Superb Electric Blanket

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Jerilynn

Superb Electric Blanket

Post by Jerilynn »

It's that time of year again. Bah! Humbug! ;)

Anyway, this is regarding saving money on heating bills. I'm sure many on the forum use or are considering buying an electric blanket. I got this one from Amazon the other day and it's just great. Never heard of this brand before but, it looks great, covers the [king] bed more than adequately, dual controls, optimal thickness, soft, etc, etc. Great christmas present! I recommend it highly. ~$145.00 (different colors have slightly different prices.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041R ... 09_s00_i00
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)
jeff1949

Re: Superb Electric Blanket

Post by jeff1949 »

I just bought what appears to be the same brand at Costco for only $119.00 for a Cal-King. Ours is actually is a mattress pad instead of a blanket though but has the same exact control units as your blanket. We love it.

Here is a link to Costco but they may be sold out or have significantly lowered their price:

http://www.costco.com/heated-mattress-pads.html

Here is the blanket version at Costco which is about the same price as your blanket:

http://www.costco.com/ProductDisplay?st ... =100007385
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

Jerilynn wrote:It's that time of year again. Bah! Humbug! ;)

Anyway, this is regarding saving money on heating bills. I'm sure many on the forum use or are considering buying an electric blanket. I got this one from Amazon the other day and it's just great. Never heard of this brand before but, it looks great, covers the [king] bed more than adequately, dual controls, optimal thickness, soft, etc, etc. Great christmas present! I recommend it highly. ~$145.00 (different colors have slightly different prices.)

I've been using a Sunbeam one for a few years and I would recommend it also. I was concerned about electromagnetic fields being so close to the body. But it seems that electric blankets manufactured after 1992 use much weaker EMF's.

http://www.electricblanketinstitute.com ... -care.html

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
Topic Author
Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn »

jeff1949 wrote:I just bought what appears to be the same brand at Costco for only $119.00 for a Cal-King. Ours is actually is a mattress pad instead of a blanket though but has the same exact control units as your blanket. We love it.
Yup, mine is a warming blanket not a mattress pad. And no Costco around here.

Good information, though. Thanks, Jeff.
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Jerilynn:

We are very pleased with our king size, individually controlled, electric blanket purchased 5 or 6 years ago--so your post caused me to read the label. It is called a "Perfect Fit." I googled this link:

http://www.electricblanket.net/p-14-per ... anket.aspx

Yes, we sometimes need electric blankets in Florida. :wink:

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Whatever happened to goose down comforters? You know, the non-electric version of electric blankets.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
yukonjack

Post by yukonjack »

Not to throw cold water on this post but I thought researchers had long ago determined electric blankets to be unsafe, especially for extended use. And as was mentioned earlier it's hard to beat down.
interplanetjanet

Post by interplanetjanet »

livesoft wrote:Whatever happened to goose down comforters? You know, the non-electric version of electric blankets.
I use those (down/feather filled duvets) both above and below in winter. Wool socks too (I can't fall asleep if I'm cold at all). They work really well, but I've been eyeing a heated toilet seat...maybe it'll be a gateway to electric blankets. ;)
shmidds

Post by shmidds »

Get a Tempurpedic mattress and you can fry eggs.
PacNorWest

Post by PacNorWest »

Electric blankets are best when used on a timer to pre-heat the bed before getting in.
Turn them off while sleeping and rely on the down for continued comfort.
Life is good.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Don't forget to get the whole-house electric generator backup for your blanket.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn »

livesoft wrote:Whatever happened to goose down comforters? You know, the non-electric version of electric blankets.
Lot's of allergy problems. Although, now I see "hypoallergenic down", I wonder how that works, exactly. :)
Topic Author
Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn »

fsrph wrote:
Jerilynn wrote:It's that time of year again. Bah! Humbug! ;)

I've been using a Sunbeam one for a few years and I would recommend it also. I was concerned about electromagnetic fields being so close to the body. But it seems that electric blankets manufactured after 1992 use much weaker EMF's.

http://www.electricblanketinstitute.com ... -care.html

Francis
The one I posted uses DC current, which, according to their information (propaganda?), has never been shown to cause any damage.
Topic Author
Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn »

yukonjack wrote:Not to throw cold water on this post but I thought researchers had long ago determined electric blankets to be unsafe, especially for extended use. And as was mentioned earlier it's hard to beat down.
Supposedly, the problem is with ones that use AC current, not DC current.
Topic Author
Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn »

interplanetjanet wrote:
I use those (down/feather filled duvets) both above and below in winter. Wool socks too (I can't fall asleep if I'm cold at all). They work really well, but I've been eyeing a heated toilet seat...maybe it'll be a gateway to electric blankets. ;)
Best wool socks I ever have used, by far.

http://www.rei.com/product/664970/rei-m ... tion-socks
travellight

Post by travellight »

I have a down comforter between my skin and my electric blanket.... it is the ultimate. Soft downy comfort, and warm. I have a quilt above the electric blanket for aesthetic coverage.
pteam

Post by pteam »

Just for reference I've had a few different electric blankets not work or half of them not work after folding them up and storing them for the summer.