GC (Gift Cards) and TC (Travelers Checks)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Dog_Papa

GC (Gift Cards) and TC (Travelers Checks)

Post by Dog_Papa » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:40 pm

Amex (American Express) TCs seem to be going the way of the Dinosaur. Many places will not take em any more. Many banks don't issue
them either. The new thing seems to be GCs. They come from Walmart, Visa & Amex. I'm sure there are many others as well.
Anybody have the lowdown on these new instruments? TC are good forever and can be replaced, or so the story goes. So, I wondering
if these new gift cards work as well as TC used to.

One major disadvantage of GCs is they can not be turned back into cash, or depoed in your bank account. Anyway, I'm just wondering
about this because the holidays are coming soon.

EagertoLearnMore

Re: GC (Gift Cards) and TC (Travelers Checks)

Post by EagertoLearnMore » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:01 pm

Recent travel in Europe and did not see any place that took traveler's checks. Most people used their ATM card to access local currency and used their credit card solely for larger purchases. Even at local restaurants most tourists seem to use local currency instead of credit card, but I did see credit card use at large hotels and hotel restaurants. After reading various travel websites, we noted that most advised travelers to bring their ATM cards.