Portable Drill / Screw Gun - battery replacements?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
PacNorWest

Portable Drill / Screw Gun - battery replacements?

Post by PacNorWest »

Does anyone have a good source for replacement rechargeable batteries for hand held drill guns?
It seems like the replacement batteries that I've found cost almost as much as a new drill gun.
Abe

Re: Portable Drill / Screw Gun - battery replacements?

Post by Abe »

Don't know if they are cheaper or not, but have you checked eBay.
Slow and steady wins the race.
thewizzer

Post by thewizzer »

Interstate batteries. They can either rebuild the battery or replace it with a new one. They aren't especially cheap (usually in the $50-70 price range), but the batteries are especially well built.
jegallup

Post by jegallup »

It's often a better deal (revolting as this may sound) to buy a whole new unit. They really gouge you for replacement batteries. New unit will have higher voltage/more power, more features, etc. Lithium ion batteries are definitely the way to go, if your current tool doesn't use them.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Abe wrote:Don't know if they are cheaper or not, but have you checked eBay.

Counterfeit batteries are a problem on eBay, in addition to not working well they can be a fire hazard.
thomase

Post by thomase »

For the reasons you state, I've given up on rechargeable tools. I still have an older Makita 9.6 volt drill sitting in a bin. Two replacement nickle metal hydride batteries will cost me more than the whole original setup, which included the drill, charger, flashlight, and two batteries. Now I just use two corded drills, a Makita and a lightweight Ryobi.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

I'd love it if someone has an answer to this. I've taken to buying brands that use the same battery for several tools. Then when the batteries wear out, I end up buying the cheapest tool I can find that uses the same battery. Consequently I have a few Hitachi handheld cordless lights around.
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

My solution to the tool battery replacement dilemma is to purchase Ridgid tools. They have a lifetime free battery replacement policy. Make sure you register your tool(s) online when purchased to validate the warranty. I'm about to replace my drill batteries for the second time.
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

PacNorWest wrote:Does anyone have a good source for replacement rechargeable batteries for hand held drill guns?
It seems like the replacement batteries that I've found cost almost as much as a new drill gun.
What kind of drill do you have?

I (and more than one of my contractor buddies) have had great experiences with Dewalt.
southwest_stacker

Post by southwest_stacker »

Look into Ridgid tools from home depot. I don't necessarily think they are the best tools but they are nice. They offer a lifetime warranty which includes coverage for the batteries.
Topic Author
PacNorWest

Post by PacNorWest »

guitarguy wrote:
PacNorWest wrote:Does anyone have a good source for replacement rechargeable batteries for hand held drill guns?
What kind of drill do you have?

I (and more than one of my contractor buddies) have had great experiences with Dewalt.
The Porter Cable went to the trash - it was cheaper to buy a new drill motor and battery set.
Currently have a Makita with E-bay replacement batteries - I can tell these are weaker batteries but they can do small jobs okay.
Also have a Dewalt with one bad battery and one good battery.

Have to check out the Rigid line. Also Costco. Hate to dispose of perfectly good drill motors though. . .
JustBill

Post by JustBill »

Perhaps I've just been lucky, but batteries.com has proven a good, competitive source for replacement power cells for tools and laptops. They frequently send via email discount specials, free shipping..., and the like. When our children were younger and the need existed for what seemed like 1000's of alkaline batteries, I used the same firm for really quality product and sharp prices.
JustBill

Post by JustBill »

Oddly enough I received a promotional email from batteries.com today for 15% off power tool batteries. Use code VRM12
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

"Give away the razor and sell the blades" is a winning marketing strategy for many products other than razors, battery powered tools and printers among them.

My advice would be to purchase medium quality tools that meet your needs but do not significantly exceed them, and always purchase tools that include a battery. Also, purchase tools for which batteries are interchangeable from tool to tool. Now buy a charger that will keep your batteries charged without overcharging and prolong the life of your batteries.

When a tool finally dies or you just need an additional tool, buy one that includes the battery, the combination usually costs about the same as the tool or battery alone. In this way you will end up with multiple tools and multiple batteries purchased at different times and you may never need to buy the expensive replacement batteries alone. I have done this with the Ryobi One+ line of tools for many years and have yet to buy a standalone battery.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!