Home Siding

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Grt2bOutdoors

Home Siding

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:48 am

Any pros/cons using fiber cement siding versus using vinyl siding? Anyone have experience with using HardiePlank?
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

FNK

Re: Home Siding

Post by FNK » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:52 am

I'm curious about opinions of different products too.

Consider installing rigid foam underneath the siding for extra warmth.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:32 am

FNK wrote:I'm curious about opinions of different products too.

Consider installing rigid foam underneath the siding for extra warmth.
Yes, we are wrapping the home in Tyvek and installing the rigid foams regardless of which product we ultimately wind up going with. Just wanted to know if any has had experience with the HardiePlank fiber cement board.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

tjwolf

Post by tjwolf » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:48 am

Had the product on our house about 30 years ago. At that time we had nothing but trouble with it. It flaked off like a d-lamination, especially anywhere that was subject to moisture. Would not have it again under any circumstances. Have seen many houses that have had the same problem. Steel siding is a much better product.

That house was taken by a tornado in 1991. Was very glad to see it go. Glad that it took the Crestline windows also!

Sorry, you didn't ask about those.

Tom
Tom

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:08 pm

I have not use cement siding myself but it has become a very popular product, especially for better homes. I would never use vinyl siding because it is so fragile. Hardee plank is widely used in Charleston SC area due to storms and high winds they experience. Vinyl side is easily damaged in those storms. Cement siding seems to be the product of choice for higher end homes except for brick of course. If I ever build another home, I intend to incude cement siding and stone for my exterior. People I know in the home building industry speak very highly of it.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:15 pm

I resided my house myself using Hardiplank siding.
It was a fun job, spanning three years of fair weather.
I used stainless steel nails in my pneumatic roofing nailer as per instructions.
We painted the siding first, on a rack in my garage, using Sherwin Williams Duration.
I have a big pile of cedar shingles out back now that I use for kindling.
I figure I saved around a half-zillion bucks doing this myself...
Attempted new signature...

dpc

Post by dpc » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:41 pm

We replaced Weyerhauser particle board siding with HardiePlank about 10 years ago. It seems to be a great product. It is just about the only thing used on new houses around here. I would much prefer it over vinyl. We had the rigid foam board under the old siding - it was a nightmare to deal with when removing the old siding. I'm still finding nails. We got rid of it and re-sheathed with plywood. I'd never recommend the contractor we used, but the Hardie products seems quite good.

You might read the HardiePlank installation recommendations. Back when we had ours done, they preferred building paper under the siding instead of Tyvek.
"Worrying is like paying interest on a debt that you might never owe" -- Will Rogers

Loon11

Post by Loon11 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:38 pm

have cabin in hardiplank and a beach house. for the cabin, chose the prepainted hardiplank and absolutely love it. Its safe and can't compare to vinyl IMHO. Ever seen a burned vinyl home? it melts! Hardiplank is fireresistant. Think it is the way to go.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:57 pm

tjwolf wrote:Had the product on our house about 30 years ago. At that time we had nothing but trouble with it. It flaked off like a d-lamination, especially anywhere that was subject to moisture. Would not have it again under any circumstances. Have seen many houses that have had the same problem. Steel siding is a much better product.

That house was taken by a tornado in 1991. Was very glad to see it go. Glad that it took the Crestline windows also!

Tom
I would be very surprised if this was Hardi Board. There were other types/brands that had problems (LP was one and I believe Weyerhauser was another) but I was in the building materials business for 30+ years and have never heard of a problem with the Hardi product (other than perhaps an installation problem).

I've had Hardi on multiple homes in multiple climates and have had nothing but good experience with it. Not only does it hold up exceptionally well to the weather but it also does an excellent job of holding paint. Our current home is now going on eleven years without a re-paint and still looks good. My wife wants to change the color because she's tired of it.
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

daytona084

Post by daytona084 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:19 am

No experience with cement board but it appears to be a robust product.

My experience:
Previous home - replaced aluminum with high quality vinyl (triple-3) installed by reputable local contractor. Very happy with the result.
Current home- cheap vinyl installed on new home by builder. Poor appearance (wavy) and noisy under windy conditions.

TRC

Post by TRC » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:46 am

We just resided our 12 year old house this summer and chose hardiplank. VERY happy we did.

When we bought it, it had vinyl. It was faded, broken in many places, and looked very cheap. We also had quite a bit of ant infestation and rot behind the vinyl where was was getting through.

HP isn't cheap, but its well worth the money IMO. We've had so many compliment te from the neighbors. Things that we really like:
- it's a Solid product. Nothing gets behind it.
- it looks like wood.
- doesn't need painting for 15 years
- it's fireproof, won't melt
- definitely steps up the curb appeal.

Only cautions are not to install it too close to the ground (not less than 7" per the HP recommendation). Constant water splashing back on it can cause it to break down. Our installer used white azek (plastic) for trim around the windows, corners of house, wash board trim alon the bottom of the house, and freeze board trim along the top of the house.

We went with a certified hardy installer. The quotes varied from 25k - 38k. We went with a contractor that fell in the middle. Definitely get multiple quotes, ask for references, and go look at recent and current jobs.

tat2ng

Post by tat2ng » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:04 pm

I've been doing the same research for my planned detached garage/barn, and later on when we build the house.

Everyone I've talked to about it, and everything I've read speaks VERY highly of the Hardie products (both the plank siding, and the 4'x8' panels). I was a bit hesitant initially due to assumed cost increases, but the more I've read - the more I'm sure it will be worth the costs (and honestly the initial extra cost will most likely be cheaper than the long-term maintenance or replacement cost for a lesser product).

I will probably be using the 4'x8' Hardie panels for my garage/barn, and then the same, or maybe switch to the Hardie planks for my house.

Cheers,
tag

sls239

Post by sls239 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:23 pm

Our first house had Hardi-plank. We got a discount on our insurance because the insurance company counted it as masonry, unlike other types of siding. The color retention aspect was appealing too since it was a place that gets about 300 days of sunshine a year. Our home inspector said that Hardi-plank was very exacting with their installation procedures, and we did have the builder re-do a couple of mis-installed items.

I will say that our house now, in a different part of the country, has vinyl siding, is over 10 years old and has just a very little damage and the color is still good. Hardi-Plank may be a superior product, but it isn't common around here and I doubt we would get much advantage as far as resale price.

McCharley

Post by McCharley » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:50 pm

Don't do vinyl. It really drops curbside appeal.

Hardie is good stuff -- no competition there. I have it on my house and a shed.

My only complaint is that working with it can be dusty, but if someone else is doing the work that's not an issue.

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:36 pm

I have Hardiplank on the top floor exterior of my home. It was installed over 15 years ago. I am still very happy for having it installed. I recommend it to anyone who asks about it.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

Animal House

Post by Animal House » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:55 pm

We originally had LP siding and got a settlement in a class action. We opted to go with Hardiplank and have had no issues with the siding. Our neighbors across the street opted to go with Vinyl and to have their eaves wrapped in aluminum. We live in Atlanta, so I was waiting to see what the heat/sun would do to their Vinyl. It has been 7-8 years and their siding still looks like new and they have had no issues. I am going to need to get the house painted fairly soon and that is going to be 4-6K worth of expense. To me the biggest advantage of Vinyl is not needing paint. I know Vinyl may lower the curb appeal and even impact the selling price, but it does not take too many 4-6K paint jobs to make Vinyl a smart choice.
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free.” | ― Nikos Kazantzakis

JPH

Post by JPH » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:59 pm

I put the hardiplank on my house 4 years ago. No problems; we love it.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:49 pm

McCharley wrote: My only complaint is that working with it can be dusty, but if someone else is doing the work that's not an issue.
There are special shears that should be used when cutting Hardi products. The dust isn't good for you or your tools and the shears keep it to an absolute minimum. You should be able to rent the shears rather than having to purchase them.

See here....
http://tinyurl.com/b74jwaw
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:29 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:
tjwolf wrote:Had the product on our house about 30 years ago. At that time we had nothing but trouble with it. It flaked off like a d-lamination, especially anywhere that was subject to moisture. Would not have it again under any circumstances. Have seen many houses that have had the same problem. Steel siding is a much better product.

Tom
I would be very surprised if this was Hardi Board. There were other types/brands that had problems (LP was one and I believe Weyerhauser was another) but I was in the building materials business for 30+ years and have never heard of a problem with the Hardi product (other than perhaps an installation problem).

I've had Hardi on multiple homes in multiple climates and have had nothing but good experience with it. Not only does it hold up exceptionally well to the weather but it also does an excellent job of holding paint. Our current home is now going on eleven years without a re-paint and still looks good. My wife wants to change the color because she's tired of it.
+1

Hardi and other true cement board siding manufacturers make a great product. It is mean to mimic the look of wood siding, but to those with a discerning eye, it is easily recognizable because the Hardi plank is about 1/4" thick vs +1/2" for wood siding. They now make cement board siding that is thicker and looks more like real wood siding. It is also more expensive to buy, and more expensive to install because it is heavier.

Make sure that whoever installs it follows mfg recommended installation procedures. You will void the warranty otherwise. I believe one of the caveats with Hardi is that the house needs a house wrap under the Hardi (like Tyvek). People also routinely use nails which are too short when they place Hardi over blue board.

Note that cement fiber siding now comes in not only lap siding, but stucco panels, shingle look, etc.

My only concerns with the stuff, other than the above, are:
- Health issues when cutting - better to use the specialized shears to cut it as they produce less fiber cement dust.
- Health and logistics issues if the paint ever peels from the stuff. How are you going prep it to repaint? You can't sand it, so you will have to do a massive powerwash and hope the powerwash gets all the loose and flaking paint. That said, I've never seen fiber cement siding peeling; I'm just concerned that there would be a mess if it ever did peel.

webslinger

Post by webslinger » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:33 pm

Grt2bOutdoors

You may want also want to look at this informative thread from September.

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=102989

We resided our house with Hardie board and are very pleased. Proper installation is key.

Webslinger

ResNullius

Post by ResNullius » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:39 pm

If I were residing my house now, I would certainly use Hardiboard. I would never, ever use vinyl. Homes with vinyl siding have low resale value as compared to almost anything else on the market. Custom homes around my resort area, homes sometimes costing millions, use Hardiboard or something similar. My house has cedar shingles, and they are getting to the point of needing to be replaced. I hope to move before they need to be replaced, but they have already lasted 30 years. The weather around my neck of the woods is really harsh on all types of siding, but Hardiboard seems to do the best. Just my two cents.

JerseyBoy

Post by JerseyBoy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:15 pm

If you choose to use fiber cement siding like Hardie board, you should have the product primed by the manufacturer (much better than priming in-place) and then top coated after installation with a high quality acrylic latex paint like Sherwin-Williams Duration product (excellent color retention and resistance to chalking). Keep in mind that you will likely have to repaint every 15 years or so --- no exterior house paint lasts forever!

lindisfarne

Post by lindisfarne » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:57 pm

I'd go to a site where the experts post; I've used http://www.diychatroom.com for tiling questions in past & gotten real good information. You do need to do a lot of research & read through all relevant threads.
There are a lot of people in the field who don't give real good advice. For example, many people add insulation to the outside of their house and find that it doesn't really help much. For it to work, it needs to be done correctly, and doing things like caulking & adding insulation to roof/basement gives you more bang for the buck; energy efficient windows (installed properly) are also seen as a better investment than insulated siding.

If you have an older house, the paint that has been added over the years often created a nice seal. The way many contractors try to add insulation to the house exterior ends up being worse than was originally there because they break the seal, then apply the insulation in a way that allows cold air to get up between the insulation and the house. I'm not at all an expert, but I've talked to a few about this.

What siding to use also depends on your climate. Some of the products mentioned in this thread are not recommended for some US climates.

dianna

Post by dianna » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:17 pm

Resided house and soffited (is that a word?) with Hardieboard about 10 years ago. Purchased boards pre-primed, then painted them ourselves with Sherwin-Williams Duration paint. Installed by contractor and team with Hardieboard training and experience. Siding has held up very well through significant temperature fluctuations, sun exposure, hail, wind, etc. Haven't painted it yet but it might be time for a fresh coat.

Only downsides I can think of are more related to our specific installation than the product. Product is great, but HEAVY. Hardiboard on soffits has seen more expansion/cracking than we anticipated. Also, we used Hardiboard on the double garage door for aesthetic purposes to make it look like the rest of the house, but that made the garage door so heavy that we have commercial rails and commercial-grade lift for the door, and you can't leave the garage door open for extended periods of time or else the sag is too great and it pulls on the rails. And forget about getting out of the house with a car in the garage if the power ever goes out - no way either one of us could lift that door on our own.

fandango

Post by fandango » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:00 am

I have lived in a stone and Hardieplank home for 5 years now.

Hardieplank looks like new after five years. Only sign of age is that the paint on it has faded some on one side of the home (southern exposure).

I will paint the whole house this summer using Sherwin Williams SuperPaint. This should be the only maintenance for the next 10 to 15 years.

bgwilli

Post by bgwilli » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:25 pm

Avoid stucco exteriors. Since the late 1980's there have been widespread problems with moisture damage behind stucco walls. The issue is that if there are seams along windows, doors, or roof lines, water can get behind the stucco walls. Newer homes are made very air tight and the moisture then lingers, potentially causing wood rotting and mold problems. In Minnesota the problem is prevalent (one suburb reported moisture damage in 400 of 600 homes with stucco).

If stucco is used, you have to be extremely diligent about proper roof flashing, gutters, tightly sealed/caulked window edges, etc. The moisture can be tested by a meter after small holes are drilled into the stucco, done by a moisture tesing company or home inspector.

Be very cautios if one is considering buying a home built within 25 years with stucco.

BW