First Grade Philanthropist

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
catchup

First Grade Philanthropist

Post by catchup »

My son Is 6 and came up with the idea of creating pajamas with his school mascot, selling them, and donating profits to a charity.
Any ideas to help him out? Anyone have experience with clothing design, or ordering custom designed clothing? It would be a great project for him if we have the wherewithall to carry it out.

Thanks.
NYBoglehead

Re: First Grade Philanthropist

Post by NYBoglehead »

I don't know if they do pajamas or just t-shirts but Custom Ink might be a place to look. In any event congrats to your son for having a good mind for business and for having an altruistic heart.
Topic Author
catchup

Post by catchup »

Thanks for the kind words and for the tip.
dandan14

Post by dandan14 »

I love it.
Pajamas might be difficult. I've never seen those customized and it would likely be a higher price point.

Tshirts on the other hand would be a low price point and fairly simple to order. Likely $5 to order, sell at $10.

Tossing another idea out there.....(just brainstorming)

What if you rented a limo for the afternoon and let kids pay $5 to ride. Might be a fun way to raise money for a charity.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Hate to burst your bubble, DanDan. The liability associated with kids rideing around in a limo is far higher than the $5 charged to enter - not even worth thinking about.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (charity).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I've had pretty good success making do-it-yourself iron-ons using Avery T-Shirt Transfers for InkJet Printers. They cost about $10 for a package of six sheets from an office supply store. You print them on an ordinary ink-jet printer, then iron them on to the item of your choice. It does take a small amount of practice to get the ironing technique right, so add the possibility of one ruined shirt and one "slight seconds" into the cost, but it's really not too hard.

The local sports store has a proper T-shirt press and they are willing to press a transfer you provide onto any item they sell, at no extra cost. At the local sports store, that means $7 or $8 for a T-shirt.

The results look pretty good. They can be washed a few times--they will take maybe a dozen launderings, by which time the image isn't gone but is pretty faded.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
dandan14

Post by dandan14 »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:Hate to burst your bubble, DanDan. The liability associated with kids rideing around in a limo is far higher than the $5 charged to enter - not even worth thinking about.
There may be some liability....but I'm not sure it would be YOUR liability, it would fall under the limo operator.

Just brainstorming. How about a pancake breakfast. Cost is about $.25 per serving. Sell tickets for $3-$5.