Windows 8: Are you upgrading?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
RooseveltG

Windows 8: Are you upgrading?

Post by RooseveltG » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:02 am

I switched to the Mac platform a year ago but still use Parallels/Windows to run Quicken. I would normally jump to upgrade Windows 7 to 8 but the reviews and learning curve have dissuaded me.

If you use Windows are you upgrading?

Thanks.

Roosevelt.

jebmke

Re: Windows 8: Are you upgrading?

Post by jebmke » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:20 am

I am not. I am a "late adopter." I prefer to let things settle a bit. I still run XP on one old box. On my own devices I never change the OS until SP1 is released.

I also do tech support for a volunteer organization -- about 50 laptops. We use a mix of mostly W7 and a few XP machines. We will leave the XP machines alone and let them die off naturally and continue to maintain W7 as our standard.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

dwc13

Post by dwc13 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:42 am

I don't currently have the hardware (touchscreen) to take advantage of Windows 8 (formerly) Metro interface, nor do I have a Windows 8 Phone, so I don't see any compelling reason to upgrade from Windows 7 at this time. Windows 7 is very solid and things are working well on the desktop. The two interfaces that are a part of Windows 8 -- Desktop and (formerly) Metro -- are not fully integrated with each other at this point and switching between them might not be seamless. Finally, I have a few older pieces of hardware for which Windows 8 drivers might not be available until a later date, if ever.

While I don't think this will be a repeat of the Windows Vista lauch all over again, I'm going to wait for Windows 8.1 / 8 SE / 9 / whatever the next major Windows release is called before upgrading.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:55 am

I have no plans to upgrade as I see no compelling benefits for me personally.

mhc

Post by mhc » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:16 am

I bought a Windows 7 laptop this summer so I can avoid Windows 8 as long as possible. I use Windows 7 at work and at home. I like having the same OS in both environments.

At home most of my PC experience is using an internet browser. I'm not sure how Windows 8 would help that experience.

Dan-Fl

Post by Dan-Fl » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:19 am

I don't see the need at this moment. I believe I am heading more to Google Chrome OS.
Dan

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:25 am

Ca't see any reason to.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

cjking

Post by cjking » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:18 am

I probably will upgrade now, because I believe the price will be raised after January 31.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:32 am

Don't see any compelling reason to "fix" what isn't broke (Windows 7).
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

StillTired

Post by StillTired » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:10 am

DP plans on getting a Surface in the new year. I assume we'll reevaluate after then for the rest of our machines. He actually has one machine that has a pre-realease copy of Windows 8 already installed but he hasn't been using it. He does say that there is not the performance concern about upgrading this time (your performance will not go down on an older computer) so that's something.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:11 am

8 is an even number. Historically, even numbered MS operating systems have been worse than average.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:12 am

NO! Uggg Cant stand the Metro interface on a non touch screen pc.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

midareff

Post by midareff » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:19 am

I was happy with XP but was "forced" to go to Win7 to keep up with camera processing software which changes to accomodate newer cameras if you shoot raw. The latest Adobe Lightroom won't run on XP so I had to upgrade to 7. I may upgrade a Dell Duo which has a touch screen to 8 but I'm not in a hurry. .. maybe in the spring.

Dibbels81

Post by Dibbels81 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:36 am

I will be. I've read quite favorable reviews, and the price tag for upgrade is only $40. However, I'm one of the few people left in the world still running Vista, so I'm overdue for an upgrade.

Ryan_in_Chi

Post by Ryan_in_Chi » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:15 am

Nope. I don't see the hoopla over any of there OS upgrades. I don't use an OS. I use software ontop of the OS. A web browser (Chrome typically), Word, Excel, Outlook, Picasa. Upgrading to Windows 8 isn't going to change any of these programes. So why?

Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:23 am

Epsilon Delta wrote:8 is an even number. Historically, even numbered MS operating systems have been worse than average.

:D Well, that's one way of looking at it!

Rick Ferri
The views expressed by Rick Ferri are strictly his own as a private investor and author and do not reflect the views of any entity or other persons.

tetractys

Post by tetractys » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:36 am

The reviews aren't very positive. This may all go the way of Zune, with it's various aspects being integrated and renamed into other products later on. -- Tet

Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:16 pm

I may upgrade, but my PC at home is still running Vista, and it's getting a little sad.

But I may hedge my bets by getting the "8 Pro" edition, which actually had downgrade rights so I can install Win 7 (which I really like) if I want.

That being said, we'd be talking about a living room computer shared between me and the wife, Win 8 might be pretty appropriate, although the lack of a default desktop kind of scares me.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:19 pm

I won't upgrade my existing desktop but my next computer will have Windows 8 on it.

chaz

Post by chaz » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:21 pm

I like my Windows 7.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Confused

Post by Confused » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:24 pm

[Blanked for privacy]
Last edited by Confused on Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:41 pm

I like Andorid for my phones and tablets, and I like plain old vanilla Windows 7 for my desktops and laptops.

Windows 8 freaks me out. If I want tiles and apps I'll stick with my touchscreen devices.

However, the chromebook looks interesting...

linguini

Post by linguini » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:48 pm

Yes. I tried out the release candidate on one of my computers, and I find it compelling enough that I intend to follow through with the one that is still running Windows 7 at some point. I found that it works really well with the touch screen, and mostly the same as Windows 7 if I am using just a keyboard and mouse and not running a Windows Store app. Of course, the macbook is staying as is.

Confused, just so you know, multitasking, task manager, control panel, add/remove programs, file explorer, and command prompt are all available in Windows 8, Windows 8 runs the same or faster than Windows 7 depending on what you're doing, and all Windows 7 programs open in a Windows 7-like desktop and can use multiple windows exactly the same way they do on Windows 7. From a user perspective, if you don't use any apps from the Windows Store, the only major difference is the start screen. I am not recommending that you personally make the upgrade, though. It sounds as if you've gotten really used to Windows 7 and don't really want any major changes because you are satisfied with what you have. That's fair, but I do want to reassure other posters that from my personal experience, Windows 8 can be used in the same way as Windows 7 if that's all you want out of it. (Of course, if that's all you want out of it, there's probably no hugely compelling reason to upgrade.)

FlyHi

Post by FlyHi » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:57 pm

Windows 7 gives me everything I need so there is no reason to buy Windows 8.
“If you want to feel rich, just count the things you have that money can't buy”

brianH

Post by brianH » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:04 pm

No. Strike that, heck no.

I don't like the direction Microsoft is trying to move with locking down applications (in Metro) to only those sold through their store. In addition to functional limitations, if you write software, MS wants a 30% cut of your money just for being there. As someone who programs primairly in the MS ecosystem, I find this trend worrying. If they see large success with the Metro model, I'm sure they'll want to further remove functionality from what one typically thinks of as Windows (desktop).

To be fair, I do have it installed on my laptop and in a virtual machine for testing/familiarization purposes. I've been using it since the Dev Preview (about a year), and I find the bi-polar nature of it to be annoying and distracting. I'm torn on how an basic/average user might find it. One one hand it does make certain things a bit more friendly and integrated, but on the other, it fundamentally changes workflows to which the user is already accustomed. I suppose we'll all know in a year or two.

Default User BR

Post by Default User BR » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:17 pm

I don't even like Win 7 very much. I have been resisting a computer refresh at work (passive resistance, I ignore their emails) because I prefer to stay with XP. I do have 7 at home.

Brian
Last edited by Default User BR on Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ejvyas

Post by ejvyas » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:25 pm

Should be a poll!!

No I am not upgrading unless I get a free license :twisted:

Clearly_Irrational

Post by Clearly_Irrational » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:52 pm

Not at the moment.

1) I never use Microsoft products before the first service pack, before that you're just a beta tester who pays for the privilege.

2) I don't see any compelling features that would make me want to upgrade (I only moved to Windows 7 from XP because XP didn't support DX11)

3) I don't like some of their new design decisions

4) This will probably be a failure OS like Windows ME or Vista. Microsoft OS releases are like Star Trek movies, usually you should skip every other one.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:55 pm

Absolutely not. The metro interface is terrible for desktop PCs with multiple screens like mine, both my home and work computers have 2 - 3 monitors.
I don't know have Microsoft has been thinking trying to do a one-size-fits-all. I predict this will not end well for them .

Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:02 pm

madbrain wrote:Absolutely not. The metro interface is terrible for desktop PCs with multiple screens like mine, both my home and work computers have 2 - 3 monitors.

I'm imagining one tile per screen, it would be AMAZING! :sharebeer

Toons

Post by Toons » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:13 pm

Yes :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

FNK

Post by FNK » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:14 pm

And if you do, don't forget to http://getyourgoogleback.com ;-)

roymeo

Post by roymeo » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:51 pm

Many of the comments here show a misunderstanding: Windows 8 runs both in Classic and Metro modes. You don't have to run it on your desktop machine in Metro mode.
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo

OldOne

Post by OldOne » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:37 pm

Windows 95 still does the job for me :beer

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:46 pm

roymeo wrote:Many of the comments here show a misunderstanding: Windows 8 runs both in Classic and Metro modes. You don't have to run it on your desktop machine in Metro mode.

I tried both the developer preview and consumer previews, and there was no obvious way to turn off Metro except some registry hack that I had to google for. Obviously not the way Microsoft intends the product to work.
Have they changed that for the release ? Do you get a choice during the install of "No Metro UI" ?

I also found the advertised speed improvements to be lacking with the previews. Windows 8 was much slower to boot for me than 7 .

Seems every time anything serious changes on your machine (new drivers, patches, etc) the new OS spends a lot of time trying to "optimize", apparently building some caching database for future boot sequences. Subsequent boot are fast, but the first boot after any change is slow.

Unfortunately, since I just put the machine to sleep, and only reboot when required for such drivers/patches, this made every boot about twice as long as with 7.

I also ran into some incompatibility that caused the install DVD to take 30 mins with the preview before showing the first screen, vs 1 min with Windows 7. Not sure what that was about, but it was very unnerving for a 6 core machine with 8GB of RAM.

I hope the release is better, but not looking forward to it.

OAG

Post by OAG » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:15 pm

Spent most of today installing W8 on two computers - a relatively new Notebook and a 4 year old Desktop. Both went smoothly. I never installed the pre-release of W8 so I spent part of the day learning W8 on the Notebook and then this evening installed it on the Desktop. Both went very smoothly and took about an hour and a half from start to finish (start of download and the W8 Welcome Screen). I was very surprised that virtually everything worked that was working under W7. IMO the missing start oval is no big thing as everything can be run from the W8 screen (the Windows Key actually can be used to switch from Metro and the older screen). I was also surprised that the Desktop runs just fine under W8 although it is a bit old. Added Note: Already today there were 5 Windows 8 Updates to download and install. Also MSE is gone replaced (absorbed) by the Windows Defender Application.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979.

lj3jim

Post by lj3jim » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:02 pm

I spent 2 hours waiting in the rain in Seattle to purchase 2 Surface tablets. I am a Windows Phone 7 user, so the user interface on the tablet is pretty familiar to me. Surface can see all the computers and shared files on my home network. It connected easily to my Epson printer. The included version of Office 13 will be very handy (Word and Excel for me). The mail app connects to my Exchange account, as does Calendar. I'm very pleased with Surface!

On the other hand, I've been using the preview edition of Windows 8 on a laptop. I've had a lot of trouble getting used to the Metro UI on a non-touch machine. I will probably upgrade one computer to Win8 now, but will wait with the rest of them.

Regards, Jim

BIGal

Post by BIGal » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:49 pm

We have converted to the Mac too. I did the Parallels/Quicken thing for a while...but then found out the new Mac OS (for around $30) required a Parallels upgrade (around 60) too...So, I picked up a Toshiba laptop and now do Quicken on it...too bad Quicken for Mac is so inferior. I have no intention of upgrading to Windows 8....I do run Microsoft Office for Mac (2011, I think)...and really like it.

natureexplorer

Post by natureexplorer » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:15 pm

I checked out Windows 8 at the Microsoft and Sony store. The system doesn't seem to be ready for prime time. If you currently don't have a touch device, then you definitely don't want to switch. At least not yet. However, even the touch devices are not that great yet. For example, the Chrome browser only runs in the non-touch-optimized user interface and not in the touch-optimized interface.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:19 am

Every preview review I've read on Windows 8 says Metro can be turned off to resemble Windows XP/7. I'll be purchasing the $40 online only upgrade as it is only available for a limited time. Afterwards, you have to pay full price. It's not about fixing what isn't broke. I'd be running windows XP if that were the case. It's about keeping your existing machine up to date to run the latest software and hardware. I switched to 7 so that I could get 64-bit, greater than 3 gb ram, newest version of internet explorer, latest version of directx for games, etc. However, I won't be installing Windows 8 until the first service pack is released or I need something from it for whatever reason. I'll let early adopters do the complaining for me.

ResNullius

Post by ResNullius » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:49 am

johnep wrote:I have no plans to upgrade as I see no compelling benefits for me personally.

I don't either. I asked my computer guy who made my computer about upgrading to Windows 8, since my current computer is getting quite old (upgraded in past years to XP). He said for me not to get Windows 8, but go with Windows 7, for many of the reasons already mentioned.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:11 am

I will be purchasing two copies via the $14.95 upgrade but that is just to have them for future use. I mostly have abandoned Windows for Linux but I have a few specialized uses for Windows but they don't really lend themselves to Win8. One I have a high end HP scanner bought used that uses software from the XP days but it runs fine on Win7 so I have a dual boot system Linux Mint/Win7 that I boot into Windows for to use the scanner (it works with Linux but the HP software which is Windows only is much better but I suspect I'd be pushing my luck trying to run it on Win8 and in any case I am not in Windows long enough to really worry about an upgrade on that). The other Windows box I have is a Home Theater PC which is actually still on Vista because I have it exactly the way I want it and don't want to touch it. That said over the holidays I'll probably upgrade it to Win7 (I have some specialized software that does not current run on Win8 for sure).

brianH

Post by brianH » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:05 pm

mmmodem wrote:Every preview review I've read on Windows 8 says Metro can be turned off to resemble Windows XP/7.

It can't so much be turned off as you can just jump past Metro (new Start screen) directly to the more traditional desktop. The Windows key + D will jump you into the desktop. What bothers me, however, is that you'll be jumping back to Metro land anytime you want to search, change computer settings, or do other tasks. If you only work with a few programs, they can be pinned to the taskbar (like W7), and you'll limit the Metro intrusion to just the first boot up.

This program http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/ (Start8) is a better alternative to the open source tool mentioned earlier. It costs $5, but it allows you to configure more options about how W8 runs. With it, you're almost back to a W7 machine.

Driver

Post by Driver » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:24 pm

I just migrated to Windows 8 (clean install). It took a few hours to get used to but it seems great. In my opinion many people will freak out over the changes (I did at first) from Windows 7, but if you take the time to actually get used to the interface you'll find that it's actually pretty easy to use. Keyboard shortcuts help. You can pin programs to the start screen or taskbar just like to make it look similar to Windows 7. I have to admit I was sceptical about Windows 8, but after having used it I've changed my mind. I'm using it on a desktop. I can imagine it'll work even better on a tablet.

pcsrini

Post by pcsrini » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:03 pm

I am not a big Microsoft fan, but I have installed on a couple of the Windows 7 Computers at home, and I must say that I am impressed. Easy install, and the new features seem intuitive. The one thing that I had to learn was Alt+F4 to shut down the computer.

DaveS

Post by DaveS » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:26 pm

Epsilon Delta wrote:8 is an even number. Historically, even numbered MS operating systems have been worse than average.

Yes and my astrologer said 8 came out at a bad time. Dave

jwa

Post by jwa » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:22 pm

I am so backwards. I have an old box computer with XP that works splendily. I have an old clamshell cell phone that costs a total of $10 a month. For my other mobile device I have a Palm TX. I watch my TV through an antenna. Call me old fashion but it is so cheap living on the lagging edge. :D

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:03 pm

jwa wrote:I watch my TV through an antenna. Call me old fashion ...

You should call it wireless TV, that way your on the cutting edge. :D

Winthorpe

Post by Winthorpe » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:08 pm

Vista has been working great for my needs since 2008. No plans to change any time soon.

wilpat

Post by wilpat » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:45 pm

I upgraded yesterday and have been using it ever since (WOW day and a half) and it works fine. I don't use their fancy start menu, as I have all of my apps on the desktop. I have bypassed their start menu and use the old "Classic Start" menu. (I even used it with windows 7).

It works almost exactly like windows 7 (for me)!
Contrary to the belief of many, profit is not a four letter word!