Recommend a printer?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
Topic Author
dmcmahon
Posts: 2081
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:29 pm

Recommend a printer?

Post by dmcmahon » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:22 am

My inkjet printer has seemingly failed after less than a year of use. The black color will not print. Replaced the cartridge at some expense despite the suspicion that this wouldn't fix the problem, which it did not. So now I'm junking yet another printer. It's cheap but the utter waste of plastic and metal offends me.

I rarely use the printer, but when I need it, I need it bad. Like, for printing my taxes. So now I need to replace it and I don't want yet another piece of junk I'll be discarding in a year. Any recommendations? I'm paranoid enough to not want to bring my tax returns and other sensitive documents to some third party just for printing.
Last edited by dmcmahon on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Average Investor
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:27 am

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by Average Investor » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:47 am

I like Brother brand B&W lasers and have used them for years in my business. Performance is great and third party consumables are cheap. If you shop around you can get them on sale (I picked up 2 last Fall for $70 each). Check out the Brother HL-2270DW model for starters.
Tomorrow never knows.

DSInvestor
Posts: 11068
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:42 am

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by DSInvestor » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:54 am

We really like our Brother HL-5250DN black and white laser printer. It can be plugged directly to PC via USB or to a network using ethernet cable. We use the ethernet connection which allows all our PCs, laptops, iPads, iPhones to print to this printer. This model supports duplex printing (prints on both sides of the paper). Laser printer cartridges last a really long time. We use our printer daily and the cartridge was installed over a year ago. Highly recommended.

The HL-5250DN is several years old. The current model is HL-5450DN and sells for around $199. The HL5450DN printer is Airprint compatible so you'd be able to print to it from iPod, iPhone or iPad. Std toner cartridge TN-720 (3000 pages) is $76. High yield cartridge TN-750 (8000 pages) is $125. Third party cartridges are cheaper.

Here's a link to a Brother page showing monochrome laser printers:
http://www.brother-usa.com/Printer/BW_M ... _Printers/
Last edited by DSInvestor on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki

Bungo
Posts: 912
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:28 am

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by Bungo » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:57 am

I also have a Brother laser printer, the HL-2170W. I've had it for about 3-4 years and it has been trouble free. It was quite cheap - I think about $100. I figured it would be cheap junk but it's actually a nice little printer, much better than the 2003-vintage HP that it replaced. It gets a decent amount of use, but I've only had to replace the toner cartridge once, at $46. It has built-in wireless (I assume most printers do these days), so it's easy to print to it from any computer in the house. Highly recommended.

User avatar
JamesSFO
Posts: 3233
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:16 pm

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by JamesSFO » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:48 am

I have a brother laser printer (~$200) HL-5370DW and an inkjet all-in-one (~$200) Canon Pixma MX890. Love them both and use them for distinct reasons for my business.

Laser - bigger print jobs, b&w, fast
Inkjet - color, scanning, small <2 page prints

Inkjet is completely wireless for all functions and both are Mac/PC friendly. With the Canon doing scans wirelessly to Mac OS 10.8 using the built in "Image Capture" application.

User avatar
soaring
Posts: 1440
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:09 am
Location: North Central Florida

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by soaring » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:19 am

I would recommend laser. Much less issues, IMO, than inkjet cartridges and the cost of powder is much less and last many years without drying out like inkjet cartridges.

For many years get my laser cartridges from link below where I've found the best prices and service.

http://www.4inkjets.com
Desiderata

User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 7036
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by bertilak » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:50 am

I also have a Brother MFC (Multi Function Center) inkjet -- FAX, scan, print, copy. I haven't had it long enough to comment on its reliability, but it is very nice.

I bought this because I really needed a FAX machine and DW has been bugging me for a color printer for a long time. Lately I have been needing to fax a lot and got tired of 25 mile round trips into town. I asked everyone what brand FAX machine they used and they all said Brother. This gives me high expectations for reliability. It also does a fine job of color printing photos.

Any file you can print on your PC can be "printed" as an outgoing FAX. I have found that handy. Also, incoming FAXes can be sent to your PC as image files in several formats. This is nice since you can keep the image files for future reference and can print them off multiple times. I have already used that on forms I received that need to be filled out -- make a mistake and start over with a fresh copy!

Note on color printing: If you want to print photograph quality you need an inkjet (or possibly some other hugely expensive technology). I have been warned that laser color is OK for "business" color but not for photo quality. Upon investigation I found that the manufacturers do make that business/photo distinction and all color laser printers claimed "business color" -- usually trying to make that sound like a plus! (I guess the speed is a plus.)

Inkjet is slow compared to laser. I still have my ancient B&W HP Laser as my default printer. I think that will last forever! I have had it since about year 2000.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

chw
Posts: 743
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 4:22 pm

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by chw » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:52 am

Epson workforce 545 4 in 1 printer. Switched to this wireless printer last year for home use (got rid of 3 oldies at the time). Very easy to set up on all 5 computers in our house including my ipad.

User avatar
mike143
Posts: 1332
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by mike143 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:55 am

If you don't need color get a toner based printer. Check the cost of OEM replacement toner cartridges and availability and price of reliable aftermarket toner cartridges. We ended up with a Canon all-in-on for about $100, it was one of the only few that came with a full cartridge, many come with half or less full "starter" cartridges. I haven't had to replace the original cartridge in over 3 years. Also want to consider a network model, wired and/or wireless. I have ASUS WL-520gU wireless router that allows you to make any USB printer available on your network.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.

User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 7036
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by bertilak » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:04 am

mike143 wrote:If you don't need color get a toner based printer. Check the cost of OEM replacement toner cartridges and availability and price of reliable aftermarket toner cartridges. We ended up with a Canon all-in-on for about $100, it was one of the only few that came with a full cartridge, many come with half or less full "starter" cartridges. I haven't had to replace the original cartridge in over 3 years.
When I got my HP laser sometime arount 2000 they hadn't yet come up with the idea of starter cartridges. That first one lasted about 5 years. Now on my third.

HINT: If you think your toner cartridge needs replacing, take it out, shake it about gently and put it back. See if it doesn't last another year or so.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

Trev H
Posts: 1878
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:47 pm

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by Trev H » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:08 am

I work at a home office and my 3 year old ink-jet multi function printer died over the Christmas holiday...

My company provides my printers and they sent me a new one - that they have tried at several locations this year and they were getting good reports from.

It is a Brother HL2280DW (link below to it on officemax - 13 reviews, 4.5 stars).

http://www.officemax.com/technology/pri ... 3&ssp=true

You can install it USB to your worksation... and it also has wireless interface too.

It prints nice, and quick, and the copier/scanner functions work great.

I have only had it a couple of weeks so far but --- so far I like it a lot !

Trev H

Grasshopper
Posts: 1017
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:52 pm

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by Grasshopper » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:41 am

Average Investor wrote:I like Brother brand B&W lasers and have used them for years in my business. Performance is great and third party consumables are cheap. If you shop around you can get them on sale (I picked up 2 last Fall for $70 each). Check out the Brother HL-2270DW model for starters.
I use this model and the HL-2270 DW has worked flawlessly, and under $100.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 22965
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by dm200 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:49 am

I much prefer lasers to inkjets - especially if B&W is ok. I think that one issue with inkjets is that the liquid ink tends to mess up if not used for a while, and that is not so much a problem with the lasers.

Ryan_in_Chi
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:45 pm

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by Ryan_in_Chi » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:01 pm

We have a Canon PIXMA MX870 Wireless Office All-in-One Printer, and I CANNOT recommend it for someone who prints once in a long while. They are highly rated on Amazon and I really like the features. BUT, we've replaced the cartridges several times, never use it and it is still always out of ink. From what I can figure out, after it hasn't been used in a while it has to run the self-cleaning and the self-cleaning uses a LOT of ink. I keep meaning to find a cheap B&W laser printer, because I can't afford the ink cartridges for this thing. Maybe newer Canon printers don't have this problem, I don't know.

User avatar
Topic Author
dmcmahon
Posts: 2081
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:29 pm

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by dmcmahon » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:51 pm

Thanks for all the responses. I'd been wondering about going with a laser due to my sporadic usage, and the discussion seems to confirm that idea. I confess I do like the color output of the ink jet, even for tax forms where there are just a few colored areas, but I guess this isn't really all that critical. I'll check out Brother - I've been using HP inkjets for so long now I really hadn't looked beyond that brand. My previous HP inkjet outlasted 3 computers. This one's less than a year old and it's going to be cheaper to replace it than to try and fix it. It's also incredibly annoying that every model seems to need a different type of cartridge, so when a printer gets junked the expensive cartridges go with it...

texasdiver
Posts: 3280
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:50 am
Location: Vancouver WA

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by texasdiver » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:05 pm

I have access to fast laser printers at work and so does my wife so my printing needs at home are pretty minimal....perhaps 10 page/month, things like electronic boarding passes, recipes, etc. I also like being able to fax and make photo copies at home. In fact, I probably make as many photo copies as I do prints.

When our old HP died recently I looked around and ended up buying the Epson WF-2540: http://www.amazon.com/Epson-WorkForce-S ... B0091UBCAW

Yes a laser is MUCH superior if you have any kind of print volume. If I was working out of a home office and printing larger volumes I'd definitely get a Brother Laser Printer. But if you print maybe 100 pages/year like I do and like the copy/fax feature this is pretty nice. One exceptionally nice feature is that it is WiFi so if you have a home WiFi network it will show up on all your devices. Without doing any additional installation or software installs this printer magically showed up as the printer on all of our iPhones, iPads, and computers in the house that are connected to Wifi so I can print anything from any device effortlessly.

I'm sure when I go to buy Epson print cartridges they will cost $$$ but I just don't do enough printing and copying at home to really worry about it. What will kill you is if you get photo paper and starting printing photos off of an inkjet. Much cheaper and better to just use one of the online photo sites like Walgreens or Costco and have your prints done on professional printers for less than the ink costs on an inkjet.

User avatar
JMacDonald
Posts: 2278
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:53 pm

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by JMacDonald » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:09 pm

I have a Brother HL 2040 that I bought years ago, and it still works fine. I replaced the cartridge this past year.
It outlasted my PC to a Mac. Great printer IMHO.
Best Wishes, | Joe

User avatar
tfb
Posts: 8195
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by tfb » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:31 pm

Brother or Samsung small B&W laser printer. Many models under $75. When the startup toner runs out, buy refill toner (powder) on eBay and fill it.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

MathWizard
Posts: 3729
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by MathWizard » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:42 pm

I like HP, they just work.

HP LaserJet P2035 for a B&W laser.

I have two color all-in-one inkjets at home, a wireless network one and am older USB connected
one in my basement office that I don't use very often. The wireless one is upstairs out of the way
in the guestroom and is so much more convenient that most of the printing is done there unless
we have houseguests. I use the one in the basement as a copier so the ink cartridge get a little use.

Bungo
Posts: 912
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:28 am

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by Bungo » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:42 pm

bertilak wrote: HINT: If you think your toner cartridge needs replacing, take it out, shake it about gently and put it back. See if it doesn't last another year or so.
Another tip regarding toner cartridges, at least the ones for Brother printers: they have a small window at each end, and the printer shines a light through these windows to detect whether the toner is low. If it can see the light at the other end, that means there isn't enough toner to block it. This can happen even if there is still plenty of toner in the cartridge. Such false alarms are annoying because the printer generates warnings and may refuse to print if it thinks the toner is too low. There's an easy fix for this: put black electrical tape over at least one of the windows, to block the light from getting through. See here for more details:

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/laser/39806

peppers
Posts: 1395
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by peppers » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:08 pm

HP Deskjet 3520. Wireless. New toy in the house.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."

zotty
Posts: 841
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: DFW, Texas

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by zotty » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:29 pm

I recommend cheap brother Laser printers for low cost, low maintenance, B&W printer. I gave up on Ink jet 4 years ago and have been very happy. i own 3 of them. just bought one for my mother in law for 79 bucks. USB is the downside, but you can get a network hub for it.
Nadie Sabe Nada

rjbraun
Posts: 1487
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by rjbraun » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:34 pm

Ryan_in_Chi wrote:We have a Canon PIXMA MX870 Wireless Office All-in-One Printer, and I CANNOT recommend it for someone who prints once in a long while. They are highly rated on Amazon and I really like the features. BUT, we've replaced the cartridges several times, never use it and it is still always out of ink. From what I can figure out, after it hasn't been used in a while it has to run the self-cleaning and the self-cleaning uses a LOT of ink. I keep meaning to find a cheap B&W laser printer, because I can't afford the ink cartridges for this thing. Maybe newer Canon printers don't have this problem, I don't know.
I have the same Canon printer. So far, this printer has served me better than all the other printers I've had (Dell, HP and maybe one other). I too have found that the printer goes through a lot of ink, a definite downside. One thing that has been helpful, however, is to set the printer for "grayscale" printing. My understanding is that this only uses the black ink, no color whatsoever. Apparently, when you print something that appears to be only black (no color) the printer will still use the color cartridges to get a deeper black. This applies to something you may print off the web, not sure if it's the case when you have an original B&W document. Anyway, that's the way Canon explained it to me and by using the grayscale setting it has definitely resulted in less color ink usage. Hope this may help.

User avatar
Topic Author
dmcmahon
Posts: 2081
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:29 pm

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by dmcmahon » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:51 pm

Willing to replace the printer, I had nothing left to lose, so I went in and cleaned the ink cartridge assembly as best I could with alcohol. The task would have been far easier if it had been designed for removal, or if it was at least possible to access the underside of it. Whoever designs these things probably doesn't give a rat's tucas for maintenance. Anyway, after letting it dry out, it's now working fine. I'll have to remember to use it more. Since I started using a smart phone map app, I've not had the need to print out directions and such, something that in past years pretty much assured my old printer of a few pages a month.

This isn't about the money. I hate waste - really deep down hate it. Every time I toss something out that didn't seem to run for a reasonably useful lifespan, some part of me thinks about the resources that went into making it, and a little voice takes me to task for squandering resources future generations might need. So, I'm happy the printer's working again. Someday when it's time to replace it, I'll give the Brother lasers a look. Thanks to everyone for your responses!

scrabbler1
Posts: 2440
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:39 pm

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by scrabbler1 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:22 pm

After years of aggravation in dealing with an inkjet, I bought a laserjet back in 2010. It is HP Laserjet P1102w. I bought it on sale for $99 but these days you are lucky if you can find it for under $160. It is great. The toner cartridge is a little pricey, as I replaced mine last August for $75 but that is because many pages I print are very "busy - that is, they contain gridlines and shading. I did get a month or two extra from it by taking it out and shaking it around several times.

The speed and convenience from a laser is well worth its added cost. No worries about the toner powder drying up the way the ink does in a inkjet. Pages print quickly which is nice. And you aren't running to the store to get the inkjet cartridges replaced or refilled every 6-9 months.

grok87
Posts: 8920
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by grok87 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:23 pm

dmcmahon wrote:My inkjet printer has seemingly failed after less than a year of use. The black color will not print. Replaced the cartridge at some expense despite the suspicion that this wouldn't fix the problem, which it did not. So now I'm junking yet another printer. It's cheap but the utter waste of plastic and metal offends me.

I rarely use the printer, but when I need it, I need it bad. Like, for printing my taxes. So now I need to replace it and I don't want yet another piece of junk I'll be discarding in a year. Any recommendations? I'm paranoid enough to not want to bring my tax returns and other sensitive documents to some third party just for printing.
same thing just happened to me. you obviously have an HP photosmart printer. I just bought a new canon pixma printer. I googled HP photosmart and this problem is standard. Sounds suspiciously like planned failure on HPs part. I will never buy an HP product again. I've had good luck with canon's- fingers crossed.

good luck
cheers,
RIP Mr. Bogle.

umfundi
Posts: 3361
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:26 pm

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by umfundi » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:33 pm

Go for a Brother. I have a 2270DW B&W laser.

Be sure to get a duplex printer that prints both sides of the paper.

It replaced a previous Brother Color Laser, but the 10c per page cost really ground at me. And, it uses the color inks even if you are printing B&W. If I need color, I go down to the local library where they have HP lasers at 10c a page after 5 free pages per day.

You won't miss the color. You also won't miss the hassle of inkjets.

As soon as you buy it, order a toner cartridge at newegg.com. The partially full cartridge that comes with the printer will not last long.

Keith
Déjà Vu is not a prediction

User avatar
Toons
Posts: 13427
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Hills of Tennessee

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by Toons » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:57 pm

I print infrequently(cartridges have "dried out" on me in the past) but when I do,I use this Canon printer in link
below,superb all in one,wireless feature very nice :happy

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Canon-PIXMA-M ... r/20592880
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

User avatar
ejvyas
Posts: 725
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:09 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by ejvyas » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:28 pm

Bought HP Photosmart 7520 @ 140. Its a big one but I wanted good quality, wireless, scan, photo

User avatar
Watty
Posts: 18142
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by Watty » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:49 pm

grok87 wrote:
dmcmahon wrote:My inkjet printer has seemingly failed after less than a year of use. The black color will not print. Replaced the cartridge at some expense despite the suspicion that this wouldn't fix the problem, which it did not. So now I'm junking yet another printer. It's cheap but the utter waste of plastic and metal offends me.

I rarely use the printer, but when I need it, I need it bad. Like, for printing my taxes. So now I need to replace it and I don't want yet another piece of junk I'll be discarding in a year. Any recommendations? I'm paranoid enough to not want to bring my tax returns and other sensitive documents to some third party just for printing.
same thing just happened to me. you obviously have an HP photosmart printer. I just bought a new canon pixma printer. I googled HP photosmart and this problem is standard. Sounds suspiciously like planned failure on HPs part. I will never buy an HP product again. I've had good luck with canon's- fingers crossed.

good luck
cheers,

The last time I was shopping for a printer I found out that on some models of HP ink carterages they have a date built into the electronics of the carterage and it will not work after a certain date even though it may may still be fine. I also will not buy HP.

umfundi
Posts: 3361
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:26 pm

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by umfundi » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:04 am

Watty wrote: The last time I was shopping for a printer I found out that on some models of HP ink carterages they have a date built into the electronics of the carterage and it will not work after a certain date even though it may may still be fine. I also will not buy HP.
Correct. HP cartridges used to have (may still have) an electronic expiry date when they are disabled.

HP was also the pioneer in providing partially filled ink cartridges with new printers with no disclosure.

Since I have not bought an HP printer product in the last eight years, and never will again, I have no idea what their current screw the customer tactics are.

Keith
Déjà Vu is not a prediction

rjbraun
Posts: 1487
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by rjbraun » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:39 am

umfundi wrote:
Watty wrote: The last time I was shopping for a printer I found out that on some models of HP ink carterages they have a date built into the electronics of the carterage and it will not work after a certain date even though it may may still be fine. I also will not buy HP.
Correct. HP cartridges used to have (may still have) an electronic expiry date when they are disabled.

HP was also the pioneer in providing partially filled ink cartridges with new printers with no disclosure.Keith
This is outrageous. What explanation did HP give? Is it possible they tried to claim that after a certain date maybe the ink would be dried out and could mess up the printer? If they were providing partially-filled ink cartridges on new printers that sure sounds like bad business judgment; it doesn't seem wise to antagonize customers who just bought your product!

Bungo
Posts: 912
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:28 am

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by Bungo » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:09 pm

rjbraun wrote:
umfundi wrote:
Watty wrote: The last time I was shopping for a printer I found out that on some models of HP ink carterages they have a date built into the electronics of the carterage and it will not work after a certain date even though it may may still be fine. I also will not buy HP.
Correct. HP cartridges used to have (may still have) an electronic expiry date when they are disabled.

HP was also the pioneer in providing partially filled ink cartridges with new printers with no disclosure.Keith
This is outrageous. What explanation did HP give? Is it possible they tried to claim that after a certain date maybe the ink would be dried out and could mess up the printer?
That is what they claim. See here for details:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... c=en&lc=en
If they were providing partially-filled ink cartridges on new printers that sure sounds like bad business judgment; it doesn't seem wise to antagonize customers who just bought your product!
It is annoying, but it's not unique to HP. My Brother laser printer also came with a "starter cartridge" which was only partially full. It isn't really surprising that printer manufacturers do everything in their power to make you buy cartridges more often; that's where they make their profits. At the prices the printers themselves sell for, they must be selling them at not much more than cost.

umfundi
Posts: 3361
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:26 pm

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by umfundi » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:25 pm

rjbraun wrote:This is outrageous. What explanation did HP give? Is it possible they tried to claim that after a certain date maybe the ink would be dried out and could mess up the printer? If they were providing partially-filled ink cartridges on new printers that sure sounds like bad business judgment; it doesn't seem wise to antagonize customers who just bought your product!
I don't remember the details, but you can read the explanation for yourself:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... c=en&lc=en
I am sure that people refilling cartridges and not buying new ones has nothing to do with it. :twisted:

If you Google
hp partly filled ink cartridges
you will find a rats nest of stuff about partly filled cartridges, claims that the cartridges that come with a new printer are somehow "special", and cartridges and printers that only work in the global region where they were sold.

Some years ago I went to buy a printer, and the cashier recommended I buy cartridges because those in the box with the new printer were only partly filled. News to me. So, I cancelled the sale and made a research project out of it.

My printing cost per page was surprisingly high. Since it was cheaper to buy a new printer than to buy ink cartridges, I had four semi-functional inkjets plus an ancient Epson b&w laser. I ditched them all for a Brother color laser. It had 3 color cartridges plus a black one. The default setting is that it uses some color even when printing b&w. I only discovered that when researching for replacement cartridges. By the time I went through two sets of cartridges, the print quality was getting pretty poor. Then, there is a laundry list of parts they recommend you change with each set of cartridges: The belts, the drum, the excess toner reservoir, etc. These parts cost 50% more than a new printer.

That was cause for another research project, since I hardly ever printed in color. I now have a b&w Brother HL-2270DW laser that prints duplex (both sides). I love it. If I need color prints (which is almost never) I can do them at the library for 10 cents a page, much lower than I could achieve at home. Yes, it did come with a "starter" cartridge, but that is clearly explained on the outside of the box.

All the old printers went to people who wanted them, though our local FreeCycle bulletin board. Post a message, gone in a few hours.

Keith
Déjà Vu is not a prediction

User avatar
telemark
Posts: 2575
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:35 am

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by telemark » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:56 pm

I just bought a Brother HL-2270DW (to replace an old inkjet printer that was refusing to print black-and-white because it was out of yellow ink) and now I have a confession to make. I've been printing stuff I don't need to print, just so I can watch the duplexer grab the paper, pull it back in, and then spit it out again.

Does this mean I lose my Boglehead license?

User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 7036
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by bertilak » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:08 pm

telemark wrote:I just bought a Brother HL-2270DW (to replace an old inkjet printer that was refusing to print black-and-white because it was out of yellow ink) and now I have a confession to make. I've been printing stuff I don't need to print, just so I can watch the duplexer grab the paper, pull it back in, and then spit it out again.

Does this mean I lose my Boglehead license?
Nah. It's temporary. Had the same affliction for a few days. It passed.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

umfundi
Posts: 3361
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:26 pm

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by umfundi » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:21 pm

telemark wrote:I just bought a Brother HL-2270DW.

Does this mean I lose my Boglehead license?
No, but to renew said license you have to order the high capacity cartridge from Newegg. You also have to set it up so 2-sided printing is the default, as is toner saver mode.

Keith
Déjà Vu is not a prediction

User avatar
Jay69
Posts: 1801
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:42 pm

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by Jay69 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:36 pm

We picked up a new Brother HL-6180dw last week for our office, I had a thread here last week about it, We got it for $170 shipped last week, I see its up to $300 today.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6828113778

This is just a printer, no scanner, fax etc.

I installed it yesterday and I will say this things prints nice and fast and the tonner is cheap on Fleabay. So far so good!
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein

User avatar
Hat
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:27 pm

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by Hat » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:29 pm

I also like Brother printers. They are a great value, perform well, and the cost of toner is low compared to other brands.

rokidtoo
Posts: 391
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:53 am

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by rokidtoo » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:33 pm

I've had good luck with Canon Inkjet printers. I currently have a Pixma 882 all-in-one (scan, fax, print, copy). I get my compatible, non-Canon ink online for $5-7 per cartridge.

User avatar
Toons
Posts: 13427
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Hills of Tennessee

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by Toons » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:35 pm

rokidtoo wrote:I've had good luck with Canon Inkjet printers. I currently have a Pixma 882 all-in-one (scan, fax, print, copy). I get my compatible, non-Canon ink online for $5-7 per cartridge.

What site is that? :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 7036
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by bertilak » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:52 pm

Toons wrote:
rokidtoo wrote:I've had good luck with Canon Inkjet printers. I currently have a Pixma 882 all-in-one (scan, fax, print, copy). I get my compatible, non-Canon ink online for $5-7 per cartridge.

What site is that? :happy
I got these from Amazon. I don't have enough experience with them to make a recommendation but they get good reviews. I'm guessing they have versions for most Brother printers since many printers use the same cartridges. I have used the black to replace the starter cartridge but not the CYM cartridges yet. The black seems to work as well as the original.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

rokidtoo
Posts: 391
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:53 am

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by rokidtoo » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:21 pm

Toons wrote:
rokidtoo wrote:I've had good luck with Canon Inkjet printers. I currently have a Pixma 882 all-in-one (scan, fax, print, copy). I get my compatible, non-Canon ink online for $5-7 per cartridge.

What site is that? :happy
Typically, I use 123 inkjets.com. I've used them for Epson and Canon printers with success.-----Jim

davebarnes
Posts: 542
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:06 pm
Location: Berkeley, Denver, Colorado USA

Brother

Post by davebarnes » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:45 pm

I have a Brother 4070CDW
Laser, color, duplex, wireless
since August 2007
has worked quite well
sucks for printing photos, so I don't
A nerd living in Denver

The Wizard
Posts: 13356
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:45 pm
Location: Reading, MA

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by The Wizard » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:50 pm

After reading this thread, I ordered a Brother 5470DW (B&W, duplex) which arrived earlier this week.
So far, so good, via USB. I should set up wireless printing with it as well, but no rush...
Attempted new signature...

User avatar
Munir
Posts: 2568
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:39 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by Munir » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:02 pm

bertilak wrote:
Toons wrote:
rokidtoo wrote:I've had good luck with Canon Inkjet printers. I currently have a Pixma 882 all-in-one (scan, fax, print, copy). I get my compatible, non-Canon ink online for $5-7 per cartridge.

What site is that? :happy
I got these from Amazon. I don't have enough experience with them to make a recommendation but they get good reviews. I'm guessing they have versions for most Brother printers since many printers use the same cartridges. I have used the black to replace the starter cartridge but not the CYM cartridges yet. The black seems to work as well as the original.
bertilak,
In an earlier post on this thread you said:" I also have a Brother MFC (Multi Function Center) inkjet".
What model is that?

umfundi
Posts: 3361
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:26 pm

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by umfundi » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:14 pm

I have my Brother printer plugged into the network.

I get my toner at www.newegg.com.

I downgraded to a duplex B&W after I calculated what color printing costs. I can do color at our local library far cheaper than it was costing me.

If you have a color Brother laser, go through the print settings to make sure that B&W is monochrome. Otherwise, it will just eat up color toner while printing black.

Keith
Déjà Vu is not a prediction

The Wizard
Posts: 13356
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:45 pm
Location: Reading, MA

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by The Wizard » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:30 pm

Color is FRIVOLOUS for many hardcopy uses, yes...
Attempted new signature...

User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 7036
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by bertilak » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:49 pm

Munir wrote:bertilak,
In an earlier post on this thread you said:" I also have a Brother MFC (Multi Function Center) inkjet".
What model is that?
I got this one from Costco. I got the $50 rebate in December so if the particular sale currently shown at that web page ends (supposedly ending tomorrow) I'm pretty sure it will come up again.

If I were to do it all over again I would save some money by getting a smaller model that only handles letter/legal/A4/etc. paper sizes. This 11x17 model might come in handy some day but probably not and it does take up a bit of space.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

User avatar
Munir
Posts: 2568
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:39 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Recommend a printer?

Post by Munir » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:27 pm

bertilak wrote:
Munir wrote:bertilak,
In an earlier post on this thread you said:" I also have a Brother MFC (Multi Function Center) inkjet".
What model is that?
I got this one from Costco. I got the $50 rebate in December so if the particular sale currently shown at that web page ends (supposedly ending tomorrow) I'm pretty sure it will come up again.

If I were to do it all over again I would save some money by getting a smaller model that only handles letter/legal/A4/etc. paper sizes. This 11x17 model might come in handy some day but probably not and it does take up a bit of space.
Thank you for the response.

Post Reply