Low VOC cabinet paints

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Murray Boyd

Low VOC cabinet paints

Post by Murray Boyd » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:54 pm

I have a some built-in bookshelves that I'd like to paint white. Does anyone have any experience with durable low VOC cabinet paints? Thanks.

EagertoLearnMore

Re: Low VOC cabinet paints

Post by EagertoLearnMore » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:00 pm

Have you looked at the selection of Behr paints for trim at Home Depot? I used a custom white color which they matched to the Pella windows nearby. Looks very nice and blends with the surrounding windows and woodwork. You could choose a color from the chips or have it custom made - no extra charge.

Padlin

Post by Padlin » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:37 pm

I used General Finishes water based clear on my kitchen cabinets with great results. If you have a Woodcraft store around stop in and ask them about the Milk Paint, it comes in a couple types of white. Not cheap, but it's top notch.
Regards | Bob

ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:42 pm

Padlin wrote:I used General Finishes water based clear on my kitchen cabinets with great results. If you have a Woodcraft store around stop in and ask them about the Milk Paint, it comes in a couple types of white. Not cheap, but it's top notch.
Or you can go to the source. I've used it on small projects, and I've been pleasantly surprised working with stuff.
Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde

JustBill

Post by JustBill » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:28 pm

I assume you plan to brush and/or roll this unit as apposed to spray applying the finish. And flat surfaces such as shelves often encounter complaints of the paint blocking or sticking. So I suggest you search a Ben Moore or California Paints dealer and look at either Advance from Moore or NexTech from California. Both products are dual dispersion alkyds that are water-reducible and are low VOC and low odor, yet provide much improved flow and leveling when brushed than the popularized low VOC Behr/Valspar/Olympic products sold at home centers. Plus a much tougher film resistant to staining and blocking.

dickenjb

Post by dickenjb » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:31 am

The biggest issue with any type of paint for shelves will be blocking. Blocking is related to one thing and one thing only which is the Tg or glass transition temperature of the polymer binder. Well, there is a secondary effect which is PVC or pigment volume concentration - gloss paints block more than semigloss which block more than flats and eggshells and satins.

Low VOC paints, while being better for the environment and lower odor, block more. That is because traditional paints used large quantities of coalescents like glycol ethers and Texanol which helped the latex particles coalesce but then left the paint film over the next hours and days. The only way to reduce VOC's is to use a softer latex that can coalesce with lower levels of volatile organic compounds.

I would read Consumer Reports and find out which paint is rated best for block resistance. You do not want things sticking to the shelves.

It should be noted that an alkyd will chemically crosslink after application and that may indeed be the best choice. Low VOC paints are fine for walls and ceilings but doors and shelves are a different story.

PS I worked in the paint field for 20+ years.

Murray Boyd

Post by Murray Boyd » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:05 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going to go with the Benjamin Moore Advance and hope for the best.