What kind of car are you driving?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
coffeehubcap

Re: What kind of car are you driving?

Post by coffeehubcap » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:34 am

1999 Acura TL the best car I ever owned and the airbags are safe (so far). All I've put into this gem has bee general maintenance. It's the perfect car that I bought used in 2001 with 9000 miles on it. I love this car.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:36 am

2008 Infiniti G37s, 6 Speed Manual, RWD, 330HP

Lots of smiles per gallon! :mrgreen:

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:11 am

Past cars:

1982 Honda Accord 5sp - my HS/college car acquired in 92 or 93. drove it from 120k to 180k. Did all kinds of work on it including a clutch, front end rebuild, rebuild carb... almost totaled it and rebuilt it from junkyard parts. I loved that car.
1987 Dodge Charger hatchback 4sp - bought this in college for $200 after the Honda rusted out (one of the shock tower mounts decided it didn't want to stay attached to the unibody ;) ) . The Dodge was a nightmare to start in the winter, left me stranded many times and I had fun repairing it in the college dorm parking lot. I once drove it from upstate NY to CT with nothing but a cable tie holding the shift linkage together. Owned it from 220k to 250k
1987 Honda Accord hatchback 5sp - Bough this cheap when i got my first job. First car I owned with fuel injection (wow! it starts in winter) and over 100hp. Drove it from 140k to 180k and I hear it had a complete electrical system failure right after I sold it off for $200
2003 Acura RSX Type-S 6sp - First car I ever bought new.. I loved that car and drove it for 11 years and 90k miles. Never a hiccup.

Current car is not a car at all - its a truck. I bought a 2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad 4x4 double cab. I never thought Id be a truck guy but I absolutely LOVE this thing. Has room to haul my toys and the kids in their booster seats, I can drive it through a foot of snow, and use it for home improvement projects, dump runs, hauling home a yard of mulch or a free firewood score. Only downside is the mileage kinda sucks for long commutes.

The Mrs. drives the family hauler. 2008 Honda Pilot SE 4wd that we bought as a 2 year old CPO car when the kids arrived. She had a Corolla before that.

Someday, maybe after the kids are graduated I'd like a fun weekend car to drive and wrench on. Something Italian, German or British, pre-1980 and preferably ragtop ;)
Last edited by jharkin on Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cast128

Post by cast128 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:22 am

In medical school I was determined to save as much money as possible and will admit that I went a little crazy. My car seat belt broke meaning that the seat belt was locked and would not withdrawal from the wall to be put on. Well I got a quote and the fix for my 2000 ford escape would be like 1000 bucks including labor. I decided not to do it since I only lived 1 mile from work and for several years went without a seat belt. Long trips were dont with a friend as I didn't trust driving on the highway without one. When my parents got wind of this, the car was about to die anyway so we sold it for like $700 to a dealership and they graciously gifted me their 2006 ford escape. So now I'm driving my mom's old car which has a working seat belt :happy

Alchemist

Post by Alchemist » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:27 pm

I drive a 2012 Camaro SS with a 6 speed MT. She is black, with black leather and is a joy to drive everyday. And even quite comfortable for long road trips, with acceptable highway mileage (I've seen as good as 25 MPG on a 6 hour trip)....though around town the MPG is pretty atrocious(18ish for the most part), and no thanks to my right foot for that :twisted:

Bought used and paid cash about 18 months ago. Plan to keep this car for at least another 3-4 years. Probably longer.

I typically keep cars for 3-5 years. Previous cars were a 2000 Camaro, 2005 GTO, and a 2003 Nissan Skyline 250GT (I lived in Japan for a few years). Clearly I have a type of car, but I always buy used and with cash.

Serie1926

Post by Serie1926 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:04 pm

[/quote]

ScooterBob, what kind of scooter in your avatar? I bought a Yamaha Smax last year and love it![/quote]

That's my trusty 2005 Piaggio BV200. 28,000 miles as of yesterday. Those Smax's are very nice. My wife and I also have a "vintage" Yamaha, 1995 Riva 125. Fast for it's size- we both can ride it. Scooters are VERY underrated in the U.S. Fantastic vehicles that are SO fun to ride.

Bob[/quote]

Awesome! Every time I ride the Smax, feels like I'm on vacation :)

edge

Post by edge » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:55 pm

I recently ordered a Jag XE r-sport 35t

blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:52 pm

Current Vehicles:

- 2016 Subaru Forester Touring w/Eyesight (wife's), love it!
- 2009 Subaru Legacy Limited (mine), love it!
- 2012 Ducati Monster 1100EVO (MINE!), LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE IT!
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---

goldendad

Post by goldendad » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:25 pm

2013 Honda CR-V

Buccaneer82

Post by Buccaneer82 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:40 am

I drive a 2013 Honda Accord lx we bought new in sept when they were blowing them out. Wife drives 2016 Honda CR-V ex we bought new last day of the year when sale was ending. Mine we didn't get any warranty extension, hers we have 8 years. Typically keep a car 8-10 yrs.

MikeMak27

Post by MikeMak27 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:57 am

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Laredo 23E package. Got it with tax title and license (which adds thousands more on to the car in IL) for 32k all in. I get about 24mpg becuase I am almost always using cruise control which is a life saver when it comes to boosting mpg. Paid it off within my first 6 months of ownership. I absolutely love the car.
Mac 4 fund portfolio: 45% US small cap value (IJS, VBR), 40% Emerging Markets (IEMG, VWO, FPMAX), 10% long term US treasuries (TLT), 5% US REITS (VNQ)

Daryl

Post by Daryl » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:58 am

2008 Toyota Rav4 w/ 134K miles. It goes through a quart or two of oil every 1,000 miles. Toyota is going to try to address that next week.
2005 Suzuki C90T w/ between 15K and 20K miles. Motorcycles are a ton of fun, but I really only ride on fair weather days. The novelty has worn off, and I may not replace it when it falls apart.

I'm shopping for a new vehicle now. I'm trying to decide how much to budget for this purchase. My current car was about 1/3 of my net worth at the time (and half of my annual salary!). This time around, I'll probably limit my purchase to well less than 10% of my net worth.

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:04 am

2006 Lincoln LS, 135,000 miles. Bought new when Lincoln announced that they would no longer be making them - they really wanted them off the lots and gave huge discounts. It has been mostly a great car, but possibly the worst ice/snow car ever made.

Ryanlion8506

Post by Ryanlion8506 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:12 am

Well, my original post is in personal finance. Lol, I literally just got rid of brand new ford truck because it was just too big and bulky for my liking. I got new Toyota Tacoma double cab 4x4, love it. Seems so many bogleheads vilify you if you buy new. You know what?? We all spend money on different things. I like cars, some like traveling over seas, some like xyz. Point is, if you can afford it and enjoy it, why the heck not? Because others say you should hide in a hole and put all your $$ in a vanguard fund? Live life, work hard, pay off debt, save, but enjoy.

rokidtoo

Post by rokidtoo » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:58 pm

Currently, we have a 2006 Toyota Avalon and a 2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid. We love both cars.

The hybrid has gotten an average of 38.2 mpg since we bought it new in 2014. The only downside is that we lost ~2 cu. ft. of trunk capacity and the ability to pass long objects through the trunk into the back seat, e.g. skis.

In 18 months, after our mortgage is payed off, I have my eye on a 2017 Mazda Miata "targa top".

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:33 am

Ryanlion8506 wrote:Well, my original post is in personal finance. Lol, I literally just got rid of brand new ford truck because it was just too big and bulky for my liking. I got new Toyota Tacoma double cab 4x4, love it. Seems so many bogleheads vilify you if you buy new. You know what?? We all spend money on different things. I like cars, some like traveling over seas, some like xyz. Point is, if you can afford it and enjoy it, why the heck not? Because others say you should hide in a hole and put all your $$ in a vanguard fund? Live life, work hard, pay off debt, save, but enjoy.
New car, are you nuts?? :D

I have always bought my cars new like you. I think the difference in 2-3 yr old used vs new for Japanese cars was (to me) not worth the effort. The used car market for Japanese manufactured cars has been hot so no point in buying a slightly used when for a few thousand more you can get new. With much better financing terms than used.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:09 am

Ryanlion8506 wrote:Seems so many bogleheads vilify you if you buy new.
I think that attitude is changing. Im a short timer but in the last couple months Ive been in a number of threads where we discussed how the dynamics of car buying is changing. Many cars (Honda and Toyota especially) depreciate much slower than they used to. Add in paid maintenance plans and near free financing for new vehicles and the case for buying lighly used is far less compelling than it used to be.

Check the blue book on your Taco, you are in for a pleasant surprise. If I sold mine private party I would almost walk away with a profit, according to Kelly :)

NaOH

Post by NaOH » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:01 pm

Alchemist wrote:2012 Camaro SS with a 6 speed MT
2000 Camaro
2005 GTO
2003 Nissan Skyline 250GT
My kinda car person. :thumbsup

As bad as it sounds, I think I may end up eventually being a perennial leaser - there are just too many interesting/different kinds of vehicles I want to try. If that's my singular indulgence in life, I'm not going to worry about it.
"Are you flying? Or are you simply floating?"

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:41 pm

I wrote already that I drive a 12 year old 101 k miles Buick Century. It is a garage car and sees oil changes early. I am happy with it. But this weekend I dug deeper into some rust underneath the door frames, and then was busy for 2 days with Bondo repair. So since I am 10 years away from life expectancy, it is time for a new car. I am thinking Camry or Accord, wife believes that larger cars are safer. I would run up 50 k miles in 10 years, so it should last. So I will start looking. One requirement is space for 6 mulch bags in trunk to satisfy my gardening hobby.

anoop

Post by anoop » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:46 pm

I am in a 2015 328i M-sport 6MT.
edge wrote:I recently ordered a Jag XE r-sport 35t
What did you drive before?

edge

Post by edge » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:58 pm

I have a Jag XF with the same 340hp supercharged V6 as the XE 35t.

Before that I had a Cayman S. Before that an Infiniti g35 6mt. Before that an E46 m3.

If I was going to get a 'sporty' bmw today I would get the 340i with m-sport. If you can afford it, this is the bmw to get.

I used to be a huge propeller head...I must say it was a very sad day when bmw moved the 328 to a 4 banger and bloated the 3 series dimensions.
anoop wrote:I am in a 2015 328i M-sport 6MT.
edge wrote:I recently ordered a Jag XE r-sport 35t
What did you drive before?

fatcharlie

Post by fatcharlie » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:22 am

2015 Honda Fit.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:31 am

Since so many here own and are loyal to Toyotas and Hondas, are these 2 stocks worth buying as long-term investments?
(This is assuming one is looking for individual stocks of course, and totally skipping the question of whether owning individual stocks at all is wise, just for the sake of this question please and thanks in advance.)

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:13 pm

rgs92 wrote:Since so many here own and are loyal to Toyotas and Hondas, are these 2 stocks worth buying as long-term investments?
(This is assuming one is looking for individual stocks of course, and totally skipping the question of whether owning individual stocks at all is wise, just for the sake of this question please and thanks in advance.)
No, because the value is already priced in. Toyota is known for owner loyalty because of its long record of building reliable cars. Since everyone knows that this is Toyota's corporate asset, investors expect Toyota to continue selling more cars, and will pay more for Toyota stock.
Wiki David Grabiner

ubermax

Post by ubermax » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:47 pm

The commuting vehicle of choice for DW and I was a VW Jetta - now that we're retired we drive something else :happy

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:23 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
tyrion wrote:
VictoriaF wrote: If my car ever dies (it's about 16 years old now but still going strong) I will probably get the next one with manual transmission. The last time I drove stick shift was twenty years ago in Spain. It's about time to refresh the skill. Considering the resale value of cars with standard transmission, does this qualify as a luxury?

Victoria

I recently read that manual transmissions account for about 5% of the US car purchases recently. 2011 was in the 4% range, and there was actually an uptick in 2012 (the first in many years), probably due to more small economy cars being purchased.
Someone I know has bought a Honda Fit with the manual transmission. She has not driven MT before, and I feel competitive.

Victoria
I've never owned an automatic and simply enjoy the control it offers. Along with the other mentioned benefits, manual transmissions tend to last longer; I've had 4 cars in nearly 20yrs of driving and I've never had a single transmission issue.

We're probably going to buy a 2nd car in the next 2yrs and are researching just so we're prepared. We're primarily thinking a Fit or Hyundai Accent hatch (our only car is an '09 accent hatch, which has been great, we'll need another car somewhat soon because our 2 kids are starting a lot more activities), both which come standard with manuals, but we've found it is almost impossible to find one.

edge

Post by edge » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:49 pm

And for an an anecdotal counterweight to your anecdotal example - I have had several manual transmissions repaired. No automatics have needed repair.

I think we are at the tipping point where autos get better gas mileage too. Control is debatable at the high end. Paddle shifting, Porsche PDK, etc come to mind. I've had many manuals and autos...
stoptothink wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
tyrion wrote:
VictoriaF wrote: If my car ever dies (it's about 16 years old now but still going strong) I will probably get the next one with manual transmission. The last time I drove stick shift was twenty years ago in Spain. It's about time to refresh the skill. Considering the resale value of cars with standard transmission, does this qualify as a luxury?

Victoria

I recently read that manual transmissions account for about 5% of the US car purchases recently. 2011 was in the 4% range, and there was actually an uptick in 2012 (the first in many years), probably due to more small economy cars being purchased.
Someone I know has bought a Honda Fit with the manual transmission. She has not driven MT before, and I feel competitive.

Victoria
I've never owned an automatic and simply enjoy the control it offers. Along with the other mentioned benefits, manual transmissions tend to last longer; I've had 4 cars in nearly 20yrs of driving and I've never had a single transmission issue.

We're probably going to buy a 2nd car in the next 2yrs and are researching just so we're prepared. We're primarily thinking a Fit or Hyundai Accent hatch (our only car is an '09 accent hatch, which has been great, we'll need another car somewhat soon because our 2 kids are starting a lot more activities), both which come standard with manuals, but we've found it is almost impossible to find one.
Last edited by edge on Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keith43

Post by Keith43 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:52 pm

1996 Toyota Corolla - a true Boglehead.

Only 110,000 miles.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:56 pm

edge wrote:And for an an anecdotal counterweight to your anecdotal example - I have had several manual transmissions repaired. No automatics have needed repair.
stoptothink wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
tyrion wrote:

Victoria

Victoria

My experience was probably irrelevant, but it's not anecdotal that manual transmissions generally require less maintenance and are cheaper to fix when things go wrong.

frankbrenowitz

Post by frankbrenowitz » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:02 pm

2011 Ford Focus bought new, now with 80k miles, nothing but scheduled maintenance and a set of tires.

1994 Mercury Tracer station wagon, bought in 2012 with 80k miles, now at 120k. The car has absolutely no blind spots anywhere. Replaced a power steering pump, radiator, and timing belt. Should be good for another 120k.

1982 Chevrolet El Camino Conquista, bought in 2010 with 95k miles. Fun to drive on dry, sunny days.

smitty1515

Post by smitty1515 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:00 pm

2011 Chevy Equinox: 85000 miles
2009 Nissan Altima: 88000 miles

Both are great cars. We are car payment free (the last 15 mo) and plan to never go into debt on a car again.

One of these days I hope to get back into the "nice car" game. I love cars but I don't like leasing and I cannot afford 40-50k cars right now. Plenty of years ahead and will give me something to look forward to.
Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful. -Warren Buffett

edge

Post by edge » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:45 pm

Maybe. But since it is difficult to find manuals anymore it is basically irrelevant. Used to be in high end cars you could get them but ironically the HP/torque is so high on those cars and the drivers so clueless that even many of those come in auto these days. Driving a super car with a manual in traffic is a total nightmare.
stoptothink wrote:
edge wrote:And for an an anecdotal counterweight to your anecdotal example - I have had several manual transmissions repaired. No automatics have needed repair.
stoptothink wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
tyrion wrote:

Victoria

My experience was probably irrelevant, but it's not anecdotal that manual transmissions generally require less maintenance and are cheaper to fix when things go wrong.

chrisam314

Post by chrisam314 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:01 pm

2004 Toyota Highlander. 194,000 miles. Will certainly get a new Highlander when this one kicks the bucket, hopefully not soon.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:13 pm

edge wrote:Maybe. But since it is difficult to find manuals anymore it is basically irrelevant. Used to be in high end cars you could get them but ironically the HP/torque is so high on those cars and the drivers so clueless that even many of those come in auto these days. Driving a super car with a manual in traffic is a total nightmare.
stoptothink wrote:
stoptothink wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria

It's relevant for me, considering we aren't driving supercars (the opposite, we purchase among the cheapest vehicles on the market) and like to keep them 10+ years. When the time comes, we'll find a manual; we'll most likely have to order it though.

William4u

Post by William4u » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:01 pm

coffeehubcap wrote:1999 Acura TL the best car I ever owned and the airbags are safe (so far). All I've put into this gem has bee general maintenance. It's the perfect car that I bought used in 2001 with 9000 miles on it. I love this car.
Same here with my 1998 Toyota Avalon. Similar car to the 99 Acura. It is just so reliable and runs so nice, I can't get rid of it (at 210k miles now).

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:13 am

likegarden wrote:I wrote already that I drive a 12 year old 101 k miles Buick Century. It is a garage car and sees oil changes early. I am happy with it. But this weekend I dug deeper into some rust underneath the door frames, and then was busy for 2 days with Bondo repair. So since I am 10 years away from life expectancy, it is time for a new car. I am thinking Camry or Accord, wife believes that larger cars are safer. I would run up 50 k miles in 10 years, so it should last. So I will start looking. One requirement is space for 6 mulch bags in trunk to satisfy my gardening hobby.
If I'm lucky, I'll have a similar life expectancy. My wife drives an Accord. I don't think it has a trunk large enough for your requirement. I drive a Honda CRV because I too wanted cargo space. The best thing about it is the easy access to the cargo space. The Accord trunk opening is too small for many items, but it is fine for luggage, groceries, etc.

DMW

thomasbayarea

Post by thomasbayarea » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:54 am

BMW 328i, hers
Toyota Prius, my commuter car
Porsche 996 wide body, our weekend car
Several Kawasaki motorcycles, mine

gxa

Post by gxa » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:01 am

09 Infiniti G37 - 110k with nothing but routine maintenance + wear and tear. It is a blast to drive!

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:52 am

2007 Toyota Highlander 55k miles
2006 Lexus LS430 85k miles

Both bullet proof with total cost of repairs (does not include diy maint like oil, filters, brake pad, etc) for both cars to date = $0.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:19 am

2011 BMW 335d, 63k miles. 30mpg in the winter, drops to 28mpg in the summer thanks to judicious use of 500 lbft of torque (aftermarket fuel remap) and 19" Pilot SuperSports necessary to put that power down. Ideal combination of fun and practicality for me.

2007 Lexus RX350, 129k miles. As boring as they come, but relatively reliable since the extended warranty has expired (cost Lexus plenty under the factory and extended warranties). Unimpressive 17mpg overall. Looking to replace this next year, wife wants another but trying to talk her into Volvo XC90, Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel, or perhaps a used Porsche Cayenne Diesel.

Both of these were purchased as demos, with ~10k miles but never titled, at a substantial discount off of Sticker.

rockonhumblepie

Post by rockonhumblepie » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:58 am

1998 F150 bought new 100k runs great (Have small tree farm)
2005 Ford Five Hundred bought used w/ 8k now has 65k runs great (wifes car w/huge back seat for tall teen)

2005 Saleen Mustang 2,900mi for fun (need to drive more and have mo fun)
1956 Ford Crown Victoria 292 Auto restored original
1946 Ford 2N tractor family bought new after WWII

Anyone see a pattern? All FoMoCo...all run excellent.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:17 pm

rockonhumblepie wrote:1998 F150 bought new 100k runs great (Have small tree farm)
2005 Ford Five Hundred bought used w/ 8k now has 65k runs great (wifes car w/huge back seat for tall teen)

2005 Saleen Mustang 2,900mi for fun (need to drive more and have mo fun)
1956 Ford Crown Victoria 292 Auto restored original
1946 Ford 2N tractor family bought new after WWII

Anyone see a pattern? All FoMoCo...all run excellent.
:sharebeer

soboggled

Post by soboggled » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:31 pm

Back buying new Honda Accords, which I think had slumped for a few years. The latest generation is a great car, handles beautifully, smallish yet lots of room inside, great features, much better than other cars like Camry IMO. (OK, the standard sound system is not so good and as somebody else pointed out the trunk opening is small.)
Never understood the appeal of SUVs unless you REALLY need the size and hauling capability. If you want 4 wheel drive buy a Suburu or Audi sedan.
With the advances in safety and other features, buying new makes sense if you can afford it, especially in non-luxury cars. If you can't afford to pay cash for a car you like, buy a different car or an earlier model of it.
Last edited by soboggled on Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:35 pm

1995 Nissan Maxima. 5MT VQ3.0 Engine Ward 10 best engine
1993 Geo prizm lsi (Toyota corolla clone), 5MT, very reliable, very easy to work on.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:49 pm

soboggled wrote: Never understood the appeal of SUVs unless you REALLY need the size and hauling capability. If you want 4 wheel drive buy a Suburu or Audi sedan.
When we replaced our sedan we had concerns about the size (we have a 75lb dog and a 6 year old child), AND safety. We have lot of narrow drives near where we lived and a sedan would make my wife feel unsafe -- so we went with a SUV.
If we didnt have so much kids cr*ap to carry, I would buy Infiniti in a heartbeat!

jackholloway

Post by jackholloway » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:52 pm

soboggled wrote:Back buying new Honda Accords, which I think had slumped for a few years. The latest generation is a great car, handles beautifully, smallish yet lots of room inside, great features, much better than other cars like Camry IMO. (OK, the standard sound system is not so good and as somebody else pointed out the trunk opening is small.)
Never understood the appeal of SUVs unless you REALLY need the size and hauling capability. If you want 4 wheel drive buy a Suburu or Audi sedan.
With the advances in safety and other features, buying new makes sense if you can afford it, especially in non-luxury cars. If you can't afford to pay cash for a car you like, buy a different car or an earlier model of it.
I loved my ten year old accord, was kinda meh about the intermediate generation, and was excited enough about the current generation to buy a new one. I considered waiting another year for the 2018 redesign, but I prefer not getting the first model year of a redesign.

edge

Post by edge » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:57 pm

You probably know already but limiting you car choices to cheap cars that have a manual both limits selection and also resale markets. Even the Europeans are giving up on the manual tranny. It is a hassle in traffic and typical drivers get worse gas mileage.

Btw, for the cars with manual transmissions I've had, it was about the same cost to repair as the auto.
stoptothink wrote:
It's relevant for me, considering we aren't driving supercars (the opposite, we purchase among the cheapest vehicles on the market) and like to keep them 10+ years. When the time comes, we'll find a manual; we'll most likely have to order it though.

edge

Post by edge » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:00 pm

If your winters are cold you should be swapping out the pilots. They make your car a death trap.
lazydavid wrote:2011 BMW 335d, 63k miles. 30mpg in the winter, drops to 28mpg in the summer thanks to judicious use of 500 lbft of torque (aftermarket fuel remap) and 19" Pilot SuperSports necessary to put that power down. Ideal combination of fun and practicality for me.

2007 Lexus RX350, 129k miles. As boring as they come, but relatively reliable since the extended warranty has expired (cost Lexus plenty under the factory and extended warranties). Unimpressive 17mpg overall. Looking to replace this next year, wife wants another but trying to talk her into Volvo XC90, Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel, or perhaps a used Porsche Cayenne Diesel.

Both of these were purchased as demos, with ~10k miles but never titled, at a substantial discount off of Sticker.

mpowered

Post by mpowered » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:06 pm

Tesla Model S. Best car I've ever owned. Looking forward to getting the 3 as well.

rbaldini

Post by rbaldini » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:11 pm

2009 Honda Accord V6. About 130k miles. My daily use car. Great condition.
2000 Acura TL. About 260k miles. Wife uses it less-than-daily. Has a small oil leak and the power steering pump has been vocal recently, but otherwise runs well enough.

Recently moved to an area where a 4WD makes some sense, so we'll likely sell the TL come winter.