Adblock Plus; Chrome & Firefox

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Jerilynn

Adblock Plus; Chrome & Firefox

Post by Jerilynn » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:27 am

Is it just me, or does Adblock Plus slow down Chrome a lot more than Firefox? Maybe a setting?
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)

Re: Adblock Plus; Chrome & Firefox

Post by 555 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:24 am

Google has an incentive to thwart Adblock.

Topic Author
Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:17 pm

555 wrote:Google has an incentive to thwart Adblock.
Please elaborate.
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)

Tom_T

Post by Tom_T » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:39 pm

Almost all of Google's revenue is from ads. AdBlock is the last thing they want to see.

Calm Man

Post by Calm Man » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:10 pm

I use Mozilla FIrefox. I put on adblock. I never see an ad and I love it. I also learned about something called "Ghostery" that I installed. It blocks tracking. It shows you if you want what tracking sites are blocked. ALmost every site has several google and several facebook trackers blocked and it gives me great pleasure to see that.

mike143

Post by mike143 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:15 pm

I have been using Adblock Plus forever and even AdFree on Android. I just installed the Ghostery to check out. When I have to view web on a computer without these countermeasures it is information overload.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.

LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:30 am

Both good browsers. But Firefox is extension friendly.
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides

brianH

Post by brianH » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:04 pm

LazyNihilist wrote:Both good browsers. But Firefox is extension friendly.
I haven't looked into the internal of Chrome in a while, but it used to be the case that extensions are done very differently in FF/Chrome. FF extensions allow you to manipulate what the browser is doing at a very low level. That is, you can do things like changing what data is requested when a page loads (skipping ads.) At the time, Chrome wouldn't allow you to do that, so the adblocker extensions just manipulated the page once it was downloaded/rendered to remove the ads. Since the ads were still being requested and downloaded, this could increase the perceived load-time of a page.

Because of this, I prefer FF as a browser. The extensions can be far more powerful and useful. Of course, it also gives an extension writer the ability to access anything that is being done in the browser. Only install extensions that you trust.

Topic Author
Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:36 pm

brianH wrote:
LazyNihilist wrote:Both good browsers. But Firefox is extension friendly.
I haven't looked into the internal of Chrome in a while, but it used to be the case that extensions are done very differently in FF/Chrome. FF extensions allow you to manipulate what the browser is doing at a very low level. That is, you can do things like changing what data is requested when a page loads (skipping ads.) At the time, Chrome wouldn't allow you to do that, so the adblocker extensions just manipulated the page once it was downloaded/rendered to remove the ads. Since the ads were still being requested and downloaded, this could increase the perceived load-time of a page.

Because of this, I prefer FF as a browser. The extensions can be far more powerful and useful. Of course, it also gives an extension writer the ability to access anything that is being done in the browser. Only install extensions that you trust.
That makes sense, thanks Brian. I'm turning off adblock plus on chrome and keeping it on firefox. I mostly use chrome, but there is a vermiculture board that has lot's of ads/pop-ups and I will use firefox for that.