Paper Shredder recommendation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
runnergirl

Paper Shredder recommendation

Post by runnergirl »

The last paper shredder I had broke within a couple of uses. Any recommendations for a durable cross-cut shredder? I don't care if it takes too many sheets. Just home use.
PaddyMac

Re: Paper Shredder recommendation

Post by PaddyMac »

The one Costco carries works well for me, and I shred mostly cardboard (for worm composting).
http://www.costco.com/SHREDDER%2cPS79CI ... 50054.html

Plus, if it breaks down their return policy is really good too. I found anything less than $100 broke too soon, was too slow, etc.
linuxuser

Post by linuxuser »

runnergirl wrote:The last paper shredder I had broke within a couple of uses. Any recommendations for a durable cross-cut shredder? I don't care if it takes too many sheets. Just home use.
I have a Staples cross-cut shredder. I have had it for several years and it is still work.
This week Office Depot has a micro-cut shredder on sale for $50. This is what I would get the next time I need a new shredder.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

I use this one from Wally World, works great. $25

Your mileage may vary.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/6-Sheet-Cross ... e/16609295
Keep It Simple

Post by Keep It Simple »

I recommend getting a Fellows brand shredder. It may cost a bit more, but it will hold up better than most others.

K.I.S.
CABob

Post by CABob »

I have had a Royal model VF880 for a couple of years that has not given me any problems. I could not find this model currently, but, it appears to be similar to their current model PX70MX https://www.royalsupplies.com/templates ... 20Sheet%29
It says it will take 7 sheets, but, I usually limit to about 3 sheets. It will shred credit cards and CDs.
Bob
mediahound

Post by mediahound »

I'm quite happy with this one, Fellowes 79Ci:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NVSQZqZvt0

Mainly because it's way quieter than other shredders and it performs well.
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

Keep It Simple wrote:I recommend getting a Fellows brand shredder. It may cost a bit more, but it will hold up better than most others.
I haven't owned any other shredders to compare it with, but I can also recommend a Fellowes shredder. I have had mine (Powershred MS-450Cs model) for 5 years and it seems as good as new even after shredding many thousands of pages of documents. Just add a few drops of oil every once in a while to keep the blades lubricated. Cost was $163 according to my e-mail archives.
KarlJ

Post by KarlJ »

I purchased this Staples shredder on sale for $20 with 10 lbs of free shredding at Staples store ($7.90 normally)
http://www.staples.com/Staples-8-Sheet- ... uct_917640
Shredder works fine with no jams so far.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

Keep It Simple wrote:I recommend getting a Fellows brand shredder. It may cost a bit more, but it will hold up better than most others.

K.I.S.
My Fellowes shredder has also performed reasonably well. While I take care to maintain it well, I'm pretty surprised it's lasted as long as it has. Not sure, but probably at least five years old at this point
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Fellowes @Wally World(plenty of choices no need to spend a hundred bucks) :happy

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fellowes-Shre ... r/20510319
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Rant2112

Post by Rant2112 »

Fellowes by a longshot.

Also, here's a great site for answering these types of questions:

http://www.consumersearch.com/paper-shredders
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

One of my criteria for a shredder is the size of the waste basket. I prefer one with a 10 gallon receptacle so I can line it with a kitchen garbage bag and don't have to empty it too often. Most shredders significantly increase the volume of waste and the safety interlocks prevent you from substituting the waste basket, so your stuck with the original container, too bad if shredding 30 sheets fills it up.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

While it is somewhat low volume I don't need to shred a lot of pages.

Mine is a 1 hp hydrodynamic shredder. Turns the papers to mush, and flushes in to the sewer, much better than cross cutting.

Made by Insinkerator.

Though if I have a lot paperwork to get rid of I have been known to burn it in the living room incinerator.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
Topic Author
runnergirl

Post by runnergirl »

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check out the Fellowes from Walmart.
yosef

Post by yosef »

For home use I think most anything will do. We had a no name shredder for a number of years that we used virtually daily before it finally died a year or 2 ago. Now we have a Royal we bought at Costco. It's fine, and shreds more paper at once, but the bin was actually larger on the old one.
khh

Post by khh »

A bit off topic, but a couple of years ago I finally got around to shredding everything that needed shredding. I filled a couple of big Rubbermaid containers and took them to 'Stop n' Shred' (or was it 'Shred n' Go'?). Anyway, I had bank statements and loan documents from as far back as the late 70s. Amazing how much you accumulate over the years.
mike143

Post by mike143 »

Listen to your shredder, when it starts to sound like its struggling, oil it up with canola oil: http://sites.fellowes.com/Fellowes/mate ... _35250.PDF

You can also be proactive. Coworker asked me to order another shredder and asked what was wrong with it, said it was dying. Little oiling its operational again.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Our last shredder from Staples lasted over 10 years. Stopped working so we purchased another one from Staples a year or so ago. Knock on wood, no problems. Paid a few bucks extra for a cross cut. Maybe $30 or $40 dollars.

Use the oil sheets once a month or so to care for the blades.

Shred all receipts when the monthly statement arrives and everything clears.

Does anyone else shred receipts?
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
mediahound

Post by mediahound »

mike143 wrote:Listen to your shredder, when it starts to sound like its struggling, oil it up with canola oil: http://sites.fellowes.com/Fellowes/mate ... _35250.PDF

You can also be proactive. Coworker asked me to order another shredder and asked what was wrong with it, said it was dying. Little oiling its operational again.
I actually bought the Fellowes-branded shredder oil. It was like $10., I had no idea it was just canola oil. Next time, I will just buy some canola oil for $2.00, which is more Bogleheadish. :sharebeer
mediahound

Post by mediahound »

abuss368 wrote: Shred all receipts when the monthly statement arrives and everything clears.

Does anyone else shred receipts?
I do; anything with the last 4 digits of my credit card, I shred. I also shred the portion of all junk mail that has my address. Maybe I'm being a bit over-paranoid, but it's fun to shred!

BTW, the Fellowes 79ci model is so quiet, I can shred with someone sleeping in the next room. And, it's jam-proof. I'm very happy with it, it's the best shredder I've ever had.

Everyone should incorporate a shredder into their home/office and use it often.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

I use to hate emptying my shredder as it always seemed to fill too quickly, and to spill and make a mess in the house. So I moved it out of the house.

Now my small shredder is mounted through a *hole in a wall shelf over an open trash barrel in the garage, so there is never a problem with spilling, overflowing, or emptying the barrel. Mail is sorted and junk mail shredded before coming into the house. Everything else is shredded as needed... when it is warm enough in the garage.
  • *The hole in the shelf was sized for my last large shredder, but the wooden insert over the hole adapts it for my current small shredder (was cheaper to buy at the time.)

The wooden insert is properly sized to hold the shredder rim securely and to engage the safety stop switch on the bottom rim of the shredder. A piece of heavy copper wire attaches to the rim of the wooden insert and is positioned to replace the plastic safety engagement pin molded onto the original shredder waste basket.

A cut up gallon plastic milk jug stapled under the shelf helps to corral the chips and direct them into the trash barrel.

I'm on my third shredder using this method and it only requires modifying/replacing the wooden insert, or repositioning the heavy copper wire safety switch defeat when I change shredders.

Picture shows shredder processing a mailed restaurant menu to remove my name/address information.

The box on the distant garage door is under a mail slot. It has since been replace by a wire kitchen basket and is mounted to hang and properly pivot down when the garage door opens---to keep mail from spilling.

I'm much happier with this setup than with a shredder in the house.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

dratkinson wrote:I use to hate emptying my shredder as it always seemed to fill too quickly, and to spill and make a mess in the house. So I moved it out of the house.

All this for junk mail for the most part. I don't have mine ouside but that may make the most sense. I get the mail, rip off my address on the junk mail then toss in the recycle bucket, go into the hosue then shread and go thru the rest of it. Need to cut down on the junk mail......
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein
mediahound

Post by mediahound »

Jay69 wrote:Need to cut down on the junk mail......

Check out the Paper Karma app to cut down on junk mail:

https://www.paperkarma.com

You take a picture of it and they request you be removed off the list.
KarlJ

Post by KarlJ »

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

KarlJ wrote:How to oil a paper shredder:
http://www.factory-express.com/blog/200 ... edder.html
Not all shredders require oiling. The instructions for my little Fellowes Shredmate specifically says "Do not oil."

I'm on my second little shredder exactly like this (think first had a different name). The first died from me overworking it (3-4 years). Think I also forgot the instructions and oiled it to "help" it shred more.

The second has lasted >10 years and I read the instructions carefully, the second time. The icons on the shredder top repeat the important operations points. An oil can symbol with the universal "Do Not" symbol over it, is one of the icons.

Now when I have a lot to shred, I just stack it all on the garage shelf and shred a little (2-4 minutes) at a time while processing the daily junk mail. Doesn't take long to get through a pile of household stuff.

Bottom line. I've learned that with a few modifications a cheap little shredder (~$19 at Walmart, at the time) can be convenient to use (always ready, never requires emptying), do a lot of work, and last a long time... if I follow the instructions. :oops:
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

runnergirl wrote:The last paper shredder I had broke within a couple of uses. Any recommendations for a durable cross-cut shredder? I don't care if it takes too many sheets. Just home use.
I'm happy with my Fellowes Shredmate. It's small, cheap and seems to last a long time if not abused (paper clips: no; staples: yes; credit cards: yes). The new model has a larger 1 gallon waste basket (mine had a ~1 quart waste basket). Should be about the right size to accept a supermarket plastic bag in the waste basket to make it easier to empty---just throw full bag and contents away.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fellowes-Shre ... r/17480037

And Walmart has an easy return policy if you have an immediate problem with it.

Sorry, OP. Talk about getting sidetracked.
Last edited by dratkinson on Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerseyBoy

Post by JerseyBoy »

You may want to investigate whether your town/county holds paper shredding events throughout the year at which time you can bring several boxes of documents to be shredded securely. Then, all you really need to do is to set aside a box or crate to hold all of the confidential paper you want to shred until the shredding event occurs. Much cheaper (normally, free!) and avoids the tedious job of feeding the shredder yourself. Good Luck!