$800 to burn on fitness related expense

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
newkidontheblock

$800 to burn on fitness related expense

Post by newkidontheblock » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:01 am

Hi:

I get $800 from work every year to spend on fitness related expense. I have a home gym so I don't need gym membership.
I have elliptical, power tower for chin ups, pull ups and a body solid all in one home gym. There is not muck
H space left in the home gym.

I work out 4-5 times a week. I do cardio and light weights.

Fitness related expense may be anything like fitness program, bike, electronics etc.

Let me know if you have any suggestions for me.

ObliviousInvestor

Re: $800 to burn on fitness related expense

Post by ObliviousInvestor » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:46 am

How about something like this (if it's available in your area and would be eligible under your work plan)?
*10-visit pass to local climbing gym
*Belay certification class at climbing gym
*Harness, climbing shoes, belay device, carabiner.

That should cover about half of the $800, leaving you with some cash to burn for a climbing rope and other gear after you get really into it. :)
Mike Piper, author/blogger

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:53 am

Buy something a family member would like to have and give it as a Christmas gift.

HGPennypacker

Post by HGPennypacker » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:54 am

What about a rowing machine? You get cardio, upper body, and lower body at the same time. A good quality rowing machine should be in your price allocation.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:56 am

I really enjoy getting outside to work out whenever possible. If you live in a good area to ride a bike (and don't currently have one) I'd recommend it. My wife and I ride in our local area but really enjoy taking our bikes to the local rail-to-trails for 15-30 mile rides.

If you need to transport your bike check out one of these - they are elegantly simple and effective...
http://www.1upusa.com/
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

redhounds

Post by redhounds » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:59 am

Buy a new Garmin GPS watch and 8 pairs of these http://www.run.com/brooks-ghost-4-men-s ... MgodAWwA6A, size 11&1/2. I can PM you my address whenever you're ready to ship the stuff out :D
--Red

wm631

Post by wm631 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:06 am

A stationary bike - no question on this, really. They're relatively cheap (and DON'T buy a cheap one - you do get what you pay for here, in quality and durability) and last forever, with minimum maintenance. My current one is 7 years old; at least 4-5 days a week of hard biking. And the conditioning factor for your plan will be excellent.

jej

Post by jej » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:29 am

HGPennypacker wrote:What about a rowing machine? You get cardio, upper body, and lower body at the same time. A good quality rowing machine should be in your price allocation.
+1

The make to get is Concept 2. They hold up to commercial use, and have great after-sale customer service if you need parts or advice. Get it set up with a heart rate monitor.

I find I still need to do a couple things for the body parts it does not work to my satisfaction: some sort of press, overhead pull downs or chins, and light full squats for the stretch.

Oh - get a nice pair of headphones while you are at it. Books on tape will get you through a lot of rowing.

tyrion

Post by tyrion » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:31 am

wm631 wrote:A stationary bike - no question on this, really. They're relatively cheap (and DON'T buy a cheap one - you do get what you pay for here, in quality and durability) and last forever, with minimum maintenance. My current one is 7 years old; at least 4-5 days a week of hard biking. And the conditioning factor for your plan will be excellent.
Even better than a stationary bike, a real bike!

newkidontheblock

Post by newkidontheblock » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:51 am

I live in twin cities, mn and I already own on bike. It is 10 years old but still works well.

Thank you so much for all these suggestions. I am going to start investigating some of your suggestions.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:05 am

I get $400 through work and I have trouble coming up with things to spend money on, too. I tried buying a tennis racquet. Not covered. Ditto with running shoes. So far as I can tell the only thing covered is a bike (which I already have) and a gym membership (which I don't need/want). Pretty useless.

norookie

Post by norookie » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:10 am

Good Luck!
Last edited by norookie on Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c

wm631

Post by wm631 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:22 am

by tyrion » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:31 am

wm631 wrote:
A stationary bike - no question on this, really. They're relatively cheap (and DON'T buy a cheap one - you do get what you pay for here, in quality and durability) and last forever, with minimum maintenance. My current one is 7 years old; at least 4-5 days a week of hard biking. And the conditioning factor for your plan will be excellent.

Even better than a stationary bike, a real bike!tyrion

Except when the temperature is -5 degrees and the wind is howling. Or, the rain is streaming down you're neck. I'll stick with my all-purpose staionary bike, and use a regular bike as a back-up.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:48 am

jej wrote:
HGPennypacker wrote:What about a rowing machine? You get cardio, upper body, and lower body at the same time. A good quality rowing machine should be in your price allocation.
+1

The make to get is Concept 2. They hold up to commercial use, and have great after-sale customer service if you need parts or advice. Get it set up with a heart rate monitor.

I find I still need to do a couple things for the body parts it does not work to my satisfaction: some sort of press, overhead pull downs or chins, and light full squats for the stretch.

Oh - get a nice pair of headphones while you are at it. Books on tape will get you through a lot of rowing.
+! I use a rowung machine (Concept 2) at the gym about 3 times a week. For cardio, I walk/jog, rowing machine, stationary bike, versaclimber and Elliptical. I try to alternate days and do wiights/weight machines 3 times a week as well.

I also strongly recommend a heart rate monitor (less than $100).

ge1

Post by ge1 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:50 am

personal trainer sessions

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:00 am

ge1 wrote:personal trainer sessions
+1

It sounds like you can pretty much do what you need to do with your home gym so why not use the money on a personal trainer, who can insure that you stay on track and focused? That should be good for several sessions.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:02 pm

ge1 wrote:personal trainer sessions
+1 This is the very first thing that occurred to me reading your post, and I was just scanning down to see if I would post it or +1 it.

I never knew the benefit of this until I actually did it. It is weird how much two sessions changed my routine - somehow it empowered me to really exercise in a more beneficial way. Would have done it much sooner if I had any idea.

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:29 pm

A Concept2 rowing machine is great, especially if you live in a place where the weather often makes indoor exercise a very attractive option :-) I bought a used one when I lived in Minneapolis and it really helped keep me sane through the long winters.

But you mention that there is not much space left in your home gym. That could be a problem as you need a space of about 8' by 2.5' to use the machine.

Gustie13

Post by Gustie13 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:40 pm

I know you said you weren't looking for a gym membership, but I live in the Twin Cities as well and do CrossFit at a CF dedicated gym in the area. Great workout! You can do a lot of the stuff at home if you like but I noticed you said you don't have much room available. Thats my plug! :D

CrossOverGuy

Post by CrossOverGuy » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:06 pm

You could possibly take dance classes or private dance lessons. Ballroom, swing, and Latin dances could be learned with private lessons; they are hot again as shows like "Dancing with the Stars" are top-rated. Also classes in things like tap dance (which require special shoes), jazz and other varieties teach skills you can show off, are great for aerobic workouts and for coordination. You can stay in the back of the class until you feel more confident, then you can move up. If you've never taken dance classes before, you can always start with some private lessons. They are fun, and you can get quite a workout. Ever get a look at some of those dancers' bodies?

Another alternative: find an indoor pool and go swimming. If you need help with your strokes, get some private or class swimming lessons.

englishgirl

Post by englishgirl » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Personal training sessions, so you can get the most out of your current equipment.

Classes in something that works you out differently from your current exercise - dance, pilates, yoga, martial arts, climbing, crossfit...

Classes in something that may or may not count as fitness (depending on how that is defined by your company) but which would be fun - archery, horse riding, circus skills...
Sarah

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:23 pm

Alex Frakt wrote:A Concept2 rowing machine is great, especially if you live in a place where the weather often makes indoor exercise a very attractive option :-) I bought a used one when I lived in Minneapolis and it really helped keep me sane through the long winters.

But you mention that there is not much space left in your home gym. That could be a problem as you need a space of about 8' by 2.5' to use the machine.
I use a Concept 2 Rowing maching at a gym. I love it. The ones there have the little monitors that show calories, meters, time, distance and all that kind of stuff. The seem (not 100% sure) to provide for some kind of connection to heart rate monitor. Some models (I think) do not have the monitor -- so before you buy one, make sure it has the features you want/need.

I have never used any other type of rowing machine, but from what I read, if space is a problem, there are ones (different type completely) that fold up when not in use.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:35 pm

Can you get an advance on next year's money? I know someone with one of these:
Triton Swim Trainer
Price: $2595.00 delivered worldwide!*

Super Savings ends October 30
$1000 off plus Free Shipping*
New delivered cost: $1595.00
http://www.tritonfitness.com

tetractys

Post by tetractys » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:58 pm

Join a kung-fu club. Sell all the useless machines--they're too slow and always break. Well a couple things are useful: a strong pull-up bar to do stretching, upside down and vertical pull-ups for the back and shoulders, etc., a pair of strong one piece dumb bells that won't fly apart, and a body ball. Or...$800 huh; how about a 6 masseur massage? -- Tet

campy2010

Post by campy2010 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:56 pm

Buy something that can be returned or re-sold (as long as this agrees with the terms of your benefit) and spend the $800 on something you need. REI has a very liberal return policy and I'm sure there are other companies that are similar.

Or, take a ski vacation.

Stupendous

Post by Stupendous » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:08 pm

If you have room outside to store them pick up some tractor tires for some tires workouts. But that may not be for you if you stick to light weights.

lws6772

Post by lws6772 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:52 pm

I often ride a bicycle to work and some errands, $800 would buy quite the nice bicycle. :)

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:14 pm

wm631 wrote:A stationary bike - no question on this, really. They're relatively cheap (and DON'T buy a cheap one - you do get what you pay for here, in quality and durability) and last forever, with minimum maintenance. My current one is 7 years old; at least 4-5 days a week of hard biking. And the conditioning factor for your plan will be excellent.
The OP said in his original post that he doesn't have much room.

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:34 pm

I would go for personal trainer sessions - should be about $60+ bucks a session
Or, Yoga and/or Pilates classes - great for strength and flexibility - or personal sessions also in the $60+ cost range.

Money well spent and, if you are in Northern VA, my daughter is a personal trainer and can help you spend the money :)
Rich
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

reisner

Post by reisner » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:37 pm

Tai Chi above all. Yoga if you like it. Pilates if you are jointed like a woman. Plus Indian Clubs--they're staging a comeback, And then a couple of pair if good walking shoes a year and maybe some other outdoors expenses if your benefit covers those--outings in biking, birdwatching, kayaking, etc.

newkidontheblock

Post by newkidontheblock » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:56 pm

Thanks once again for all the great suggestions.
I took measurements and found that my home gym did have enough space for the rowing machine.
So here are the winners:
I will buy a concept 2 rowing machine now and take training lessons in January when I will have another $800 to spend.
I will save this thread for future suggestions.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:19 pm

newkidontheblock wrote:Thanks once again for all the great suggestions.
I took measurements and found that my home gym did have enough space for the rowing machine.
So here are the winners:
I will buy a concept 2 rowing machine now and take training lessons in January when I will have another $800 to spend.
You could still get the swimming machine using a credit card; pay $800 now and $800 in January. :)

All sorts of people have rowing machines; only a few have swimming machines. Be one of the few, the proud, ... oops, wrong advertisement.

xerty24

Post by xerty24 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:49 am

sscritic wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote: I will buy a concept 2 rowing machine now and take training lessons in January when I will have another $800 to spend
You could still get the swimming machine using a credit card; pay $800 now and $800 in January. :)
be careful with that, most of the time the purchase date is what counts and that's the day they charge your card (regardless of when you get around to paying it). You'd need some sort of layaway plan where they charge your card twice, once now and once next year.
No excuses, no regrets.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:43 am

Would therapeutic massages be part of this? If so, go to town, getting a good massage is like a vacation for your body. If this fits the criteria you can go a few times each month.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:37 am

OP lives in the twin cities where there are lots of lakes... would a kayak qualify?
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:24 am

newkidontheblock wrote:Thanks once again for all the great suggestions.
So here are the winners:
"Training Lessons"??? I would find something of more value than training lessons for a rowing machine. There are several online videos showing "proper" techniques (not rocket science or brain surgery) of rowing on a machine.

If you have more money next year, I suggest a heart rate monltor (if you don;t already have one), some books on heart rate training ( this is just one good one, IMO, by Sally Edwards http://www.bing.com/shopping/the-heart- ... &FORM=HURE ) .

You might also see if you could just get a basic Concept 2 without the screen display, then add that feature next year [I dont know if that is possible or not)