in hand, or iPods, or gasoline-powered toys, or just never, ever stopping in their busy boomer lives. Their only waking quiescent time comes while barraged by devices pouring other people's thoughts and voices into their heads, absorbing rather than observing. It disconnects people from the world around them, and while it may narcotize and satisfy the individual, it's probably not a good thing in the long run.
Like televisions in doctors' waiting rooms or in gyms. God forbid anyone have time to think.
robby152

Post by robby152 »

For a guy that is farther away from retirement than I would like due to my age, reading this stuff is awesome. I think it helps to see that what most people dismiss due to their own despair of not being able to achieve (i.e. 'I will never [be able to] retire'), you guys are purely enjoying. Most of my current interests probably won't make me a dime before I retire, so I can't wait to have the time to do those things full time. Keep it coming!
praxis

Post by praxis »

I've GOT to stop spending this much time on the computer. This thread inspires me to break out of my winter habit that has grown too big. I do some things I'm proud of, but I am addicted to reading stuff in the computer format. I love the way I can follow any train of thought, research an unfamiliar person or event or word, stay current with news, politics, markets, new writers and their work, music, inspiration, recipes, friends, etc. All from my office chair or bed or couch or kitchen or backyard.

I get in a hour of vigorous workout every day right after coffee, or I might talk myself out of it.

I always accept a chance to help someone that calls: a hospice patient, my cancer retreat co-host, my wife, our neighborhood association board, a friend, another fisherman who needs extra weight in the front of his boat. But being retired has slowed down the calls I get. I have noticed my answer to most service people or doctor's offices asking for a time that works for me is "whatever works for you."

I work in the garden every day and write stories for my writing class and a local paper. I cook our main evening meal 80% of the time because I like to, and ride my bike more than I drive (to the club and groceries at least).

But I HAVE to stop staring at this screen so much. That's going to be my NY revolution. I just decided. I will start by allowing 2 hours/day. Let's see if I can savor this wonderful life outside the net for a while.

Cheers,

Praxis