Recommendations for Heated Mattress Pad

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dratkinson

Recommendations for Heated Mattress Pad

Post by dratkinson » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:49 pm

(Prompted by our recent snow. Glad I'm not on the NE coast.)

A quick search didn't find this previously discussed.

My old electric blanket died after many years of being a disappointment and I'm looking to replace it. My neighbor says a heated mattress pad it better---baking as opposed to broiling, or something like that.

Do any of you have recommendations on preferred brands? ...or brands to avoid?

Any options worth looking into? Separate heating zones (left/right of bed)? Variated heading zones head-to-foot (warmer foot zone)?

If you've used both (electric blanket and heated mattress pad), which did you prefer?

If it matters, my current pajamas are sweats and wool socks. Don't really want to raise the house over-night setback temp. Don't really want to continue running an electric heater in a closed-off bedroom. Would much prefer sleeping in a toasty bed with my nose sticking out in the cool night air of an open bedroom. :)

Anything else I didn't think of?

/r
David

P.S. When I get a chance to swing by the public library (after I finish current book), I'll check Consumers Reports.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

roymeo

Re: Recommendations for Heated Mattress Pad

Post by roymeo » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:54 pm

The 12-volt heated mattress pad we have in our teardrop trailer is the BEST. Heat is applied below you and then in rises so you don't need as much as a blanket sitting on top of you. Really nice to turn the pad on 15 minutes before crawling into bed when you're camped on the coast. It really takes the chill out of the entire bed.
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo

AAA

Post by AAA » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:52 pm

I'm also considering this but am usually dissuaded by the reviews I read on places like Amazon.

ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:29 pm

dual controls!
Last edited by ABQ4804 on Sat May 05, 2018 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

sport

Post by sport » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:12 pm

Our local Costco has both heated pads and blankets. I have no experience with the pad, but the Sunbeam blanket is excellent. It has dual zones, auto shutoff, and a preheat setting. I would expect the pad to be a similar high quality product. IMO either will work fine. It is a matter of preference. My preference is the blanket because, in addition to the various heat settings, I can pull it up a little more or push it down a little to "fine tune" my comfort level.
Jeff

brianH

Post by brianH » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:13 pm

I put my electric blanket under the bed sheet when I make the bed. With a thick, flannel bed sheet, the coils in the blanket are almost unnoticeable. You could do 2 twins on a queen/king to get dual zones. Personally, I just use a single twin on my king bed, as I'm (usually :twisted: ) the only one in there.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:28 pm

We have a heated mattress pad made by Sealy with an auto off feature (automatically turns off after 10 hours on one setting). My wife found it online at the JCPenney website. Has dual controls for the queen or king size and works very well. Years ago we had a heated blankets, but much prefer the heated mattress pad.
Tom D.

Topic Author
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:58 pm

In researching some of your links, I've learned something good, some mattress pads can be had with the wiring connections on the head, not the foot. This will keep wires off the floor and help me with another project... making a *pet-friendly home.
  • *It was always a problem for me just vacuum among those (electric blanket) wires and not getting the vacuum head tangled. Would not want a pet tangled in them.
I'm thinking about adopting one of those little floor-cleaning robot vacuums. "Sic 'em boy, get those dust bunnies." :)
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

jjustice

Post by jjustice » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:59 pm

I just looked, and our mattress pad is Westpoint Stevens. We just bought what a department store had several years ago. We love it. It has separate left/right controls, more warming at the foot, and turns off at some point--maybe 10 hours. I think that mattress pads are much better than electric blankets.

John

Carl53

Post by Carl53 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:13 pm

We had a Sunbeam heated mattress pad. Lasted only a few years. Now have an electric blanket by "living quarters" that my side died after a year or two. Personally, I did not care for the zoned functionality of the mattress pad and sometimes woke up with my top side cool. Just pull on another quilt works as good as it ever did.