Confession + POLL: I succumbed to an iPad mini

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Will you be buying an iPad mini?

Poll ended at Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:15 pm

Yes
8%
No
81%
Maybe
9%
Other (please explain if you wish to)
2%

Total votes: 173

rr2

Confession + POLL: I succumbed to an iPad mini

Post by rr2 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:15 pm

I confess.

I have been lusting for a small tablet for a long time. I loved the iPad (wife has one) but just did not want the big size. I pre-ordered the iPad mini on Friday. I have succumbed to gadget desire ;)

POLL Question: How many of you will be getting an Apple iPad mini?

magicmom

Re: Confession + POLL: I succumbed to an iPad mini

Post by magicmom » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:29 pm

Not me.

chaz

Post by chaz » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:33 pm

I love my iPad - it's not too big.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:46 pm

I did too. It's completely out of character for me to jump on a new gadget, but I knew I was going to succumb so I figured I might as well go ahead and indulge immediately. I've never owned a tablet before; I've been waiting for this one since the iPad came out but unfortunately Steve Jobs and the industry analysts didn't believe I existed. I was planning to order the white one but that sold out instantaneously and after so many years of ipad envy I didn't feel I could wait another two whole weeks, so I ordered a black one.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:49 pm

I have a bunch of Apple gift cards from TD Ameritrades last promotion and am trying to decide between the big ipad with the retina display or the mini. Leaning towards the biggie but not yet comitted.

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:56 pm

I TOTALLY do not get the iPad mini. I have both an iPhone (currently iPhone4 and will soon replace it with the slightly larger iPhone5, that is on the way) and an iPad3 ("The New iPad"). One is smallish and one is biggish. What would I do with one in the middle that I cannot easily do now with small or big?
Last edited by Leesbro63 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:57 pm

hicabob wrote:I have a bunch of Apple gift cards from TD Ameritrades last promotion and am trying to decide between the big ipad with the retina display or the mini. Leaning towards the biggie but not yet comitted.

I won't get either, but my son preordered (or said he would 2 minutes after Tim Cook announced it on Tuesday) the big iPad with the retina display. He was so happy that the mini wasn't the only new iPad.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:01 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:I TOTALLY do not get the iPad mini.

I go by the Goldilocks creed. Not too high, not too low, but in the middle is just right; not too hot, not too cold, but in the middle is just right; not too hard, not too soft, but in the middle is just right; and not too big, not too small, but in the middle is just right.

I use it for tvs, cars, dinners, asset allocations, and lots of other things. Why wouldn't I use it for a display for looking at things?

The fact that you already have big and small is irrelevant to someone with neither.

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:03 pm

No, but I did order an iPod touch 5th generation from Amazon. The form factor is much more portable. It has the same camera specs, Siri, and it has a much smaller but in some ways better retina display. I don't want to be tied to the contracts that come with most smart phones. Our current cell phone is only $5 per month with Virgin Mobile. This device is similar to a smart phone but with wifi only, no 3G/4G. Been spending some time importing my music collection into iTunes in preparation.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:17 pm

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kelmscott

Post by Kelmscott » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:01 pm

I was going to buy one. I monitored the rumors daily, for weeks, really, in anticipation. Unfortunately, the pricing changed my mind. I was really disappointed.

After hearing raves from lots of folks, I ended up buying a 32gb Nexus 7. My first Android device. I was a bit nervous, but you know what? It's an awesome little machine. The OS is smooth and easy and it's super convenient to sync with all things Google. It's so close to my iPhone's set up that it was a breeze to learn. It's really polished, the resolution is crisp and it's super speedy. And frankly, I like the Nexus' smaller size, I can just use one hand to hold it and it fits in a pocket. Not sure that's possible with the Mini.

The price was right: $249 for 32gb with WiFi. An iPad Mini with Wi-Fi and 32gb would have set me back $429. I'm sure the iPad Mini is a wonderful thing, but I couldn't rationalize the price difference. (I am a Boglehead, you know.)

Anyway, if folks are undecided, snoop around on the internet and read some of the comparisons between the 2 products. It may surprise you. I'm seriously considering ditching my iPhone and getting an Android when my contract's up. And I LOVE my iPhone! Who woulda thunk?

rr2

Post by rr2 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:10 pm

My only experience with Android was a Vizio Tablet 8" which I bought about a year ago. I really liked the form factor 4:3 and do not like any of the Android 7" tablets which just appear to be to skinny in portrait mode. The other issue with the Vizio was that it ran the Android OS really, really slowly. Further Web browsers tended to crash all the time. The interface would then freeze up and become unusable for 10 secs or so. It has become really painful to use. It does videos reasonably well using stand alone Apps such as Moboplayer etc. It is possible that the Vizio is extremely under powered and that newer Android tablets such as the Nexus are much better.

rr2

Post by rr2 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:15 pm

Kelmscott wrote:The price was right: $249 for 32gb with WiFi. An iPad Mini with Wi-Fi and 32gb would have set me back $429. I'm sure the iPad Mini is a wonderful thing, but I couldn't rationalize the price difference. (I am a Boglehead, you know.)

How were you able to buy this? It has not been released yet.

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:20 pm

rr2 wrote:
Kelmscott wrote:The price was right: $249 for 32gb with WiFi. An iPad Mini with Wi-Fi and 32gb would have set me back $429. I'm sure the iPad Mini is a wonderful thing, but I couldn't rationalize the price difference. (I am a Boglehead, you know.)

How were you able to buy this? It has not been released yet.

I was wondering about that myself. You can get the original 16gb version with WIFI for $249.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

Kelmscott

Post by Kelmscott » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:29 pm

Yeah, crazy, huh?

I found it on the site of a retailer in NYC. I couldn't believe it when I saw it, but I put in my cart and shockingly the transaction went through. And I received it yesterday. Apparently it happened a few weeks ago to some folks who ordered from Staples, too. They were able to receive them before the store or Google noticed. Both sites now have posted a release date of 10/29, unfortunately, so someone put the kibosh on the early release.

But, yes, it's a 32 gb and it was $249. :happy

Kelmscott

Post by Kelmscott » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:34 pm

RR2, you should definitely check out the Nexus 7. It's faster than my iPhone. And just as smooth. No freezing, sputtering. Nada. It's running the latest version of Jelly Bean. I honestly can't tell the difference between the 2 operating systems. Except the iOS menu button is missing at the buttom of the tablet. On the Nexus it's on the screen instead. That's taking some getting used to. I like the slimmer size because I'm finding I can use my left thumb quite easily, not sure if that would be possible with the Mini. But check it out, see what you think.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:00 pm

The reason I will not be buying an iPad mini is that a couple of months ago my wife and I bought the (old, original, $200) Kindle Fires.

Phooey. Double Phooey. Wish I'd waited. (And I don't mean... waited for the new Kindle Fire).
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

The Kindle Fires are sorta OK. They sorta well, you know, do pretty much what we bought them for. But I keep discovering new little glitches and rough edges almost every day. Here's the latest: I am reading in bed with the lights out, so I turn down the brightness to a comfortable level. The next day, I'm sitting on the platform waiting for a train, under an awning in shady daylight, and I turn on my Kindle.

I can't see a thing. In particular, I can't see the brightness control.

No ambient light sensor. No auto brightness. Had to make a little tent out of my jacket and stick my head under it like an Old Tyme photographer looking at a groundglass.

Also the Wi-Fi is unreliable. Also, although the on-screen keyboard is about five times as big as the one on my iPod Touch, for some reason I make about ten times as many typos. Also, the power-off button is ergonomically placed in the precise position where my thumb is most likely to hit it by accident while holding my Kindle. They must have done extensive human factors research to locate the exact worst spot that accurately.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

My only hope is that the thing won't be durable and will die, so I'll be able to buy an iPad Mini.
Last edited by nisiprius on Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:08 pm

nisiprius wrote:The reason I will not be buying an iPad mini is that a couple of months ago my wife and I bought the (old, original, $200) Kindle Fires.

Can we talk about sunk costs?

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:10 pm

sscritic wrote:
nisiprius wrote:The reason I will not be buying an iPad mini is that a couple of months ago my wife and I bought the (old, original, $200) Kindle Fires.

You mean, I should try dropping it in the toilet and then tell my wife that it won't turn on and I don't know why?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:16 pm

nisiprius wrote:
sscritic wrote:

You mean, I should try dropping it in the toilet and then tell my wife that it won't turn on and I don't know why?

If that's the only way you can justify buying an iPad mini that you really want, absolutely! :)

P.S. That's what happened to my iPod (classic, I guess), but it wasn't intentional. And I do know why it won't turn on.

nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:23 pm

sscritic wrote:
nisiprius wrote:
sscritic wrote:
If that's the only way you can justify buying an iPad mini that you really want, absolutely! :) P.S. That's what happened to my iPod (classic, I guess), but it wasn't intentional. And I do know why it won't turn on.
The price of a classic collectible original Kindle Fire is certain to go up, I'll sell when it gets to $329.
Last edited by nisiprius on Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rr2

Post by rr2 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:24 pm

nisiprius wrote:
sscritic wrote:

Sunk!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSaQx1jgM-I

BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:38 pm

Not on the Apple bandwagon -- I'm an Android girl.

I have a Nexus 7 and I love love love it. And it was only $199.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:49 pm

BuckyBadger wrote:Not on the Apple bandwagon -- I'm an Android girl.

As a good boglehead, you should be looking for the best products at the best prices that meet your needs. My son, who knows much more about these things than I, has a Galaxy Nexus phone, a Google TV, and uses Google voice for telecommunications and Chrome as his browser. He also thinks that Apple makes the best laptops and wants the new iPad (as previously mentioned). One thing he likes is that the iPad has apps designed for it; if he went Android, he would just get scaled up versions of the apps on his phone. From a recent article:
Despite the better specifications, innovative form factors, and recently improved Jelly Bean experience, the one area that seems to hold back Android tablets is the lack of optimised apps – that’s a field where Apple’s ecosystem excels. By comparison, the Play Store still lacks a dedicated tablet section to make it easier for users to find apps tailored for bigger touch screens.

Yam the Bomb

Post by Yam the Bomb » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:55 pm

When the iPad 2 came out, Verizon did a silent blowout sale of iPad 1s. They sold ALL sizes (16,32, and 64 gig) all at the same price of $299. I scooped up several of them and wish I would have bought hundreds.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:12 pm

Don't own any Apple products; never have.

I used to be an early adopter of technology - bought a Casio handheld "pocket computer" when they first came out in 1996 and people would say "what is that??" I bought it because it filled a need - I wanted a handheld device I could keep in my pocket to look up phone numbers, take notes, keep data, etc. I then upgraded to the beautiful form factor and smooth OS of the Palm Vx when they were released, then Palm Treo Phone as that served the desire to combine the phone with the handheld. Later it was a Blackberry I used for 5 years - it combined everything from all the other devices with email. Now I have an Android phone that does everything all the previous devices did plus allow me to get on the internet any time I want.

For travel, I've got a 3 or 4 year old netbook, It's small form factor is perfect, and the keyboard is great.

I am no longer yearning for any specific functionality that I don't get with devices I have, so I see no reason to buy a tablet.

roymeo

Post by roymeo » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:12 pm

Steve Jobs already determined the optimum size for our devices, you don't need a smaller iPad.
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo

roymeo

Post by roymeo » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:25 pm

sscritic wrote:
BuckyBadger wrote:Not on the Apple bandwagon -- I'm an Android girl.

As a good boglehead, you should be looking for the best products at the best prices that meet your needs. My son, who knows much more about these things than I, has a Galaxy Nexus phone, a Google TV, and uses Google voice for telecommunications and Chrome as his browser. He also thinks that Apple makes the best laptops and wants the new iPad (as previously mentioned). One thing he likes is that the iPad has apps designed for it; if he went Android, he would just get scaled up versions of the apps on his phone. From a recent article:
Despite the better specifications, innovative form factors, and recently improved Jelly Bean experience, the one area that seems to hold back Android tablets is the lack of optimised apps – that’s a field where Apple’s ecosystem excels. By comparison, the Play Store still lacks a dedicated tablet section to make it easier for users to find apps tailored for bigger touch screens.

How many Fart Noise apps that have had their graphics redone do I need, again?

I don't think this is very true. Partially because Android screens have come in many sizes for quite a while, whereas until recently there were only a couple of iOS screen resolutions. Developers of iOS apps had it easy, Android developers had to be more clever about a whole range of possibilities.
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:32 pm

I voted no because I just bought the iPad 4 or as Apple calls it the iPad with Retina display. I like the larger screen.
Best Wishes, | Joe

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:53 pm

roymeo wrote:
sscritic wrote: From a recent article:

I don't think this is very true. Partially because Android screens have come in many sizes for quite a while, whereas until recently there were only a couple of iOS screen resolutions. Developers of iOS apps had it easy, Android developers had to be more clever about a whole range of possibilities.

I took that from an Android oriented web site. You even admit it is more difficult to develop for the mixed size Android ecosystem. So what part is not "very true"? (I can't help thinking of "a little pregnant").

I found the quote on Android.AppStorm
http://android.appstorm.net/roundups/aw ... -the-ipad/

P.S. I found it the first time by googling; I found it the second by googling for the first twelve words in the quote.
http://www.google.com/search?client=saf ... 8&oe=UTF-8

There are four references to Android.AppStorm (all on Android.AppStorm or its Facebook page) before the first reference to this thread (at least in my version of google).

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:54 pm

I already own the iPad 3 so no for me. Happy with my iPad.

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:01 pm

SpringMan wrote:No, but I did order an iPod touch 5th generation from Amazon.

I received my touch today from Amazon, and after owning a Gen3 touch for three years, I have to say I'm SIGNIFICANTLY impressed by this new version. The cameras and videos are excellent, the screen beautiful, and its noticeably lighter and thinner. But it's Siri feature is amazing, and fast. I say "directions to Phoenix" and a few seconds later a map appears and turn by turn directions are available from my home, which the map (how do it know?) correctly shows. But even more interesting is to say "email" and create the body (I didn't try to To or Subject) of the email by accurate speech to text, and this feature is also available in the note app. Of course, I believe it requires a wi-fi connection, and its been around in other devices for years, but still.

It's my Apple Mini that fits in my shorts pockets!
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 12-time loser

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:19 pm

I bought a Nexus 7 a couple of months ago primarily as a toy to keep my son occupied on airplanes and long car trips. It works fine for that purpose, but I haven't found much other use for it. There's no way I would spend iPad money on such a device.

NorCalDad

Post by NorCalDad » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:38 pm

Love Apple products, but I've never been able to justify the iPad because our other devices get the job done. Still get plenty of use out of our 4-year-old MacBook Pro and will keep our iPhones until they die.

thebogledude

Post by thebogledude » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:05 am

Paid $$$ for an off contract iphone 4S which I am glad I did. No budget for an ipad mini.

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:07 am

My husband likes his nexus 7. It's a nice device. When my ipad mini arrives next week we'll see whether either or both of us think the ipad mini is worth the extra money.

rj49

Post by rj49 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:20 am

SpringMan wrote:No, but I did order an iPod touch 5th generation from Amazon. The form factor is much more portable. It has the same camera specs, Siri, and it has a much smaller but in some ways better retina display. I don't want to be tied to the contracts that come with most smart phones. Our current cell phone is only $5 per month with Virgin Mobile. This device is similar to a smart phone but with wifi only, no 3G/4G. Been spending some time importing my music collection into iTunes in preparation.

I also one of the new ipod touches instead. They look nice, with various color options and are easy to take anywhere (for those like me without a smartphone). The larger screen also makes it possible to read ebooks, especially with the super-sharp Retina display (something the mini doesn't have). It also works a bit better for all the games designed for the iphone, whereas the mini screen might be more limiting for games like Scrabble I like on the big ipad screen. The ipod touch also has the same camera now as the iphone 4, so it not only works as a take-anywhere reader/game player/music player/email checker (where wifi is available), but also works as an unbelievably light point-and-shoot camera.

magicmom

Post by magicmom » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:19 am

nisiprius wrote:
sscritic wrote:

I'll take it off your hands.....It can mysteriously disappear.

ElJay

Post by ElJay » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:56 am

I've had a Blackberry Playbook since it came out and I'm really happy with it. I have no interest in Apple's version of it. To me Apple has become the Toyota of technology. People just buy it because it's from Apple without testing anything else.

richard

Post by richard » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:47 am

roymeo wrote:Steve Jobs already determined the optimum size for our devices, you don't need a smaller iPad.

Steve Jobs consistently argued against products that Apple was not selling. When Apple started selling any of those products, he argued they were wonderful (and ignored his prior opposition).

Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:55 am

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:13 am

ElJay wrote: To me Apple has become the Toyota of technology. People just buy it because it's from Apple without testing anything else.

As far as I know Apple's market shares are not constant across music players, tablets, desktops, laptops, and smart phones. The numbers keep changing, but Apple's share of the tablet market is around 60% while their share of US computer sales is around 12% (5% of worldwide computer sales). Other estimates are smartphones 17% and music players 75%. Clearly a lot of people buy Apple for this and something else for that, or should I say something else for this and Apple for that. Most people buy what makes sense for them, and while brands are important, there are a lot of other factors.

Full disclosure: I own a Toyota and several Apple products. I think you even have your Toyota claim wrong. I bought my Toyota 14 years ago when the proportion of US sales of cars and light trucks were GM 29.4, Ford 24.8, Chrysler 16.1, Toyota 8.8, and others. People bought GMs without testing anything else, not Toyotas.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:14 am

Sam I Am wrote:I love, or should say, loved my Android-based HTC Incredible phone, until I ran it over with my power wheelchair Friday. I might be able to salvage it by replacing the screen using my wife's old phone. The poor phone had been dropped so many times it had ugly battle scars on the case. And, I broke so many protective covers it was crazy.

this story reminded me that my all-time favorite phone was a Nokia 6310 I had when I lived in Europe. This thing ran for 2+ weeks on a single charge. It was nearly indestructible. Dropping it was routine and never caused more than a scratch. I once accidentally ran over it with my Volvo S60 without any damage.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:30 am

jebmke wrote:
Sam I Am wrote:I love, or should say, loved my Android-based HTC Incredible phone, until I ran it over with my power wheelchair Friday. I might be able to salvage it by replacing the screen using my wife's old phone. The poor phone had been dropped so many times it had ugly battle scars on the case. And, I broke so many protective covers it was crazy.

this story reminded me that my all-time favorite phone was a Nokia 6310 I had when I lived in Europe. This thing ran for 2+ weeks on a single charge. It was nearly indestructible. Dropping it was routine and never caused more than a scratch. I once accidentally ran over it with my Volvo S60 without any damage.

What about damage to the Volvo? 8-)

englishgirl

Post by englishgirl » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:44 am

I expect that I will go to the store on the first day and buy one. I was going to pre-order one on Friday but the white ones were already backordered so I figured I'd take my chances getting one in person.

I've been waiting for a smaller iPad since they first came out. I have no interest in the bigger ones, as I don't think they'd be as good for reading and besides, I want something I can throw in a handbag. I had an earlier Kindle, which I loved, and then sold it when I was given a Kindle Fire. I do not love the Kindle Fire. The screen is too small, browsing is jerky and slow, and I've hardly downloaded any apps. When the new Kindles came out, I toyed with the idea of getting a different one - perhaps a Kindle Paperwhite, and I figured I could give up on the idea of a tablet because my MacBook works pretty darn well for surfing. But a friend got a Kindle Paperwhite and loves it, and let me play with it. And I thought...meh. I want a tablet that does more than just displays black and white text. So then when the pricing of the iPad mini was leaked and it was more money than I wanted to spend I thought maybe I'll just upgrade my Kindle Fire to an HD. Maybe that'll be fine. But you know what? I'd always be thinking the Fire HD was a poor substitute for an iPad mini, so why not spend the extra $130 and be done with it. At least for a year or two.

My remaining concerns - is the screen display sharp enough without using the Retina display? Is book buying going to get annoying? I understand you cannot buy Kindle books from the Kindle app for iPad. So you have to buy them separately from a computer. And you can't borrow from the Amazon Prime lending library (not that I have done that every month, and I might just end up giving up Amazon Prime anyway, but still). I guess I could buy iBooks, but then my library will be split 3 ways over paper, Kindle and iBooks, and I'm not sure how well that'll work.

Edit/PS: Nisi, did you know that Amazon has a trade-in program, as well as allowing you to sell used electronics? Trade in is the easiest, but you get less money (and you get it in the form of an Amazon gift card/credit). They are currently giving $46.25 for trading in a Kindle Fire. OK, so you're out $153 for the few months you've owned it, but even $46 is better than a kick in the teeth...
Sarah

SP-diceman

Post by SP-diceman » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:44 am

Nope.

Heck, I haven’t even succumbed to the cell phone!

:)

Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:00 pm

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goodbishop

Post by goodbishop » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:50 pm

When you compare the iPad mini vs the Nexus 7, the iPad mini has a larger screen (7.9" vs 7"), but the rest of the statistics seem to be in favor of the Nexus 7.

http://asia.cnet.com/ipad-mini-vs-nexus ... 219243.htm <-- for statistics

Really, it's the price point. $249 for the 32 GB model of the Nexus 7 vs $429 for the 32 GB model of the iPad mini. Geez. Plus, supposedly on Monday Google was going to announce the 32 GB Nexus 7 as well as a 3G model, but that event was canceled due to the hurricane.

I'm going to be getting a Nexus 7 as well as a Nexus 10. I'm Android all the way - the OS just keeps getting better and better.

Plus, in other cool news, I won a sweet smartphone the other day that is slightly better than the specs on the iPhone 4S, worth $380, and am getting my wife signed up on a plan that's 60 bucks cheaper a month. Woo!

Tabulator

Post by Tabulator » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:57 pm

Sam I Am wrote:
SP-diceman wrote:Nope.

Heck, I haven’t even succumbed to the cell phone!

:)

Good for you! As most of us have found, embracing technology can be a slippery slope to wasted time, money, and effort.

Amen to all of this. All I need is a Chromebook for the internet, a cheapo LG phone for texting, and a 1990s film camera (built like a tank).

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:02 pm

englishgirl wrote:I've been waiting for a smaller iPad since they first came out. I have no interest in the bigger ones, as I don't think they'd be as good for reading and besides, I want something I can throw in a handbag. I had an earlier Kindle, which I loved, and then sold it when I was given a Kindle Fire. I do not love the Kindle Fire. The screen is too small, browsing is jerky and slow, and I've hardly downloaded any apps. When the new Kindles came out, I toyed with the idea of getting a different one - perhaps a Kindle Paperwhite, and I figured I could give up on the idea of a tablet because my MacBook works pretty darn well for surfing. But a friend got a Kindle Paperwhite and loves it, and let me play with it. And I thought...meh. I want a tablet that does more than just displays black and white text. So then when the pricing of the iPad mini was leaked and it was more money than I wanted to spend I thought maybe I'll just upgrade my Kindle Fire to an HD. Maybe that'll be fine. But you know what? I'd always be thinking the Fire HD was a poor substitute for an iPad mini, so why not spend the extra $130 and be done with it. At least for a year or two.

My remaining concerns - is the screen display sharp enough without using the Retina display? Is book buying going to get annoying? I understand you cannot buy Kindle books from the Kindle app for iPad. So you have to buy them separately from a computer. And you can't borrow from the Amazon Prime lending library (not that I have done that every month, and I might just end up giving up Amazon Prime anyway, but still). I guess I could buy iBooks, but then my library will be split 3 ways over paper, Kindle and iBooks, and I'm not sure how well that'll work.

Since you are already a Kindle user, you really should take a look at the Nexus 7. It's much faster and smoother than the Kindle Fire and you can use the standard Kindle App which gives you full access to all your existing Kindle books and direct ordering of new ones. The screen is the same size as the Fire, but it's much higher resolution so text is much sharper than the Fire (and the iPad Mini). Also, the new iPad is enough wider that, while you can hold it with one hand, you'll need the other to manipulate any of the controls. The Mini's width was determined by Apple's need to keep the same aspect ratio as the full-size tablet since - unlike Android apps - Apple apps only work at a fixed resolution.