NetFlix vs Amazon Prime vs Hulu Plus

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BuckyBadger

NetFlix vs Amazon Prime vs Hulu Plus

Post by BuckyBadger » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:36 pm

We're long time users of NetFlix, although we went to streaming only a few years ago. We recently also became Amazon Prime members. I'm trying to decide if we should keep the Prime and drop the NetFlix, or keep them both...

Also, we never had Hulu Plus, but I know many people who like it.

As far as I can tell, NetFlix has more TV series', Prime has more movies, and Hulu Plus has more current-season TV shows? Am I correct? i haven't been thrilled with NetFlix's movie selection for a while, but I've enjoyed all the TV shows, however, the last time I checked, it looked a little bit better in the movie department. I've not been on Prime long enough to really get a feel for it.

What do you all have, if any? How happy are you with the service and selection?

JamesSFO

Re: NetFlix vs Amazon Prime vs Hulu Plus

Post by JamesSFO » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:41 pm

I say it is a personal choice, maybe write down the last 10-15 items you watched and next 10-15 and search for both in each of the catalogs and see who has better coverage? No one service has very "full" coverage but see which service is better aligned with your personal tastes.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:48 pm

JamesSFO wrote:I say it is a personal choice, maybe write down the last 10-15 items you watched and next 10-15 and search for both in each of the catalogs and see who has better coverage? No one service has very "full" coverage but see which service is better aligned with your personal tastes.
Better yet, add to those lists everything you wanted to watch but were unable to because they are not available on the service you were using. Human nature is such that the loss of what you can't get outweighs the gain from what you can. Greener grass and all that.

German Expat

Post by German Expat » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:48 pm

We have prime and netflix but watch about 95% on Netflix (easier user interface, works on more devices). Prime video on demand just came with our membership so I consider it more or less free since we use prime for other things (free kindle book and 2 day shipping). We are also still on the student level so only pay 39$ for it.

Drain

Post by Drain » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:01 pm

We currently have all three. I agree with a post above mine--Netflix is organized better than Amazon Prime is. It's easier to find what you're looking for, and when you find it, it's easier to deal with. A series tends to be bundled into a single entry, as opposed to having to hunt around in AP for Season 1, Season 2, etc. Also, AP doesn't have a queue. Add to all that that we have a three-year-old and that we enjoy old TV series, and the result is that we watch Netflix probably 30 times as much as Prime. Maybe 100 times.

Hulu Plus has commercials, and they're not trivial. The commercial breaks can last over a minute, and you can't skip them. Personally, I have little use for the service, but my wife watches some shows on it and that keeps our DVR's storage free for other things.
Darin

Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:18 pm

We first got Netflix back when they were only DVDs, and first got Amazon Prime when it was just for a plan for 2-day shipping of products on Amazon. We bought a Roku box three years ago and from the start really enjoyed using it with Netflix streaming until the big Netflix price change last year.

At that point we decided, for our rate of movie/TV series streaming consumption, it was appropriate to just go with the Amazon Prime streaming and Netflix DVDs but drop the Netflix streaming. There is more available for free streaming with a Netflix membership, but we were Amazon Prime members for other reasons anyway, and at our rate of TV watching I think the lower annual price at Amazon + the occasional movie that isn't available for free on Prime was still a lower annual total than a year's worth of streaming membership fees at Netflix. Of course, using this scale, whether Netflix or Amazon Prime is the better deal would vary for other users based on their TV habits and whether or not they would enjoy the non-video benefits of Amazon Prime, which in addition to 2-day shipping also include borrowing some Kindle books for free.

So far, we don't regret our decision and plan to stay Amazon Prime and Netflix DVD-Only members.

midareff

Post by midareff » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:43 pm

BuckyBadger wrote:We're long time users of NetFlix, although we went to streaming only a few years ago. We recently also became Amazon Prime members. I'm trying to decide if we should keep the Prime and drop the NetFlix, or keep them both...

As far as I can tell, NetFlix has more TV series', Prime has more movies, and Hulu Plus has more current-season TV shows? Am I correct? i haven't been thrilled with NetFlix's movie selection for a while, but I've enjoyed all the TV shows, however, the last time I checked, it looked a little bit better in the movie department. I've not been on Prime long enough to really get a feel for it.

Have Hulu+ and Netflix. Like them both for different reasons. If I miss an episode of something I like the chances are great Hulu + will have it the next morning, Netflix the next year. Netflix has lots of movies I never got to over the years .. more than Hulu I believe. My condo furnishes service to Showtime and The Movie Channel with Starz and Encore, I added HBO and Cinemax last week. The cost for the four is less than a movie for two once a month, without popcorn, soda, gas or parking money. Will see what happens and if something provides no use or pleasure will cancel it.

rj49

Post by rj49 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:59 pm

Only a fraction of Amazon's videos are free for Prime members, and they constantly try to get you to buy other movies or to even buy a DVD of the movie you're watching for free. While everything I watch on Prime is available on Netflix, only a small part of what I watch on Netflix is available for free on Prime. The higher cost of Netflix is evened out by the impulse buys and other unnecessary purchases I make on Amazon just because it's easy and free shipping. I decided I'd save more money by not having Prime, and if I really want to buy something, I'll wait until I get $25 in orders to get the free shipping anyway.

As others have mentioned, Netflix works much better across various devices, even on a computer, where the Amazon video fills a quarter of the screen and the rest with ads. The Netflix recommendation feature has also led me to a lot of new discoveries, whereas Amazon takes you to movies to buy. Finally, you pay by the year with Prime, whereas with Netflix you can stop and start streaming service, switch to DVD delivery only, or put your membership on vacation hold. The DVD delivery also gives you more options for HBO series and other things that aren't on streaming for any service.

tjstogner

Post by tjstogner » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:06 pm

After figuring out that I only watch a couple tv shows (the daily show..) and some movies, I decided to get rid of cable completely. I've been living with Hulu plus and Netflix for about 2 years now, and instead of $130/month, it's $50 for internet, and $8 a piece for netflix and hulu. All the new tv shows are on hulu, and a lot of the old tv shows are on netflix.

My only gripes: 1. hulu is not broadcast in 5.1 surround sound like Netflix is, which doesn't matter for most people. 2. hulu provides tv shows the day after they come out. At $8/month including commercials you would think it could be live broadcast...

PS I have this setup on my XBOX, which can be reproduced on a Roku (they're cheap.... $60 or so)

pointyhairedboss

Post by pointyhairedboss » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:30 pm

I briefly tried out Amazon Prime when I purchased a Kindle Fire for my mom. I was shocked out how paltry the selection is. I don't even consider it a NetFlix competitor. Its more like a trial sample.

Earlier this year, Hulu was hinting that they will eventually require its users to have a cable subscription. Content providers must be foisting this upon them. That is the only possible reason why Hulu would make such a change. This change will kill their business. I wouldn't recommend anybody signing up for a long term Hulu subscription.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403773,00.asp

ryuns

Post by ryuns » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:41 pm

I'm not a fan of Hulu Plus overall, but I find it a necessary evil. I mostly watch the Daily Show and Modern Family. Paying for Hulu Plus doesn't really earn you that much--it allows you to use Hulu on more devices and expands, slightly, the number of episodes you can access. The obnoxious and redundant commercials are the same on Hulu and Hulu Plus. If you can hook up a computer to your TV (rather than Hulu via Roku, your TV, XBox, etc), you can save the $8/mo and just use regular Hulu. Hulu's rating system, in stark contrast to Netflix's, appears to be completely worthless to me. I've tried to watch a couple 4.5 star comedies, only to find that they're the same old garbage. Netflix, I blindly trust the rating system and am rarely disappointed.

Be aware that some shows are available on their networks website as well. Be further aware that most shows are lousy, and the good ones are worth waiting to come out on Netflix so you can watch the whole season :)

If you do sign up, look for coupon codes to get a couple months free. Different freebies are sometimes available for different TV's/blu rays, so probably best just to use google and see what you turn up.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton

SpaceCommander

Post by SpaceCommander » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:44 pm

I have all three. Netflix has the best interface. I watch a lot of Prime and Netflix. Hardly ever watch Hulu. The commercials on Hulu are not short, nor few in number. Between Prime and Netflix, I've found so many really good older TV shows that I'll never catch up. Frankly, I'm not that interested in what the current broadcast TV lineup is. Dropping Hulu has been on my todo list for a while now, but I've been too lazy to do it. I'll probably drop it soon. I had been watching a series on Hulu, and then I found the same series on Prime with no commercials. So what's the point?

I had been streaming with my Tivo box, but Roku is a lot easier. Tivo is another TV service that I've started to question why I even bother. I canceled Cable a while ago and put a HD antenna on my roof and now get 25 channels crystal clear. But I just watch those for some sports and a little news. Most everything I watch is Netflix and Prime.
I honor my personality flaws, for without them I would have no personality at all.

kenyan

Post by kenyan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:58 pm

pointyhairedboss wrote:I briefly tried out Amazon Prime when I purchased a Kindle Fire for my mom. I was shocked out how paltry the selection is. I don't even consider it a NetFlix competitor. Its more like a trial sample.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403773,00.asp
That was my impression as well earlier in the year, but the content has improved by leaps and bounds since then. It's not up to what Netflix has, but it has the right kind of momentum.
Retirement investing is a marathon.

kenyan

Post by kenyan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:00 pm

SpaceCommander wrote:
I had been streaming with my Tivo box, but Roku is a lot easier. Tivo is another TV service that I've started to question why I even bother. I canceled Cable a while ago and put a HD antenna on my roof and now get 25 channels crystal clear. But I just watch those for some sports and a little news. Most everything I watch is Netflix and Prime.
Just bought a Roku for the wife for her upcoming birthday. She is a TV junkie, but maybe if she can get into streaming content I can convince her to cut the "cord" (ahem, dish) down the road.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:37 pm

Netflix DVD 3-at-a-time. Most of the shows we like to watch are not on Netflix streaming, and rather than pay more for Hulu Plus to get a few more shows we like (but certainly not all) we are still using DVDs. There are 150 discs in our DVD queue at most times, and this number has held steady for at least 7 years so we are at no risk of running out of things to watch. It works fine for us, but occasionally on long weekends or when a disk arrives with 1 one-hour episode on it instead of 4 we find ourselves with nothing to watch. Happens maybe 6 times per year which is acceptable. We do still have cable though.

Browser

Post by Browser » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:20 am

I'm a complete novice at all this video streaming stuff. Can anyone point me toward some good info sources to learn about what's available out there, necessary hardware, etc.? Right now have cable TV but would like to start using streaming and find out eventually if my needs can be met w/o cable TV, which I hate. I do have the option to pick off local network TV channels in HD using antenna hookup so that would help, but I want to have DVR capability with this source so I'm not glued to their schedule. But how the heck can I watch sports I now watch on ESPN? Any helping hand would be appreciated.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:39 am

I'm completely in the dark about Amazon Prime: I don't purchase enough from them to justify the expense, and when I do make purchases, they're usually in excess of $25 and not urgent, so I can use the free shipping. So I don't know how their streaming service works, or what it carries.

I don't view Netflix and Hulu Plus as competitors because their product doesn't have much overlap (other than it's entertainment and viewed on an electronic device, possibly via streaming). Hulu's big benefit is current TV content. If they carried Doctor Who and Archer, I'd pretty much have my non-sports TV viewing available in its entirety through them. They also have a pretty decent collection of movies and some older shows. The service strikes me as more of a competitor to TiVo than to Netflix. The commercials don't bother me; sometimes, it's just funny to watch The Bob Newhart Show (not just because it's a funny show) and see an ad for a violent video game at the break. There are persistent rumors in the press (one is mentioned elsewhere in this thread) that they're going to change or require this or that, but I don't really think that's going to happen.

Netflix is great at previous content -- tons and tons of what has been released on DVD. To the best of my knowledge, they don't have current content. I rarely sit down and watch much older stuff, and when I do, it's more background noise, such as a DVD while I'm cleaning my apartment (studio), or it's a favorite movie of mine that I have on DVD. If I decide I want to marathon a TV series that isn't carried by Hulu, I can see signing back up for that service, but I don't know when I'd be able to do that. Admittedly, I cancelled my Netflix when I was planning to focus on watching the entire runs of Buffy and Angel, only to calculate that it was cheaper to buy the DVDs online (for the estimated time it would take me to get through them).

I have a Roku and can easily connect my computer to my TV, so I'm pretty set in watching through those. I'm happy with both. If you have a laptop and TV from the past few years, you probably have HDMI out/in, and the cables are cheap (am I allowed to mention where I buy such things, provided it is legitimate and I have no monetary interest in doing so?).

As for things you (OP, or any interested party reading this) can act on: if you're thinking of cutting out cable TV, take a look at what you watch and see if it's available. If you're into sports, this can be tougher (see below for limited suggestions). If you are into non-sports, determine what you are watching: new shows? Older shows? Movies? News? Then see which of the service(s) carry what you want. For some things, it might be enough to get a Roku (you'll find tons of sales for this over the next month -- they're really pushing their holiday deals), even without Netflix/Hulu/Amazon subscription(s) -- for example, if your primary TV viewing is news (other than Jon Stewart). If you think it's something you can see doing, but aren't sure, consider trying it for a month or two before cancelling the TV subscription. Same with testing for OTA signals (especially if sports are important to you and your team(s) tend to be carried locally).

As for sports: NBC streams Sunday Night Football, which is also available over the air (as are three other games each Sunday). Monday and Thursday night's games are on cable, though. The Golf Channel has some great online content and the PGA Tour does periodic live feeds of dramatic holes at tournaments. Weekend tournament rounds are almost always available over the air. The Arena Football League broadcasts a number of games each week of their season online, including playoff games, and the Arena Bowl will be on CBS next season. That's about it for the sports I follow regularly. There are a good number of sports channels available on the Roku. Also, the MLB has a big streaming option and I think the NHL was going to offer one this season, but so much for that.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.

englishgirl

Post by englishgirl » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:39 am

I have Hulu Plus, which I upgraded to after buying a Roku box - before that, I'd been watching everything on my laptop for free. I've ended up migrating back to the laptop, because I apparently need new glasses and the TV screen seems so far away! So I might go back down to just plain old Hulu, although the plus does allow me to watch on my iPad too. And Plus has full seasons of shows, whereas regular Hulu often only has 5 episodes. I recently finished watching the entire series of X-Files (yes, all 9 seasons), which I started in the summer when I couldn't find anything I wanted to watch. I couldn't have done that on regular Hulu!

I tried out both Amazon Prime and Netflix and really didn't see anything I wanted. I mean, I want a full choice of current TV and current movies. And none of them did that and I didn't see that either Amazon or Netflix filled in the holes in what Hulu has. Plus, I've built up a lot of "favorites" in Hulu, so my queue of things to watch is updated automatically, which is good, as I don't have to remember which shows I want to see. So I have stuck with just Hulu. But it doesn't have everything, so I end up going to cbs.com and pbs.org to watch shows there too. If I could just find a way to watch HBO shows without a subscription...
Sarah

LAbob

Post by LAbob » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:41 pm

Forget them all for the next week, and watch "Borgen" online at http://www.linktv.org/borgen . A Danish TV series filled with political maneuvering and intrigue that is absolutely addictive and treats its viewers as intelligent adults. (Both seasons are being streamed for about the next week or so only.)

Ducks

Post by Ducks » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:53 pm

Drain wrote:Hulu Plus has commercials, and they're not trivial. The commercial breaks can last over a minute, and you can't skip them. Personally, I have little use for the service, but my wife watches some shows on it and that keeps our DVR's storage free for other things.
I dropped Hulu Plus because of this. I will pay for the service, or I will watch commercials, but not both. Also their lack of CBS programming was another strike against them.

I also dropped Netflix in the last year, after being their customer since 2004. We don't really watch movies, and their streaming catalog isn't the greatest any more.

I have Amazon Prime but I got it mostly for the free 2-day shipping. We've watched a couple things on their XBox app but their UI is terrible; too hard to find things.

Comcast has put their XFinity app on the XBox, and we watch TV through that and my PC's Windows Media Center streamed to the XBox 99% of the time.
Getting our Ducks in a row since 2008.

granpa

Post by granpa » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:46 pm

What speed is required to use these (and any differences among them?)
I have DSL but download measures only 1.5MB; is that sufficient? Do any of these
services/equipments provide sufficient buffering to work at this speed?
Thanks!

kenyan

Post by kenyan » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:03 pm

Depends upon whether you mean 1.5 MBps or Mbps. Capital "B" is bytes, one byte = 8 bits. Speeds are typically reported in Mbps or kbps (as opposed to memory, which is always reported in bytes, e.g. GB, MB), and 1.5 Mbps would not get you a very good HD streaming experience. 5 Mbps or better is typically recommended for the best HD streaming experience, though lower may suffice.

markelp

Post by markelp » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:42 pm

One method to make this decision would be to search for your favorite shows on http://www.clicker.com or similar search engine to see if they are available and on which service.

---Mark

German Expat

Post by German Expat » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:49 pm

granpa wrote:What speed is required to use these (and any differences among them?)
I have DSL but download measures only 1.5MB; is that sufficient? Do any of these
Thanks!
Here is the official information from Netflix. Assuming you meant 1.5 MBit you can watch but won't get DVD or HD quality. For TV shows this won't bother me too much, for newer movies it might be a different story. Not much lost, just try it, 8$ per month and you can cancel any time so not much money lost.

http://support.netflix.com/en/node/306#gsc.tab=0

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:23 pm

granpa wrote:What speed is required to use these (and any differences among them?)
Thanks!
I can't speak for Netflix or Amazon Prime, but Hulu has a free section. See what you're able to view on your computer from there at www.hulu.com
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.

Topic Author
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:40 am

Thanks for all the thoughts!

It sounds like Hulu Plus isn't worth it for us. We give our DVR a vigorous workout and rarely watch anything live, so it's hard for us to miss current shows.

I know you are all saying that NetFlix has a better interface, but I always thought it was pretty poor! As far as I can tell, you can only find something if you know the exact name. It would be about 1000x more useful to me if it had a search function. It's a giant pain for me to go drag out a laptop so that I can find the exact name of something that I think I want to watch...

Prime's movie selection has actually been pretty good, although I've only been looking at it for about a month now. I've actually considered paying a few bucks to watch a few newly released movies, which I've never considered before. Things that I missed in the theaters, don't want to buy the DVD of, but would still like to watch it sooner rather than later. When you pay to watch a movie, does anyone know how long you have to watch it? Can you pause it? Can you watch it more than once?

Looks like we'll stick with the status quo for at least the near future...

Browser

Post by Browser » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:51 am

Motivated by this thread, I went out and bought a smart blu-ray and have been experimenting with Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime. My initial reactions are that there is an enormous amount of c**p available on these, and not much of what I would like to view. Right away I discovered that two of my shows, The Voice and Survivor, are not available (Oh, wait I think Survivor is available on Amazon for $1.99 per episode - whoopee). I'm sure there are many others. Also, it is a gigantic pain in the b**t to search for anything on these. And then nothing is organized in any sensible fashion. I found that it's a lot easier to search using my computer and not the TV. With Amazon I can place something I want to watch in my Watchlist and that shows up on TV so I can select it there. That helps. But for Hulu Plus, anything I place in the Queue online with my computer doesn't show up on the TV to select for viewing. Maybe there's a way to do that that I'll discover. So far, I'm not a fan. There's no way in h**l that this can replace my cable TV. Few more days of experimenting and my blu-ray is heading back to BestBuy I'm thinking.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.

German Expat

Post by German Expat » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:57 am

You have to keep in mind that the user interfaces to Hulu / Netflix / Amazon Prime are very dependent on how the device manufacturer implements them. e.g. I don't like Netflix on my TV (Vizio) or Blue Ray Player but I am ok with the interface on the Apple TV and like it even better on the Roku.

Topic Author
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:02 am

We interface everything through an xbox 360 and it's pretty good -- at least, as good as it CAN be, I think...

jridger2011

Post by jridger2011 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:10 pm

I have been a Netflix member for several years now and I find the selection for streaming to be borderline all right. What I mean by that is some of the stuff I want to watch have issues with the cost of licensing so I have to either rent the disc version or rent it another way. I want to watch some FOX network shows, but Netflix won't have all of it. Netflix is not a complete solution in my opinion, so there needs to be another way of getting the content through cable or Amazon Prime or maybe even Hulu. Having all three is not cost effective either. I like Amazon Prime's cost of renting movies, I think it is fair.

Ducks

Post by Ducks » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:32 pm

BuckyBadger wrote:We interface everything through an xbox 360 and it's pretty good -- at least, as good as it CAN be, I think...
We've been very happy with the various XBox 360 UI's as well.

The only thing that's missing is a "Favorites" list on the XFinity app.
Getting our Ducks in a row since 2008.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:15 pm

BuckyBadger wrote:We're long time users of NetFlix, although we went to streaming only a few years ago. We recently also became Amazon Prime members. I'm trying to decide if we should keep the Prime and drop the NetFlix, or keep them both...

For me I find Amazon Prime pays for itself because of all the other benefits and I look at the Instant Videos as a free bonus. I have both Netflix and Amazon because I did away with my cable 4 years ago. I stream via the Roku box and I bought something called the MultiQs that supercharges Netflix. It is a whopping $4.99 per year so it is well worth it. MultiQs really makes my Netflix so much better becasue it enables me to see their entire selection much more easily under genre, date, etc.

I had Hulu for the free trial month and if you are more into TV it is the way to go. What turned me off to Hulu Plus was that what they have on regular Hulu which is free isn't always on Hulu Plus which you pay for. That just didn't make sense to me. I got hooked on something I was watching on my PC on Hulu and when I went to watch it on Hulu Plus on my TV it said internet only. So I dropped them.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:16 pm

Which of the three video services has the best selection of foreign films? (Either dubbed or sub-titled.)

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:20 pm

I have Netflix and enjoy it. I have considered Hulu Plus but can't pay money for a service for which I still have to watch advertisements. Netflix has some outdated movies and shows but they have lots of content overall so you can always find something.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:21 pm

VictoriaF wrote:Which of the three video services has the best selection of foreign films? (Either dubbed or sub-titled.)

Victoria
Netflix has a "foreign section" available. Not sure about the other two.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

steadyeddy

Post by steadyeddy » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:03 pm

Strike 1) Hulu+ restricts much of its content to the computer only. For instance, we could watch all seasons of a show on our computer, but only the current season on our Roku.

Strike 2) We were forced to watch the same exact commercial four times during each and every episode. This is especially obnoxious when watching several episodes of a show in a row.

Strike 3) Hulu+ streamed poorly for us with frequent rebuffering versus Netflix which never lags after loading.

Verdict: The service is simply not on par with Netflix and at a marginally higher price point. I voted with my feet.

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:19 pm

VictoriaF wrote:Which of the three video services has the best selection of foreign films? (Either dubbed or sub-titled.)
I'll admit it isn't a genre I watch much of (I do enjoy watching Kurosawa on occasions), and I haven't been on Netflix in years, nor ever on Amazon Prime. But I think Hulu has a great selection. I just am not sure how to compare it to the others (other than it has a free section). Here's a link to their International movie selection: http://www.hulu.com/movies/genres/international

The right hand arrows link to additional selections. There's also entire sections for Korean Drama, Latino, and Anime, if any of those are your thing (there's also domestic by genre). I prefer the browsing mechanism when there isn't something specific I'm looking for.

I watched plenty of movies on various forms of television when I was younger (especially Comedy Central), so the commercials don't bother me. I figure I have to pay for the content somehow, and I'd rather the occasional commercial than paying the difference in licensing fees (especially for the TV parts: current season content licensing is expensive, I'm sure).

Hexdump

Post by Hexdump » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:47 am

I am using this to try and decide, which I haven't done yet.

We have Hulu+ and probably Netflix

http://tvandmoviesnow.com/

kenyan

Post by kenyan » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:42 am

Amazon Prime does have an international section, and it *seems* have a reasonable amount of content (not something I normally watch). No idea how it compares.

paulsiu

Post by paulsiu » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:13 pm

I think each services has its plus and minuses.

Netflix is concentrated on films and has a better selection than Amazon Prime. The movies can be watched commercial free. A lot of the movies are junk, but there's a lot of good stuff on there, too. New releases don't often show up in Netflix for a while. One issue I have notice is that the licensing sometimes run out and the movie gets pulled, but that doesn't happen that often.

Unlike the other two service, Netflix also has a dvd branch where they mail out the dvd. This is actually good service for people who often forget to drop off their dvd at rentals and get a stiff penalty. Subscripting to it cost extra. the selection is better than the instant streaming.

For people who use Linux, Netflix streaming run on Silverlight, which means you won't be able to view it on a Linux box.

Hulu Plus is the service to get if you like TV and wants to stream the Criterion collection. One issue is that you have commercials.

Amazon Prime is a no brainer if you already have Amazon Prime. Their content appears to be fewer than netflixs. Their advertisement is a bit misleading because they count each individual episode as an item, so it sounds like they have a lot when they don't really have as much as they say. The other issue is that many of the stuff cost extra. So a particular movie or show is available through Amazon Prime, but you must pay a buck or two to see it.

Currently, I have Netflix. just the streaming because when I want to watch stuff, I want to watch it now and not wait for it to arrive in the mail.

Paul

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:41 pm

I don't watch much TV, but I was pretty happy with Netflix. Hulu was also ok, but I found most of my shows on Netflix.

However, I've since ditched both and only use Amazon Prime since I can't even catch up on old Tv shows that I've been meaning to watch that they have a fair number of on prime. I also order enough stuff from Amazon on prime so I'd get the prime even without the video, but given my sparse video/TV viewing, I've been very happy with Amazon prime and am still actually surprised they offer it as a free add-on to their shipping since it could stand alone on itself now. (The selection has improved a ton since even last year but is still sparse for movies. TV is very good imo.)