At what age did your health start to limit your hobbies?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

At what age did your health start to limit your ability to participate in your hobbies?

age 39 or less
12%
age 40-49
13%
age 50-59
16%
age 60-69
16%
age 70-79
5%
age 80-89
1%
age 90+
1%
never, hasn't happened yet
37%

Total votes: 188

sscritic

Re: At what age did your health start to limit your hobbies?

Post by sscritic » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:01 am

joe135 wrote:I am in a very similar position. My goal is 52-54.

My knee and back is not what it used to be. Have stopped running.
Huh? What goal? You just admitted you stopped running because of your knee and back (at least you put the two next to each other, as if there was a relationship between the two). So how old were you when you stopped running for health reasons? That was the question as I read it.
At what age did your health start to limit your hobbies?

buckstar

Post by buckstar » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:22 am

I'd say 40 was a big turning point for me. I quit playing basketball regularly at 35, mainly because that's when we had our second kid. Two years ago (at age 40) when I tried to start playing sports regularly again, I noticed that my body just doesn't recover like it used to. Now I'm limited to tennis and once a week soccer. I tried playing touch football again on Thanksgiving day and hurt for 2 weeks!

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:28 am

At age 39, like you I was very active, but already somewhat on the downhill. Now 55. But at age 40 still managed a 3:39 marathon and well into my 40s still did 20+ mile day hikes and weekend backpacking trips. I have slowed down, but still rock and ice climb decently enough, still do some serious hiking, but think my 20+ milers are behind me, go skiing, etc. I can outpace my 25 year old daughter who works out at the gym regularly (note: while I too work out at the gym it really is no substitute of real activities, only moderate crossover).

I think over all I peaked at about age 28.

But as my ever kind wife says, "You just had more time to train then." True to a point. Work and family and volunteer activities may limit me more than age. But age plays a part. For one thing recovery is much slower, so multiple hard days in a row is much harder to sustain.

But really the gradual slowing with age is not the most important issue. That is easy to deal with, simply because it is gradual. The issue is catastrophic failure. You blow out a shoulder or a knee and it never really works well again. You get arthritis. You get MS. Etc. This can be very unpredictable and brings things to a grinding halt. I see this among my peers more and more as I get older. Sure, I may continue into my 70's. I was taking by dad on great hikes in the Rockies and slot canyons well into his 70's. But my mom was in a wheel chair suddenly at about my age. You just never know.

But it does not have to be all or nothing as far as working vs time for hobbies. I think a good way to go is to find a way to have a good work life balance, rather than trying to retire early.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:36 am

Rodc wrote:But really the gradual slowing with age is not the most important issue. That is easy to deal with, simply because it is gradual. The issue is catastrophic failure. You blow out a shoulder or a knee and it never really works well again.
I know people for whom an accidental fall triggered the overall downfall. A question to all:
Do you notice a decline in your balance, and if yes, what do you do to maintain or improve it?

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

TRC

Post by TRC » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:40 am

Not sure what your health problems are, but have you tried Yoga? I've found that doing it 1x per week has elminated all back pain for me. I stopped doing it this past summer for 2 months and every morning I woke up, I felt like an old man with a really sore and tight back.

This video is is pretty inspirational: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:45 am

As a reminder, discussions of medical issues are off-topic.
Medical Issues

Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I'd like to suggest you start with the Top 100 List: Health Websites You Can Trust maintained by the Consumer and Patient Health Information section of the Medical Library Association.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:58 am

One thing to add: I have not found the slow decay to be hard to take. When young I always wanted to run faster and faster, or climb harder and harder, etc. Now that I am older I find being slower and weaker is just fine. I’m excited just to be out doing something, enjoying the view or the company. It does not matter at all that I’ve “only” hiked 10 miles instead of 20 (and likely stopped early enough to get a nice meal and a beer on the way home).
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:10 am

In my current position it would be hard to cut back, but i may ask to do so in the next few years rather than waiting 10-15. 43 is the new 53.

Thank you all for the input, and the reality checks.

wastenot

Post by wastenot » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:33 pm

I enjoy sports but have never been especially athletic. In my 40s I took up sea kayaking and paddled frequently, including several wonderful weeklong kayaking trips along the Maine coast. At the age of 59, after giving up paddling for several years, I again went to Maine to go kayaking, preceded by an exercise program. But on the first day in Maine I blew out my left shoulder (due, I think, to moving the heavily loaded kayak up and down the beach.) Trip over.

I still enjoy walking and hiking, although my speed and endurance have dropped over time. But the main thing is that I still enjoy the exercise and visiting the great outdoors. In 2011 I hiked the Kalalau Trail on the island of Kauai, Hawaii. It was a fabulous but grueling trip. I walked slowly and took frequent rest breaks. A "twenty-something" passed me on the trail and remarked, "You're hiking kind of slow, aren't you?" I answered: "If you come back here in 40 years and hike this trail at the age of 60, as I am doing now, I bet you will be hiking kind of slow, too." 8-)

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:53 pm

I'm 39.

At about 30 I had gained 45 lbs, couldn't sleep well, was out of breath, etc.

I started running at about 32 and have been running 25 miles per week on average for the last 7 years. I've run three marathons where I was training up to 6 days per week and 60-70 miles per week.

I do 180 days of P90X per year.

At 37 I was probably in the best shape of my life since my first year of college when I was a collegiate swimmer.

The only problem I really have is plantar fasciitis in my feet.

Generally the point here is that MORE exercise done RIGHT has actually made me feel better, less achy, more active, etc. than cutting back.

Change up your routine. Look for some alternative activities and take care of your body. As a physician you should know!

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:52 am

At age 61 I developed a serious food intolerance which makes it impossible for me to indulge in my previous hobby of discovering new restaurants and eating in favorite ones. This is something that could have happened at any age, but it shows that limitations which accrue over time are not necessarily joint or bone-related and can affect activities other than athletic ones.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:34 am

I have always been very physically active and played sports as an adult: baseball, softball, basketball, soccer, tennis, golf and when I was really crazy, flag football. I gave up most of these in mid thirties due to family and work obligations. As you get older, there is usually less time to play. I did sustain a major knee injury in soccer at 35 and I had to give that up. After that, I stayed fit jogging and to lesser extent cycling. I also played golf about once a week.

In my early 60s I had to give up jogging due to my knee and back. I am still in good shape, I weigh the same as I did in high school. I retired at age 66 thinking I would play golf more than when I worked. However, at age 68, I seem to get these nagging little injuries, low back pain/groin pull/stiff shoulder which has prevented me from playing golf as much as when I worked. A lesson learned for others might be to retire sooner if you intend to do physically challenging activities in retirement. The mind may be willing but the body may not be able.

I feel blessed to have my health, but like most 68 year olds, I have some minor health issues. As my older sister likes to say, "Old age is not for sissies".

kingsnake

Post by kingsnake » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:38 am

A wise patient told me...the Golden years arent so golden.

scubadiver

Post by scubadiver » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:36 am

In my 30's now and haven't found age to really be a limiting factor yet.

Having kids on the other hand, now that really has cramped my style. Gave up skydiving when we decided that we wanted to start a family as that hobby is pretty much inconsistent with fatherhood. Wife and I bought ski's just before we found out she was pregnant with our first child five years ago. She has yet to use them though we are optimistic that next winter will be different. I still scubadive, though not as much and I haven't been in a cave since 2007.

On the bright side, my father-in-law who is currently in his 50's still skydives, scubadives and boxes, so there is hope for the future. :) Ironically, he claims that badminton is responsible for all of his sports related injuries.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:31 am

SurfCityBill wrote:At 30 I decided that the pleasure of over-indulging in libations was eclipsed by the pain of suffering thru a hangover. Hobby severely curtailed. :annoyed
I was reading through this thread thinking the very same thing. Especially, after the Cotton Bowl last night :happy

westie

Post by westie » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:21 pm

at 40, there are some activities you know while doing it are going to cause an ache or pain the next day

at 60, you wake up with an ache or pain and have to recall what activity caused it...

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:49 pm

at 60, you wake up with an ache or pain and have to recall what activity caused it...
And you may never know...

Mister Whale

Post by Mister Whale » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:59 pm

Bacchus01 wrote:Generally the point here is that MORE exercise done RIGHT has actually made me feel better, less achy, more active, etc. than cutting back.
+1

For me at age 43 (and always having been a reasonably fit and slender male), "more exercise done right" has meant careful form with my resistance training, reducing the weight but also doing a wider variety of exercises while still focusing on "major" exercises like squats, deadlifts, bench presses and clean/jerk. I'm back into running as well. Once I took the ego out of my training (not easy, and I'm not all the way there) and began approaching exercise strictly as a tool to increase my stamina, wellness and longevity (and not as a perpetual effort to lift more and run faster), my exercise regimen became better for me and my health improved as a result.

Diet, stretching and massage are all important facets of my regimen as well.

Since I have a 4-year-old I need to be able to stay active!
" ... advice is most useful and at its best, not when it is telling you what to do, but when it is illuminating aspects of the situation you hadn't thought about." --nisiprius

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:59 pm

Rodc wrote:
And you may never know...
Or it may be something totally unrelated to an activity, something related just to, um, aging. :(
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:47 pm

Stroke at age 49, end to most physical exercise/sports other than swimming. Enjoyed my occupation, retired at age 65, definitely slowing down the last 3 - 5 yrears.

I would say work as long as you enjoy what you are doing and need the money, taking whatever time off you can.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:32 pm

The problem is knowing whether you need more money. The younger you are the more uncertainty.

I like work. I love it sometimes. I just don't love so much of it.

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:04 pm

At 58, I ruptured two discs in my lower back, and at that point was forced to stop playing golf. :annoyed
At 66 I suffered a stroke, leaving a permanent weakness in my left leg, so hiking is no longer an option (due to possible falls). Now I walk 2 miles a day, but on level ground.
When the health issues rear their ugly heads, I try to find a different hobby to replace those I've lost.
I have decided to learn a few new card games, and watercolor painting.

travellight

Post by travellight » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:11 pm

I had not an ache or tweak through my thirties. I think I peaked physically at age 41. It has been a gradual decline since then with musculoskeletal minor issues in various places. I definitely should stretch more.

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:56 am

I like work. I love it sometimes. I just don't love so much of it.
I'm still a ways off from this decision, but the time will come soon enough, say age 60 in about 4 years:

A) keep working full time 5 more years to age 65 and be able to retire comfortably

Or

B) work half time for 10 more years until age 70

(or something along those lines)

There are many things I enjoy on a part time basis but would not want to do full time. In talking with friends older than I am, many find (like the quote above about skiing, can ski all day or ski bumps, but not ski bumps all day), that they can continue to work full time, but don't have the energy to work full time and do much else. Currently I work full time, have middle school kids to take care of, do volunteer work, hike and climb and otherwise work out a hour or so a day. At that is really at my limit. As energy continues its slow decline at some point I will have to start cutting back somewhere. Working longer, but fewer hours might be a good choice to keep doing what I like, just less of it.
When the health issues rear their ugly heads, I try to find a different hobby to replace those I've lost.
I think as long as people do this they will be happy. A new hobby is a new chance to learn something, to master something and I think that makes most people feel good about things. I used to do a lot more gardening and woodworking, then cycled back to the outdoors hobbies I did before that. When I have more trouble hiking and climbing I expect I'll return to gardening and woodworking again. Or photography which I used to do, or something entirely new. The final challenge many face is getting old old and having trouble picking something new.

travellight

Post by travellight » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:17 pm

It's funny and timely. I got an e-mail from my best friend this morning and this was in the content:
I think these middle years should be dedicated to those things we love. We are in the financial position to do what we want and we (i) don't yet have to be a caregiver for parents. I am aiming to retire in 3 years although I could retire now. Might as well use some of my salary to travel, etc. Any place you want to go with me?
It really dovetails with the key point in this post. I also think I should slow down a little and stop and smell the roses.

david99

Post by david99 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:05 pm

I'm in my fifties and I took up jogging last year and really enjoy it ---- so it's not all down hill as we get older.
Prior to jogging I was having pain in my knees while going up stairs but doing exercises with the leg extension machine and leg curl machine at the gym took care of the problem. I think that it's key to do strength training and stretching as we get older.

Sbashore

Post by Sbashore » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:56 pm

Hiking and mountain biking used to be my passions. Now at age 64 I still hike, just not as extreme as I used to (Grand Canyon day hikes to the river). I still bike, but don't mountain bike.
Steve | Semper Fi

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:28 pm

My 87 year old mother who lurks here says you guys are too young to know. Just wait.

:)

BertB

Post by BertB » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:10 pm

Aside from a few minor joint injuries, I did not feel the weight of increasing age until my mid to late 50's. Hand arthritis hit me about then and I had to limit snow shoveling and small hand tool use. I re-learned how to use my hands over the next few years to remain pain free, aided by OTC meds.

Knee arthritis started at age 60. I was a light jogger (20 minutes/day) before that. Now I do non weight bearing exercise instead. I'm probably headed for swimming as a primary exercise.

I quit enthusiastic hobby-level drinking and drugging when I was in my late 30's before it outgrew me.

What I miss most is off-trail hiking and pain-free mornings.

Ged

Post by Ged » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:42 pm

I'm 63 now - there really isn't anything that I used to do that I can't now, except I can't do as much of it. For example carrying plywood panels in my shop - I used to be able to handle 4x8x3/4, now I stick to half panels. Running - when I was 40 I used to run 2 miles 4 times a week, now it's 1 mile 3 times a week.

SGM

Post by SGM » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:26 am

Where did I leave those wings I had on my feet? :oops: I still have bullets in my elbows though and some NCAA eligibility left.
.....Basketball Jones
"Let us endeavor, so to live, that when we die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

Texas hold em71

Post by Texas hold em71 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:06 am

A recent retiree I know had what I thought was a great idea. His hobby is travel. He outlined all the places he wished to see in retirement and started with those that were the most physically demanding to get to and to visit (long flights or lots of walking when he got there). He decided 12 hour flights in coach would be easier at 65 than at 70. Saving the shorter trips for later.

I think a retirement plan has a large non-financial element to it. You can pile up a lot of money, but you really need to have an idea of what you want to DO when you retire. Your question is a great one. What CAN you physically do?

Padlin

Post by Padlin » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:29 am

Somewhere in my 40's the knees started to have issues when hiking, mostly on the downhills. It also kicks up on longer bike rides so we're now limited to just a few miles hikes and 10-15 mile rides.
Regards | Bob

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:10 am

Texas hold em:

Last Saturday we won a Biscayne Bay sailing regatta with me as captain. I am 89 years old.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:34 pm

Are you single Taylor? My MIL just turned 89 last week, and she's looking for a handsome man with money. :wink:
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

A total failure

Post by Taylor Larimore » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:44 pm

cheese_breath wrote:Are you single Taylor? My MIL just turned 89 last week, and she's looking for a handsome man with money. :wink:
Sorry, I fail both requirements. :wink:

Best wishes
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Lon

Post by Lon » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:52 pm

I will be 79 next week and last year had to give up Pickleball due to unstable knees and legs (no pain), but still play decent golf (18 handicap) and Water Volleyball three times weekly.

4stripes

Post by 4stripes » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:01 am

OP, you said the keywords: running + 39 = bad knees, back, feet.

I'd abandon running as exercise of choice. It can simply be too much impact on older joints, and to me has a negative impact on strength into your later years. Muscle and bone strength is what you're fighting against into 40+, and the most effective way to keep those going is by weightlifting--and I don't mean 20# dumbell curls. Do any marathoners look strong to you?

My father was an avid, competitive runner, but simply couldn't take it physically much past 45. He switched to road and mountain cycling, and is still competing at that at 61. He added some strength training in the winter via CrossFit. That could be a pretty good way to get started, but be careful, some of the high intensity repetitive CrossFit stuff is not smart for older joints either. Don't get carried away with their 50 pullups stuff. I'd take 10 complete pullups any day.

I'm almost 33, and can tell I don't recover as quickly as I did even 4 years ago, but it hasn't stopped me from doing anything, except heavy drinking!

Ted Valentine

Post by Ted Valentine » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:24 am

Harold wrote:Count me among the "hasn't happened yet" category.

What I'm amazed by is how many people (not those posting in this thread) voluntarily choose poor health at an early age, thereby setting the stage for a very physically limited later life. We all know people who hit their 30s and complain about getting old as they swill soda and munch doritos on their couch while watching a football game. Rather than making regular exercise and a good diet part of their life, they just pack it in -- apparently unaware, or uncaring, about the decades of good life they are sacrificing. I realize people say they don't have time because of work, family, or whatever -- but plenty of people who work and have families make the choice to go on a run rather than watching the TV show, choose to bypass the workplace donuts, walk up the escalator instead of letting it levitate you, etc. It's such a sad, and avoidable, situation.
Even if you're in shape, sometimes you have to pack it in. Everyone's body is different, its not always about discipline and hard work vs being lazy.

I regularly ran >20 miles or more per week and was in great shape in my mid-30s. I ran a half marathon under 2 hours at age 40 (not fast but respectable for that age). My body just couldn't keep up with high impact sports like basketball and even competitive softball when I hit my mid 30s. The compounding sprained ankles and hamstring injuries were not worth it. I still run for exercise and enjoyment. I'd love to still play sports, but I know my body can't handle it.
Although our intellect always longs for clarity and certainty, our nature often finds uncertainty fascinating.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:32 am

Ted Valentine wrote:
Harold wrote:Count me among the "hasn't happened yet" category.

What I'm amazed by is how many people (not those posting in this thread) voluntarily choose poor health at an early age, thereby setting the stage for a very physically limited later life. We all know people who hit their 30s and complain about getting old as they swill soda and munch doritos on their couch while watching a football game. Rather than making regular exercise and a good diet part of their life, they just pack it in -- apparently unaware, or uncaring, about the decades of good life they are sacrificing. I realize people say they don't have time because of work, family, or whatever -- but plenty of people who work and have families make the choice to go on a run rather than watching the TV show, choose to bypass the workplace donuts, walk up the escalator instead of letting it levitate you, etc. It's such a sad, and avoidable, situation.
Even if you're in shape, sometimes you have to pack it in. Everyone's body is different, its not always about discipline and hard work vs being lazy.

I regularly ran >20 miles or more per week and was in great shape in my mid-30s. I ran a half marathon under 2 hours at age 40 (not fast but respectable for that age). My body just couldn't keep up with high impact sports like basketball and even competitive softball when I hit my mid 30s. The compounding sprained ankles and hamstring injuries were not worth it. I still run for exercise and enjoyment. I'd love to still play sports, but I know my body can't handle it.
I think Harold used "pack it in" as in "stuff it all in their mouths without worrying about quantity/quality", not "pack it in" as in "give up on activities or life-as-it-was-known", etc. (??)

RM

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:56 pm

I'm 72, and I always used to answer on these kind of polls saying nothing limits me. But a couple years ago I hurt my back, and ever since then haven't been able to get fully back into my normal exercise program. But what limits me more is my wife's health. She's nearly homebound which restricts how much I can get outside the home.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

ryuns

Post by ryuns » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:28 pm

letsgobobby wrote:In my current position it would be hard to cut back, but i may ask to do so in the next few years rather than waiting 10-15. 43 is the new 53.

Thank you all for the input, and the reality checks.
That was going to be my question. Hastening a transition to part time seems like it would be a good option, particularly for someone who enjoys backpacking. If you could swing 2-3 day weeks, you'd have a lot of time for mid-distance trips. My physician neighbor recently took a part time position. It requires a 90 minute commute, but he only works ~3 days a week with long breaks, and it's in the Sonoma Valley, so he picked up an apartment there and seems to enjoy his time there, which involves a lot of bike riding (at a very leisurely pace, as I learned on a recent ride!), hiking, etc. For him, the transition to part time was worth looking outside the immediate metro area, but then again that risks undermining your original goal if it leads to time away from family and longer commutes.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:42 pm

4stripes wrote:OP, you said the keywords: running + 39 = bad knees, back, feet.

I'd abandon running as exercise of choice. It can simply be too much impact on older joints, and to me has a negative impact on strength into your later years. Muscle and bone strength is what you're fighting against into 40+, and the most effective way to keep those going is by weightlifting--and I don't mean 20# dumbell curls. Do any marathoners look strong to you?

My father was an avid, competitive runner, but simply couldn't take it physically much past 45. He switched to road and mountain cycling, and is still competing at that at 61. He added some strength training in the winter via CrossFit. That could be a pretty good way to get started, but be careful, some of the high intensity repetitive CrossFit stuff is not smart for older joints either. Don't get carried away with their 50 pullups stuff. I'd take 10 complete pullups any day.

I'm almost 33, and can tell I don't recover as quickly as I did even 4 years ago, but it hasn't stopped me from doing anything, except heavy drinking!
I only run 10 miles per week, and I don't feel pain while running. Mostly my back hurts when sitting, standing, or after sleeping at night. Walking/hiking is one of the few things that doesn't hurt it.

I do lift - mostly compound movements. I'm an ectomorph, so weight gain is tough, but I make gains as I can. Unfortunately the back really limits deadlifts (I can do dumbell deadlifts but not barbell) and even squats are hit or miss - but I've found that Smith machine squats and leg presses are more tolerable even if they're not as comprehensive. wide grip chins - I do 25 twice weekly, in 2-3 sets.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:36 pm

Best shape of my life at 40. Running half marathons at sub7 minutes per mile, and active in field sports.

I think a lot of people misattribute inactivity-related and weight-gain loss of fitness as incapacity to exercise (at high levels).

I can't tell you how many of my colleagues and friends who say "I can't run more than a quarter mile - I get terrible joint pain in knees, back, etc." when the reality is that yes, you're SUPPOSED to get those pains if you haven't run for years, are now 20-50 lbs overweight, and then try to do so all at once.

My parents (who aren't remotely athletic) told me when I was a child and still tell me today "wait until you're 30 - you'll gain so much weight that you'll stop all your exercise and get fat and old." They told me that every year starting at age 30, and at age 40, they're still telling me that, despite all the activities I've done and the shape I'm in year round.

That said, there are def some medical conditions which absolutely will limit your activity, and those crop up at alarmingly high frequency near retirement age. However, I do think that currenty, "40 is the old 30", and by the time I'm 50, it'll be "50 is the old 40." In the local races where I compete in, the top guys in the 50 year old age category are routinely amongst the fastest, and are sometimes the overall winners, ahead of all the young guns out there. Put in the hard work and you can push that age-related decline back a long ways.

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:19 pm

The Wizard wrote:I'm almost 63.
Bunch of us here at work used to play tennis (singles and/or doubles) at the college courts next door from 12-1 two or three times a week, indoor courts in winter.
But two years ago I dropped out of the group after 30+ years.
It was just wearing me down too much, perhaps stealing too much time from work also.
I think it was more a simple age issue than a specific health issue.
So that's just one data point for you...
I stopped playing tennis at 28, after about fifteen years of competitive play. I had extreme tendinitis in my forearm that could no longer be masked with pre match Tylenol. The pain was so severe during one match I had tears in my eyes. I forfeited and walked off the court knowing I was done. That was twelve years ago and I have not played since. About two years ago I tried hitting a few balls in the basement and felt pain returning after a few minutes. Kind of a bummer.

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:11 pm

Never. I am 55 and still in denial. But gray hair is migrating from my head to my chest and back and that is a bit scary!
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki