Getting rid of trash and junk in a hurry

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
paulsiu

Getting rid of trash and junk in a hurry

Post by paulsiu » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:46 pm

So the plan for moving mom to CA is going well. We have ordered a pod type unit. We have verified that her car is CA emission certified and is working out the details for transportation. We have gotten plane tickets and pets. We are looking into insurance coverage. Closing dates are setup.

The remaining issue is how to get the remaining junk out. So far we have:
1. Give away as much stuff to friends.
2. Contacted the Salvation Army and schedule a time where they can pick up stuff.
3. Try to give away remaining stuff to charity.
4. Take out big stuff, we are allowed 3 items per week.

The problem is that we will still be stuck with a bunch of large items that we need to take away. I don't want to rent a dumpster. The neighbors are going to use that to dump all of their trash and it will fill up overnight. The dumpster is also not going to fit with the pod there. Are there places where we can pay someone to accept trash? I figure I can just rent a truck from Home depot and deliver the trash when all packing is done.

Paul

NYBoglehead

Re: Getting rid of trash and junk in a hurry

Post by NYBoglehead » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:53 pm

Not sure where you're from but 1-800-gotjunk will take away most of what you don't want. Not sure what items you have left either but if you plan on throwing away whatever you couldn't give away I'd be willing to be the neighbors and others wouldn't mind taking a walk through the house to scout out what you've got.

mlipps

Post by mlipps » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:57 pm

paulsiu wrote:
The problem is that we will still be stuck with a bunch of large items that we need to take away. I don't want to rent a dumpster. The neighbors are going to use that to dump all of their trash and it will fill up overnight. The dumpster is also not going to fit with the pod there. Are there places where we can pay someone to accept trash? I figure I can just rent a truck from Home depot and deliver the trash when all packing is done.

Paul
I grew up in the country, so maybe I'm crazy, but where I'm from you can just pay by weight to drop stuff off at the landfill by yourself.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:01 pm

1. Check with the municipal sanitation department. Many will have a transfer station were residents can dump waste. (Particularly true in areas where people are prone to flytipping) Some will cooperate in other ways, such as special pickups.

2. Some dumpsters have lockable covers. This may keep the neighbors out.

3. You might want to look at something like the WM bagster, available from Home Depot and other places. You may be able to fill it in a day, or be able to stage the trash in, say, a garage until you are ready to fill it up.
http://www.thebagster.com/

lws6772

Post by lws6772 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:23 pm

Also, don't forget Craigslist, post in the free section. :wink:
Rule 1. Never lose money. Rule 2. Never forget Rule 1.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:27 pm

I doubt the neighbors would scurry to the dumpster and fill it up overnight. We had a neighbor with a dumpster for construction and no one was that rude (said neighbor on the other hand went around and filled up our garbage cans with construction waste on trash pickup night a couple of times rather than pay for another dumpster removal, so rudeness can go both ways). Either a dumpster or renting a trailer to haul trash to the landfill yourself is about the simplest solution for the items that charities do not want. No need to overthink it or worry about things that aren't highly likely to happen.

Curlyq

Post by Curlyq » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:11 pm

lws6772 wrote:Also, don't forget Craigslist, post in the free section. :wink:
+1 You will be surprised at what people will take when it's free.

camper

Post by camper » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:28 pm

I have an eight year old son. When he outgrows a toy we stick it out at the curb with a sign saying free. It has worked every time, even with some pretty junky toys.

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:28 pm

Curlyq wrote:

Take pictures if your post on Cragslist. Makes everything more legit.

linuxuser

Post by linuxuser » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:51 pm

a Freecycle garage sale
post the date

Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:47 pm

mlipps wrote:
paulsiu wrote:

Paul
I grew up in the country, so maybe I'm crazy, but where I'm from you can just pay by weight to drop stuff off at the landfill by yourself.
It costs approximately $13.50 a ton around here.
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:56 pm

camper wrote:I have an eight year old son. When he outgrows a toy we stick it out at the curb with a sign saying free. It has worked every time, even with some pretty junky toys.
there is the classic story of the home owner who could not get the town to pick up his toss away appliance - dryer, washer, whatever.
he finally hauled it out to the curb and put a "for sale" sign on it. the appliance was gone the next day.
of course there is the danger that the thieves would return it along with some other trash once they found out the thing did not work...
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

dianna

Post by dianna » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:16 pm

Curlyq wrote:
+2 on listing items on Craigslist under free section. Be specific about what you have, list what time it will be at curbside / end of driveway, give the address, then lock the doors. Note that you will not respond to any reply emails - - first come, first served if you will. DO NOT PUT OUT ANYTHING IN THE YARD/DRIVEWAY/AREA that you want to keep. (Meaning, don't place items on a folding card table unless you want the folding card table to go away as well). The scavengers are a-comin and they will take everything (Grinch, anyone?).

Default User BR

Post by Default User BR » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:01 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:Either a dumpster or renting a trailer to haul trash to the landfill yourself is about the simplest solution for the items that charities do not want.
I would disagree. When I was rebuilding my deck, I had a bunch of old lumber to get rid of. I called around and found a local guy. For $125 he and his brother-in-law humped all the stuff from the backyard into his truck and away it went forever. THAT was simple.

Brian

nordsteve

Post by nordsteve » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:07 pm

HD and Lowes have "haul away bags" that you put in the driveway and load with materials. It runs a bit over $100 -- you buy the bag for about $20-30 and then pay the remainder to the hauler to haul it away.

http://www.wm.com/residential/bagster-bag.jsp

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:17 pm

Is there anything that can be sold (at flea markets or at auctions)? If so, look for people who do estate sales. If there is enough stuff for them to sell at a profit you can work out a deal where they will take out all your trash for you too.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

jridger2011

Post by jridger2011 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:51 pm

Call a junk removal company and get a quote for how much it costs to remove 1 truck worth of stuff. It's pretty fast since they haul it all out for you without risking serious injury if you have a place with stairs and large pieces of furniture. What I have done in the past was disassemble as much as possible into the smallest pieces possible and filling out garbage bags with it, but it's a lot of manual effort to cut down furniture and disassemble chairs which is not an option in your case.

RyeWhiskey

Post by RyeWhiskey » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:05 pm

dianna wrote:
Curlyq wrote:
+2 on listing items on Craigslist under free section. Be specific about what you have, list what time it will be at curbside / end of driveway, give the address, then lock the doors. Note that you will not respond to any reply emails - - first come, first served if you will. DO NOT PUT OUT ANYTHING IN THE YARD/DRIVEWAY/AREA that you want to keep. (Meaning, don't place items on a folding card table unless you want the folding card table to go away as well). The scavengers are a-comin and they will take everything (Grinch, anyone?).
+3

Definitely be as clear as possible; pictures for every item; placed in an easy-to-access spot far away from anything else; post on the add that you won't respond to anything. Do it well and all the items will probably be gone in a few hours, in not a day.
This post was brought to you by Vanguard Total World Stock Index (VTWSX/VT).

tarheal93

Post by tarheal93 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:17 pm

Have stuff appraised-professionally-should be $100.00 or two.
Donate the whole lot to a local Thrift or Hospice House; maybe a charity your Mom cares for; they haul it away;
take tax deduction.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:51 pm

Where I live in the northeast, the local landfill will take whatever you can fit in the back of a pickup truck (with some exclusions) for $60 per load. But, by the time you rent a truck and break your back putting the junk in it, might as well just hire one of those junk removal guys for a few hundred.

I also agree with the craigslist "curb alert" method mentioned previously. And I also agree that the "scavengers" will try to roll up your front lawn and take that away for free too if you let them. :P

paulsiu

Post by paulsiu » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:27 pm

So far, I have setup Salvation Army appointment. Next I'll try to do Freecycle and Craig's list. I have called a few places and apparently they will come the same or next day to haul out your trash. The rate seems reasonable at around $600 per 16 feet truckload including labor.

Paul

wesleymouch

Post by wesleymouch » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:44 pm

Estate sale companies will often buy the entire contents of your house/apt with just one check then haul it away.