Stereo Receiver Suggestion

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:52 pm

I love things to last; my Toyota Camry '99 has 200k miles on it and I am hoping for many more miles.

My NAD Stereo Receiver Model 7140 AM/FM Stereo Receiver that I have had about 40 years has given out and I am looking for a replacement.
see-
https://www.google.com/search?q=NAD++71 ... =firefox-a

The new NAD-C-725BEE costs about $800, is way above my budget.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-tDabhzPAgT ... 25BEE.html

The folks at Crutchfield say that Marantz builds things to last a long time and have suggested this:

Marantz SR4023 Stereo Receiver
http://www.amazon.com/Marantz-SR4023-St ... B001EMBKNO

It like most things today is made in China.

Can you tell me which 2 brands out there will last as long as my old NAD has and which model receiver you suggest. I only use the receiver for CDs, radio, and playing my turn table for records (yes records); so it does not have to do everything that many people want a receiver to do today.

Thanks.

cb

SP-diceman

Re: Stereo Receiver Suggestion

Post by SP-diceman » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:27 pm

I’ve had a Realistic(RadioShack) receiver for over 37 years.
(actually has quadraphonic outputs!)

Didn’t buy it expecting it to last, it simply had the best specs vs. cost (on my budget) of the time.

If you think I didn’t use it, I play guitar and other instruments and its spent many grueling years “playing along” as my band mate, teacher, and recording amplifier.

Id call myself an “above average” user.
(maybe “way” above average)

I have no idea what’s good today, as my “shopping” ended over 37 years ago. :)

Thanks
SP-diceman

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:56 pm

I just replaced my Nakamichi re-3, which was probably close to 20 years old. Because I could, I tore it apart and found a cheap custom part that wasn't worth repair. :annoyed

So, I replaced it with an Onkyo 5.1 receiver receiver, about $179. As expected, electronics will fail either immediately or near the end of the warranty period. It was DOA (Dead On Arrival), so I returned it for a replacement (+ $23 return shipping). The replacement works fine.

In spite of the failure, I don't think you'll get 40 years out of anything these days. The best you can do is go by the brand's reputation and product reviews (long term). I'm partial to Onkyo.

Remember that you don't need to search for a 2-channel receiver. Buy whatever you like, 5.1 or 7.1 channels, and only connect the Front R/L speakers. That's what I do for my receiver (2-channel stereo only).

However, you've got one twist here- listening to records. Long story short, you need to find a receiver with a "Phono" input, which may be hard to find. Otherwise, the sound won't reproduce correctly and it will sound lousy. My Onkyo doesn't have a Phono input. Neither does that $800 NAD receiver.

You could also rip your records into MP3 (or FLAC) format, but that needs a turntable with a digital output and software to match. It's probably not what you're looking for.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:05 pm

I bought this:

http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-HK- ... 13&sr=1-13

and am very happy with it, but I paid a lot less than the current asking price on Amazon. Amazon is always changing the price, so if you are interested, be patient, you can get it for less if you wait.

I don't use it, but it does have the phono preamp input you need.
gatorman

cvn74n2

Post by cvn74n2 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:33 pm

I think it depends on how you would use it and with what speakers. I highly recommend visiting the AVS forums and looking at what others say in both 2-channel and home theater areas of the audio section. I would also go to a real stereo store in the area and just start talking to the folks there. Most are enthusiasts who are happy to share their thoughts.

FWIW, I bought a Yamaha 7.1 for our home theater with an Andrew Jones Pioneer speaker system. Is it high end - no but it does just fine in my current situation. With my constant moving, I won't be heart-broken should the movers/shippers destroy it.

When we settle down, I am looking at a NAD integrated amp (40wpc) with efficient speakers (Klipsch Heritage or Mirage OMDs) for my man-cave. But, I will demo all before buying (hence the stereo store recommendation).

In the meanwhile, I am pushing my flac tunes thru a 20 year old Pioneer receiver into my AT AD-700 headphones and blissfully float away (listening to Ambrosia as I write).

ourbrooks

Post by ourbrooks » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:52 pm

The phono input needn't be an issue. Behringer makes a $20 little box that converts phono level inputs to line level input.

At some point, you should probably convert your records to digital media; if nothing else, the records will eventually wear out.
We started down the road of doing that, using the $30 Behringer box that goes from phono to USB, but, after a while, we discovered that
eMusic had many of the records we wanted as MP3s. It was worth the $5 or so per disc to get good conversions.

In the past year or so, I've quit purchasing even MP3s. I listen to classical music a lot; at last count, there were 400+ Internet radio stations that listed themselves as classical. Some are specialized to particular eras, such as early music or romantic. There's not as much of a reason to own the media unless you have very specialized listening habits, e.g, you like to compare multiple recordings of the same piece.

Something else you might want to look into are powered/active speakers. The claim is that since the amp will always be driving the same speakers, you'll get better results for the same money. An Internet radio with a USB slot driving active speakers is a pretty complete sound system.

CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:26 pm

Was shocked to learn that the new and very expensive NAD I listed above did not have a phono input; unbelievable. I would never have thought to even ask about that. Did I hear / read somewhere that vinyl was coming back?

Anyway, the topic of speakers came up so herewith a mention of the speaker system that I have in place now: Rodgers LS3/5A Monitor Loudspeakers

see: http://www.g4dcv.co.uk/ls35a/pics/keung ... index.html

They have excellent sound for my ears and are really all I need.

There are lots of hi-fi forums out there but they seem complex, very advance tech wise and focused on home theater systems and a lot more than I want to do. Can people suggest a couple of good forums for my level of need in this area of hi-fi? I am not totally Luddite, I just want what I had in my original NAD and to have this next purchase last as long as possible.

Thanks for the guidance.

cb

Ranger

Post by Ranger » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:34 pm

http://www.avsforum.com/f/173/2-channel-audio

AVS forum is one of the best forums out there

anonenigma

Post by anonenigma » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:36 pm

The NAD receivers from that era had amazingly clean sound, great midrange, and were very conservatively rated in terms of power. I have a NAD 7220 (great) and 705 (pretty good), though I switched years back to a Dynaco 70, which I like even better (though you'd need additional components to accomplish your purposes - I just have the CD player going into it).

I'm not sure how good current receivers are by comparison. You can find another 7140 on E-Bay for about $100 (just checked).

In the past I referred to Stereophile's Recommended Components list. It's now at http://www.stereophile.com/content/2012 ... components

Amidst the expensive stuff, there are a few more reasonably priced receivers and integrated amps, including NADs for well under $800.

tetractys

Post by tetractys » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:46 pm

A 90 watt Sony for $150 has the highest rating at Crutchfield.com

With technology the way it is today, I would hazard to guess that the difference in critical specs between higher and lower priced receivers could, in many cases make less difference than a human ear could differentiate. -- Tet

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:02 pm

I would get something that would tie into my wireless network, like this $480 Yamaha: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QR56SE
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 12-time loser

jhd

Post by jhd » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:10 pm

Emotiva is pretty popular amongst the cost-conscious-but-still-discerning crowd. See http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers for more. I haven't heard them personally, but lots of folks have written them up online.

As a side note, I'm a total skeptic when it comes to lots of audiophile gear, like $500 speaker wires, tweeter capacitors, or - yes - power cables. And I'm a partial skeptic when it comes to amplifiers; once you get up to a certain quality, double-blind testing doesn't show any differences. (Though bad is bad, of course.) And yet when I tried to replace my Jolida 1501 hybrid tube amp with a good quality Marantz HT receiver, the difference was huge. Maybe it was the tube preamp stage. Either way, I'm an amplifier skeptic who loves my Jolida amp.

Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:11 pm

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Animal House

Post by Animal House » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:43 pm

I have an older Yamaha RX-Z7 which I really enjoy, but I bought it more for my home theater than for just pure music listening. Really, you just need a 2 channel receiver. Onkyo makes affordable, yet excellent stereo receivers. The Onkyo TX-8255 receiver gets high marks, has a phono input, and is sub $200. Hard to beat that!
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free.” | ― Nikos Kazantzakis

Marquintosh

Post by Marquintosh » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:49 pm

Another vote for Emotiva, the Mini-X a-100 is $219 and has 50W x 2. You can buy it and try for 30 days and return it if you are not satisfied (you won't).
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amp ... ducts/a100

If you want a true stereo amp/receiver, don't go with 5 or more channels, the electronics won't do well for a true stereo setting. I'm a Yes fan as well and you need a good amp and speakers to fully appreciate their magic.

linuxuser

Post by linuxuser » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:17 pm

I have a 20 year old Rotel.
One of the newest models http://www.whathifi.com/review/ra-10

rfburns

Post by rfburns » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:37 pm

I'm surprised Pioneer hasn't been mentioned. Lots of good suggestions. No need to pay over $500 for a receiver unless you are an audiophile.

Jim127

Post by Jim127 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:37 pm

Ranger wrote:http://www.avsforum.com/f/173/2-channel-audio

This is the best advice. This is the largest home theater forum and you will find extensive experience with almost every brand and model that is available.

mass_biker

Post by mass_biker » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:40 pm

At the risk of sounding un bogleheadish - get another NAD. 40 years?...$/year you probably beat everyone on this board
I have a two channel NAD that has been a champ.
It doesn't have AM/FM and have never listened to radio thru it - I have it hooked up to my media server (and the sound is so, so sweet ripped to FLAC).

CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:10 pm

mass biker
get another NAD
I was looking around for a NAD Stereo Receiver Model 7140 AM/FM Stereo Receiver but I think they are very hard to come by......

Also, no one has said anything about Marantz, that I mentioned Crutchfield liked. Any experience within the last couple of years with the brand?

And yes, I have signed up for the AVS forum with the question.
see-
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1452992/a-lon ... cost-today

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:38 pm

CountryBoy wrote:
mass biker
get another NAD
I was looking around for a NAD Stereo Receiver Model 7140 AM/FM Stereo Receiver but I think they are very hard to come by......

Also, no one has said anything about Marantz, that I mentioned Crutchfield liked. Any experience within the last couple of years with the brand?

And yes, I have signed up for the AVS forum with the question.
see-
None with the Marantz unit. You might want to look at the HK 3490 I posted on earlier, cost is less (~$50 less) and it is 50% more powerful (120 W/Ch vs. 80W/Ch. into 8 ohms). Also the Marantz unit has 10 reviews and the HK has 209, and the HK has a 1/2 star edge in ratings.
gatorman

CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:51 pm

The 10 people who gave the HK one star on Amazon were pretty chilling in their comments......

After a while, one does not know who to believe...

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:12 pm

CountryBoy wrote:The 10 people who gave the HK one star on Amazon were pretty chilling in their comments......

After a while, one does not know who to believe...
I've had no problems with mine. 10 one star reviews out of 209 total ratings for the HK unit is a 4.8% bad rating rate. The Marantz unit has 2 one star ratings out of 10 total ratings, a 20% bad rating rate. So maybe you are right, "after a while, one does not know who to believe . . ."

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:48 am

Can you afford $100? It might not last another 40 years, but it will give you exactly what you want.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NAD-Stereo-Rece ... 7675.m1850

22twain

Post by 22twain » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:47 am

LadyGeek wrote:You could also rip your records into MP3 (or FLAC) format, but that needs a turntable with a digital output
Not necessarily. There are a few separate phono pre-amps that have a USB digital output in addition to analog stereo. NAD makes one, in fact, the PP-3i. But this is drifting away from the OP's intent.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:40 am

Thanks, I haven't researched the phono preamp options. As to drifting away from the OP's intent, AVS forum might be too complicated for the OP's level of expertise. IOW, try to stick to the brands mentioned here - Onkyo (my bias...), NAD, Yamaha, Marantz, Pioneer. I've missed a few for sure.

As long as you buy from an authorized dealer, you'll have warranty coverage. The major internet sites (amazon.com, newegg.com, etc.) usually are authorized dealers - double-check to be sure.

My bet is that a phono input won't be found in the OP's price range. So, it boils down to getting a cheap(er) receiver and an outboard phono preamp.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:41 am

Ranger wrote:http://www.avsforum.com/f/173/2-channel-audio

+1, Audi and video.

I still got my NAD turntable (about 20 years) but rarely got to use it now.

jacksprat

Post by jacksprat » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:54 am

OP,
I'd venture to say that ALL audio equipment made today- in the price range of your NAD- may sound good but is made to be disposable / non-repairable.

That being said, why not get yours repaired ?

Equipment of that era has mostly discrete components - not surface mounted or wave soldered - and unless there's some really esoteric chip or component in your NAD, parts are generally still available. In fact the schematic looks to be available as well..

Like you I have a couple of 40+ year old power amps which have only required a couple of cap changes and are built like tanks. They feel like they should sound good ! Though I doubt that the sound they produce is any better than today's equipment ..

CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:40 am

LadyGeek
AVS forum might be too complicated for the OP's level of expertise. IOW, try to stick to the brands mentioned here - Onkyo (my bias...), NAD, Yamaha, Marantz, Pioneer.
LadyGeek is correct.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:04 pm

CountryBoy wrote:And yes, I have signed up for the AVS forum with the question.
see-
I see you asked about the phono preamp. They are suggesting something that will cost as much as the receiver. While it will do the job, I suspect that your turntable cartridge is not up to audiophile quality and you can probably get away with something less expensive. Or, perhaps phono preamp are only used by audiophiles? Why don't you ask?

BTW, your speaker link is broken - wherever you got that link from, quote the post then copy the URL.

If the answers are too complicated, ask them to simplify. (It's just like investing here - if you don't understand something, please ask.)

Van

Post by Van » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:08 pm

Stay away from Pioneer.

harland

Post by harland » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:30 pm

LadyGeek wrote:Or, perhaps phono preamp are only used by audiophiles? Why don't you ask?
You need a phono preamp to adjust for the RIAA equalization curve used in cutting LPs. NAD does make a decent one, but it costs nearly half as much as their lowest priced integrated amp. And you'd have to buy a set of interconnects.

I'd just look on eBay or Audiogon for a used late model NAD receiver in decent shape or contact the company to see if they can repair the 7140 and how much it would cost. Could just be a bad cap or something else that's easy to replace.

I've bought most of my equipment used off Audiogon and haven't had a bad experience yet.

Like another poster mentioned, NAD equipment is made in China. That's how they're able to offer their products with such a high performance / cost ratio.
The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above-average drivers.

22twain

Post by 22twain » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:45 pm

LadyGeek wrote:it boils down to getting a cheap(er) receiver and an outboard phono preamp.
I haven't paid attention to phono sections in receivers for a while because I got rid of my turntable 12-13 years ago. My current NAD receiver (T-747) doesn't have one. This thread made me curious about them, so I looked through the listings on the Onkyo web site. They do have a couple of inexpensive models with phono inputs:

TX-8255 (stereo only, 50W/ch, $170 on Amazon)

TX-8050 (stereo only, network capable, 80W/ch, $260 on Amazon)

Then the multichannel models start, and you have to go all the way up to:

TX-NR717 (7.2 channels, network capable, 110-125W/ch, $615 on Amazon)

in order to find one with a phono input.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:00 pm

So the unwritten subtext of responses to this thread is that no matter what brand or label I buy, it will probably not last longer than about 5 years. Is that correct?

I had thought made in America might be of help with something like Pioneer:
"Made in the U.S.A." Audio Component Pioneer Redesigns Efficiency
http://www.magnaplate.com/company/case_ ... io_c.shtml

But I guess when it comes to today, the best thing to do is not look backwards.

So the two longest lasting labels at the moment are?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:07 pm

I'm worried about the OP's costs here. The price of the phono preamp is more than the cost of the receiver, and we don't know what shape the turntable's cartridge is in.

Hang on. CountryBoy - check your AVS forum thread. You've got a bite on the line. That's a 30 pound boat anchor, but it'll work. Do your negotiation via PM over on AVS forum (off-topic here).

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:10 pm

LadyGeek wrote:I'm worried about the OP's costs here. The price of the phono preamp is more than the cost of the receiver,
Which one?
The $18.98 one or the $15.48 one? How cheap is that receiver, $12.57?
http://www.amazon.com/PYLE-PRO-PP444-Co ... B004HJ1TTQ
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PP999-Phono- ... 00025742A/

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:23 pm

OK, I missed 22twain's post. :oops:

This looks like the best deal so far: Onkyo TX-8255 Stereo Receiver with free shipping for $170. It has a phono input.

This is in comparison to an AVS forum offer for shipping + unknown price for a 30 lb. boat anchor in unknown condition ("as-is"). Expect the total weight to be near 40 pounds if it's packed correctly. If it breaks in 6 months, that's a sunk cost and you'll still need to replace it.

rfburns

Post by rfburns » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:43 pm

CountryBoy wrote:So the unwritten subtext of responses to this thread is that no matter what brand or label I buy, it will probably not last longer than about 5 years. Is that correct?
40 years is an eternity in electronics history, but 5 years seems reasonable to use for depreciation value of new equipment.

Your needs are simple. Audio in for CD, built-in tuner and a built-in phono input.
I'm with the others. Give that Onkyo TX-8255 a try. Amazon has a friendly return policy.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:44 pm

harland wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:Or, perhaps phono preamp are only used by audiophiles? Why don't you ask?
You need a phono preamp to adjust for the RIAA equalization curve used in cutting LPs.
When was the last time you had a pre-amp with selectable equalization curves? Sometime in the 1960s for me. It had RIAA, NAB, LP, AES, and maybe a few more, I really can't remember.

You can still get them; this one costs $1600 for the phono pre-amp only.
http://www.kabusa.com/GIF/eqs12nl.jpg
http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/phonpre.htm

Mister Whale

Post by Mister Whale » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:54 pm

40 years? You're attached to it by now, I'd say. I'd repair it.

There are a number of "vintage audio repair" shops to be found online. For NAD-specific, Google turns these guys up: http://www.angelfire.com/art2/stereorepair117/NAD.htm
harland wrote:I've bought most of my equipment used off Audiogon and haven't had a bad experience yet.
+1
" ... advice is most useful and at its best, not when it is telling you what to do, but when it is illuminating aspects of the situation you hadn't thought about." --nisiprius

midareff

Post by midareff » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:01 pm

I'd look for a pristine Marantz 2235, 2245, 2275 or similar on eBay or a Yahama RX 870 or 1070. If this is for a stereo system I'd go the Marantz route, if for a home theatre it would definately be the Yamaha. Any of them will drive any reasonable speaker load with outstanding sound quality. I just checked and you can get the Yahama 870 for a hundred and small change and the 1070 (I highly recommend) for two hundred and change. It was built with all copper point to point wiring and a 5.1 chip that delivers amazingly detailed separation and performance. I've had my 1070 for close to 20 years and if anything happened to it I would replace it with same via eBay.

Mister Whale

Post by Mister Whale » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:06 pm

midareff wrote:I'd look for a pristine Marantz 2235, 2245, 2275 or similar on eBay or a Yahama RX 870 or 1070. If this is for a stereo system I'd go the Marantz route, if for a home theatre it would definately be the Yamaha.
+1 to that as well, except that the 1980s Yamaha stuff is fine for 2-channel.

I have some 80s Yamaha gear (which has been ticking along with no repairs after all this time) as well as a 70s Marantz 2230 (which was purchased for my young son; it needs some repair). Good stuff all.
" ... advice is most useful and at its best, not when it is telling you what to do, but when it is illuminating aspects of the situation you hadn't thought about." --nisiprius

CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:12 pm

Yes, I am attached to it; you are correct. So I sent off an email to the repair place and will see what they say re repair.

Also noted on their webpage that the NAD:
T-761,762; entire "T" series Poor quality products beset with many, many problems. We do not accept these for repair, advise replacement.
Gulp.
Last edited by CountryBoy on Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:21 pm

Don't forget shipping both ways. Your receiver is a shade under 17 pounds + packing material + box. They'll probably have a minimum fee to "look at it" as well. So, I'm thinking you're getting close to the "Not Worth Repair" range vs. $170 for new with warranty.

rfburns

Post by rfburns » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:27 pm

CountryBoy wrote:Yes, I am attached to it; you are correct. So I sent off an email to the repair place and will see what they say re repair.
I feel your pain. I had to pull the plug on my old Yamaha circa 1978 a few years ago.
Would you feel better fixing it for $150 or replacing it for $170?

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:28 pm

CountryBoy wrote:Yes, I am attached to it; you are correct. So I sent off an email to the repair place and will see what they say re repair.
Too late now, but it wasn't when I gave you the link :
NAD Stereo Receiver Model 7140 AM/FM Stereo Receiver
Item condition:Used
Ended: Jan 19, 2013 22:19:27 PST
Price: US $99.99
Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:48 pm
[adjust by 1 hour for PST: was 9:48 pm; you still had half an hour; your time zone may be different and you will see a different posting time, but no matter what time zone you are in, the 7140 was still available when I posted it for you; sometimes I wonder why I bother.]

CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:57 pm

I am totally undecided as to the question:
Would you feel better fixing it for $150 or replacing it for $170?
Isn't there a totally valid case to be made for both sides in my particular situation?

It would make a great thread to discuss the pros and cons of same.

At the moment, the new audio stuff seems to be flashy but of short duration and limited quality, while the old is not so pretty but with good sound and lasts. Can't a good case be made for repair?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:32 pm

You didn't post what happened to your receiver, other than "it broke." What happened: Did it totally die (nothing turns on), missing sound out of one channel, noisy volume control, smoke and flames, etc.?

Then, we can make our best guess on what is wrong and if it's worth repair. Remember that the repair only fixes the broken parts, not the ones that are about to break.

CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:53 pm

My apologies for not being more comprehensive in the OP.

The current problem is that the receiver all of a sudden no longer allows me to choose stations to listen to; rather starting last week, it only goes to the Pre-Set stations that I originally set up to listen to. Everything else on it is fine. My thought/guess is that this is possibly the first of what will be a cascade of problems that will follow so I am trying to be proactive on this.

I know from reading of the Boglehead forum that I should not confuse outcome with strategy, so, I can't expect to have the same good fortune with a long lasting receiver in the future. From what people tell me so far, my sense is that longevity that I like is not one of the characteristics to hope for. For some reason, buying a new receiver every 5 years does not sound sensible, although I realize that is the reality of the current marketplace.

I have learned lots from everything that everyone has said and I am grateful. Possibly, if, as suggested I could repair it .

What about this place listed below as a viable alternative..
Stereo Repair - In House Service Company, 12 Technology Drive, Ste. 13 East Setauket, NY 11733

NAD REPAIR Service INFORMATION
We repair all NAD products. Most NAD receivers, amplifiers, preamps and integrated amplifiers are well designed but have poor quality capacitors and preamp IC's and have developed soldering defects over time due to rather thin circuit boards and poor quality soldering. Perhaps 90% of NAD problems are cured by resoldering, cleaning of switches and controls and replacement of speaker relays. Basic repair prices usually range from $125.00 to 200.00 depending on model.

There are a few specific models and series that we have specific repair / upgrade choices for:

ALL RECEIVERS AND AMPLIFIERS:
NAD used some rather poor quality caps in most of the product line. These can be upgraded to higher quality caps for an additional 50.00 when repaired depending on model and will increase the sound quality quite a bit. Please contact us for specific details

Very popular units, often sold as a package with a 2000xx series power amp. These use a number of coupling caps of rather poor quality along with less than satisfactory Integrated circuits.

We have a upgrade package for these involving replacing all coupling and audio bypass caps with premium "muse" and Wima caps, upgrading the power supply to Hexfred and replacing the IC's with Burr-Brown Audio Select OP amps. Very good results as these were well designed units, lacking only better components to bring out their full potential.

Cost of full upgrade 350.00 and includes all regular basic service. (color for emphasis is mine)

T-761,762; entire "T" series
Poor quality products beset with many, many problems. We do not accept these for repair, advise replacement.
In my mind, if I could continue on for the next 10 yrs. with this receiver at a cost of $350, then that would be fine and I could come out ahead.

Again, I am grateful to everyone for their very generous sharing of time and of technical expertise on this question.

cb

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:18 pm

The "repair work" they describe is for a major engine overhaul, which doesn't address your problem. It's also got a bit of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) to scare you into thinking your receiver can be brought back from the dead for $350.00.

Only going to the Pre-set stations probably means it's either a logic board or a broken switch contact somewhere. It's like having a vacuum line leak somewhere, except that it's impossible to find among a rats nest of hose and you're not sure what line goes where.

A knowledgeable repair person will have to have the full schematic (repair manual), rip the receiver apart, figure it out, then hope that the part can be replaced. Parts on a circuit board don't like to be replaced - success is not guaranteed. You could also get extremely lucky with it only being a dirty switch contact, but I wouldn't bet on it.

On my Nakamichi receiver, I spent several hours hunting my problem down to a an intermittent contact inside a potentiometer (volume control). It wasn't worth repair because it was a very small custom part (about 1/4" square) and couldn't be bent back into shape or replaced. At least I knew what the problem was.

This is the risk you are taking: To pay someone for several hours of labor, then find out it's not repairable.