Turning off Amazon One Click for digital content

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Saving$

Turning off Amazon One Click for digital content

Post by Saving$ » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:50 am

I find Amazon quite convenient for ordering merchandise. Now that I've switched to digital music, have a Roku, and a Kindle, I find I also order digital content.

Amazon's "One Click" option, where you simply click once to complete your order, skipping the shopping cart, payment method and delivery address concerns me - too easy to accidentally make a mistake, so I turned it off years ago. When I got my credit card statement, I saw several Amazon charges for items I did not buy. I recall perhaps looking at some of them to find out more, but am sure I did not purchase. I also do not recall getting any sort of screen or note stating I did purchase.

I found out that even if you turn off "One Click" ordering on your Amazon account, this DOES NOT turn off one click ordering for digital content.

On the Kindle - one click works by double clicking.. one click gives you more info about the item, but if you accidentally double click, it launches a "one click" purchase. Some web surfing indicates Amazon is good about reversing the purchase and refunding your money if you figure it out within 7 days, but if not you are AWOL.

The bottom line is Amazon offers no way to turn off one click ordering for digital content. Thus, there is no control over payment method, and it is too easy to accidentally purchase something you don't want. I don't like this direct line to my credit card with no opt out option except not doing business with them.

I googled around and found a blog post by a fellow who has apparently figured out a way around this. You add a second credit card to your amazon account; then you go to 1 click preferences and list that credit card as the one click preferred payment method. Then you turn off 1 click ordering, which turns it off for merchandise but leaves it on for digital content. Log out of your Amazon account. Log back into your Amazon account and go to account settings and delete the second credit card from your amazon account. Now your digital 1 click orders are tied to a credit card that is no longer tied to your account. It seems to me this results in not being able to order anything digitally, but maybe that is better than accidental ordering.

I'm trying a variation on the above. I've entered a rebate gift card that has $0 balance as one of my credit cards in my account settings. Then in one click I selected this card as my payment method. If I accidentally (or on purpose) buy digital content, the order will not go through because the payment method is invalid. When I really want to buy something, I will log into 1 click methods, temporarily select my regular credit card, make the purchase, then log back into one click and change the payment method back to the $0 balance card.

Does anyone else have a better solution? I'm hoping Amazon will fix this.

wilpat

Re: Turning off Amazon One Click for digital content

Post by wilpat » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:31 pm

I buy 3 to 4 kindle books a week from Amazon. If I make a mistake (already bought it, or accidently click the buy button) they make it really easy to get the refund.
That is the limit to my experience with Amazon digital.

I did buy a special mouse from them and to get returned was a little more trouble, but they finally did get it done.
Contrary to the belief of many, profit is not a four letter word!

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:16 pm

Upgrade to the latest version of the Kindle software and enable parental controls. See
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/ ... strictions

Calm Man

Post by Calm Man » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:44 pm

OP, I have ordered many things from Amazon. They always ask if I would like the one click option. I have always thought that no good could come of it. It seems it takes about 3 clicks otherwise, which I can handle. It will interesting to see how your fix works. Please let us know.

travelerfromsj

Post by travelerfromsj » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:46 pm

I feel your pain, Saving$. I've had a Kindle Touch for a few months now, and that's my biggest- heck, my only- complaint about it. And unfortunately, the new parental controls only seem to be available for the Kindle Fire.

My solution was to deregister my Kindle so that it's no longer connected to my Amazon account, so there's no way for me (or a potential Kindle thief) to buy anything with it. When I want to buy books, I just have to re-register it beforehand, and then deregister it afterwards. I'm still looking for an easier method.

To deregister your Kindle, use Menu/Settings/Registration.

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:13 pm

travelerfromsj wrote:I feel your pain, Saving$. I've had a Kindle Touch for a few months now, and that's my biggest- heck, my only- complaint about it. And unfortunately, the new parental controls only seem to be available for the Kindle Fire.
It appears that you have a week to return Kindle books for a full refund. So if you have a e-ink Kindle, you'd just need to check your purchases once or twice a week to make sure you haven't done anything by mistake. The tablet Kindles have a much greater need for the parental controls since there is no refund for media purchases.

I have the Kindle app on my phone and non-Amazon tablet. I don't buy anything inside the app, I use the website and have it pushed out to the apps.

zlltt

Post by zlltt » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:00 pm

For at least 3-4 times ,

I was mislead by this 1 - click setting.

I need double confirm with a order summary like how much total after tax, if the promotion credits applied, or gift card was used as first payment,

like a usual online shopping order.

but Amazon don't give the option.

Can we sue amazon?